PDA

View Full Version : Phrases that trigger songs

Aliquid
2015-06-23, 12:21 PM
There are some phrases that trigger a song in my head when I hear them.

For example:

If I hear anyone say "Here's the situation".... my brain automatically starts singing "Parent's just don't understand" by DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince.

If I hear anyone say "peaches"... my brain starts singing the "Peaches" song by The Presidents of the United States of America

This happens literally every time I hear the phrase (or word)... kinda drives me crazy.

Anybody else have this problem?

Mx.Silver
2015-06-23, 12:37 PM
I vaguely recall someone, I don't remember who exactly, saying something about this to me in the past. Sadly, I can't seem to recall what that somebody once told me...

blacklight101
2015-06-23, 04:42 PM
"Stop"

Collaborate and listen

Hammertime

In the name of love

Also, Don't stop me now

I am of the era where these songs were popular. Queen is the usual result.

Lateral
2015-06-23, 04:52 PM
Any time someone starts a sentence with the phrase "Now, this is..." (or any variant of such), I automatically fill in the rest of their story with the theme song to Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Will Smith just seems to be the king of this.

Comrade
2015-06-23, 06:09 PM
Whenever somebody starts complaining about their parents... Well... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nviui4oI80)

Jormengand
2015-06-23, 06:58 PM
To my eternal shame, when someone mentioned that they had a whole city behind them, my mind immediately switched to Can't Hold Us.

Starwulf
2015-06-23, 08:21 PM
Bird: Bird is the word :)

Rodin
2015-06-23, 09:27 PM
Not a song, but every time I hear the word "Sedative", I immediately think "SED-A-GIVE!?!?!?!?"

Mauve Shirt
2015-06-23, 09:33 PM
I don't know many bands, but I know many songs by the bands I enjoy, and almost every phrase can trigger at least a They Might Be Giants song.

Also if it's any six-syllable phrase (for example, Giant In The Playground) I'll sing it to either Girlfriend In A Coma or Gary Indiana.

TurboGhast
2015-06-23, 09:56 PM
I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was...
- Pokémon theme song

Chromascope3D
2015-06-23, 11:04 PM
"Stop"

HE-EY WHAT'S THAT SOU-UND, EVERYBODY LOOK WHAT'S GOIN DOW-WN

Man, this is just one of those things that I actually think about a lot, but now that I'm actually trying to, I'm just drawing blanks.

Aliquid
2015-06-24, 12:13 AM
I don't know many bands, but I know many songs by the bands I enjoy, and almost every phrase can trigger at least a They Might Be Giants song.
Thinking of TMBG: There is a note that says "turn around" on a bulletin board at work... every time I pass it I continue the phrase with "there's a thing there that can be found"

SarahV
2015-06-24, 01:04 AM
I ride the subway to work, and every time I arrive in the station, walk to the track and take a look down the tunnel to see if a train is visible in the distance... if there's a train? I see that train a-comin', it's rollin' round the bend, and I ain't seen sunshine since I don't know when... I'm stuck in Folsom Prison... etc.

Sometimes if circumstance is a little different (e.g., if the train is already pulling into the station as I arrive) I will get "Freight Train" in my head instead, but the lyrics are substituted with my train line instead of "Freight train" ... C train, C train, run so fast, C train, C train, run so fast - please don't tell them what train I'm on, they won't know what route I've gone...

I don't know what it is with me and classic train songs. (...Well I broke down in East St Louis, on the Kansas City line... oh, here I go again!)

I think I'd better end this post before I end up with "This Train is Bound for Glory" in my head...

Comissar
2015-06-24, 01:24 AM
Phenomenon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ) (or similar)

Castaras
2015-06-24, 01:45 AM
Phrases that trigger songs for me:

"We're halfway there" - WOAA-OH! LIVIN' ON A PRAAAA-YEERR! (Bon Jovi, Livin' on a Prayer)

...having difficulty thinking of others. Huh. Kinda hard to know what songs I burst into when I hear certain words when the certain words are not being said.

Mentions of Danger result in "I WENT TO THE DANGER ZONE!" (Kenny Loggins, Danger Zone), which is then followed by retellings of awesome roleplaying adventures of David Bowie jumping out of a window with a jetpack after helping an octopus fill the police HQ's air vents with fun substances.

