PDA

View Full Version : Cursed Fate: Chapter 0

Philemonite
2015-06-25, 02:49 PM
Three days of nonstop rain brought changes to Westgate. At first sight, the only effect was on the outside. Water rushing through the streets managed to wash away all the grime that piled up during the drought. And for most Westgate citizens that was all that happened. However, for those few who were cursed (or blessed) there was more to it. The end of the drought represented the start of another cycle. Another chance to win or lose. Another chance...

A young boy walked through the freshly cleansed streets, his destination was the Senteria dorm. The clouds were starting to clear, being replaced by darkness of nightfall. One drop of rain landed on the boy's had, sending a bolt of electricity through his body. It was strange, and he almost felt something change. However, he didn't really have time to think about it, his new home was right in front of him. The dorm looked bleak, but was big enough, and it had a strange homely feeling to it. That is why the boy didn't wait to be let in. Instead, he opened the door (that was strangely enough not locked) and let himself in. The lighting in the large common room was dim, but he could see it was well furnished and quite large. There was something in this place that made him feel welcome. But his thoughts were soon interrupted by a voice that didn't really sound friendly.
"Who are you, and what are you doing here?"
The red-haired boy that was coming down the stairs didn't really look happy.

Xhosant
2015-06-26, 01:17 PM
Soga is quite surprised at the aggression.

"I'm Soga, Soga Tareso. I was told I'd move in here after transferring, isn't this the Senteria dorm?

Philemonite
2015-06-26, 01:25 PM
"Yes, it is. And if you were polite enough to knock and wait at the door you would be appropriately welcomed." The boy's face remained stern, but the aggression in his voice was almost gone.
"You don't barge into someone's home without invitation. The name is Nathan Scott. You should remember it, friends are a little hard to come by here, and you don't want to get on my bad side."

Xhosant
2015-06-26, 02:33 PM
"Fair, I suppose. I meant no ill, I had just gotten used to an open-door policy dorm..."

"Anyway, good to meet you. Suppose we're dorm-mates, now?"

Philemonite
2015-06-26, 02:45 PM
"Don't apologizes and don't make excuses. That makes you look weak. Acknowledge your mistake and move on, that's the second best thing you can do. This particular incident will become pointless anyway, since you will be granted a dorm key tomorrow morning, and I have no intention of reporting your behavior.
Indeed, we are dorm mates. Your room will be at the end of second floor, and my room is right next to it. You are welcome to visit at any time, provided that you knock first."

Xhosant
2015-06-26, 04:12 PM
"Got it, thanks!"..i think

Without much more option, Soga heads for his room.

Philemonite
2015-06-27, 05:21 AM
Soga didn't really get much sleep that night. As soon as he closed his eyes he saw strange and disturbing images. Images that would disappear as soon as he opened his eyes. Furthermore, there was a strange sensation that made him feel uneasy, as if something was trying to burst out from him.
Somewhere in the middle of the night (it was at least past 2 o'clock) there was a knock on his door, followed by Nathan's voice.
"Tareso, are you awake? Come on, it's time for our initiation. We need to be ready in 10 minutes."

Xhosant
2015-06-27, 06:08 AM
"Initiation?" What the...?

Weirdness aside, Soga needed something to do, since he couldn't sleep, and he was curious. Swiftly changing into proper clothes, he was at his door 4 minutes later.

Philemonite
2015-06-27, 06:22 AM
As soon as Soga exited the room, Nathan gave him a surprised look.
"Not bad for someone woken up in the middle of night." He said with a smile. "But we don't have the time to waste, Elisabeth is already waiting for us."
He gave him no time to wait, as he rushed downstairs, motioning the confused Soga to follow him. As they reached the common room Soga could see a blond-haired girl that can only be described as painfully cheerful.
"This is so amazing. Can you imagine it? After tonight we are going to be full fledged members of Embryon Tribe. I am so hyped. Aren't you?"
Possibly for the first time in his life, Soga realizes there is such a thing as too much enthusiasm.

