PDA

View Full Version : Current compatibility

aspekt
2015-06-24, 10:31 PM
I have not played PF at any point, but I was considering incorporating elements, splat books, etc.

At this point in time how far have 3.5 and PF deviated from each other?

While I know there are SRDs for both I was hoping for actual player / dm experiences with blending the two.

Sacrieur
2015-06-24, 10:37 PM
PF is more streamlined and consolidated than 3.5

Converting from 3.5 → PF is easy. Converting from PF → 3.5 can be challenging. In addition PF tends to be stronger.

Morcleon
2015-06-24, 10:57 PM
In addition PF tends to be stronger.

Specifically, PF has a higher optimization floor and higher "normal" power level, but a much lower optimization ceiling than 3.5e.

atemu1234
2015-06-24, 11:11 PM
Converting from PF → 3.5 can be challenging.

I do alright.

aspekt
2015-06-28, 12:25 PM
Thanks folks!

(Un)Inspired
2015-06-28, 02:31 PM
I would say that Pathfinder appears more powerful than 3.5 but is actually deceptively weaker.

For instance, all the classes get a loads and loads of class features but have trouble doing the kind of damage that was easily achievable in 3.5.

Casters were given a ton of little quirky things related to their school, domain, etc; but buckets of spells have been nerfed.

Ssalarn
2015-06-28, 02:51 PM
PF is higher floor, lower ceiling. They've streamlined a few of the systems and brought niche balance more in line, though they haven't really addressed martial/caster disparity at all in Paizo's core system.

It's not terribly hard to convert in either direction, though I'd avoid converting or allowing things that have already been converted or which rely on things that have been (like Power Attack which has the same function but works very differently in each system, or Leap Attack that interacts with PA in a way that is drastically more potent in PF).

Having done both, my preference is to use a PF base and bring the 3.5 materials I want forward.