PDA

View Full Version : Is this against RAW

BardicDuelist
2007-04-27, 03:35 PM
Is this against RAW if flaws are allowed.

First level human wizard.
Feats: Quicken Spell, Silent Spell, Still Spell, Innate Spell (True Strike)
Flaws: (Murkey-Eyed, Non-Combatant)

It would allow you to get a +20 to hit EVERY ROUND, and IGNORE most miss chances.

You could take fighter/ToB Classes/Rogue/etc. and have true strike as a spell like ability.

Can anyone find something I'm missing?

Ikkitosen
2007-04-27, 03:42 PM
You need a 9th level slot to power the SLA...

You have mastered a spell so thoroughly that you can now use it as a spell-like ability.
Prerequisite: Quicken Spell, Silent Spell, Still Spell.
Benefit: Choose any spell you can cast. You can now cast this spell at will as a spell-like ability once per round. One spell slot eight levels higher than the innate spell is permanently used to power it, and any XP cost for the innate spell is paid each time you use it. As well, you must have any focus required by the spell in order to use it as a spell-like ability, and if the innate spell has a costly material component, you must use an item worth 50 times that cost as a focus.
Since an innate spell is a spell-like ability and not an actual spell, a cleric can't lose it to spontaneously cast a cure or inflict spell. As well, spellcasters who become unable to cast spells of the level of the spell slot used to power the innate spell become unable to use the spell-like ability.
Special: You can choose this feat more than once, selecting another spell and paying the spell slot, focus, and material components costs each time.

Emphasis mine.

iop
2007-04-27, 03:43 PM
For innate spell, you have to give up a spell slot 8 levels above the spell that becomes innate, i.e. a 9th level slot for True Strike. If you're unable to cast spells of that level in the first place, or if you lose the ability to do that (through ability drain), you don't have access to the innate spell anymore.

Nice idea, though.

Miles Invictus
2007-04-27, 03:51 PM
You lose one spell slot of an identical level to your Innate Spell.

Quickened True Strike is a 5th-level spell. You'd need nine levels of Wizard to actually make use of it. Besides, this only lets you use it three times a day.

Oh, wait. There are two versions of Innate Spell, and this second one is the one you're talking about.

You lose one spell slot eight levels higher than the level of your Innate Spell.

So, you'd be burning a 13th-level spell slot (1st-level spell + 4 levels for Quicken + 8 levels for Innate).

Problem: 13th-level spell slots don't exist.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-27, 03:58 PM
So, you'd be burning a 13th-level spell slot (1st-level spell + 4 levels for Quicken + 8 levels for Innate).

Problem: 13th-level spell slots don't exist.

Good point.
Since the spell-level of true sight is 1, you could take quicken-spell like ability.

Jack Mann
2007-04-27, 04:17 PM
Actually, they do, but you have to be epic to get them. Requiring further feat expenditure. Which could instead be used for epic spellcasting.

brian c
2007-04-27, 04:54 PM
Actually, they do, but you have to be epic to get them. Requiring further feat expenditure. Which could instead be used for epic spellcasting.

If you can get Epic Spellcasting, then you have better things to do then +20 on every attack you make.

Jack Mann
2007-04-27, 04:58 PM
Precisely my point.

UglyPanda
2007-04-27, 05:29 PM
Also, you can only use an innate spell once per round and quickened spells use up swift actions. You need to be epic to get more than one quickened spell per round.

Ikkitosen
2007-04-27, 05:31 PM
Also, you can only use an innate spell once per round and quickened spells use up swift actions. You need to be epic to get more than one quickened spell per round.

I can think of only one none-epic way, but then my splatbook knowledge pales in comparison to some :smalleek: