PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Question: Alignment rules

GrimFerrus
2015-06-23, 03:11 PM
Hi there,

I'm rather new to this forum so my bad if i'm posting in the wrong place and sorry for my bad English.

So I started of playing a true neutral char, but I regret that decision and started living up to the rules of good.
Now the problem that I have is that its not very clear what those rules could be, being good is very open to perspective.
So my question is there a list of rules for becoming lawfull good and any tips on maintaining it?

thanks in advance

ComaVision
2015-06-23, 03:17 PM
Your DM's opinion on that will matter a lot more than ours. There aren't formal rules for this.

Karl Aegis
2015-06-23, 04:03 PM
Tell us more about your character and what it does.

OldTrees1
2015-06-23, 04:10 PM
For most games, Good in game does not differ much from Good IRL. The easiest way to learn about in game alignments is to learn about Morality/Ethics IRL.

That said:
Most moral theories are some variation on helping is moral and harming is immoral. So if you try to help people(which is sometimes the opposite of assisting them with their goals) while trying to avoid/minimize harm to people you probably have a good foundation.

Flickerdart
2015-06-23, 04:18 PM
Hi there,

I'm rather new to this forum so my bad if i'm posting in the wrong place and sorry for my bad English.

So I started of playing a true neutral char, but I regret that decision and started living up to the rules of good.
Now the problem that I have is that its not very clear what those rules could be, being good is very open to perspective.
So my question is there a list of rules for becoming lawfull good and any tips on maintaining it?

thanks in advance
Take a look at the Book of Exalted Deeds for information on what good characters do. The paladin's code is also a good place to look for suggestions - try not to lie, cheat, harm innocents, associate with bad people, that sort of thing.

Generally though, the one thing that separates Good from Neutral is that you go out of your way to help others, even though it will cause you personal detriment of some sort. Neutral people will still help others if it costs them nothing, but might balk at rescuing a stranger from bandits.

If you want to make your transition to Lawful Good cemented in mechanics, find a Lawful Good cleric and ask him to cast atonement on you, using the option that lets a creature switch alignments to the caster's. Boom, you are now Lawful Good. Try not to kill people too much.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-06-23, 04:20 PM
Hi there,

thanks in advance

Alignment is stupid. Ask your DM if you can write good next to the neutral and be done with it. Play your character the way your character wants to be played. Alignment is stupid.

atemu1234
2015-06-24, 09:45 AM
Alignment is stupid. Ask your DM if you can write good next to the neutral and be done with it. Play your character the way your character wants to be played. Alignment is stupid.

You mentioned that twice in four sentences. It's two of your sentences.

Psyren
2015-06-24, 09:51 AM
Unless your class cares about being neutral (e.g. a Druid) you should be perfectly fine going LG.

Geddy2112
2015-06-24, 10:23 AM
This (http://www.easydamus.com/lawfulgood.html) is a pretty good overview of LG. While we could debate the finer points, most people will agree on the basics presented here.

Also, shifting alignment is (usually) not something that happens instantly, so you don't have to wake up one morning and be a beacon of order and goodness. Roleplaying a shift from true neutral to lawful good is a great experience. Do you want to start by being more good, and eventually become lawful, or the reverse? Or maybe you go diagonally and take on both in equal amounts, not stopping at LN or TG.

Urpriest
2015-06-24, 10:50 AM
One mistake new players often make is to decide to change alignment without mentioning it to anyone. If you're planning for your character to go from Neutral to Lawful Good, talk to your DM about it! You and your DM can come up with a story arc that makes the change make sense with your character's personality and that fits into the wider story of the game.

Inevitability
2015-06-24, 01:06 PM
Good in one word: altruism. If you are doing something solely for someone else's sake, it probably was a Good deed (unless that 'someone else' happened to be an Evil Overlord and you helped him destroy the world on purpose, of course).

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-06-25, 01:24 PM
You mentioned that twice in four sentences. It's two of your sentences.

It is more or less half of my entire philosophy of Dungeons and Dragons. Half of my philosophy of Dungeons and Dragons can be boiled down to alignment is stupid.

atemu1234
2015-06-25, 01:43 PM
It is more or less half of my entire philosophy of Dungeons and Dragons. Half of my philosophy of Dungeons and Dragons can be boiled down to alignment is stupid.

Not saying I disagree.

RedMage125
2015-06-25, 02:58 PM
To the OP: By a strict reading of the RAW (Rles As Written), behaving in a manner more consistent with Lawful Good than True Neutral for a long enough period of time (to be no less than a week of in-game time) will gradually shift one's alignment towards Lawful Good, one step at a time (first to Neutral Good or Lawful Neutral, then to LG).

HOWEVER, the RAW also state that for beginning characters, it is okay for alignment to be fluid, as players are still testing out how they want their character to behave and react to certain situations. It should be perfectly acceptable to talk to your DM and say "I know I initially said I was going to be Neutral, but I really feel that they way I have been acting is more Lawful Good. That's really the way I have been playing and the way i want to continue playing. May I just change my written alignment?". As you just started playing this character, this should be acceptable.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-06-25, 05:22 PM
Not saying I disagree.

I'm sad that you didn't keep the theme of redundancy.

ShaneMRoth
2015-06-25, 05:39 PM
If I was your DM, I'd just let you change your alignment and call it a day.

atemu1234
2015-06-25, 07:00 PM
I'm sad that you didn't keep the theme of redundancy.

Not saying I disagree.

Venger
2015-06-25, 08:37 PM
Hi there,

thanks in advance

welcome!

this subforum is the correct place for questions like this.

unless you have class features that are reliant on alignment, like an incarnate or paladin, then you should probably be fine just changing the letters on your sheet after giving your DM a heads up. they don't do anything besides decide which version of blasphemy hurts you.

my brother

If I was your DM, I'd just let you change your alignment and call it a day.
same.

basically as long as you and your GM remember that your actions dictate your alignment and not the other way around, you'll be fine.