PDA

View Full Version : Critique this build real quick please...

The J Pizzel
2015-06-23, 04:23 PM
My bard got one-shotted down to -7 last session then I failed three straight death saves. Oh well....new character!

What we got already:
Blaster sorcerer - Seriously, this dude loves to blow sh*t up.
Great weapon barbarian (insane dps and tank)
Rogue 2/death domain cleric 1+ - Fun character so far. Sneaky, uses a bow a lot. His dps isn't bad but he plans on continuing as a cleric. His spell selection will be splotchy. He's already done a good job as a healer, but I see him taking a little of everything the cleric has to offer. Heals, debuffs, battlefield control, maybe even a dps spell now and then.
Vengeance pally (kinda tanky with good dps) - dude loves to blow his smites and nova strike bad guys
ultimate utility wizzie - He's super pumped to be playing an old-school wizzie again (read: not 4E) and plans to take all those awesome buff, de-buff, and utility spells. He'll definitely have a dps spell or two, but it won't be his main. He lives to screw up the combat encounter with things like battlefield control, Ray of Enfeeblement, Banishment, things like that.

We're level 5.
Here's my quick backstory: I was an soldier recruit who was manifesting some odd spell-like powers. So the powers that be sent me to the artillery camp (warmages). Except I have no idea how to control my powers. I ended up getting my company killed and while dying I prayed to the gods to spare me and make me powerful on the battlefield and I'd never let a comrade die again. Thus...favored soul WAR DOMAIN!

Here's the build I have
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bw5e9uq4ber23nq/favoredsoul.pdf?dl=0

My plan here is to cover LOTS of bases all at once, and to also never have a boring round. Ever.

My basic weapon dps is good (extra attack soon)
AC is great
HP good and as I level fighter it'll get better.
3 dps cantrips to always have ready.
Lots of fun utility spells to help out (blind/deaf, featherfall, shield of faith, spiritual weapon!!!, misty step, plus other awesome pally/cleric spells with WAR domain)
I can throw spiritual weapon and do even more damage constant damage.
Plenty of options for reactions and bonus actions.
Metamagic points (seriously, i can quicken and double attack or i can to twin spell shocking grasp to get my weaklings out of melee with no OA's!) I can twin spell poison spray two people within 10 ft and do 2d12 to each!
Second wind
I can level fighter up to 4 and never waste a thing. I'd get action surge, maneuvers, and a feat.
Maneuvers would add even more options!

So again, my goal here is to never run out of fun things to do in a combat. I don't want to ever say "ummm..I just swing twice".

Thoughts?

jP

Easy_Lee
2015-06-23, 04:51 PM
I question whether you need the fighter level. You could just start with a 15 (after racial) in strength and take Heavily Armored (or whatever it's called) at 4. I believe that's a half feat, so you would get one point of strength as well, and could have unbroken FVS progression. That's what I would do unless I also wanted weapon proficiency.

It sounds a bit like you want a damage build. If so, here's how I would do it:
Level 1, half elf FVS, point buy three 14s, and a 13. 14->16CHA, 14->15STR, 14 CON, 13->14 DEX. Then take weapon master at 4 for +1 strength and pick up the weapons you want. I'd choose a greatsword. That way you have a favored soul who has all the stats he need, can make greatsword attacks, and can quicken spells for bonus actions when he wants to. Two weapon attacks at 5 plus a quickened AoE blast or spiritual weapon is some serious deeps.

Also, remember that sorcerers have CON saving throw prof, so you don't need to start fighter for that.

zinycor
2015-06-23, 05:01 PM
I believe you are missing an ASI or a feat, I would take something like warcaster

Ramshack
2015-06-23, 10:45 PM
Also you're not adding you're proficiency bonuses to your attack bonuses on your weapons. You have +3 listed, at level 5 you should have an additional +3 for proficiency. Also how did you get to 20 ac with a 0 dex? 2 shield 1 fighting style, but I don't see any armor on your sheet. 1 Fighter seems like a pretty standard dip and compliments any class, almost everyone at my tables take 1 level fighter for the proficiencies, second wind and a fighting style, most eventually take a 2 second for action surge. So no problems there.

TheOOB
2015-06-24, 03:46 AM
Fighter isn't really doing anything for you, you already gain decent armor proficiencies, and you can gain the remaining ones via feats. A class level is the most valuable resource you have, and all fighter is giving you is +1 AC, heavy armor proficiency, and changing your saves. The +1AC is minor and not worth high level spell slots, the proficiency can be picked up with a single feat(much less valuable than a class level), and if you really need con save you can pick up resilient later.

Now spell selection.

Poison spray isn't very good, Firebolt has better range and nearly the same damage, shocking grasp and your weapon attacks will be better melee. If you need another attacking cantrip grab ray of frost of acid splash, something that does something different.

Feather fall isn't that good for a sorc. You only get about 2 spells per spell level, so you should only learn spells that are powerful, scale well, and you'd want to cast multiple times per day. Featherfall is too situational, Burning hands, magic missle, or any number of spells would be a stronger choice.

Blindness/Deafness is only good because it's a debuff that doesn't need concentration, it's otherwise not very good. Considering you don't have too many good things to use concentration on (shield of faith and magic weapon are rarely worth a spell slot and almost never worth an action, and divine favor is predicated on your actions all being used to attack and not debuff) if you must take a debuffing spell take one that's better and uses concentration. There are plenty of good instant spells too.