Not quite phrases that trigger songs, but whenever something results in Space Oddity by David Bowie being sung, the following occurs with someone I know:

"Ground control to major Tom..."
Tom: "What?"
"Ground control to major Tom..."
Tom: "Whaaaaaaaaaat?"

Also, there are so many computer games that trigger songs in my head, or parts of songs, because I've been playing music at the time of playing the game.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 brings the chorus of Peter Gabriel's "Not one of us", travelling through space in games brings up part of Marillion's Grendel, due to me listening to that while playing Spore, and playing Mojang's Scrolls gets the My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Cafeteria Song stuck in my head.

TurboGhast
2015-06-24, 08:45 AM
Other things I thought of:
"Rolling around at the speed of sound... " - City Escape, from Sonic Adventure 2

Chromascope3D
2015-06-24, 01:23 PM
"We're halfway there"

Oh yeah, that's another one, only I end up thinking of that Big Time Rush song. Not because I ever watched the show, but because they always played it during commercial breaks, and I guess I kinda got Stockholm Syndrome from it.

CurlyKitGirl
2015-06-24, 03:23 PM
Any time someone starts a sentence with the phrase "Now, this is..." (or any variant of such), I automatically fill in the rest of their story with the theme song to Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Will Smith just seems to be the king of this.

Well, obviously. :smallsmile:

Phrases that trigger songs for me:

"We're halfway there" - WOAA-OH! LIVIN' ON A PRAAAA-YEERR! (Bon Jovi, Livin' on a Prayer)

...having difficulty thinking of others. Huh. Kinda hard to know what songs I burst into when I hear certain words when the certain words are not being said.

Also obviously.

As for really obvious ones not seen yet. Ahem:
"You remind me of the babe." :smalltongue:
Actually, my very first thought was "Is this the real life?"

Followed by
*stamp*
*stamp*
*clap*

Eloel
2015-06-24, 03:25 PM
What is love?

Emperordaniel
2015-06-24, 04:25 PM
Every time I hear someone mention the word "rude", I involuntarily start thinking of Magic!'s "Rude". Sometimes humming or singing it as well.
Why you gotta be so food, don't you know pizza too...
And thanks to a certain let's-player I'm rather fond of watching, I also sometimes replace the lyrics of that song with food-related words when I hear the word "food" mentioned. :smallannoyed::smalltongue:

Jak
2015-06-24, 05:57 PM
Every time someone says the phrase "How did that happen?" I almost always answer them immediately with "Yo ho ho, he took a bite of gum gum!"

Not a fan of the show, but that part of the song is just too catchy.

Callin
2015-06-24, 07:53 PM
I do this all the time. I love music and it has imprinted itself on my brain for so many different occasions that something is usually gonna trigger it once or twice a day. At least.

Jormengand
2015-06-25, 11:43 AM
What is love?

Baby don't hurt me.

Socratov
2015-06-26, 07:17 AM
Let's see, I've got some which haven't been mentioned yet:

I tell you what I want, I usually follow up with What I really really want (you can roughly tell my age by now)

if someone says "Hmmmmmmm" (as in this is good) I pretend Günther drops by and finishes the thought with "You touch my tralala"

Chromascope3D
2015-06-26, 03:37 PM
I did just remember, something that happen far more often with me is when someone will say something and I'll manage to relate it to a Spongebob quote.

Domino Quartz
2015-06-26, 11:27 PM
Whenever someone says the word "mango", or even when I think about mangoes, it triggers this song (http://www.weebls-stuff.com/other-toons/video/mango.html) in my head.

Killer Angel
2015-06-27, 02:58 AM
Every time someone is very emotioned, and starts with "I don't know what to say...", suddenly I think to Iron Maiden's "Hallowed be thy name" (the part ...but words escape me, when I try to speak (https://youtu.be/J51LPlP-s9o?t=120))

Tentreto
2015-06-27, 06:03 AM
Whenever someone says there is a lot of thunder and lightening, I always reply: Very very frightening. This happens surprisingly often.

