View Full Version : DM Help Extreeme Barbarian

cica
2015-06-25, 07:48 AM
I've created a game for the first time, but one of my players wish to make a new character. We have agreed to kill him but he have made a half-orc barbarian with extreeme stats. How do i kill him without doing a total party wipeout? The other players are a halfling Rouge and a human Bard. Do you have some ideas?

Callin
2015-06-25, 07:52 AM
Have the Rogue Coup de Grace the Orc in his sleep. Auto Crit and with Sneak Attack Dice the DC will be more than enough for the Orc to fail.... Fortitude Save DC 10+Damage Delt from crit + Sneak Attack damage.

nedz
2015-06-25, 07:55 AM
Just have the character wander off and do something else. There's no need to kill him just so the player can create a new character.

Mystral
2015-06-25, 08:01 AM
I've created a game for the first time, but one of my players wish to make a new character. We have agreed to kill him but he have made a half-orc barbarian with extreeme stats. How do i kill him without doing a total party wipeout? The other players are a halfling Rouge and a human Bard. Do you have some ideas?

Attack his will save.

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-25, 09:34 AM
Disintegrate is usually how I tell our wizard to deal with problems. "I'm trapped behind the wall!" Disintegrate! "I'm being attacked!" Disintegrate. "I can't open this jar of peanut butter!" Disintegrate?

noob
2015-06-25, 10:01 AM
Disintegrate does not works against gods and we do not know how extreme is the barbarian if it is level 1000 and that he have 200 divine ranks and an complete fitting equipment making him look like a Christmas tree and immunizing it against everything it will be very hard.
Do not go from the principle that because it is the first play players are low level.

Bad Wolf
2015-06-25, 10:06 AM
Disintegrate does not works against gods and we do not know how extreme is the barbarian if it is level 1000 and that he have 200 divine ranks and an complete fitting equipment making him look like a Christmas tree and immunizing it against everything it will be very hard.
Do not go from the principle that because it is the first play players are low level.

....what? That makes no sense.

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-25, 10:08 AM
If you're playing with god powers enabled, Sphere of Annihilation?

....what? That makes no sense.
I think it was "We don't know how powerful the character is and Disintegrate might not work on them." But I still stand by my statement, if there is a powerful Barbarian, there is an equally powerful Wizard.

"There's always a bigger fish."

Bad Wolf
2015-06-25, 10:26 AM
Oh. Well, that seems unlikely. I say steal all his equipment while he sleeps, then have the rogue sneak attack him.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-25, 10:27 AM
"There's always a bigger fish Wizard."
Big Wizards tend to be more efficient at killing a single target while leaving its surroundings unscathed than fishes.

Although making the ex-character leave the group for a random reason or killing him in his sleep seems more reasonable in my opinion.

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-25, 10:31 AM
Oh. Well, that seems unlikely. I say steal all his equipment while he sleeps, then have the rogue sneak attack him.
Agreed.

Big Wizards tend to be more efficient at killing a single target while leaving its surroundings unscathed than fishes.
What if it was awakened King Salmon with 20 levels in Wizard? You should know better than to stereotype our aquatic friends.

OldTrees1
2015-06-25, 10:44 AM

1) Characters can leave for other reasons than death. Other options include: Retirement, Following a different Quest, Needing to go deal with Family Issues, ...

2) Barbarians are vulnerable to Will saves and Reflex saves. Charm Person and windy bridges are good options.

3) Have you considered having the Barbarian die holding back enemies in order to let the other PCs escape? That way you could bust out a much stronger force and have the Barbarian be the only death.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-06-25, 01:35 PM
He becomes an NPC for reasons and is replaced by the new character. You don't necessarily need to kill him.

atemu1234
2015-06-25, 02:12 PM
Have him break down into an entire pantheon. End of story for him.

Telonius
2015-06-25, 02:42 PM
A decent anti-Barbarian tactic is Ray of Dizziness (from Spell Compendium). No save, SR: yes, limits him to either a move or a standard action per turn. Hit him with one, wait out the Rage, and plunk away at him from range.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-25, 02:48 PM
Do you need to kill him? Why do you need to kill him? His character can just leave. Maybe his tribe called him home for some purpose (maybe they need his help in a war with another tribe, or if he's high-level their chief just died and he's the most suitable replacement).

Twurps
2015-06-25, 03:47 PM
Sure you don't have to kill him, but if you agreed with the player he want's his character to be killed, there's much more inventive and heroic ways.

Party stumbles across an overwhelming force of baddies. Only way out is through a small tunnel. "if only we had a way to block the tunnel long enough to make our gettaway!!"

Or you could have him roll reflex to save his party from a grenade

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-25, 03:54 PM

HAH

I hope this becomes a running joke on GitP, á la shirtless sorcerers.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-25, 04:02 PM
Hey, I got that reference!

