PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Sandblasted

Destrude
2015-06-24, 08:20 PM
8:00AM, 5th of Veil, 503rd year of the Dragon

Last Stop tavern, Tarkerran city limits

The cool sea-breeze from the coast does little to mitigate the merciless sun's heat. It is late in the autumn, and the wet season is long over. Here in the Blast, winter is just as dry and nearly as hot as the summer. Supplies have been laid in, and the traders are already turning their minds to their last crossing of the year. With the winter, many other nation's ports will be inaccessible or at least difficult to navigate, and without incoming trade there is less reason to make the trip to Sibarra. The camels and wagons are laden with goods, much of them foods and spices and exotic ales that will be in high demand for the wealthy merchants and nobles of both cities.

The Last Stop is full to bursting with traffic, many pushing for shade and relief from the scorching sun in the form of cold elven mead. Others make ready to leave, wanting to make the salt quarries before the day is lost. Amid this bustle, you find yourselves making final preparations for your journey.

The explorers who have hired you are here as well, lashing down the last of their strange gear. Two human men, their skin a deep brown and garbed in loose khaki-colored robes, are the leaders of the group. With them is a small and dark-skinned woman who looks to have at least some measure of gnomish blood in light of her pointed ears and large eyes. She is clad in light leather armor and carries a stout ebony staff. Lastly, a grey and black scaled lizardman rounds out their party, wearing only trousers and a leather harness to hold his personal gear. It is he who seems most familiar with the strange equipment that is the focus of this expedition.

It seems their preparations are nearly complete, you have time for one last drink or purchase from the adjoining trade booth before it will be time to leave.

RolandDeschain
2015-06-24, 09:07 PM
Kirra looks on as the last supplies and equipment are strapped on to the pack animals, and turns back to the assembled group with a brisk nod.

As usual, her ebony hair is tied up tight in a top not, and she's wearing a lose fitting long-sleeved white linen tunic and light tan cotton breeches. Her breastplate, greaves, and pauldrons have been 'charcoaled'(gleaming armor is strictly for the vain) and strapped to her camel along with her shield. Her trusted longsword, "Malediction" is sheathed across her back.

She turns and orders one last cool glass of elven mead, trying to wash the sandy grit from her mouth.

Turning to the ranger, "Kerry, I'm glad you've agreed to accompany us on this expedition. Every time I've traveled with you in the past, we returned home safely and a little heavier in the purse!"

Looking at the rest of the group, she claps Brennen on the shoulder, careful not to aggravate her other shoulder, "I know you're up for this Brennen, and I'm glad you stopped by the shop the other day so I knew you were in town!"

Taking in the drow with another nod, "Di'Mytri...you'll have to introduce me to your friend when we get the chance. I've seen him around town a couple of different times, but have never had the chance to get to acquainted."

She hands a small tin to each of the assembled party, "Compliments of Madame Nefarus' stores; ashamed there is so little left."

Keepcool Salve
This small clay pot contains several ounces of a pearly ointment. Applying the ointment to your skin increases your level of protection against heat by one step The salve also grants a +1 circumstance bonus on Fortitude saves to resist damage from hot environments.

DoctorGlock
2015-06-24, 09:41 PM
Di'Mytri downed a last quaff of the local ale. It was surprisingly good, as was any ale that was not poisoned. Such a magnificent place this. He returned to telling his story to the assembled crowd.

'But is many horrible monster that live on surface too, walk unseen with people at inn. Istvan say to me 'watch out, that one is maneater.' And she was make looking at me very hungry. I think this is horrible, even in underdark drow lady not eat you when done. Maybe have spiders do, but not herself. So I runs into street where friend waiting and say 'must be helping, is horrible monster who of devour my flesh!' And since good friend of mine he go to fight flesh eater all alone. Not see him until morning. Was terrible fight indeed, friend be much tired and covered in many scratches, but was both safe...'

