PDA

View Full Version : Roguelike games

Koga
2007-04-27, 07:58 PM
Any play rogue-like? It's friggin awesome! Angband and Nethack are The Koga's two favorites. (Especialy Angband) Angband has it's ups and downs compared to nethack. They both have problems, but Angband's are more tolerable...

Nethack:
Nearly everything you come across is cursed. Even friggin weapons!

God is an ass in nethack. Don't even bother praying.

You may get a pet, but it can be as much a burden as a help. Sure it's nice to have another set of muscles, but is it worth it when your pet starts fights and draws attention toward you?

Monsters are cheap, and will try to corner you. You can always assume one will be a giant eye to freeze you.

Gnomes and Dwarves. They're like the friggin ayrans or something. If you aint a dwarf or gnome, pray (just not in nethack) that they ignore you. Cause if you're pet stirsup trouble or you happen to look at one ****-eyed, you're in for it.

Spell percentile. Unless you're a mage, more then likely spells will have less then 100% success. And they seem to always take advantage of that less then absolute.

Angband:
Capitalism is more cruel. In nethack you could theoreticaly kill the shopkeep, or atleast use your pet to steal from him. Not so in Angband, where the shops just don't work like that.

Dungeons are randomly generated as you go in and out. Though this makes for a much better exploring venture, it's a pain in the ass having to climb up some stairs to get away from a swarm only to have to explore again to find a whole new way downstairs!

Swarms. You are very likely to come across "pits" where infinite amount of monsters just start coming out of the walls and friggin attacking. Happend to The Koga several times. Always rats.

Less magic items. It's not nesscarely worse, but magic items are fun! Especialy wands!

Doors. Sure you can slaughter monsters and cast awesome spells, but God forbid you should have to breakdown a door! In nethack this is little to nothing, but in Angband, they must make these doors out of adumantanium (Wolverine's claws) because this crap is friggin impossible to breakdown sometimes.

Spells. Though the magic system is much more balanced in angband then nethack, it's also alot more crappy. Being restricted to how many spells you can "know" and not nearly as flashy.

The original is rogue is too stale. You're automaticaly a warrior, what kindof crap is that?!

Ronsian
2007-04-27, 08:19 PM
Ever played Adom? I have to say its MUCH better then anything else. Crawl is pretty good too.

NEO|Phyte
2007-04-27, 08:21 PM
Dwarf Fortress is a good one, you generate a persistant world, complete with civilizations and history and stuff, then you can either run a fortress or run amok as an adventurer. Has a rather gruesome combat system, if you're using an axe or sword, limbs WILL be shed as you attack things.

Towns aggro on you if you take stuff from stores without paying. The results aren't pretty. (http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4885/fatality2en7.png)
A planned future feature will let you grab onto a foe's spilled guts in the grapple menu. (http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7674/gutwrencherha4.png)
Adventurers die easily. (http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2284/titandvt3.png)

And finally, one of my forts. (http://img02.yourpix.org/view/04.07/27/1177723878local_map-1-1059-6094.png)

Mr. Mud
2007-04-27, 08:28 PM
Ever played Adom? I have to say its MUCH better then anything else. Crawl is pretty good too.

Yea Adom is Really good, and dwarf fotress is kinda cool but i ahven't played it much

bluish_wolf
2007-04-28, 12:08 AM
Nethack:

Only bad things happen if you pray too much. As long as the prayer timer resets, your god won't get angry at you. Save prayers for when you are dying of food poisoning or are down to a few hit points.

Reinboom
2007-04-28, 04:48 AM
Castle of the Winds!!...!... I still love it at least...
C-Rogue (Ti-89 / Titanium) - Probably the smoothest rogue-like for a calculator, at least that I've played.
and of course, NetHack - though I keep getting annoyed and deleting my character by accident, or I switch computers too much and lose my character or I find myself in an inescapable area...

DeathQuaker
2007-04-28, 06:32 AM
Any play rogue-like? It's friggin awesome! Angband and Nethack are The Koga's two favorites. (Especialy Angband) Angband has it's ups and downs compared to nethack. They both have problems, but Angband's are more tolerable...

I'm a Nethack fan myself. The other ones are also good but I just don't have time to be addicted to all of them. I also like their very graphical but pretty similar in nature descendants, Diablo and Titan Quest, etc.

Nethack:

If you pay attention to your pet, this isn't a problem.

God doesn't like to be bothered every 5 seconds. Don't pray unless you need to, and don't pray in Gehennom--but other than that, usually the gods will answer your prayers if you are a good and pious warrior.

Also, of course, these are the gods of old. They appreciate sacrifices.

You may get a pet, but it can be as much a burden as a help. Sure it's nice to have another set of muscles, but is it worth it when your pet starts fights and draws attention toward you?

Pets are much more than fighting fodder. They pick things up. They put things down. Observe this behavior carefully. And for different reasons, encourage this behavior in shops.

Monsters are cheap, and will try to corner you. You can always assume one will be a giant eye to freeze you.

Never touch the letter e, tis true.

Gnomes and Dwarves. They're like the friggin ayrans or something. If you aint a dwarf or gnome, pray (just not in nethack) that they ignore you. Cause if you're pet stirsup trouble or you happen to look at one ****-eyed, you're in for it.

Gnomes and Dwarves are not necessarily racist, but they only tolerate those who display disciplined ethics. They'll always honor a knight, but never a rogue.

Spell percentile. Unless you're a mage, more then likely spells will have less then 100% success. And they seem to always take advantage of that less then absolute.

Spellcasters are best at casting spells, oddly enough. And like in D&D, certain stats improve this ability. Should it be surprising that a Barbarian is poor at casting spells? Likewise as in D&D, armor restricts spellcasting, but due to the more ancient belief that a certain substance blocks magical power (hint: it's the same substance which fairies fear). But a wise wizard or healer knows how to equip himself to maximize protection and power, and some even crown themselves with brilliance to improve their might. Priests have an advantage in that they are enrobed in that which improves their divine channelling.

SMEE
2007-04-28, 07:30 AM
Castle of the Winds!!...!... I still love it at least...

I second this with my heart. Castle of the Winds' awesome.

Pronounceable
2007-04-29, 11:50 AM
There's Doom the Roguelike. It's surprisingly Doomish. Here:

http://doom.chaosforge.org/

It's very easy (compared to other RLs) and rather fun.

RationalGoblin
2007-05-03, 06:40 PM
Thief. All of the Thief games.

Need I say more? If so, tell me and I will say what needs to be said.

Pokemaster
2007-05-03, 07:42 PM
Thief. All of the Thief games.

Need I say more? If so, tell me and I will say what needs to be said.

Thief is just so friggin awesome. Robbing the Cradle is just about the scariest thing I've ever seen in a video game.

Kalir
2007-05-03, 07:53 PM
A friend of a friend of mine made a game called Frozen Depths, which is like an Arctic dungeon survival version of a Roguelike. No magic, though, but special moves. Look it up, eh?