PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Marshal minor aura question.

D4rkh0rus
2015-06-25, 09:42 AM
Hi playground, I was wondering, the marshal minor aura, motivate charisma... Would it work with divine grace (cha to saves)?
I would think it doesn't but I'd like some input.

Also, supposedly initiative is a dexterity check, but, if I could add my charisma to it (iaijutsu master 2) would it allow me to apply the motivate charisma bonus to it?

What about armor class?

I am dipping marshal 1 for an aura, but can't decide between motivate charisma or dexterity. (On the one hand, double charisma to social skills is awesome, on the other, even more initiative and bonuses to hide, move silently and tumble always help.

Thanks guys for any input.

Flickerdart
2015-06-25, 09:49 AM
Hi playground, I was wondering, the marshal minor aura, motivate charisma... Would it work with divine grace (cha to saves)?
Saving throws are neither ability checks nor skill checks.

Also, supposedly initiative is a dexterity check, but, if I could add my charisma to it (iaijutsu master 2) would it allow me to apply the motivate charisma bonus to it?
Initiative is a Dexterity check. It does not become a Charisma check just because you can add your Charisma modifier to it.

What about armor class?
AC is not a check.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-06-25, 09:51 AM
Divine Grace isn't a check, and neither is AC, so Motivate Charisma won't affect them.

Initiative is a dexterity check, and even if you add your charisma bonus to initiative, that doesn't change. Motivate Charisma won't affect it.

If you're worried about picking the wrong one, you can always use psychic reformation to switch between auras.

Darrin
2015-06-25, 09:59 AM

By RAW, no. None of the saving throws are considered "Charisma checks" or "Charisma-based skill checks".

By RAW, no. Motivate Charisma does not increase your Charisma bonus if it is already being applied to something. All it does is expand the number of conditions where your Charisma bonus can be applied to a check. It does not change which base ability score is associated with a particular check.

What about armor class?

Nope. There's a Major Aura (Motivate Care) that's supposed to do that.

I am dipping marshal 1 for an aura, but can't decide between motivate charisma or dexterity. (On the one hand, double charisma to social skills is awesome, on the other, even more initiative and bonuses to hide, move silently and tumble always help.

Hmm... not sure what your stat array looks like, but I think I'd go with Dex.

D4rkh0rus
2015-06-25, 10:35 AM
Hmm... not sure what your stat array looks like, but I think I'd go with Dex.

It's somewhere around
Str 2
Dex 8
Con -
Int 22
Wis 8
Cha 24
At lvl 3 with 1 exp (downgraded to 1 from the ritual)

For a int and cha to everything. Old magic blooded grey elf necropolitan build.

I'd be using iaijutsu focus with dual quick razor for combat, and I add my int (factotum 3) and charisma (iaijutsu master 2) to initiative.

So, the question ends up being, more initiative, or more diplomacy/damage.

Darrin
2015-06-25, 10:50 AM
So, the question ends up being, more initiative, or more diplomacy/damage.

Assuming a standard party where you are the primary face... more diplomacy/iajutsu helps just you. More initiative/Dex-stuff helps the entire party more.

RedMage125
2015-06-25, 02:01 PM
If you're worried about picking the wrong one, you can always use psychic reformation to switch between auras.

Is blue sarcasm? I forget.

Because if it's not, then you're leading the OP astray. Psychic Reformation can NOT allow a Marshal to change his/her auras. The Retraining rules in the PHB2 can allow them to change a class feature, but only when levelling up.

PR allows the changing of skills and feats, as well as powers known.

Marshal aura is not a "power" as psionics rules recognize use of the word "power". It is a Class Feature.

D4rkh0rus
2015-06-25, 02:40 PM

Because if it's not, then you're leading the OP astray. Psychic Reformation can NOT allow a Marshal to change his/her auras. The Retraining rules in the PHB2 can allow them to change a class feature, but only when levelling up.

Marshal aura is not a "power" as psionics rules recognize use of the word "power". It is a Class Feature.

