PDA

View Full Version : Epic Necromancer Cheese

Eragon123
2015-06-24, 08:26 PM
Alright, my friend is running an epic campaign and said we get to roll up 20 level characters and have them get two weeks prep-time.

I decided to make a wizard necromancer and here is the most amount of undead I could amass.

844 Skeleton Archers 47 Wights 564 Wight-Controlled Zombies

This used 40650 GP worth of components.

How it works:
Assuming infinite money and corpses.

It takes 8 hours to cast 8 glyphs of warding. 7 of these are going to have animate dead in them of levels 3-7. Your 8th and 9th slot go into a glyph of create undead for 2 wights.

In two weeks there are 21 16-hour sessions.

On the day of you use all your slots for animate dead 3-7 and create undead wights 8-9.

Each of these wights can control 12 zombies, note they will not get your Undead Thrall bonus.
(also I'm ignoring the 24-hour zombie rezzing time just for math reasons)

I found this to be very funny and thought you good folks here would appreciate it.

P.S. Because of the lack of bonus and time necessary for the wights I went ahead and did a quick and dirty animate dead only.

1106 skeleton archers. Using 33600 GP of Diamond Dust.

Flashy
2015-06-24, 09:02 PM
There are two problems with this cheese.

1) The Spell Glyph option requires that the stored spell target a single creature or an area. Since Animate Dead does not target an area each glyph would only ever get you a single minion, two if you're being lenient about the interpretation of the Undead Thralls feature.

2) The trigger line specifically lists the target of the spell as whatever creature triggers the glyph, so when you activate the glyphs the stored spells all fail since you are not a corpse. Under the interpretation that animate dead is a spell that summons hostile creatures (not unreasonable) the spell goes on to say that they instantly attack the person who triggered the glyph. They would definitely not be under your control.

Even if it worked as intended you would lose control of the vast majority of the creatures after 24 hours, since that's the duration of animate dead. You have to recast it daily to maintain control.

Eragon123
2015-06-24, 09:09 PM
There are two problems with this cheese.

1) The Spell Glyph option requires that the stored spell target a single creature or an area. Since Animate Dead does not target an area each glyph would only ever get you a single minion, two if you're being lenient about the interpretation of the Undead Thralls feature.

2) The trigger line specifically lists the target of the spell as whatever creature triggers the glyph, so when you activate the glyphs the stored spells all fail since you are not a corpse. Under the interpretation that animate dead is a spell that summons hostile creatures (not unreasonable) the spell goes on to say that they instantly attack the person who triggered the glyph. They would definitely not be under your control.

Even if it worked as intended you would lose control of the vast majority of the creatures after 24 hours, since that's the duration of animate dead. You have to recast it daily to maintain control.

Oh I know there'd be hell to pay the next day... But one shot.

Also I was thinking of stacking the corpses in the glyphs and have them activate when I say arise or something like that.

Lolzyking
2015-06-25, 12:20 PM
I'm going to recommend using demiplane to store your undead army.

TurboGhast
2015-06-25, 01:00 PM
I'm going to recommend using demiplane to store your undead army.

Just make a demiplane and throw all of your undead in there, allowing you to make any number of them and just leave them there until it is time to release them on an enemy fool. Also preferably from a location where said undead can't reach the PCs.