PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Minigame

Ziegander
2015-06-24, 11:39 AM
Okay, so I know there's at least one third-party writer/designer already at work on something like this. I think he may even have gotten it crowdfunded, and I know he has a ton of content already written. I hope I'm not rehashing what he's done, or stepping on any toes with this, and if I am, to that writer/designer: please feel free to ask me to delete this. This is just an idea I had last night that I want to put to page, a small content patch for 5e that I hope everyone enjoys.

The basic premise: prepare dishes of food from recipes to eat during a short rest to regain additional hit points and potentially apply other benefits or buffs to your characters. All of these dishes require the use of Cook's Utensils, though the most basic of the bunch do not require actual proficiency in them. So! Let's get started!

DC 10 Dishes
Baked Chicken
Requires: 8 oz of chicken, cook's utensils
With a successful DC 10 Intelligence (Cook's Utensils) or Wisdom (Cook's Utensils) check and two hours of preparation you serve a baked portion of chicken to one character (you may serve up to two characters without increasing the prep time). Any character that eats the baked chicken during a short rest may regain hit points from one Hit Dice without expending that Hit Dice (though they may expend Hit Dice to regain additional hit points if they wish).
Spoils: 6 hours after preparation. Can be kept for as long as four months if stored in a dry, closed container, packed in salt.

Baked Tuna
Requires: One whole tuna, cook's utensils
With a successful DC 10 Dexterity (Cook's Utensils) or Intelligence (Cook's Utensils) check and one hour of preparation, you de-bone and filet a large tuna fish that can serve up to four characters. Any character that eats the Baked Tuna during a short rest may regain hit points from one Hit Dice without expending that Hit Dice (though they may expend Hit Dice to regain additional hit points if they wish).
Spoils: 4 hours after preparation. Can be kept for as long as three months if stored in a dry, closed container, packed in salt.

Fish Broth
Requires: 1/4lb of any fish, 4 cups water, one tablespoon of salt, two cloves of garlic, two strands of nori (additional seasonings optional), and cook's utensils
With a successful DC 10 Intelligence (Cook's Utensils) or Wisdom (Cook's Utensils) check and four hours of preparation, you boil the water together with the other ingredients, removing the fish after it's been cooked then removing the bones from the cooked fish, and reducing the broth to a simmer before adding the fish bones back in. Discard the fish bones after preparation, and serve to up to four characters (you may serve up to 16 characters adding 30 minutes for each additional group of four beyond the first). Any character that drinks the Fish Broth during a short rest may expend Hit Dice to regain spell slots of a combined total levels equal to the number of expended Hit Dice. No more than five Hit Dice can be expended in this way in any given short rest.
Spoils: 6 hours after preparation. Can be kept for up to 1 week if stored in a closed container.

Steak
Requires: 8 oz of lamb or beef, one teaspoon of salt, and cook's utensils
With a successful DC 10 Intelligence (Cook's Utensils) or Wisdom (Cook's Utensils) check and 15 minutes of preparation, you sear or grill the meat on both sides, seasoning with salt, and serve to one character. A character who eats the steak during a short rest regains 5 additional hit points per Hit Dice expended and rerolls any results of 1 or 2 when rolling Hit Dice during that short rest.
Spoils: 1 hour after preparation.
Additional Notes: Butchering a lamb or cow yourself requires proficiency in Butcher's Tools as well as a successful DC 15 Dexterity check made using those tools.

Gruel
Requires: 1 cup grains, two cups water, and cook's utensils
With a successful DC 10 Intelligence (Cook's Utensils) or Wisdom (Cook's Utensils) check, and 15 minutes or preparation, you bring the water to a boil, adding your grains, then reduce to a simmer. After the grains have cooked and absorbed all the water you may serve to one character (you may prepare for up to six characters without increasing the prep time). A character who eats the gruel during a short rest regains 1 hit point per character level as long as it expended one Hit Dice.