Xhosant
2015-06-27, 06:27 AM
Still, the enthusiasm gets to him, but there's an odd detail...

"Wait wait wait, the what now? Am I the only one here a few episodes short?

Philemonite
2015-06-27, 06:58 AM
Nathan gives Soga a strange look before something clicks in his mind.
"Well, that makes a lot more sense. Just don't ask stupid questions and try not to faint. You don't want to leave a bad first impression. I will explain everything later."
Shock covers the girl's face as she realizes what is going on.
"But that can't be. He was transferred to our dorm. He was marked. He IS one of us. How can he not know it?"
"You know very well that I do not control the selection process. If I did I wouldn't be waiting until now. We just have to help him adjust, and hope that Serph doesn't notice. As long as he can deal with transformation we are fine. It's not like outsiders are expected to be familiar with our internal politics."

Xhosant
2015-06-27, 08:04 AM
"Marked?", asks Soga, as he looks around himself, to no avail.

"Look, you two, I don't get what's going on, and apparently you do", he says, now starting to grow irritated. "But what I do get, is that I have a certain role you hope I play, and I don't think I will until you tell me more about it. For example, you have about 5 minutes to persuade me to go where I must be by then. How's that for a bargain?"

Philemonite
2015-06-27, 08:46 AM
"You did notice the mark on the back of your hand, right? That's your Atma mark, a proof you are a tuner. Don't worry, only other tuners can see it. As for your demands, they are pointless. Serph will be here in less then 5 minutes, and we will be tested. Resisting can only lead to failure. Besides, you are not a civilian, and as such you are no longer protected. Embryon don't take kindly to spies, there is even a possibility of execution. Marion and I quite capable on our own, and your cooperation does not determine our success. It does, however, determine your future. Ultimately, the choice is yours."
Nathan delivers his words in a rather calm manner, as if he was reporting on the weather.

Xhosant
2015-06-27, 09:21 AM
Checking his palm, which he had missed, Soga indeed sees a swirling cloth pattern there.

None of this made sense. But, what option was there, but wait and see?

"Fine...", he resigns.

Philemonite
2015-06-28, 12:43 PM
After a few minutes of uncomfortable silence, the back door opens and two people enter. One, a man in his mid-twenties and a girl only a few years older then you. Something about his face and his red hair made Soga think he has already seen the man somewhere, but he couldn't really remember where. The girl, on the other hand, didn't really leave much impression. She was rather plain, although obviously attractive. Long black hair was worn in a rather tame manner, and her general appearance pointed at a rather tame person. The man, on the other hand, looked completely different. The grey and orange uniform they both were wearing clearly fit him better, and judging by his general appearance he was man in high position.
"So, this are the new recruits?" The man says. "I must say I am a little disappointed by their number. Still, there is a possibility that a few more initiates will join us soon, and this three should pass their exam, so that should be enough."
He gives Soga a thorough look before continuing. "You must be the new transfer, you may refer to me as Serph, since I am the leader of our tribe. Hopefully, you will be a member after tonight. Due to the circumstances that are beyond my control, you will be put in charge of tonight's mission. Do not worry, Nathan here will be more then happy to assist you. Granted, most of his help comes in a form of criticism, but you will get used to it. And speaking of tonight's mission, it will be a simple one. All you have to do is clear a certain location."
"That is all? I wasn't really expecting a full-fledged skirmish, but I expected more."
"Are you questioning my judgment?"
"Of course not. I was just expressing my expectations. I am more then ready for any challenge that awaits us." Nathan answers with a smile.

Xhosant
2015-06-28, 01:36 PM
A skirmish? What have I gotten myself into?

Soga, however, opts to remain silent, following the boy's earlier advice. The man's intimidating presence might have been part of it. After all, if worse came to worst, he'd rather flee armed and in the chaos than surrounded and enclosed.

