PDA

View Full Version : Acrobatic Fighter

Alistaroc
2015-06-24, 07:09 PM
I'm looking for some help on a flavor build. Optimization comes secondary, but it'd be nice to have a somewhat viable character. Homebrew is valid, but only if it's reasonable. I'd really hate to multiclass, although prestige classes are fine.

So, the build.

I'm looking to create a bit of an acrobatic light fighter, someone who fights with a dagger or shortsword, but is also adept at tumbling and using kicks and trips. So far, all I can think of is some sort of monk... but I really have no clue on this one.

Any and all help is appreciated. :smallsmile:

Glorius Nippon
2015-06-24, 07:13 PM
Look into Path of War, it has an interesting subsystem based around martial characters doing bad ass things because they are martial. One of the disciplines (think magic schools) is based around unarmed fighting, forget which one it is tho.

Red Fel
2015-06-24, 07:19 PM
Simple option is the Battle Dancer from Dragon Compendium. Like a Monk, she has an unarmed strike progression and an AC bonus (but Cha, not Wis-based). However, she is also proficient with simple weapons, so you can use a knife or something. She also gets a series of increasing bonuses to movement speed (up to +30).

More relevant are her class abilities. She gets a series of "Dance" abilities, which use Tumble checks to allow her a number of maneuvering-based tricks.

But, yes, the Path of War/ Tome of Battle classes will get you more versatility for your dollar.

Karl Aegis
2015-06-24, 07:26 PM
Scout 14 / Psychic Warrior 2 / Thief Acrobat 4 is a perfectly valid build for this kind of thing.

Ruethgar
2015-06-24, 07:38 PM
Also don't forget Complete Scoundrel for Skill Tricks. I always like grabbing the Climb and Jump ones.

Telonius
2015-06-24, 07:46 PM
Thirding (fourthing? fifthing?) Tome of Battle. Swordsage (focused in Shadow Hand and Setting Sun) will do almost exactly what you want.

If Tome of Battle or Dragon Compendium isn't available, a Rogue/Swashbuckler mutliclass (with the Daring Outlaw feat) could get you most of what you want, at a lower power level than the other suggestions. I know you said you don't like multiclassing, but thematically it's very reasonable, and the feat is designed to make the two go together as seamlessly as possible. The only thing it doesn't really do is unarmed, though with a high enough level you could pick up Improved Unarmed Strike.

Rebel7284
2015-06-24, 08:42 PM
Bard with snowflake wardance can do some of this too. You can then go into a Tome of Battle class with Song of the White Raven feat to get full music progression and then spend it all on hitting people.

DMVerdandi
2015-06-24, 09:09 PM
Which game are you playing & What books are you allowed.
You said path of war, so can I assume Pathfinder?

In that case I say use either a Stalker, or warlord(steel fist commando archetype)
Focus on using broken blade and steel serpent maneuvers in particular. Weaving in between is probably a good idea.
Stalker is going to be weaker physically, but have more tricks with the ki pool usage.

Warlord is going to end up more charismatic and inspiring, and with it's gambles, be able to turn tables like a champ. It also has a bigger hit die and BAB, which is very good for a warrior. Taking the steel-fist commando does make it more stalker like however so you probably won't have to worry if you take the warlord.

As far as feats, Pick up Weapon finesse, and Deadly Agility, martial charge,
Weapon group adaptation(maybe), And definitely hoard up on advanced study.
As for weapon, Gladius is probably the best of them all for what you are looking for.

I would probably steer you in the direction of the warlord, honestly.
With it, you can and will be a monster.

Pluto!
2015-06-24, 09:19 PM
I played Rogue 1/Barbarian 2/Rogue 2/Thief Acrobat in a low-op level 2-8 game, basically trying to be Batman. It wasn't the strongest build, but it was sweet. If the campaign ran long, I'd probably tweak the Assassin class into something less evil and slightly more martial for the last 10 levels.

In a higher optimization environment, I'd probably just go Swordsage, and if optimization was really a concern, I'd use Sacred Fist.

Amphetryon
2015-06-24, 09:28 PM
Magic of Incarnum/Akashic Mysteries is another option for tools to potentially make a very acrobatic melee combatant.

Alistaroc
2015-06-24, 09:42 PM
Hmm... I will check out all of these suggestions.

Hehe, I guess I forgot to mention the edition and allowed materials. :p Sorry. We're playing 3.5, but anything really is allowed. Any books, dragon magazines, or well written homebrews are allowed. :)

gorfnab
2015-06-24, 10:35 PM
Here is a swashbuckler/duelist type build that I have used previously. This build can easily be used as an acrobatic fighter because of the skill options of its classes.

Human or Strongheart Halfling
1. Swashbuckler - Deadly Defense (CS), Combat Expertise, B: Weapon Finesse
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Decisive Strike (PHBII) Monk - B: Dodge
3. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - Carmendine Monk (CoV), B: Mobility
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander (PHBII)
10. Thief Acrobat or Warblade
11. Warblade or Duelist
12. Warblade or Duelist - Ironheart Aura (ToB)
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit (PHBII)
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Stormgaurd Warrior (ToB)
19. Duelist
20. Duelist

The Monk and Swashbuckler levels (levels 1 through 5) can be switched around to taste. I personally like Swash 1/ Monk 2/ Swash 2.

Levels 10 through 12 can be rearranged depending on your needs. The current setup gives you Improved Evasion and Uncanny Dodge at these levels. However if you don't need Improved Evasion take one less level of Thief Acrobat and move the first level of Warblade to level 10. If you don't need Uncanny Dodge don't take the 2nd level of Warblade and instead go into Duelist a level early. If you don't need either abilities take Warblade at level 10 and enter Duelist at level 11. You need at least 1 level of Warblade for the Ironheart Aura and Stormgaurd Warrior feats.

If flaws are available pick up EWP: Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv, pre-errata version if possible) or Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHBII) and Snap Kick (ToB) (may need to rearrange later feats). If traits are available pick up Cautious (UA).

Items:
Vest of Defense (MIC)
Bracers of Blocking (Dragon 322)
Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv) (pre-errata version if possible) or Rapier with the Defensive Surge (MIC) enhancement.

Mr Adventurer
2015-06-25, 03:18 AM
Warblade if you want to have full BAB. Swordsage if you don't mind having medium BAB. Diamond Mind strikes are great for getting a lot out of a light weapon. Setting Sun is great for the combat manoeuvres.