PDA

View Full Version : simple question

Immabozo
2015-06-25, 01:32 AM
What do you think is the most broken class/PrC, any legal 3.5 material can be considered. I understand a build can get very much more out of a class, but, whether for 20 levels, or just 1, which class do you think gives the most bang for your buck?

Pun entirely intendid

erok0809
2015-06-25, 01:47 AM
Incantatrix is always a good choice for a broken class. Free persistent spells with a spellcraft check (really easy to pump checks up) makes for a very very tough character.

glitterbaby
2015-06-25, 01:54 AM
For just one level I really like the Spelldancer PrC. It has some pretty harsh requirements but its primary mechanic (spelldancing) comes right away at level one. Find some way to work around the ability damage (racial immunities from construct/undead work nicely) and then you can have as much metamagic as you want. The only downside is that it takes a few rounds to cast the spell (extra rounds = number of spell levels of metamagic) but that's not an issue if you use it for something like Persistent Spell. I think you can even extend a persisted spell so you're not using up all your daily spell slots. You may want to confirm if that works or not, I'm away from books at the moment.

Karl Aegis
2015-06-25, 01:54 AM
Druid 1. How do you even compete with the glory that is NATURE SENSE.

Immabozo
2015-06-25, 02:08 AM
Druid 1. How do you even compete with the glory that is NATURE SENSE.

trollololol

eggynack
2015-06-25, 02:46 AM
Hathran seems pretty high up there as efficient ability granting goes. Spontaneous access to all of your spells, and a few extra spells added to your list as a bonus makes for great stuff.

TheNivMizzet
2015-06-25, 05:34 AM
1) Illithid Savant, if only because it can have the class features of the other broken classes if it wants to.
2) Beholder Mage, because 10/turn free action spells is ridiculous.
3) Incantatrix, free metamagic is always powerful and its other features aren't that bad.
4) Planar Shepard, can do really amazing things with Druids and other planes.
5) Initiate of the sevenfold veil, able to protect itself and others with its prismatic wall at will. Can get really silly when combined with Incantatrix.

Immabozo
2015-06-25, 08:08 PM
Some great answers! I'd love to hear more!

ExLibrisMortis
2015-06-25, 08:15 PM
Dweomerkeeper is up there, too. Cheaper metamagic and a daily batch of no-SR standard action spells? Much bang, few buck.

Immabozo
2015-06-26, 12:07 AM
Dweomerkeeper is up there, too. Cheaper metamagic and a daily batch of no-SR standard action spells? Much bang, few buck.

I dont think I am familiar with that one. What book is it from?

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-26, 12:16 AM
I dont think I am familiar with that one. What book is it from?

Faiths and Pantheons, p. 189. Its main draw is the ability to cast spells as (Su) a few times per day, bypassing expensive components.

Immabozo
2015-06-26, 01:39 AM
Faiths and Pantheons, p. 189. Its main draw is the ability to cast spells as (Su) a few times per day, bypassing expensive components.

Ohhh, that sounds fun!

erok0809
2015-06-26, 01:43 AM

I don't know if it changed since 3.0, which is where Faiths and Pantheons is from, so this might be a moot point, but the most recent version of Dweomerkeeper is in the Complete Divine Web Enhancement, just so you're aware.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-26, 01:47 AM
I don't know if it changed since 3.0, which is where Faiths and Pantheons is from, so this might be a moot point, but the most recent version of Dweomerkeeper is in the Complete Divine Web Enhancement, just so you're aware.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was actually looking at the CDiv version, just not in the web enhancement - the F&P version has more stringent requirements and doesn't grant Supernatural Spell.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-26, 02:04 AM
I think Illithid Savant is the most broken PrC, based on the fact that it can replicate all the brokeness of the other classes. The other suggestions are all pretty valid.

Immabozo
2015-06-26, 02:49 AM
I think Illithid Savant is the most broken PrC, based on the fact that it can replicate all the brokeness of the other classes. The other suggestions are all pretty valid.

I'll have to look that one up, it's been a long time since I read it

EDIT: I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned StP Erudite, or Thrallherd. Are those not as incredibly broken as I think they are?

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-26, 03:40 AM
I'll have to look that one up, it's been a long time since I read it

EDIT: I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned StP Erudite, or Thrallherd. Are those not as incredibly broken as I think they are?

Both of those require DM help. If I make it so you cannot get at ways of acquiring new spells/powers than StP does little for you. Thrallherd can be cool, but if your DM insist on making thralls/followers for you (and if Curmudgeon were here he would cite the rule that says that they can) its power varies wildly.

Compare this to, say, Beholder Mage. I need a permissive DM to touch it, but afterwards its power is all RAW. Same with Illithid Savant.

Immabozo
2015-06-26, 04:07 AM
Both of those require DM help. If I make it so you cannot get at ways of acquiring new spells/powers than StP does little for you. Thrallherd can be cool, but if your DM insist on making thralls/followers for you (and if Curmudgeon were here he would cite the rule that says that they can) its power varies wildly.

Compare this to, say, Beholder Mage. I need a permissive DM to touch it, but afterwards its power is all RAW. Same with Illithid Savant.

Well, with Psychic Reformation, that's cute that the DM thinks he cant make them. I can re-make them!

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-26, 04:13 AM
Well, with Psychic Reformation, that's cute that the DM thinks he cant make them. I can re-make them!

They will bleed experience for the privilege though, and even then you can only change feats taken and skills picked. If I give you a bear totem barbarian there isn't much you can do about the lost features.

Immabozo
2015-06-26, 05:40 AM
They will bleed experience for the privilege though, and even then you can only change feats taken and skills picked. If I give you a bear totem barbarian there isn't much you can do about the lost features.

Isn't there a psionic power that can change levels taken?