PDA

View Full Version : Is the Giant just messing with us now?

Sage in the Playground
2007-04-27, 07:01 PM
Is he reading the forum and messing with us?

I mean, what with the "Arrow in the Air" thread, and the arrow missing all the possible targets, then thudding into the ground. Then people guessed the degrees of the reactions of the Order, with Durkon being the most effected and Haley being least, but the opposite being true. And after the 445 coming shortly after the "Ode to Roy" thread, I just wonder if he's messing with us;

jindra34
2007-04-27, 07:03 PM
Sage: Who cares! this is high quality entertainment. FOR FREE. If he is messing with us he has every right to and we should not complain.

Sage in the Playground
2007-04-27, 07:09 PM
Sage: Who cares! this is high quality entertainment. FOR FREE. If he is messing with us he has every right to and we should not complain.

Not complaining, just curious. I mean, they ARE logical continuations of the plot. Its just that if he ISN'T messing with us, he beats Shakespeare, hands down.

Geilan
2007-04-27, 07:14 PM
You see, after a point, the line becomes clear and we are able to somewhat predict what will happen. We're guessing more and more accurately as the Giant shows us each of the characters. It's not that he's reading this, it's that we're beginning to understand what's going to happen -sagenod-

Sage in the Playground
2007-04-27, 07:18 PM
You see, after a point, the line becomes clear and we are able to somewhat predict what will happen. We're guessing more and more accurately as the Giant shows us each of the characters. It's not that he's reading this, it's that we're beginning to understand what's going to happen -sagenod-

But most of our guesses are wrong. 443, remember? The was no way Roy could die, right?

Duffren
2007-04-27, 07:19 PM
I sure hope the consensus is that Roy will be zombified then...

silvadel
2007-04-27, 07:46 PM
Not zombie -- I want better lines out of undead roy than "Braiiins!" Death Knight Roy would be the big one.

Could always have a TPK and have them all become an undead gang under Redcloak for a few decades.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-27, 07:50 PM
I said, the Giant has psyonics levels :smallwink:
Well, to tell the truth, it was not unexpected that Elan would do some "bardic" homage for Roy. The impressive part is that he managed to don't botch it at the end.

Sage in the Playground
2007-04-27, 07:52 PM
I said, the Giant has psyonics levels :smallwink:
Well, to tell the truth, it was not unexpected that Elan would do some "bardic" homage for Roy. The impressive part is that he managed to don't botch it at the end.

Perhaps I am paraniod...

That would explain why I think my phone has been tapped by the government...

jindra34
2007-04-27, 07:53 PM
That would explain why I think my phone has been tapped by the government...

There is a 87% Government has your phone tapped depending on where you live...

Querzis
2007-04-27, 08:14 PM
But most of our guesses are wrong. 443, remember? The was no way Roy could die, right?

Some people though he would die. Its just that there is so much people and thread on the forum now that we can really all be wrong. Everytimes something happens in the comic, someone guessed it somehow.

Sage in the Playground
2007-04-27, 08:16 PM
Some people though he would die. Its just that there is so much people and thread on the forum now that we can really all be wrong. Everytimes something happens in the comic, someone guessed it somehow.

Just like how if enough arrows are shot at enough people one is bound to hit a Bible in his pocket and save his life?

jindra34
2007-04-27, 08:20 PM
Just like how if enough arrows are shot at enough people one is bound to hit a Bible in his pocket and save his life?

Yep even if none of them have a bible...

Sage in the Playground
2007-04-27, 08:24 PM
Yep even if none of them have a bible...

I take you've never heard the old folk story?

jindra34
2007-04-27, 08:25 PM
I take you've never heard the old folk story?

Never heard it.

Sage in the Playground
2007-04-27, 08:28 PM
Never heard it.

In the American Civil War, a soldier supposedly had a Bible in his breast pocket, and when he was shot, the bullet penetrated alll the way to the last page, and the Bible saved his life.

spectheintro
2007-04-27, 10:49 PM
In the American Civil War, a soldier supposedly had a Bible in his breast pocket, and when he was shot, the bullet penetrated alll the way to the last page, and the Bible saved his life.

As good a reason as any, to believe.

Vox
2007-04-27, 11:11 PM
Yes.....except they tell the same tale of Teddy Roosevelt, only his life was saved by his notes for his speech stopping the bullet (not a Bible)

Must have been some pretty intimidating prose, eh?

Snipers_Promise
2007-04-27, 11:28 PM
He probily looks at it just to mess with us sometimes. He's already demenstrated how sadistic he can be.

Jawajoey
2007-04-28, 12:06 AM
As good a reason as any, to believe.

Hahaha. Indeed. (That is to say, not very good at all)

Giant isn't messing with us. He knows what's going on too far in advance, there's too much going on for him to be messing with anything just for whatever gain there is.

Haley reacted just about the same as people predicted, I think. There was nothing surprising there. Elan reacted exactly the same as people would think. And Durkon was different, but ultimately unsurprising.

It's all just moving along, and people are talking about things and predicting things. The Giant is a good storyteller and is covering everything that people think of, but I don't think he'd be bothered to be the least bit influenced by what people are saying.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-28, 12:10 AM
if you will remember he will change things if people guess it....so no he isnt messing with us, he is just being spiteful...stop trying to second guess him

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-28, 07:33 AM
Not zombie -- I want better lines out of undead roy than "Braiiins!" Death Knight Roy would be the big one.