Philemonite
2015-06-28, 02:09 PM
"Then I don't think there is anything left to say, and we really shouldn't waste any time. I want this finished soon, so that we can all get some sleep."
And that was it. Before Soga knew what was going on he found himself outside, following this Serph guy. And although there was something strange about the buildings that surrounded them (Soga was pretty sure that he did not see this when he was coming) he didn't really want to ask anything. Soon, they found themselves in front of a strange, half-torn building.
"Let's not prolong this anymore. Clear the building and come back here. You have two hours, but I doubt you will need them. We will wait for you here. That is all."
As the team enters the building, and moves far enough from Serph, Nathan give Soga an evil smile.
"What now, commander?"

Xhosant
2015-06-28, 02:57 PM
Why, this guy's nerve... Fine, let's play ball.

"Now you will give me a detailed and complete debriefing of my, and our, situation, including everything you damn well know puzzles me. That's an order."

Philemonite
2015-06-28, 03:09 PM
"That's not how this is gonna go. I can't give you all the information at once, it is too much. Still, I will start with Atma. It is a special kind of virus, designed to give you access to something that's not really normal. However, you will find that definition of word normal is going to change quite rapidly. To put it simply, it allows you to transform. This other form, referred to as demonic form by some, is the first step. Before that happens you can't really understand what is going on. In order to activate it you just need to focus on your Atma brand and let it happen. Try it."

Xhosant
2015-06-28, 07:54 PM
With a cold stare, and unfazed by the apparent weirdness (you can only experience that much before you no longer care), Soga replies.

"This damn better explain a lot."

Focusing on the weird mark on his hand, Soga closes his eyes.

(mind if it triggers under pressure for me? You know, demand a jab to get working :P))

Philemonite
2015-07-02, 12:00 PM
At first, Soga didn't really have much luck. There were some signs that something was happening, but it wasn't really going anywhere. This was soon interrupted by a group of strange figures moving into the room.
"This is no longer a drill, so you better be ready for this." Nathan said while focusing on his mark. Soon, Soga was able to witness his transformation. Nathan's skin slowly turned red, and Marion followed up by turning pink. Their bodies, and most importantly, their faces soon followed. When they were finished two figures standing before Soga were so different then before, but they still looked vaguely human.

Xhosant
2015-07-02, 09:47 PM
The arriving figures, and the sudden mutation of the pair, broke Soga's concentration is a jolt.

Might be that he was holding back on some level, however, as this sudden jolt changed something.

Like how someone super-focused is easily startled, sorta. His mind moved suddenly and forcefully in the way he was concentrating, and the brand on his hand lit up with a dark-purplish light, almost as bright as a light of that color can be.

Before he could make sense of it, the purplish-black hue enveloped him. A fierce itch started tormenting his forearms, as if his jacket's fabric was digging into them. But it lasted for just a moment, not because it receded, but because of what felt like there was no longer a forearm to itch.

His hood flipped worn, then pulled lower, leaving him with an odd need to grin, his hands suddenly felt awkward as tools of control (but oh so perfect for tearing gashes through enemies). He threw his neck back an a triumphant roar, but no sound was made. Still, he felt the itch of fear in the others, for they had perceived it nonetheless. He was unsure why, but it felt like this was an experience he had once before.

Snapping out of admiring this new form, he roared once more, ribbon-like tentacles of black velvet shooting out of his back and forearms. "I believe you mentioned a 'clearing-out'? I think it's about time...", he thought upon the others.

The virus branded him with a mark he was inclined to call 'The Torn Weave'. His demon form, 'Celus', is mirrored in his trenchcoat. The figure stands just over 2 meters tall. On first inspection, it seems to wear a long black coat, its hood drawn down to chin level, leaving a grin-like opening. The 'sleeves' flawlessly link to what would be gloves over the figure's sharp fingers. The ankle-long coat opens up on the front at hip level, revealing digitigrade legs with a dark grey coloration. Trying to see under the coat would reveal a writhing mass of black, sharp and ribbon-like tentacles filling it above waist, occasionally emerging from the bottom of the coat, and slits along the back and forearms.