Coronal Elemental
Medium Elemental (Fire, extraplanar)
HD 8d8 +24 (60)
Speed Fly 40 ft. Perfect (8 squares)
Init: +1
AC 16; touch 11; flat-footed 15
(+1 dex, +5 natural)
BAB/grp +6/+8
Attack Burning touch +8 (2d8 fire, ignite)
Full-Attack Burning touch +8 (2d8 fire, ignite)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Burning aura, Burning touch, Sunburst
Special Qualities Darkvision 60 ft.
Saves Fort +7 Ref +9 Will +6
Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 14 Cha 14
Skills Concentration +14, Listen +13, Spot +13
Feats Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes
Environment Elemental Plane of Fire
Organization Lone, 2-5 (Flare) 6-20 (Nova)
Challenge Rating 10
Treasure Standard
Alignment Any
Advancement 9-13 (Medium), 14-20 (Large) 21-30 (Huge)

Coronal Elementals are beings of the elemental plane of fire. They radiate a massive aura of heat which burns anything in their path.

Burning Aura: Coronal Elementals have a white-hot presence that affects everything around them. Coronal Elementals create an aura of severe heat (save DC 15+1 per previous save every 10 minutes or 1d4 nonlethal damage) in a 60 ft. radius around them. Wearing heavy clothing or armor also results in a -4 penalty on this save. If you take any of this damage, you become fatigued.
The Aura gets more powerful closer in, and in a 10 ft. radius they create an aura of extreme heat: breathing in the air causes 1d6 lethal damage per minute (no save), as well as forcing a fortitude save every 5 minutes (DC 15+1 per previous save) or take 1d4 nonlethal damage, getting a -4 if wearing heavy clothing or armor. In addition, those wearing metal armor or coming into contact with very hot metal are affected as if by a heat metal spell.
Anything flammable that touches a Coronal Elemental is immediately ignited.
Coronal Elementals can suppress this ability, but it requires constant concentration, and a DC 20 Concentration check each round.

Burning Touch: The touch attack of a Coronal Elemental deals 2d8 fire damage and ignites the target.

Sunburst: Coronal Elementals can create a massive white burst of flame around them. This is not instantaneous like a fireball spell, it burns everything inside it and lights them on fire. The Coronal Elemental may have to make a concentration check as if it was casting a spell, count Sunburst as a 4th level spell for this check. The fireball deals 5d8 damage to everything within 50 ft. of the Elemental, DC 17 reflex save for half damage. For one round, the Burning Aura is extended to 120 ft. radius (Severe heat) and 50 ft. radius (Extreme heat). If a Coronal Elemental uses this ability, they cannot use it again for 2d4 days.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-28, 06:37 PM
Do fire resistance/immunity help against the Burning Aura? I don't have my copy of Sandstorm handy...

Icewalker
2007-05-02, 01:32 AM
I think forms of fire resistance automatically protect you from increased heat levels. The ability itself doesn't deal damage, it just ups the heat within 60 ft. to 90 degrees, which causes damage in itself.

Danu
2007-05-06, 02:41 AM
Um... if it's an 'elemental', why does it have the outsider type?

Icewalker
2007-05-06, 04:29 AM
Ok I definitely did not know there was an elemental type... >.>

Real smooth of me.

Fixed (I think).

deadfalcon
2007-05-06, 07:07 AM
Just two things, Wouldn't it have a vunerability to cold? and also is
Coronal Fireball the same as?
Sunburst

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-11, 02:18 PM
Bump. Keep voting, people!

Demented
2007-05-11, 08:56 PM
You still have it as Outsider. =O

Icewalker
2007-05-13, 08:15 PM
Just two things, Wouldn't it have a vunerability to cold? and also is Coronal Fireball the same as Sunburst?

Yeah, I changed the name because Sunburst sounded cooler, gotta sift the text of it for missed changes.

You still have it as Outsider. =O

Fixed everything but the name >.<

Zherog
2007-05-14, 05:24 PM
Some feedback - note that I haven't read other comments, so I might duplicate what others have said.

BAB/grp +6/+10

I'm not getting +10 for grapple. BAB +6, Str +2. Where's the other +2 coming from?

Full-Attack 2 Burning Touches +8/+3 (2d8 fire, ignite)

Creatures with natural attacks do not get additional attacks for a high BAB like those with class levels do. You can give it 2 burning touches (lowercase, by the way), but it would be +8/+8. If you give it a second type of natural attack, then it would have 2 burning touches +8/+8 and whatever +3.

Special Attacks Burning Aura, Burning Touch, Sunburst

Capitalize the first letter of the first ability, and everything else is lowercase.

Special Qualities Darkvision 60 ft.,

You have an extra comma on the end. Did you intend to add more SQs, or is it there because commas are so gosh darn cute? :smallbiggrin:

Saves Fort +7 Ref +10 Will +6

I compute your saves as 7/9/6.

