PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Talent Based Fighter

Ryuujin
2015-06-24, 08:30 PM
Well I tried posting this elsewhere on the giant in the playground forums, but didn't get much response, and I think that might be because it is homebrew and the best place to get homebrew feedback is in the homebrew section.

Awhile back I saw a poster, going by Yakk, on another forum in a topic about improving the fighter, who came up with an interesting idea. Apparently the idea came around from some old school homebrewed talent Rogue that was based off an old Magic User from one of the earliest editions. I don't know all the details, all I know is what this poster posted in that thread. I had been toying with an idea for a Legendary Hero archetype for Fighters at the time, and what I saw of this Talent Fighter seemed like it could do what I wanted better than simply bolting certain concentration, or otherwise, spells onto a Fighter as constant effects.

I asked them about it, and they suggested they posted more about it somewhere else, but I could never find where. And eventually they stopped posting about it as far as I can tell, and I was disappointed. They came up with three talents that look interesting, and some names for some other possible talents, but no mechanics for them. I thought about trying to figure out what to come up with for those other talents, but then thought that I probably couldn't do it justice and match them closely to the power level of the previous talents. So instead of trying to figure them out by myself I thought that maybe if I posted what already existed here the posters here could come up with workable rules for the whole thing.

Talents Known

Code:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6
1 1
2 2
3 3
4 2 1
5 2 2
6 2 3
7 2 2 1
8 2 2 2
9 2 2 3
10 2 2 2 1
11 2 2 2 2
12 2 2 2 3
13 2 2 2 2 1
14 2 2 2 2 2
15 2 2 2 2 3
16 2 2 2 2 2 1
17 2 2 2 2 2 2
18 2 2 2 2 2 3
19 2 2 2 2 2 2 1
20 2 2 2 2 2 2 2

At each level you either learn a new Talent, or upgrade a low level one. When you reach level 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 or 18, you pick a talent of your highest level, and learn it at the next level up.

Sample Talent ideas:
Leap: You can jump 2/3/5/10/20/50/100 times farther than normal. If you spend an action to jump, this can exceed your normal speed. You can melee attack after using an action to jump as a bonus action, dealing an extra (ability leveld12) damage if the attack hits.

Strength: You have advantage on Strength checks to lift, push or pull, or to resist same. You can carry (ability level+character level/2, round up)*2 times more weight than normal. If you fail a Strength saving throw and have your second wind available, you can reroll the save. If the reroll fails, you lose your second wind and the save succeeds. Your current and maximum strength increases by (ability level*2).

Leadership: A follower is any ally who acknowledges you as their leader. Once per round as a reaction you can add d3/d4/d6/d8/d10/d12/d20 to a failed check or save a follower who can see or hear you makes: if the check still fails, you regain your reaction. Your followers have advantage on all saves against fear or effects (such as charm) that would promote disloyalty to you. Others can feel your leadership, and may want to follow you.

As I believe I have said I really like this idea, but the writer never revealed what any of the other talents would do in that thread, and I couldn't find any other references to what the other talents would do.

Because I think pure combat attributes are a bad idea -- we should instead grant the character awesome abilities that can be used in combat, which would grant both combat utility *and* non-combat utility -- here is an attempt at a list:

Lifting, Jumping, Leadership, Deceit, Impenetrability, Senses, Reflexes, Grip, Throwing Arm, Endurance, Running, Swinging/Tumbling, Tactics, Strategy, Morale, Grit, Gusto, Practice, Analyze, Stubbornness, Luck...

These are taken from the mythic (non-spellcaster) heros I'm aware of. Can you think of others?

Adding "extra damage" is easy.

So there is a list of possible other talents, I am curious what the posters on GITP would come up with for those talents, using the three fleshed out ones above as examples.

mictrepanier
2015-06-25, 09:47 AM
Sorry, but I think a champion with appropriate feats may get the same results...