PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom Psion??

m149307
2015-06-25, 05:44 PM
Ok, so I heard there was a feat that allows me to change my casting stat for a Psion from Intelligence to Wisdom. Is this true, and if so where can I find it?

Rubik
2015-06-25, 05:47 PM
Ok, so I heard there was a feat that allows me to change my casting stat for a Psion from Intelligence to Wisdom. Is this true, and if so where can I find it?Lost Traditions feat, from Bastards & Bloodlines, pg 91. It's 3rd party, but it exists.

m149307
2015-06-25, 05:48 PM
I was thinking of a WotC feat

Rubik
2015-06-25, 05:51 PM
I was thinking of a WotC featGood luck with that.

If you want 1st party only, how about going about things the other way? If you're wanting a Wis psion because you want to sync with monk better, how about changing monk to Int, instead? Carmendine Monk and Kung Fu Genius both change monk to be Int-based to various degrees.

m149307
2015-06-25, 05:52 PM
I wasn't trying to cross class with monk, I just needed an amazing will save.

Rubik
2015-06-25, 05:54 PM
I wasn't trying to cross class with monk, I just needed an amazing will save.Keen Intellect, Oriental Adventures: Use Int mod instead of Wis on Heal, Sense Motive, Perception, and Survival skills, as well as on Will saves.

Furthermore: Wedded to History (Survivor), Dragon Magazine: Make a Will save instead of Fort or Ref; each time after the first, take cumulative -1 penalty to all Will saves for the rest of the day.

Also, novice rings of diamond mind (save replacing maneuver), ToB: Choose a type of saving throw; once per minute, immediate action to replace that saving throw with a Concentration check; do not fail on a nat 1.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-25, 05:59 PM
Just use the 3.0 Psionics rules and play a Seer.

If you're fine with being Int-based, start your build with one level of monk, and take Carmendine Monk (Champions of Valor p. 28). It switches your AC bonus and Stunning Fist DC to be Int-based. Also lets you spend one hour in study to get +2 effective monk level for unarmed damage, AC bonus, or unarmored speed bonus (note: that's an or. You can't get the bonus to all three at once). Spend your first-level monk bonus feat on Monastic Training (Psion). Jump straight into Psion after monk 1, then take Tashalatora at level 3.

ETA: Rereading the thread, you just want an amazing Will save. How high do you need the modifier to be? Psions have a good Will to begin with.

Rebel7284
2015-06-25, 07:58 PM
Ardent + Customized mantles pretty much == psion. Dominant Ideal for kicks.

Edit:

Source here: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a for both substitute power and dominant ideal.

Rubik
2015-06-25, 08:14 PM
Ardent + Customized mantles pretty much == psion. Dominant Ideal for kicks.Except without anywhere near the number of powers known, the variety of powers, or the bonus feats (which are necessary, as psionics is a pretty feat-intensive system).

Ardents are okay if you abuse their ACFs and the ability to learn powers based on your manifester level, but they're a piss-poor substitute, otherwise.

Rebel7284
2015-06-25, 08:26 PM
Except without anywhere near the number of powers known, the variety of powers, or the bonus feats (which are necessary, as psionics is a pretty feat-intensive system).

Ardents are okay if you abuse their ACFs and the ability to learn powers based on your manifester level, but they're a piss-poor substitute, otherwise.

Eh? They may be slightly weaker before Dominant Ideal, but that ACF alone, I feel, puts them on par. Also, it's not too difficult to get access to more powers between items/psychic reformation/feat leach+expanded knowledge/eventually just becoming a non-issue with Psychic Chirurgery. Yes, it take a bit more optimization, but it's one way to make wisdom based manifester that can do everything a psion can.

Psyren
2015-06-26, 12:06 AM
Rubik's loathing of the Ardent is almost as well-documented as grarrrg's is for the Rage Prophet. I advise you don't waste your time :smalltongue:

And yes, Ardents are more than fine (even without ACFs) if you have even a modicum of op-fu.

dextercorvia
2015-06-26, 12:46 AM
How about the Keen Intellect feat from Dragon #318. It switches your Will Save (and some Wis based skills) over to Int, instead.

Komatik
2015-06-26, 06:12 AM
This made me check the Psychic Warrior. WTF does a Wisdom-based "magical" class have a weak Will progression? Sense, there is none.

Clearly, the Clerics' Union objected because they feared for their gish jobs.

ben-zayb
2015-06-26, 06:19 AM
This made me check the Psychic Warrior. WTF does a Wisdom-based "magical" class have a weak Will progression? Sense, there is none.

Clearly, the Clerics' Union objected because they feared for their gish jobs.

Belkar Bitterleaf says hi.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-26, 06:24 AM
[QUOTE=Komatik;19454294]This made me check the Psychic Warrior. WTF does a Wisdom-based "magical" class have a weak Will progression? Sense, there is none./QUOTE]

Hilariously the full BaB psionic PrC Slayer only get a good will.