He didn't understand why they laughed, but it was a good laugh. Not a cruel laugh like the ones back home. Still, there would be plenty of time for stories with new friends on the trail. He upturned his empty tankard on the table and grabbed his cap, upending the coins the crowd has tossed in into his hand as he left the bar, humming softly. He cut a very out of place figure in Tarkerran. A drow was rare enough, even rarer to be on good terms. He yet again gave thanks for that signed writ. He doubted many would give him the benefit of the doubt without it.

His style didn't match the stereotypes of his kind either. Gone were the blacks and reds and spider motifs of the underdark. Gone and good riddance. He hated spiders after all. Instead the black-skinned, white haired figure proudly strutted about in a riotous motley of colors, and while there were some black patches on his vestments, and his cloak was indeed a deep crimson, he did not look the menacing figure of a murderous cursed elf.

No sooner had he left the bar when a woman in dark armor was calling his name. He quickly remembered the 'passenger manifest,' yes, that was the word, for the long trip ahead. 'Ah, friend Kirra! Will be making of many introductions when coming. Is different friend than one in story though, but still brave and many good warrior! Have many tales to share for long road!' Di'Mytri said in his broken common 'Of thanks for making gift. Be of many uses in great sands ahead.'

Nerjin
2015-06-24, 11:49 PM
Looking at the rest of the group, she claps Brennen on the shoulder, careful not to aggravate her other shoulder, "I know you're up for this Brennen, and I'm glad you stopped by the shop the other day so I knew you were in town!"

"Well without you I'd be in rather dire straights. It's the least I could do. Plus simply speaking with you again was more than enough reason to drop by." Brennen smiled, or attempted to rather, as she fiddled with her cravat. It was obviously already perfect but the fancy clothing did little to alleviate the burning sun.

"Though I must say I'm rather appalled at the lack of Wands of Endure Elements or even a few scrolls. Bah..."The fancy warlock shook her head before wagging her left finger at her new companion "Be sure to stock up on some next time if you can." Brennen detested the heat of this place already though the sun did allow the broach she wore to sparkle radiantly.

The give and take of life was cruel like that.

RolandDeschain
2015-06-25, 12:21 AM
Kirra can't help but chuckle at Di'Mytri's broken common, something about the drow always brought an unbidden smile to her face.

"Couldn't help but overhear you telling the 'maneater story' again Di'Mytri, please tell me you've got some new material for the road?" [wicked smile and a wink]

Watching Brennen, "Stop fiddling with that thing would ya? You look fantastic," staring out at the wide open vistas of The Blast, "although I don't know why. We'll be covered in sand, grit, and dirt before we've gone a half a mile."

Listening to Brennen's comments about wands and scrolls, Kirra sighs heavily, "I just don't know if I can make it work Bren....the shop that is. I'm going to have to hire a crafter or give up these little 'excursions' and learn how to do it myself. I just can't bring myself to sell the place; it's been more of a home for me than where I spent my childhood."

Visibly shaking herself out of her concerns, "Of course, one of these days we may venture out there and discover untold riches." A wan smile ghosts across her face, recalling her father Kellen and the similar words he spoke to her many times.

"Let's go see if they're set to depart shall we?" She strides over to the two men wearing light tan robes, "Gentlemen, what's the plan here?"

Nerjin
2015-06-25, 12:42 AM
"Of course I look fabulous. Why wouldn't I?" the customary scowl returned to the woman's face "Terribly sorry to hear about your store but you might find crusading for a cause is more profitable in the long run."

heros271
2015-06-25, 03:31 AM
"A few suicuders gather together
With a bit of unluck they stay here forever" - Sang Sakir, entering the tavern. He was here earlier, but had to do some... preparations. Sadly, horses had to eat something.
Sorry that I'm late, it's way harder to find good food for horse than it should be. - he then added, smiling. After few moments smile widened.
Di'Mytri, glad you are here! But did not expected to see you, Kirra! - saying this, he happily pointed his sword at her.

With broad swing. Greatsword.

In tavern. Noone got hurt.

Probably because people tend to stay back from someone who use bones as main motif of his armor, and does not replace them with mithral fakes. Or because some people are just lucky.

