PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Making a necromancer for the first time

Shoeboxgoblin
2015-06-24, 05:43 PM
So, My name is shoebox and I am making my first pathfinder character. I want to do something like a necromancer but I have noticed that there are a bunch of different abilities / spell spread across a few classes. can anyone help me with an optimal build starting at lvl 1?

noob
2015-06-24, 06:03 PM
Optimal for which purpose?
Blasting or armies(two of the coolest use for necromancers)?
For armies the real thing is to get the highest amount of items casting command undead as they allow you to go over the limit of 2dv per level(except if that changed) and to control casters if possible as it is easy to get I guess the real thing is optimizing for blasting and fighting.
A wizard will have better access to undead controlling spells while a priest have the awesome rebuke but the rebuke gets less useful if you are not full priest.
When you are high level enough with your wizard you will have simulacrum they are perfect for helping you to control your undead army so wizard is extremely cool if you want to reach super high levels.

Shoeboxgoblin
2015-06-24, 06:59 PM
I was looking to create a horde of undead. I am not sure how far we will be taking the game but I intend on going as far as permitted. I don't have a lot of experience with castors in roleplaying so I was kinda baffled.

noob
2015-06-24, 07:47 PM
You can use lvl2 pearls of power (4000 po) or maybe the gm will allow you to create an item casting command item specifically 2200 approximately
the first option leave more liberty with the spells you cast and also they will have a good dd while the second option is cheap per undead controlled until you reach level 6 where pearls will be purely better because they will cast longer duration spells.
With enough casts of hypnotism you can convert to your cause one creature with less than eight hd which can help if you want early assistance.
Always have some undead destroying spell in case everything go wrong(it always can because gm like to annoy players creating armies)

Brova
2015-06-24, 07:57 PM
I recommend starting with K's Revised Necromancer's Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5584). I'm not 100% sure how well it carries over to pathfinder, but it seems like a good place to start.

Amphetryon
2015-06-25, 08:20 AM
In Pathfinder, you can do a Necromancer with a Wizard, a Sorcerer, a Cleric, an Oracle, an Alchemist, or a Druid (sort of). There's also at least one 3PP version of the 3.5 Dread Necromancer floating about on the interwebz. This list doesn't include PrCs. Does one particular Class appeal to you more than others?

Shoeboxgoblin
2015-06-25, 11:14 AM
There isn't really a specific class that appeals to me persay. Though, I wouldn't mind being slightly useful at lvl 1.

noob
2015-06-25, 12:23 PM
If your team does already have a priest(good at healing blasting and buffing) you can have a wizard(hypnotism and sleep pwns)(else if there is no priest being one is super important)
Sorcerer have more spells but they have barely any choice and a wizard is nearly purely better once you start having pearls.
Oracle is a priest with some different class features but sadly they have few known spells like the sorcerer.
Alchemist seems as a fun class I never played it nor thought a lot about it.

atemu1234
2015-06-25, 02:04 PM
You'd probably like a Cleric.