Socratov
2015-06-28, 02:25 PM
lalately a musician is having a hit in the Netherlands with "Ik voel me sexy als ik dans" (I feel sexy when I dance), which features the sentence "Weet je wat het is met me..." (You knwo what's up with me?) followed by the songtitle. So, when my gf asks me something along the lines of "Weet je wat het is?" I frequently asnwer "Je Volet je sexy als je danst?" (you feel sexy when you dance?). Whcih isn't always considered funny (even though I find myself hilarious by then).

Killer Angel
2015-06-29, 02:29 PM
Not exactly a phrase but...
in the "media discussion" subforum, there's a thread about Pixar's recent film "Inside out".
It's all day long that Pink Floyd are having a concert in my brain, playing only wearing the inside out. :smalltongue:

5a Violista
2015-06-29, 03:24 PM
Anybody else have this problem?

This happens to me all the time.

In general, I have some sort of beat or melody or chord structure going through my head, like, most all the day. Usually, it's improv, which means that random things that people say get put to music in my head anyway.

And then when they say words that actually go to songs I know, the improv shifts to that actual song.

Even more! When it's Disney or Broadway or sometimes Gospel songs that I know, I frequently suddenly sing them aloud. (Or, at least the next line from them.) (That's something all my family does, so it's not that weird, like, at all. Some of my friends do it, too.) ((Of course, when I'm in a situation where it would be totally inappropriate to burst out singing, the only solution is to say instead of sing the words and hope that everyone around me breaks out into laughter after an awkward pause.))

It's fun.
You should try it. Don't imprison the songs in your head! Let them free!

Emperordaniel
2015-06-29, 10:23 PM
This happens to me all the time.

In general, I have some sort of beat or melody or chord structure going through my head, like, most all the day. Usually, it's improv, which means that random things that people say get put to music in my head anyway.

And then when they say words that actually go to songs I know, the improv shifts to that actual song.

Even more! When it's Disney or Broadway or sometimes Gospel songs that I know, I frequently suddenly sing them aloud. (Or, at least the next line from them.) (That's something all my family does, so it's not that weird, like, at all. Some of my friends do it, too.) ((Of course, when I'm in a situation where it would be totally inappropriate to burst out singing, the only solution is to say instead of sing the words and hope that everyone around me breaks out into laughter after an awkward pause.))

It's fun.
You should try it. Don't imprison the songs in your head! Let them free!

So, you're saying that on that subject... we should just let it go?

ohgodsnowIhavethatsonginmyheadagain

:smalltongue:

JustSomeGuy
2015-06-30, 01:58 AM
Do you remember? (Marillion)

Do remember? (Michael jackson)

Well i remember/i remember don't worry (phil collins)

Can't remember any others right now, although just reading the word 'mango' there threw up the reply 'pop an apple im his ass yeah' from flight of the conchords' song 'mutha*****'. I suspect that would only work hearing it in an exaggerated new zealand accent though

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-06-30, 02:42 AM
I am so triggered

BWR
2015-06-30, 03:24 AM
This happens all the time to me. I'm not sure there are words/phrases which always or mostly trigger phrases, but there are some definite strong tendencies.
The word 'dance' often has me going to Magic Dance from the Labyrinth
'Chaos' gets me started on the opening song for Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
"Everybody knows" gets Leonard Cohen going in my mind.
The spell "water walk" or anything similar triggers Motorpsycho's "Walking on the water"
"The End" triggers the Doors

There are numerous times that songs will trigger because of a phrase or word but not often enough to make it a common occurance for any given trigger.

Alent
2015-06-30, 04:25 AM
Several other people seem to have the same triggers, but one I haven't seen mentioned is a pretty obvious 80's child trigger.

Any variant of "You got the touch" causes a little imaginary Stan Bush to appear on my shoulder and go "You got the powaaaa... Yeaaaaaaah!"

JustSomeGuy
2015-06-30, 05:42 AM
Any variant of "You got the touch" causes a little imaginary Stan Bush to appear on my shoulder and go "You got the powaaaa... Yeaaaaaaah!"

I think your spellcheck misscorrected "optimus prime doing some cool flips while wrecking up all the decepticons". Who's this stan bush fella anyway?

Scarlet Knight
2015-06-30, 11:14 AM
When telling time, if someone says " it's only half past..."

I finish with "...Twelve, but I don't care! It's 5 O'clock somewhere!"

:smallcool:

Alent
2015-07-01, 01:40 AM
Add "I'm just a poor boy" to the list of triggers. My dad said it as a joke earlier and I almost Galileo'd him.