DoctorGlock
2015-06-25, 08:36 AM
'Da, miss Kirra, have of many stories not told yes and of clever mouth singing. And new fingerings of lute,' Di'Mytri said innocently. What does that eye twitch mean? Probably not that she will skin me alive... surfacer words without words were so confusing...

Still smiling he turned to Brennen. 'Have not made meeting of you yet, but you know miss Kirra, of how--'

And then an imposing figure in black armor decorated with skulls and bones stormed into the tavern, brandishing a broadsword. Ah familiar ground! And more importantly, a familiar face.

'Ah, is more of merry band! Is friend Sakir, remind me of home but without murder everyone. Knows to look good and dress all snappy but no spiders. Miss Kirra, you want I of make introduction, now is here. Kirra, Sarkir. Sarkir, Kirra. Is ok, he not of kill anyone, just drink all your mead.' Probably.

[roll0] diplomacy to calm the bar so that this doesn't turn into a disaster

heros271
2015-06-25, 10:29 AM
Remove part about corpses.

Merry company is merry in wagon.

I spent whole 235 + horse food so I can slap them in wagon and ride anywhere without making trouble :P
The truth on friendship is simple and fine
That more than just one can be friend of mine. - he intoned, and then added for clarity:
As I just said, Di'Ma, I already know miss Kirra, as well as our employers. Other two, however, remain unknown to me, I hope not for long.

Already realizing how bad idea it was, he quickly hid his sword back in sheath.

RolandDeschain
2015-06-25, 10:49 AM
"Thank you Di'Mytri. How could I forget Sakir? Pardon me for the confusion. I asked Di'Mytri to introduce us when you arrived. He had mentioned inviting someone. I should have figured out from the description he was talking about you! "

She steps back and motions to the paladin's armor, "You seem to have added to your collection. I'm sorry I wasn't there to lend a hand."

As she looks at the assembled group, "I've had the pleasure of traveling with some of you, and doing business with some of you, but I do believe this is the first time as one group...unless I'm misremembering."

"Come, let's see what these guys are about. I know the rough purpose of this little expedition, but sadly little else."

Princess
2015-06-25, 05:35 PM
The tall, well muscled ranger listens intently to the conversation but keeps her eyes moving around the crowded room, choosing to remain silent, at least for now.

She simply nods to her comrade's acknowledgement.

RolandDeschain
2015-06-26, 08:31 AM
Kirra takes a couple of steps towards the leaders of the expedition and stops and turns back around, "You know, Bren's suggestion is a good one. We should check," she motions to the Last Stop's adjoining trade booths, "but I'm quite certain those fellas will have something that will help us endure the elements of The Blast a little better."

I believe Rangers and Paladins have Endure Elements on their spell lists, we should try to pick up a wand for the party before we leave. Sadly Kirra is down to $100, but she'll gladly pitch that into "the pot" for said purchase and try to negotiate a good price. [roll0]

Nerjin
2015-06-26, 08:37 AM
"Of course it's a good suggestion. I thought of it."

I have $1,993 with which to purchase a wand or two.

heros271
2015-06-26, 10:11 AM
Just don't look into wagon,
placed on the road,
Cause beings that sleep in there
have less in heads than toad. - Sakir warned.

To endure the elements
Is magic of mine
We should supply ourselves
rather than drink wine - he added then.

Maybe they sell some wands here. But my purse is light.

Destrude
2015-06-26, 08:44 PM
Luckily, the quick-talking drow is able to reassure the tavern patrons and prevent any upset.

Meanwhile, the explorers have finished taking stock, and turn to face the assembled party. The lizardman speaks first, turning to gesture towards his compatriots.

"Thank you once again for signing on with us, especially considering the vague nature of our posting. I will introduce us formally, and then shed some more light on our secrecy."

"These fine humans are Jarek and Markus Gorm, the architects of our theory and leaders of our merry band." He indicates the two men at the head of the first wagon, who nod but do not speak. "They are quiet, to be sure, but they are familiar with field work and you can rely on them."

