PDA

View Full Version : I Need Class Advice for these stat rolls.

Senatorious
2015-06-25, 10:49 PM
If you guys could suggest some classes for me I'd appreciate it. We're using rolled stats and each roll is specific to the one it was rolled for so I can't switch them around.

Strength: 9
Dexterity: 12
Constitution: 11
Intelligence: 17
Wisdom: 15
Charisma: 17

Just not sure what to do with high scores in all of the casting stats. Thanks a lot in advance!

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-25, 10:54 PM
I recommend a Favored Soul. They're a (primarily) Cha-based caster with a chassis good enough to survive that 11 Constitution, and you can wear armor to make up for the low Dexterity. You don't have the Strength to enter combat, so a focus on summons and ally buffs would probably be best. You'll want to consider putting your 4th-level increase into Con and maybe even picking up Improved Toughness so you don't die to a stray crit.

Brova
2015-06-25, 11:17 PM
Those casting stats are pretty nuts. Wizard or Beguiler seems like a solid bet, Gnome heading into Shadowcraft Mage. Penalty to a stat you don't care about, bonus to Con, and a crazy good PrC. Beguiler is especially nice because you have the Cha for social synergy and Wis for arcane disciple. Some options for various levels of optimization:

Low Op: Just be a Beguiler. Cast sleep and color spray at 1st level, take arcane disciple til your favorite god runs out of domains, and dominate non-combat with all the skills. You could also be a Wizard, which involves casting less spells with more variety and not getting skills.

Mid Op: Be a Wizard, take some levels of Shadowcraft Mage, take signature spell so you can prepare all the utility spells you want and sub them to evocation or conjuration spells on the fly. Alternatively, be a Beguiler and take Rainbow Servant.

High Op (Beguiler): Beguiler 5/Mindbender 1/Rainbow Servant 10/Sacred Exorcist 1/Shadowcraft Mage 3. Cast spells which rock, shuffle your domains around for insane spell access (and some nice utility) via substitute domain. Also, spontaneous Cleric casting and DMM. And shadow illusion.

High Op (Wizard): Wizard 5/Incantatrix 4/Shadowcraft Mage 5/Fullcasting 6. You are a slightly worse caster, because instead of casting spontaneously from "nearly every spell that exists" you prepare spells from "nearly every spell that exists". You redeem yourself in two ways. First, persist comes online slightly sooner (and helps allied casters) thanks to Incantatrix. Second, you took improved familiar for a mirror mephit and it's 1/day simulacrum. The abuses of this are endless, from extra utility spells (go go gadget rope trick!) to simulacrum chaining (at 14th level, your simulacrum comes with its own mirror mephit). Note that you can opt to take either Wizard 5/Icantatrix 2/Shadowcraft Mage 3 or Wizard 5/Icantatrix 4/Shadowcraft Mage 1 for your first ten levels. It's not very relevant, but it determines whether your simulacra which you personally create have shadow illusion or Incantatrix powers.

A_S
2015-06-25, 11:20 PM
Those stats would also make a mean Factotum (with optional transition into Chameleon).

Rebel7284
2015-06-25, 11:27 PM
Archivist would do so well with those scores and is a great class for exploring esoteric spells and solving problems and knowing everything!

You mentioned that you can't change the scores, but can you age? Starting at middle age would even out those 5 odd scores.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-25, 11:28 PM
Another option is spirit shaman. Fewer defensive spells, but druid spells include a lot of offensive spells that you can use to trap/damage enemies, so you can do other fun stuff instead of Summon Monster a lot. You also get to swap out your spells known every day so you have more flexibility.

Raezeman
2015-06-26, 07:36 AM
Which version are you playing?

if 3.5, i suggest the ultimate magus. You have both the INT and CHA for nice prepared and spontaneous casting. You can still chose between sorcerer and warmage for the spontaneous.

Are there still racial attributes to be put in there?

nedz
2015-06-26, 08:56 AM
Some hint as to the kind of character you want to play might be useful. The playground can build anything which can be built, but we need some direction.

bean illus
2015-06-26, 12:18 PM
Wow, if you're up for a casting character, Ultimate Magus fits the bill very well for those stats.

Sorc1/Wiz2/MT2/UM10/xx5 May be possible with your DM. Augmented Casting (Su): Starting at 3rd level, is like an arcane version of DMM, but you sacrifice spell slots instead of turning.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-26, 01:00 PM
Wow, if you're up for a casting character, Ultimate Magus fits the bill very well for those stats.

Sorc1/Wiz2/MT2/UM10/xx5 May be possible with your DM. Augmented Casting (Su): Starting at 3rd level, is like an arcane version of DMM, but you sacrifice spell slots instead of turning.

Is that MT mystic theurge? Because it only progresses arcane/divine, not arcane/arcane.

Brova
2015-06-26, 01:04 PM

Beguiler/Wizard is generally better for Ultimate Magus. Also, (Trickster) Spellthief and master spellthief.

bean illus
2015-06-26, 02:54 PM
Is that MT mystic theurge? Because it only progresses arcane/divine, not arcane/arcane.

Of course you're right. I was confusing myself with a feat for prereqs, but the class says 'advance divine''. duh, I knew that.

But something else.... favored soul?

Great stats... could go anywhere.

Xerlith
2015-06-27, 09:11 AM
You can also wade into melee with proper build choices. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus)

For instance, a Middle-Aged Factotum3/Battle Dancer1/Warblade3/Iaijutsu Master 5 wearing Slippers of Battledancing can pretty much obliterate any foe with one hit. Due to Faerie Mysteries Initiate your HP is keyed off Intelligence instead of Constitution, so yeah, you're not squishy.

Slippers of Battledancing on a Battle Dancer 1/Bard 19 make you Cha-SAD, on the other hand. Optimizing Inspire Courage + Whirling Blade is just silly.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-06-27, 09:18 AM
Snow Elf (Dex +2, Cha -2, Frostburn) with the Arctic template (Con +2, Cha -2, Dragon 306), for Str 9, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 17, Wis 15, Cha 13. Make either an Archivist (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3) or a Wizard with Arcane Disciple to gain access to some choice spells (Summoner domain to take Thaumaturgist for example).

J-H
2015-06-27, 09:30 AM
Psion->Thrallherd

Thurbane
2015-06-27, 08:06 PM
Wizard/Sorcerer/Ultimate Magus? Use Wis to pick up Arcane Disciple.

nedz
2015-06-27, 09:48 PM
Wizard/Sorcerer/Ultimate Magus? Use Wis to pick up Arcane Disciple.

Surely Wizard/Beguiler/Ultimate Magus, Wizard/War Mage/Ultimate Magus or Wizard/Dread Necromancer/Ultimate Magus are better with Arcane Disciple ?

In any event: which class does Arcane Disciple apply to ?
If both then you can only use 1 spell per spell level per day per domain.

Blackhawk748
2015-06-27, 10:10 PM
Im just gonna toss Shadowcaster out there, as those are amazing stats for one, though they are a bit strange.

Thurbane
2015-06-27, 11:56 PM
Surely Wizard/Beguiler/Ultimate Magus, Wizard/War Mage/Ultimate Magus or Wizard/Dread Necromancer/Ultimate Magus are better with Arcane Disciple ?

In any event: which class does Arcane Disciple apply to ?
If both then you can only use 1 spell per spell level per day per domain.

Well, I was really only looking for a way to use all three casting stats...

I'm not really an OP guru.

KillianHawkeye
2015-06-28, 02:56 AM
Those stats would make for a solid Bard, although I would try to up the Dexterity with racial adjustments (Elf or Halfling, for example).