I'm sure it was sarcasm. As every time someone can't decide between something, psyreform is usually the answer.

Although I've ended up opting for motivate dexterity, the initiative will be over 9000 and with tactile trap smith and other stuff, I can skimp on quite a few skills and put those points in others, so then, tons of skills.

Thanks playground.

Rubik
2015-06-25, 02:44 PM
Because if it's not, then you're leading the OP astray. Psychic Reformation can NOT allow a Marshal to change his/her auras.Do marshals get to choose their auras upon gaining a level in marshal? I forget.

When this power is manifested, the subject can choose to spend its most recently gained skill points differently (picking new skills and abandoning old ones if it chooses) and to choose a different feat from the one it selected when advancing from its previous level to its current level.

The subject can also choose to forget powers it acquired when advancing to its current level, replacing them with new ones.

The subject can undo decisions of these sorts that were made at lower levels, if both the subject and the manifester agree to pay the necessary XP before this power is manifested (see below). The subject must abide by the standard rules for selecting skills and feats, and so it cannot take feats for which it doesn’t qualify or take crossclass skills as class skills. A marshal's auras are the sort of decision one would make upon level up, similar to a psion's powers, so yes, Psychic Reformation should allow you to change them when manifested.

Unless your DM says otherwise, of course.

Lorddenorstrus
2015-06-25, 02:49 PM

He was making a joke related to Lorddrako attempting to do just that. Frankly I find most references to that large thread of stupidity amusing.

nedz
2015-06-25, 03:17 PM
By RAW, no. None of the saving throws are considered "Charisma checks" or "Charisma-based skill checks".

Nitpick: there are a few — well sort of. E.g. Charm Person can trigger an opposed Charisma check.

RedMage125
2015-06-25, 03:24 PM
He was making a joke related to Lorddrako attempting to do just that. Frankly I find most references to that large thread of stupidity amusing.
I'm the one who pointed out to LordDrako that he couldn't do that.

I just didn't remember if blue was sarcasm or not.

Do marshals get to choose their auras upon gaining a level in marshal? I forget.

A marshal's auras are the sort of decision one would make upon level up, similar to a psion's powers, so yes, Psychic Reformation should allow you to change them when manifested.

Unless your DM says otherwise, of course.
Incorrect, Rubik.

When this power is manifested, the subject can choose to spend its most recently gained skill points differently (picking new skills and abandoning old ones if it chooses) and to choose a different feat from the one it selected when advancing from its previous level to its current level.

The subject can also choose to forget powers it acquired when advancing to its current level, replacing them with new ones.

The subject can undo decisions of these sorts that were made at lower levels, if both the subject and the manifester agree to pay the necessary XP before this power is manifested (see below). The subject must abide by the standard rules for selecting skills and feats, and so it cannot take feats for which it doesn’t qualify or take crossclass skills as class skills.

Only decisions of SKill Points, Feats, and Powers can be changed by PsyRef.

The Retraining rules in the PHB2 would allow a Marshal to change his Auras, but only when he levels up again.

If a DM wants to overrule that, it's on them. But as per the RAW, no.

daremetoidareyo
2015-06-25, 04:25 PM
Back to the minor aura question

So the general consensus is that Marshal's minor auras do not affect PC saving throw bonus granted by ability scores? How about the inverse: setting the DCs for opponents. If I use an ability that builds its DC as 10+1/2character level+ability modifier, can a marshal's aura increase that ability modifier?

This has nothing to do with that venomancer that I'm working on.

Flickerdart
2015-06-25, 04:59 PM
Back to the minor aura question

So the general consensus is that Marshal's minor auras do not affect PC saving throw bonus granted by ability scores? How about the inverse: setting the DCs for opponents. If I use an ability that builds its DC as 10+1/2character level+ability modifier, can a marshal's aura increase that ability modifier?

This has nothing to do with that venomancer that I'm working on.

DCs are not ability or skill checks. It doesn't work.