"And over here is our travel-sized adept, Kari Goodfellow." She glares at the lizard for a moment as she steps forward, but presents a smiling face and outstretched hand to the group.

"Healing, wheeling, and dealing, all on demand. Just say the word and I'll fix you right up with whatever you need. I'll also be handling the collection of our specimens once we find them."

The dusky reptilian steps forward, his arms spread wide in a sort of half-bow. "And I am Hissarthekliss, resident alchemist and craftsman. To save your tongues from inevitable cramping, I recommend you call me Hiss." He smiles slightly at this, although considering his facial structure that may be as much a smile as he can make. "I will be handling the actual experiments and maintaining the equipment during our journey. I also made this lovely thing on the trip down here."

Reaching back into the second wagon, he unfurls a large black cloth and tosses it up into the air. It snaps into a domed shape and hangs above the wagon, taking the form of a large umbrella.

Jarek (or possibly Markus) calls out from the front. "Climb aboard, and we'll be on our way!"

RolandDeschain
2015-06-27, 11:26 AM
Probably belongs in the OoC thread, but a quick reminder that the party was going to try to purchase one from the local merchants before departing.

Kirra steps forward with an ever so slight bow to the two humans, "Jarek. Markus. Pleased to make your acquaintance. When we get an opportunity I would love to discuss your theory. I consider myself a...'fair' alchemist."

Turning to the smaller woman, "Kari. Well met. We will undoubtedly need your services if my previous experiences in The Blast are any indicator."

Now to Hissarthekliss, "Thank you for the introduction Hiss. Just say the word if you need any assistance with the equipment, and your...'sunshade' is an unexpected and welcome contribution for sure!"

She stands aside motioning to the assembled crew, "Let me introduce the rest of our travelling companions. This is Kerry -skilled with both sword and bow as well as some rather extraordinary abilities to...adapt her form as needed. To her right is the lovely Brennen, a tenacious combatant with her unfailing eldritch abilities. Which brings us to these two gentleman. The dark elf is Di'Mytri, skilled with sword and song, sure to inspire us to victory against any that would stand in our way. And finally, Sakir, with a somewhat similar skill set, as well as the accompaniment of his 'travelling band' sure to strike terror in the hearts of our foes and even the odds if we ever find ourselves overmatched."

To the party, "I beg pardon for being presumptuous and all too brief." Flipping her too-light purse into the air and catching it with the audible clink of a meager handful of coin, "But I find myself in need, and anxious to get underway."

She unstraps her armor from the adjacent pack animal, and climbs aboard the shaded caravan.

DoctorGlock
2015-06-28, 07:32 AM
'Is not to worry if brief,' Di'Mytri grinned as he chucked his bags aboard a wagon. 'We have many time get to know one and all on road. To tell many stories. I thank you, Adept Goodfellow for the makeable darkness from sun, my eyes not need many burnings this trip.'

heros271
2015-06-28, 08:08 AM
"I hope you won't take it bad, but I'd like to travel on my own wagon. I've already obtained all required supplies." - Said Sakir, and went toward mentioned vehicle. All undead creatures were still inside, so he just prepared it to follow rest of caravan.

Managing animal like with wagon is simple take 10 on handle animal ^^

Destrude
2015-07-01, 12:44 AM
6:00PM, 5th of Veil, 503rd year of the Dragon

First leg of the Blasted Road, en route to the salt quarries

The party loads up and begins their journey, three wagons in succession. Jarek and Markus lead the first two wagons, with Sakir's following behind. Time passes swiftly as the riders swap tales and get to know one another. Kari proves to be the most talkative of the alchemist's band, regaling her audience with wild tales of her journeys to the Atelian Isles and an expedition to the frozen wastes of Karkov some years ago.

Hissarthekliss speaks up now and again to correct her, smiling at the gnomes tendency to embellish the details. It's clear that the two have worked together for many years.

Jarek and Markus continue to be taciturn, not to the point of rudeness but certainly the least talkative of the bunch. What little they do speak of points to a military background in the Kalish Empire, which rules the sister port of Sibarra as a colony.

Nearing sundown of the first day, the caravan has made good time. The salt quarries are nearly within view, and their acrid scent fills the air. The mining community doubles as a waystation on this trade route, and has food and water stocks for sale. Your patrons refill everyone's supplies as per their agreement, and begin the process of bedding down for the night.

Right after sunset, there is a commotion at the edge of the community. A lone dwarf has come wandering in from the wastes, screaming hoarsely about something terrible in the Blast coming to destroy us all. He is quickly given water and his sunburns treated, as a crowd gathers around him.

"It's coming, we should run, it's coming for us all, the end is coming!" He continues to panic in between frantic gulps of water. The crowd is quickly becoming unsettled by the terror in his voice.

RolandDeschain
2015-07-01, 06:04 PM
Kirra lifts her breastplate easily over her head, tightening the straps quickly. As she pulls her pauldrons over her shoulders she approaches the dwarf. "Ge a hold of yourself, and slow down," drawing Malediction from it's sheath she points it out into the foreboding darkness beyond the fire light, "What's out there? What's coming for us?"

Princess
2015-07-01, 09:33 PM
Kerry wordlessly rises, readying her own armor and weapons in response to the commotion. She eyes the wounded dwarf with suspicion.

Nerjin
2015-07-01, 11:06 PM
"It. It is apparently coming. How useful for everyone. He's a fool who's seen too many mirages. We should pay no more mind to him than one would any other madman."

heros271
2015-07-02, 08:32 AM
"What he say is interesting. Bob?"
Cloaked figure stepped out of Sakir's wagon. It wielded heavy pick.
"Would you please check out what's ahead? Everyone, this is Bob. Five years ago all he wanted was to die, let's see if his request come real."
Bob started to walk in shown direction.
"And stop if you are within 100 feet from us!"
For reminder, this is Bob.
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=254867

DoctorGlock
2015-07-02, 10:26 AM
'What is 'it?' Have seen many horrible its over years. Its with squids for faces that eat brains. Its that bleed spiders and vomit spiders which you step on and make more spiders. All very venom. Is good though.' Di'Mytri gestures at his travelling companions. 'Many big hero though, fight many horrible its and cut faces off. What did see?'

Diplomacy to make him calm down and be coherent with his drow babble. [roll0]

Destrude
2015-07-07, 04:17 AM
Several other travelers make ready for an attack alongside Kirra and Kerry, fanning out and lighting up the night with cantrips and torches. At the moment, only sand and shrubs are illuminated by them.

The drow's words, although not exactly soothing, do distract the gathered crowd and get them to focus on something other than the slowly calming dwarf.

Gathering his senses, the poor wanderer begins to explain himself to the gathered onlookers. "I'm sorry to frighten anyone, but you must take heed of my warning. I was part of a trade convoy crossing the desert, and we were attacked by something most foul." He shakes his head as he relates this, as if shaking off the memory. "At first we thought it a simple bandit attack, and made ready to defend ourselves. But the things that came out of that storm were no simple ruffians at all. They were twisted in some strange way, their skin like glass and their eyes full of fire. Our arrows and blades found no purchase, and they rent my friends with their bare hands."

He stands up and addresses the crowd directly. "We must warn the city! The Blast has turned towards us, and brings an army of horrors with it!"

At this, your employers draw together and begin speaking quickly and quietly, their demeanor tense and agitated. After a moment, Hissarthekliss steps away and motions you all together. "We must check our equipment, there may be answers we can glean even from here. Find out what you can, and meet us again in an hour. We may have to accelerate our plans."

Everyone please roll Sense Motive.

Anyone with Knowledge:Arcana, Religion, or History may roll any/all of those as well.

If you wish to question the dwarf further, feel free to do so.

RolandDeschain
2015-07-09, 08:59 AM
"Where were you attacked master dwarf, and how long ago?"