Could always have a TPK and have them all become an undead gang under Redcloak for a few decades.

In no particular order;

be evil death must a death you be to prior knight to

Spiky
2007-04-28, 07:46 AM

You contradicted yourself there, bub. Is the forum usually right or usually wrong?

Fact is, there were only really 2 directions to go. Roy dies. Roy doesn't die. Pretty easy to have both of those prophesied here on the forum and half of them be correct. Doesn't mean G is reading any of it.

Abacab
2007-04-28, 07:52 AM
There are so many people on these forums, with so many different ideas and predictions. Whatever the Giant does next, somebody has probably predicted it. There are only so many logical paths you take in a story at some points. Also, there's one Giant and several hundred people that like to predict the next move in the OOTS comic. Even if most of them are wrong, somebody's bound to get it right.

Aotrs Commander
2007-04-28, 07:57 AM
It occurred to me that he could well be messing with us...in advance. He is a DM after all. I know when I'm quest-writing, I sometimes go through and think, "now, what will they expect to happen? Okay...now how can I tweak that into some really unexpected evil thingy whatsit."

It may be that the Giant, after years of dealing with metagaming players, has just got very good at guessing what people will expect and then turning it their heads. As he comes up with the plot, he might just be sitting their and thinking, "now, what are the OotS readers likely to expect to happen...okay, I'll do something totally different."

(Heck, that's what Joss Wheadon does, and that's why I like most of his stuff.)

Although, if that's true, the Giant is a grand master plotter. Though I can believe that.

Maybe we ought to start being more creative with guessing what will happen!

GrayMatter
2007-04-28, 09:36 AM
The next opportunity for the Giant to mess with us!

Guess who's waiting for Roy in the afterlife, and what they'll have to talk about?

Sage in the Playground
2007-04-28, 09:40 AM
The next opportunity for the Giant to mess with us!

Guess who's waiting for Roy in the afterlife, and what they'll have to talk about?

His Mom and his shaved head!

She thinks it makes him look like a thug.

Sandrock
2007-04-28, 10:05 AM
Depending on what will happen in the next comic, now guessing that is a good shot. If someone watched comic I think...442 before the long length of Roy falling down, and guessed that was next then good. But guessing would Roy die or not is a 50% chance. guessing if he would be zombied is also about a 50% chance. [He is, hes not,] Being brought back to life is...hmmm well i say 33% and bring up this question.

Is any part of the body need to be around in order to bring the person back to life? Or can they just sit in a corn field place a scare crow in the middle and roy comes back dressed like it? :-p

But ya...its a chance. Messing with us? Thats what any writer of storys or comic dose best ^_^.

Glome
2007-04-28, 10:24 AM
Of course the Giant can't win either way. If he does something that someone predicted on the forum, then he's obviously reading the posts and grabbing ideas from there. If he goes a different way then what was predicted, then he's just messing with us.

Except we know that the Giant avoids reading spoilers and doesn't want to follow any predictable route, nor does he want to have to rethink a storyline just because someone out guessed him. So the reality has to be that he just avoids reading as many predictions as possible, and if something is so obvious that reading it is unavoidable and the Giant was planning on making such a predictable turn of events, then maybe he'll change it. Otherwise he has a good idea of where the story is going and has more knowledge of the characters and background to draw upon then we do, and we probably have alot less influence on what happens to the story then people here seem to think.

Iberiel
2007-04-28, 10:50 AM

The author Kurt Vonnegut describes a WWII era military Bible in his masterful novel Slaughterhouse 5. The Bible is bound in steel, with both covers half a centimetre thick. It is also small enough to fit in a GI's breast pocket - preferably the left one, of course!

I don't know if Vonnegut made that completely up by himself, but it's a good story anyway.

And yes, I too have noticed that several nuances of the plot could be interpreted as being slightly influenced by these forum discussions. From my point of view, this kind of interaction, imagined or real, only adds to the power of the comic.

Cryo
2007-04-28, 11:41 AM
Is he reading the forum and messing with us?

I mean, what with the "Arrow in the Air" thread, and the arrow missing all the possible targets, then thudding into the ground. Then people guessed the degrees of the reactions of the Order, with Durkon being the most effected and Haley being least, but the opposite being true. And after the 445 coming shortly after the "Ode to Roy" thread, I just wonder if he's messing with us;
Aye, many people have been mentioning that lately :smallconfused:

In 435, that arrow was flying upward at 45 degrees (the angle that shoots the farthest) ... I'm pretty sure it was drawn this way on purpose. With 4 panels displaying the whole process of poisoning said arrow, I can't see Rich just having it poof in non-existence without a single joke...

Then, Durkon and Haley reacted unlike speculated, but very in-character nonetheless... and V, Belkar and Elan (especially) reacted just like people thought. I wouldn't go as far as saying it was the opposite of what we expected.

As for Elan singing a song for Roy's death... he's out of puns, what else was he going to do?

I think people don't give Rich enough credit on foreshadowing and creativity. When they happen to be vaguely right on what happens, many go all "He picked soandso's idea!" and when they're wrong, it's "He avoided all of our ideas on purpose!!!". The guy's been doing this for over 400 strips now (for a living too!), with great success... he surely can come up with something original without borrowing ideas, no?

---
Oh, btw, I read on the web an article about an ipod stopping a bullet... these legends evolve so fast, it's amazing :smile: