PDA

View Full Version : Scrying Spells and Invisible Spell metamagic

Crake
2015-06-26, 12:17 AM
So it's always kinda annoyed me that anyone with 12+ int has a random chance to notice scrying sensors (3.5, not pathfinder where it's a perception check iirc). So I got to thinking: would the scrying sensor being a visual manifestation of the scrying spell? If so, does that mean that if you were to cast an invisible scry, the scrying sensor would only be noticable if the people nearby had see invsibility? Obviously spells like detect scrying would still locate scrying sensors, and the person with detect scrying up would know the location of the sensor, but wouldn't be able to see it until he cast see invis.

A_S
2015-06-26, 12:28 AM
The sensor is already described as being invisible in the description of the Scrying subschool (the same place the 12+ Int rule is given), so making it invisible again with Invisible Spell doesn't seem like it should make it any harder to notice. I guess the Int check is supposed to represent some kind of "sense of being watched" rather than visual perception?

You're right, though; it's a really odd rule.

Crake
2015-06-26, 12:33 AM
The sensor is already described as being invisible in the description of the Scrying subschool (the same place the 12+ Int rule is given), so making it invisible again with Invisible Spell doesn't seem like it should make it any harder to notice. I guess the Int check is supposed to represent some kind of "sense of being watched" rather than visual perception?

I've always described it as something of a disturbance in space. Sense of being watched just feels like a wisdom thing to me.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-26, 12:33 AM

It is from 3.0. Two spells there permitted you to make a Scry check to notice you are were watched (Scry was not amongst them, oddly enough). They expanded it into the entire subschool when scrying became a subschool in 3.5.

Scry is the weirdest skill; it was one of the exclusive skills, but is usable untrained.

Saintheart
2015-06-26, 03:39 AM
I've always described it as something of a disturbance in space the Force. Sense of being watched just feels like a wisdom Jedi thing to me.

FTFY. Away put your weapon; I mean you no harm!