With our combined efforts, we can make this a reality.

(Un)Inspired
2015-06-26, 12:48 AM
What does extreeme mean?

I thought it might be a typo but it came up twice...

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-26, 12:52 AM
I am curious how the barbarian's hp is so high the rogue doesn't one shot him.

If you want him to die have the rogue coup de grace him in his sleep. Preferably with a pick. Maxed critical damage, sneak attack damage, and a fort save vs death are likely to drop him.

Killer Angel
2015-06-26, 06:29 AM
What does extreeme mean?

I thought it might be a typo but it came up twice...

Then probably it's a mistaken convinction. :smallwink:

Kesnit
2015-06-26, 06:33 AM
He becomes an NPC for reasons and is replaced by the new character. You don't necessarily need to kill him.

Do you need to kill him? Why do you need to kill him? His character can just leave. Maybe his tribe called him home for some purpose (maybe they need his help in a war with another tribe, or if he's high-level their chief just died and he's the most suitable replacement).

What my group has done is even simpler than that. "No, I wasn't playing a Psion. My PC has always been a Totemist. You have always been adventuring with a Totemist. You never knew a Psion..."

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-26, 09:33 AM
Apparently I am a wizard...

paranoidbox
2015-06-26, 10:02 AM
Okay, here's my solution to it.

Upon witnessing the death of a fluffy baby chicken, the barbarian realizes his entire life is meaningless and everything in the world will die. Even he, a mighty and extreeme warrior, will one day end up as a pile of decayed flesh and exposed bone, buried in a shallow grave or eaten by monsters. There's no reason to do anything, not even a reason to try or get out of bed. Life, the multiverse, everything is cruel and uncaring. Woe is unto him and he sinks deeper and deeper into a spiral of depressed thoughts and gloomy dreams. He throws away his greataxe, takes up a lyre, multiclasses as a bard, and wanders anonymously across the world to sing sad songs for all who would listen. And thus ends the tale of the extreeme barbarian, never heard from again.

Starbuck_II
2015-06-26, 11:40 AM
Why kill him: have a psion use reality revision to redo his class (retraining rules).

jiriku
2015-06-26, 11:52 AM
Why kill him: have a psion use reality revision to redo his class (retraining rules). turn him into a sandwich.

Fixed it for you!

Honest Tiefling
2015-06-26, 02:10 PM
I am mildly confused why the option of the Barbarian wandering off isn't an option as many people have asked. But if you must kill the barbarian, why fight fairly? Get him drunk first. Bard convinces him to get falling down drunk, while the rogue acquires the necessary funds and/or booze. Heck, frame the barbarian for the thefts and try to collect the reward. Bonus points if the new character helps in the shenanigans.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-26, 02:13 PM
I am mildly confused why the option of the Barbarian wandering off isn't an option as many people have asked.

We actually don't know if it's an option. The OP hasn't posted since, well, the opening post.

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-26, 02:47 PM
We actually don't know if it's an option. The OP hasn't posted since, well, the opening post.
Absent OP? Disintegrate!

Honest Tiefling
2015-06-26, 03:04 PM
Absent OP? Disintegrate!

Oh. So that's what happened to the poor guy.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-26, 03:09 PM
Absent OP? Disintegrate!

Since (with one exception) I view everyone's avatars as their physical manifestations, always have no reason why, the thought of his avatar doing this with a dalek voice made me die from laughter.

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-26, 03:18 PM
Since (with one exception) I view everyone's avatars as their physical manifestations, always have no reason why, the thought of his avatar doing this with a dalek voice made me die from laughter.
They know... DISINTEGRATE.

Honest Tiefling
2015-06-26, 03:21 PM

Now I imagining that character towering over a gaming table, Mountain Dew in hand, Cheeto dust on his fingers. Somewhat takes the dignity out of the avatar...

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-26, 03:26 PM
The exception is the worst. Roland St. Jude shares part of his name... with my pet hedgehog. I have a permanent visual of, when I am asleep, Roland coming out of his igloo, breaks out of his cage, and delivers forum justice from my laptop.

I mean no disrespect by it... it just happened automatically.

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-26, 04:02 PM
Now I imagining that character towering over a gaming table, Mountain Dew in hand, Cheeto dust on his fingers. Somewhat takes the dignity out of the avatar...
I find this amusing. My friends and I had a discussion about our D&D characters playing D&D instead of us. We found it amusing, since whenever they sit down at a table together, all hell ends up breaking loose.

The exception is the worst. Roland St. Jude shares part of his name... with my pet hedgehog. I have a permanent visual of, when I am asleep, Roland coming out of his igloo, breaks out of his cage, and delivers forum justice from my laptop.
This is amusing, because I too have a hedgehog. So I understand your visual.