PDA

View Full Version : What are the Dimensions of a Warehouse (Shadowrun Related)

chaosgirl
2015-06-24, 12:58 PM
Hello All,

This *Seems* like this would be the right board to ask on (although I may be wrong)

Recently in a game of Shadowrun, my team and I came across a warehouse. The previous occupants all died of sudden, high velocity lead poisoning, and we're thinking of keeping it for ourselves.

Now the GM has asked us to provide a layout for the place, and I do love laying out deathtraps... I mean houses. The issue is I can't find a resource that will tell me how large the average warehouse is, length and width wise EDIT and height EDIT wise

Would anyone happen to know?

Thanks in advance :D

Cristo Meyers
2015-06-24, 03:37 PM
Hello All,

This *Seems* like this would be the right board to ask on (although I may be wrong)

Recently in a game of Shadowrun, my team and I came across a warehouse. The previous occupants all died of sudden, high velocity lead poisoning, and we're thinking of keeping it for ourselves.

Now the GM has asked us to provide a layout for the place, and I do love laying out deathtraps... I mean houses. The issue is I can't find a resource that will tell me how large the average warehouse is, length and width wise EDIT and height EDIT wise

Would anyone happen to know?

Thanks in advance :D

Probably have more luck here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?394128-General-Shadowrun-Questions). They'll give dimensions and then help lay the traps :smallwink:

A short search (http://www.cisco-eagle.com/industries-served/order-fulfillment/the-typical-warehouse) says that an average warehouse in the US is about 16500 square feet, but there's a lot of variance. You could find one as small as less than 10000 sq. ft to over 100000 depending on location. From my short stint working in one I remember that the ceiling was high enough that anyone trying to come down from the ceiling would need to rappel, a ladder wasn't going to cut it.

factotum
2015-06-25, 01:49 AM
I have to ask: why does this have to be an *average* warehouse? As Cristo Meyers points out, these buildings vary enormously in size--I've been inside ones that you could have dropped a full-size running track into with room to spare. Just make it as big as you need it to be to fit all your fiendish traps in and you're golden!

Erloas
2015-06-26, 09:54 AM
Most warehouses are very open, they might have lines and lines of racks or pallets of goods, but they aren't going to have much for hallways or rooms. Not that you couldn't install them. But short of leaving the shelves full/pallets around, it would be hard to guarantee any visitor is going to follow a set and well known path. It would also be hard to install and hide much for traps without completely renovating the place.

Keep in mind that most warehouses have many large entrances, and they are generally spaced so that a forklift can easily maneuver around the entire place. While you can easily lock the large doors used to load/unlock trucks, they are still going to be your weakest points for breaking in and they are generally going to be along an entire wall, sometimes 2-3 or even all 4 walls.

Assuming a relatively urban area, and not standing out too much, I would put the warehouse on the smaller side, but they still have to be pretty big to be worth making in the first place. 10-20k sq-ft range would be very reasonable, and most are only going to be one level because the cost to reinforce a second floor to hold as much weight as a warehouse floor holds and the simple impracticality of loading a truck from a second story means most are one level. But since they are serviced by forklifts that one story is going to be fairly tall.

Shadowsend
2015-07-14, 01:26 AM
I could see a partial second story office...

Balain
2015-07-18, 02:38 AM
I use to work in a small one that was about 40' by 100' or so and almost Three stories high. the floor was open with racks along two walls froom floor to cieling, and bay doors along one of the shorter walls. The office was attached to the side.

But why limit it as was said. Make it as large as you need

Occasional Sage
2015-07-19, 09:12 PM
Figure the interior will be an easy three stories of open space, and some offices will likely be crudely framed in. Most such buildings are not well climate controlled, either, unless the contents needed to be kept at a stable temperature/humidity; often, the building's infrastructure is quite crude. If it saw industrial use, though, there'd be tons of electric drops.

Also, how do you plan to keep the place for long, once rent/mortgage/taxes stop being paid and somebody comes to investigate or repossess?