Base saves for a fire elemental are 2/6/2. Your ability mods are 3/1/2. And you have the three save boosting feats, for +2 to each.

Skills Spot +13, Listen +13, Concentration +14

List skills alphabetically.

Feats Iron Will, Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes

Also list feats alphabetically.

Environment Elemental Plane of Fire

Don't forget to add the [extraplanar] subtype up above.

Organization Lone, 2-5 (Flare) 6-20 (Nova)

Nice names for the groups. :)

Treasure Normal

You should use the word "standard" rather than normal.

Burning Aura: Coronal Elementals have a white-hot presence that affects everything around them. Coronal Elementals create an aura of severe heat (save DC 15+1 per previous save every 10 minutes or 1d4 nonlethal damage) in a 60 ft. radius around them. Wearing heavy clothing or armor also results in a -4 penalty on this save. If you take any of this damage, you become fatigued.

What ability is the save DC based upon? Constitution is the standard one for stuff that comes from the creature's body; if we use that one, the DC should be 17 (10 + 1/2 Hit Die (4) + Con mod (3)).

The Aura gets more powerful closer in, and in a 10 ft. radius they create an aura of extreme heat: breathing in the air causes 1d6 lethal damage per minute (no save), as well as forcing a fortitude save every 5 minutes (DC 15+1 per previous save) or take 1d4 nonlethal damage, getting a -4 if wearing heavy clothing or armor. In addition, those wearing metal armor or coming into contact with very hot metal are affected as if by a heat metal spell.

See above about the DC.

Anything flammable that touches a Coronal Elemental is immediately ignited.
Coronal Elementals can suppress this ability, but it requires constant concentration, and a DC 20 concentration check each round.

Names of skills are capitalized.

What type ability is this? All things are either Extraordinary (Ex), Spell-Like (Sp) or Supernatural (Su). You could make an argument for either Ex or Su for this ability.

This question applies to the other abilities as well, since you seem to be missing the tag on those, too.

Burning Touch: The touch of a Coronal Elemental deals 2d8 fire damage and ignites the target.

Make it clear this is a touch attack (at least, that's the impression I get).

Sunburst: Coronal Elementals can create a massive white burst of flame around them. This is not instantaneous like a fireball spell, it burns everything inside it and lights them on fire. The Coronal Elemental may have to make a concentration check as if it was casting a spell, count Sunburst as a 4th level spell for this check. The fireball deals 10d8 damage to everything within 50 ft. of the Elemental. For one round, the Burning Aura is extended to 120 ft. radius (Severe heat) and 50 ft. radius (Extreme heat). If a Coronal Elemental uses this ability, they cannot use it again for 2d4 days.

So, basically, it's an ability that a GM can use to flip the proverbial finger to his players, since it's only usuable once every 2d4 days? That's not really a limitation, since the "shelf life" on most creatures is around 4 rounds.

Is there a save against the 10d8 damage? If not, you can expect this to kill your party of 10th level characters. Your cleric, monk, and druid all have 10d8 hit dice; your rogue and bard have 10d6. Your poor wizard has 10d4. As worded, this is essentially instant death for most parties.

It's more deadly than a dragon's breath weapon, even. A juvenile red dragon is also a CR 10 critter. Its breath weapon does 8d10 damage, with a Reflex save DC 22. Note, though, that the dragon must aim his breath weapon in a cone effect; your elemental gets to hose over everybody within 50 feet. In my opinion, that's significantly better than a cone.

Overall, this seems cool enough. You'll need to fix the sunburst ability so it's not an instant party killer; once you have that, I think you'll be spot on the CR.

Icewalker
2007-05-14, 06:48 PM
Damn, attack of the grammar and minor technicalness...

Thank you, definitely. This is exactly what Mitp II needs, I will start fixing.

As for sunburst, I guess I'll throw in a save and give it d6 instead of d8 so it isn't a TPK move.

Several of those errors (saves, grp, etc) were because it was outsider type because I missed that there was an elemental and missed some changes.

Bout the Burning aura saves: They aren't based on the creature. The saves vs. damage and such come from the saves vs. being in situations of intense heat, which are listed as 15+1/previous save.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-14, 08:09 PM
Damn, attack of the grammar and minor technicalness...

Thank you, definitely. This is exactly what Mitp II needs, I will start fixing.

Told you, Zherog. :smallwink:

DragonTounge
2007-06-06, 12:12 PM
I'm a bit confused, exactly what is this elemental made of? Is it a being of pure burning light that emits large amounts of heat or is it made of fire, like the fire elemental?Just asking you to clarify for me.

Icewalker
2007-06-06, 03:39 PM
I'd say burning light.

It's basically a miniature floating sun, so it's extremely bright and a very strong fire.