PDA

View Full Version : Eladrin form and spellcasting

Melcar
2015-06-25, 03:50 AM
Hi guys...

Im looking at this spell, and wonder, why it says one cant cast spells in this form? The reason I ask is, that if one were to be able to cast spells still, silent and material eschewed, I cant see why one shouldn't be able to cast in this form... Can anyone possibly tell me why and if I
m right in, that one can cast spells, as long as no components are needed?

ExLibrisMortis
2015-06-25, 07:17 AM
You can't cast spells because the spell says so; it's not an automatic result of incorporealty or lack of limbs. You could argue that the spell just reminds people of the requirements for V, S and M components (those being mouth, arms and arms again). By that reasoning, you could cast spells that don't have V, S or M components. But that's not how I'd read it.

Melcar
2015-06-25, 08:29 AM
The thing is, I have yet to see any rules, besides being inside an antimagic zone, dead magic zone or having your mind screwed, that actually makes you unable to use your magic. As long as your mind funktions normally, you would be able to activate spells, that had no component. Right? I dont se you loosing class abilities by way of this spell, like turning into a bird does not remove spellcasting either...

I would argue, that since it does not mention that its the class ability of casting spells which is removed, I would think it was "just" to say that no arms and no mouth makes it not possible.

My point is, that I find it strage, that it would somehow remove you ability to cast spells, if that ability is purely mental!

Terazul
2015-06-25, 08:37 AM
The thing is, I have yet to see any rules, besides being inside an antimagic zone, dead magic zone or having your mind screwed, that actually makes you unable to use your magic.

The rules are right there in the spell. You're able to use Spell-Like and Psionic abilities, but you may not cast spells or use physical attacks. You could certainly houserule it otherwise that a stilled/silent/whatever is effectively the same. But as written, the spell itself doesn't care: if it's your action would be a spell, you can't cast it.

Red Fel
2015-06-25, 08:49 AM
The rules are right there in the spell. You're able to use Spell-Like and Psionic abilities, but you may not cast spells or use physical attacks.

This. You can argue whatever you want, but if the spell explicitly says X, then X is the rule, full stop. There are a lot of spells that make little or no sense as a result (see the dysfunction threads), but they say what they say, and absent houseruling, that's the end of that conversation.

The spell says you cannot cast spells or use physical attacks. The why is irrelevant; you can't use spells or physical attacks.

Melcar
2015-06-25, 08:54 AM
This. You can argue whatever you want, but if the spell explicitly says X, then X is the rule, full stop. There are a lot of spells that make little or no sense as a result (see the dysfunction threads), but they say what they say, and absent houseruling, that's the end of that conversation.

The spell says you cannot cast spells or use physical attacks. The why is irrelevant; you can't use spells or physical attacks.

Indeed... That was also what I read, but as I said, I find this wierd or impossible, in the fact that nothing else like this removes the class ability of spellcasting for a wizard. I agree that RAW you cant, but that I believe to be a typo.

Anyways you guys have answered my question, and for that i thank you.

Ungoded
2015-06-25, 08:59 AM
...in the fact that nothing else like this removes the class ability of spellcasting for a wizard.

Transformation. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transformation.htm)

Melcar
2015-06-25, 09:01 AM
Transformation. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transformation.htm)

I see... I did not know that one, but at least that does specifically say that its your class ability that goes...

Rebel7284
2015-06-25, 09:23 AM
I see... I did not know that one, but at least that does specifically say that its your class ability that goes...

Besides Tenser's Transformation which is core, there are all the spells in the Polmorph Subschool in PHB2, some reprinted in SpC I think, that explicitly take away spellcasting. There is also Body of War or some such that transforms you into a warforged titan and takes away spellcasting.

Melcar
2015-06-25, 02:10 PM
Besides Tenser's Transformation which is core, there are all the spells in the Polmorph Subschool in PHB2, some reprinted in SpC I think, that explicitly take away spellcasting. There is also Body of War or some such that transforms you into a warforged titan and takes away spellcasting.

Im pretty sure they dont all take away spellcasting...

A second reading would seem they do, which is why I will never use any of those spells!

atemu1234
2015-06-25, 02:19 PM
Im pretty sure they dont all take away spellcasting...

A second reading would seem they do, which is why I will never use any of those spells!

Exactly. You're better off with Polymorphing spells.