PDA

View Full Version : Svirfneblin Beguiler Feats?

Lolth
2007-04-27, 04:55 PM
Hi,

Need Feats for a Level 1 Svirfneblin Beguiler. I have two to spend. I know all the typical/core ones (I think) and their uses, I am looking for anything I might have overlooked. Other books aren't guaranteed to be approved, but there's a chance.

Any suggestions? Please?

Talya
2007-04-27, 04:56 PM
errr...
Svirfneblin beguiler.

God. Glutton for punishment? Isn't charisma their casting stat?

Ikkitosen
2007-04-27, 04:57 PM
Don't go the feinting route, it's naff. Unless you intend to go Beguiler 20 and like planning way in advance.

^ No, they're spontaneous Int-based casters. LA +3 hurts though!

Talya
2007-04-27, 05:07 PM
^ No, they're spontaneous Int-based casters. LA +3 hurts though!

Huh. Serves me right for not looking more closely.

Still, that seems wrong. charisma is the very point of the word beguile.

Ikkitosen
2007-04-27, 05:25 PM
Consider that their form of MAD, not that they need charisma, what with their magic.

Talya
2007-04-27, 05:42 PM
Charm spells rely on charisma a lot after you cast them.

Lolth
2007-04-27, 05:43 PM
If nothing better comes along, I'll go with (Greater) Spell Focus - Illusion.

I want to play a Svirf, and one not tricked out for melee, and this is seeming the most interesting route at present, given the classes available to me.

Thanks! Open to other suggestions, always.

Lolth
2007-04-27, 05:59 PM
LA +3 hurts though!

It does, but it's gonna hurt whatever I do. I want to play a Svirf, that's the price I pay.

My thoughts on Beguiler also extend to: Armored Mage, + Dexterity, + Small, + Svirf bonus for GREAT AC, which helps survivability since I'll be level 1 for a while.

And better hit points than an Illusionist, coupled with Svirf bonus on Illusions already, plus the fact that they can (spontaneously) cast most of the good Core Illusion spells more often... Plus OK Skills, for when spells won't do.

Could be a lot worse, IMO.

Galathir
2007-04-27, 06:00 PM
A beguiler can get by without Charisma, but it certainly comes in handy, especially if you are trying to be the face of the party.

As for feats, I recommend Unsettling Enchantment from CMage and Spell Focus (Enchantment).

Ikkitosen
2007-04-28, 08:20 AM
Having accepted the idea of a svirfneblin beguiler (I hate threads where people say "don't play that, play a human CoDzilla insteadm they're better!), I agree that SF: Illusion rocks the house for you. Don't forget the obligatory Mindbender dip for telepathy and for pushing your advanced learning spells up a level.

Charisma is needed to some extent, but I'd go Int>Dex>Con>Cha>Wis>Str, assuming this doesn't dump str to the point where you can't wear your mithral chain shirt (or mithral plate if you go battlecaster, but I wouldn't advise this for a skillmonkey).

Cybren
2007-04-28, 06:52 PM
I would just suggest being a regular gnome.

ZekeArgo
2007-04-29, 05:31 AM
Having accepted the idea of a svirfneblin beguiler (I hate threads where people say "don't play that, play a human CoDzilla insteadm they're better!)

Please show me where this was stated? All I saw were people pointing out that either a) svirf's have a cha penalty while mistakenly thinking that beguilers are like other spontaneous casters, and b) that any race with a +3 LA is a sub-par choice for a caster. As a matter of fact, please show me *any* thread where that has been stated. Heres a hint: you won't find one, because it has never been said.

Otherwise, I would suggest that, if you have access to the Player's Guide to Faerun, you use the "Lesser Deep Gnome" option on page 191. All the Svirfneblin flavor, none of the crazy +3 LA drawbacks.

Ikkitosen
2007-04-29, 06:55 AM
Please show me where this was stated? All I saw were people pointing out that either a) svirf's have a cha penalty while mistakenly thinking that beguilers are like other spontaneous casters, and b) that any race with a +3 LA is a sub-par choice for a caster. As a matter of fact, please show me *any* thread where that has been stated. Heres a hint: you won't find one, because it has never been said.

Otherwise, I would suggest that, if you have access to the Player's Guide to Faerun, you use the "Lesser Deep Gnome" option on page 191. All the Svirfneblin flavor, none of the crazy +3 LA drawbacks.

No, because my comment was not aimed at you, or anyone in particular. I was merely stating why, in addition to politeness, I was sticking tightly to the thread topic and not suggesting a "better" (mechanically) build.

Sorry, but my post was not about you. And a very short search will find you lots of threads where the OP's question is largely ignored in favour of putting one's own opinions on a "better" build forward. I'll allow you to find your own examples because I don't want to single out any one poster's tendency to do this.

So, if you have a decent Wis (not likely, but who knows) Arcane Disciple is a great way to add some extra spells to your spell list - something a bit more direct if you'd liek that option in addition to your already subtle spell list.

If you intend to make use of your feinting ability, Mobile Spellcasting will help you escape from melee should you want to.

Spell Focus, as discussed, would be a strong choice.