Pancakes
Requires: 1 cup flour, one egg, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 teaspoons cooking oil, and cook's utensils
With a successful DC 10 Dexterity (Cook's Utensils) check and 15 minutes preparation, you mix one teaspoon of oil with the rest of the ingredients in a bowl until smooth, and spread the other teaspoon of oil across the surface of a pan. After heating the pan, you pour the mixed ingredients in and cook two flat cakes, serving up to two characters (preparing for additional characters requires 10 minutes for every two additional characters). A character who eats these pancakes during a short rest regains 1d6 hit points. This increases to 1d8 hit points if your Dexterity (Cook's Utensils) check was 15 or higher, and to 1d10 hit points if your Dexterity (Cook's Utensils) check was 20 or higher.

Vegetable Soup
Requires: One whole onion, two potatoes, four carrots, four celery stalks, 1/2 cup green peas, 6 cups water, 1+1/2 tablespoons of salt, four cloves of garlic (additional seasonings optional), and cook's utensils
With a successful DC 10 Intelligence (Cook's Utensils) or Wisdom (Cook's Utensils) check and 2 hours of preparation, you boil the water and then allow all of the ingredients to simmer. Vegetable Soup can serve up to four characters (you may serve up to 12 characters adding 30 minutes for each additional group of four beyond the first). Any character who eats the vegetable soup during a short rest has advantage on the next 1d3 Constitution saving throws it makes within the next 8 hours.
Spoils: 12 hours after preparation. Can be kept for up to 1 month if stored in a closed container.
Additional Notes: Vegetable Soup can be fortified with 8 oz of chunked chicken or beef which is cooked separately, then added to the soup. Any character who eats such fortified soup during a short rest regains 3 additional hit points per Hit Dice expended during that rest and has advantage on all Constitution saving throws it makes for the next 12 hours.

Scrambled Eggs
Requires: Two eggs, 1/4 cup water, two teaspoons cooking oil (seasonings optional), and cook's utensils
With a successful DC 10 Dexterity (Cook's Utensils) check and 10 minutes of preparation, you mix 1 teaspoon of the oil with the other ingredients in a small bowl until smooth, then spread the other teaspoon of oil across a pan and pour the contents of the bowl into the pan. After scraping the eggs around as the cook, you may serve these scrambled eggs to one character (you may serve up to six characters, adding 5 minutes prep time per character beyond the first). Any character that eats these scrambled eggs during a short rest regains 1 additional hit point per Hit Dice expended that short rest.
Spoils: 6 hours after preparation.
Additional Notes: Scrambled eggs seasoned with at least salt add 1 to the number of additional hit points regained by any character that eats them and expends Hit Dice during a short rest. Substituting milk for the water requirement has the same effect. Adding additional seasonings such as pepper, herbs, or scallions also has the same effect (albeit only once, regardless of how many additional seasonings are added in this way). All of these can stack so that a character that eats scrambled eggs prepared with milk, salt, and pepper (for example) would regain 4 additional hit points per Hit Dice expended during their short rest.

Anyone have any suggestions or criticisms? Anything to add or change? Anyone want to take a stab at some other recipes, maybe some ideas for "Nearly Impossible," DC 30 recipes? :smallbiggrin:

SharkForce
2015-06-24, 11:49 AM
for the stuff that can be kept useful for a period of time after preparation, it should be possible to buy pre-made meals packed such that they will remain preserved.

also, i would add a maximum of 1 meal per given amount of time. you can't eat 5 meals in one short rest :P

Ziegander
2015-06-24, 11:53 AM
for the stuff that can be kept useful for a period of time after preparation, it should be possible to buy pre-made meals packed such that they will remain preserved.

Yep! Not sure if it really needs an actual rule about it though (maybe just a cp/sp/gp cost), as it would be largely up to the DM/campaign.

also, i would add a maximum of 1 meal per given amount of time. you can't eat 5 meals in one short rest :P

Definitely something I'm thinking about, I just don't know how to implement it exactly. Status conditions like "starving," "hungry," "satiated," and "full," and "overfull," could be useful with portion sizes taken into consideration. But we don't want to get overly complicated with it.