Kirra whips her longsword in an elaborate pattern and next to her appears a large caracal(desert lynx) composed entirely of shadow.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/288be6p.jpg

Destrude
2015-07-10, 11:00 PM
The dwarf steadies himself for a moment, thinking. "About four or five days I walked to get here, so perhaps two by wagon. It was by a small ridge of stone, north of the main route if I recall correctly." He blinks for a moment, clearly confused.

"It's most strange, I know the storm now to be the Blast, but yet I could not see it until it was almost upon us. It must be disguised, or maybe a mirage distorted our vision, but no ordinary storm could look such as that." He shudders in revulsion. "Like a whirling cloud of overlapping twisters, red with blood and fire. It glowed like the very mouth of hell, and it will no doubt haunt my dreams forever."

He looks back up at Kirra, his voice tense and urgent. "We must flee from it, there can be no standing against such things!"

Nerjin
2015-07-11, 12:51 PM
"If our employer's reactions are anything to judge by this was as expected. I'm not worried if this is the case. Now, explain how you managed to get away."

RolandDeschain
2015-07-11, 09:34 PM
With a wave of her hand, Kirra dismisses her desert lynx dark companion and looks down at the dwarf, "Flee? Were you followed master dwarf? You act as if these monsters were hot on your tail. Did they come from the storm itself, and if so did they not return to the storm?"

Turning to Brennen, "Always astute, they did behave as this was to be expected."

To the gathered party, "Do we venture out there...with 'Bob', or stay here?"

Nerjin
2015-07-17, 12:25 PM
"We're being paid to protect our employers. We will do exactly that. We go where they go. We stay here for now."

RolandDeschain
2015-07-18, 06:41 PM
The tall, muscular woman turns to the group, and nods curtly at Bren's words, "Right!"

Motioning to Kerry, "Ker' why don't you go out just to the edge of the light, and be ready with that bow. Sakir you go with her and send out Bob as far as you dare. See if he scares anything up."

"Dima and Bren you stay here with these folks, see if you can get anything else out of this dwarf, and be ready if 'Bob' stumbles across anything."

"I'm gonna talk to Mr. Hissarthekliss and see if I can get anything more out of him about what they were or were not expecting out here."

Kirra strides over to the wagon where her travelling companions and employers have gathered in hushed conversation. "So what's this about accelerating your plans? Where are you going? Why should we meet you in an hour? Where should we meet you? Did you want us to go out into the desert night searching for monsters? What exactly is going on here?"

Princess
2015-07-18, 08:40 PM
Nodding at the suggestion, Kerry takes up her bow and makes her way to the edge of the camp, scanning the area for any signs of activity that didn't belong there.

Nerjin
2015-07-19, 12:32 AM
"B-Bren?" Brennen seemed shocked at the sheer audacity that someone would address her so casually. Unfortunately the plan was too perfect for her to ruin it over something so trifling. With a slight snarl she turned back towards the dwarf.

“Mister… Dwarf, you stated in your testimony that these creatures appeared out of the storm. I believe you are telling the truth but more information is required. You stated that you thought it was a bandit attack at first? Why is that?" A sudden shock of pain in her arm caused her to pause for a few moments desperately trying to get it back under control. Once she did she continued.

"Furthermore, were they armed or no? What range capability did they have? Did the ride mounts or attack on foot? Are they immune to magic? How many were there roughly? Did any in your party possess any magical weapons? I understand this is difficult to discuss but this information could save lives and perhaps allow us to find what is causing this to occur.”

DoctorGlock
2015-07-22, 12:47 PM
Dimytri grinned at the quick exchange, but did not get involved. No, it was not smart to be underfoot when the matrons were going at at. The innocence of the expression gave way to one more savage as he knocked an arrow to his bow and began to hum, recalling the words to old battle odes of the underdark. Come what may, they'd be ready.

'Perhaps we should start simpler, mr dwarf? What were they?'

note, my knowledge checks from before on whatever the dwarf described are still waiting for answers