I think your spellcheck misscorrected "optimus prime doing some cool flips while wrecking up all the decepticons". Who's this stan bush fella anyway?

The singer for "The Touch" and "Dare" from the same movie as Optimus' awesome intro that forced Hasbro to make an entire new line of decepticons.

Killer Angel
2015-07-06, 06:07 AM
Every single time (with no exceptions) I heard or read the word "Budapest", suddenly Jethro Tull stars singing 'bout that hot night in Budapest...

Telonius
2015-07-06, 01:24 PM
Istanbul. (Not Constantinople). My college course in Middle Eastern Civ was particularly challenging...

Prince Zahn
2015-07-14, 04:29 AM
In my family, we can't even say "somewhere" without someone adding "over the rainbow....."

When I hear the name "Michelle" I sometimes start to hum the namesake song by The Beatles.

When people start talking about the human condition, or are arguing about something philosophical or big scale, I ask them most politely - "are we human, or are we dancer?"
Then I show them the music video and watch the haters squirm :smalltongue:

Anyone talking about working hard gets everyone to sing the chorus of that old sesame street song about a hard workin' dog.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, but I feel 20 years older just thinking about it. :smalltongue:

Jay R
2015-07-14, 02:29 PM
Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale...

It's a small world, after all...

[Don't blame me for what goes on in your head for the next three hours. You asked for these.]

The Succubus
2015-07-15, 08:26 AM
Never gonna give you up...

JustSomeGuy
2015-07-17, 05:23 PM
Alice... Alice?

Penguinator
2015-07-23, 01:21 AM
Every time someone says the phrase "How did that happen?" I almost always answer them immediately with "Yo ho ho, he took a bite of gum gum!"

I will second this one. With a few others.

The word physical - "Let's get physical, physical..."
When someone uses "So" as a sentence, it is always followed by, "A needle pulling thread."
Anytime someone says, "What do you want?" especially with poor diction, it turns into "What you want... baby I got it."

thompur
2015-07-23, 01:10 PM
It's so common in my family that, when my brother got married, we warned his bride-to-be, that she was marrying into a musical comedy!

One of my most common ones is whenever I hear somebody giving directions, and they say "to the right", I always sing to myself "ever to the right! Never to the left! Forever to the right!" From "Cool, Considerate Men" from 1776.

Penguinator
2015-07-23, 01:19 PM
One of my most common ones is whenever I hear somebody giving directions, and they say "to the right", I always sing to myself "ever to the right! Never to the left! Forever to the right!" From "Cool, Considerate Men" from 1776.

On that note, there are several triggers for the opening song from the same musical. Such as, "Sit down," particularly aimed at a "John," "can someone open up a window?" and complaints about "too many flies."

Also, "to the left." My band director in middle school both started in with, "Everything you own, in the box to the left."

Eighthling
2015-07-25, 07:52 PM
Never going to see ___ again - live it out by metric
It always darkest before the dawn - shake it out by Florence + the machine
what i wouldnt do - what i wouldnt do by a fine frenzy
It's to late - clone by metric

Hiro Protagonest
2015-07-25, 07:55 PM
It always darkest before the dawn

Whenever I hear that, I just think that it's scientifically incorrect.:smalltongue:

"Let's get down to business" to defeat... the Huns!

SirKazum
2015-08-03, 03:05 PM
Just used a phrase that's a big one.

"Good enough for me"... oh yaaay-yay-yay-yay-yaaaay...

Ruslan
2015-08-03, 11:25 PM
Whenever I see a "For Lease" sign, it immediately triggers Fur Elise playing in my head.

Penguinator
2015-08-04, 12:40 AM
"Look down..." ...Look down, don't look them in the eye... (Les Miserables)

"Keep walking..." ...But you won't knock down our wall! (VeggieTales)

"Bear claws." ...Got any bear claws? (Albuquerque, Weird Al)

Aliquid
2015-08-04, 01:29 PM
Whenever I see a "For Lease" sign, it immediately triggers Fur Elise playing in my head.ok, that made me laugh... and I'm betting I'm going to start doing that now.

PallElendro
2015-08-04, 02:13 PM
"Oh my goodness" turns into

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcJFdCmN98s