CantigThimble
2015-06-24, 12:52 PM
If a cleric of knowledge gained proficiency with cooking utensils for ten minutes would that be long enough to use it to get the bonus to cook something that takes an hour? This comes up at least three times every session for me.

kaoskonfety
2015-06-24, 01:34 PM
Anyone have any suggestions or criticisms? Anything to add or change? Anyone want to take a stab at some other recipes, maybe some ideas for "Nearly Impossible," DC 30 recipes? :smallbiggrin:

Tarrasque Flank, Rare

DC 30 - Requires Adamant cooking tools and dining set, one (1) application of the 'wish' spell to prevent the death of the diner (or specialized 8th level spell for this specific purpose), dragon fire (applied liberally to the flank during cooking and on any plated portion not currently being consumed) one (1)Tarraque, subdued and not yet wished out of existence.

Spoils: (becomes inedible) hideously quickly once dragon fire is no longer liberally applied

Benefits: Culinary Bragging Rights of the highest order, possible epic boon in the event there is a God of Cookery

Suggested sides: Fresh seasonal fruit flavoured ice cream (technical issues of maintaining ice cream near dragon fire are left to the master chef), young root vegetables lightly steamed,

Tarrasque is most tender the first 2 days following its natural waking provided it has fed well at least once. It is not recommended to prepare a Tarraque that has been woken outside of its usual sleep cycle as increased acidity in the blood renders the meat unpalatable.

Aboeth Sashimi (DC 30) - As primordial horrors from beyond time only a small portion of the beasts flesh is suitable for consumption. A

typical adult specimen has enough useful flesh to serve 1.3 kg of non-toxic flesh (taken from below the base of the brain). Idealy this will be extracted within 3 minutes of the beasts demise as toxins from the brain begin to seep in nearly immediately (the DC is primarily locating and extracting this flesh without contamination). This must be served raw to maintain the excellent flavour an texture, if any heat is applied the flesh become unpalatable and tough. If cooked it becomes highly toxic. Serve on its own or with a small amount of steamed rice and sake.

Spoils: within 2 hours of the creatures death if correctly extracted
Failure: Failure to correctly prepare causes the flesh to apply the toxic effects of the Aboeth to the consumer (no save) - can only breath underwater - it also tastes terrible.
Benefits (up to 6 persons per preparation) - +4 on will saves vs. direct mind control for 1 week

Slipperychicken
2015-06-24, 03:41 PM
If a cleric of knowledge gained proficiency with cooking utensils for ten minutes would that be long enough to use it to get the bonus to cook something that takes an hour? This comes up at least three times every session for me.

I think it would be problematic to forget how to cook ten minutes into the process. You'd probably mess it up after the effect ends.

CantigThimble
2015-06-24, 04:22 PM
But it depends on the recipe sometimes. A decent number of dishes involve getting the ingredients ready, putting them all together, then just waiting for a while. If you know what you're doing during the putting everything together phase and leave a note saying when to take it off the fire it seems like it could work well enough. Some DMs might also houserule tool proficencies to last an hour or something, since you can't usually accomplish much with 10 minutes using a tool.

kaoskonfety
2015-06-25, 10:33 AM
But it depends on the recipe sometimes. A decent number of dishes involve getting the ingredients ready, putting them all together, then just waiting for a while. If you know what you're doing during the putting everything together phase and leave a note saying when to take it off the fire it seems like it could work well enough. Some DMs might also houserule tool proficencies to last an hour or something, since you can't usually accomplish much with 10 minutes using a tool.

You could write a book on the subject in small bursts over a few months/years.

You can write the definitive "how-to" on home construction but can't build cupboards without taking a few weeks/months - feels about right for the knowledge domain to me :smallsmile: