PDA

View Full Version : SPOILER: OK, Durkon CAN bring Roy back...

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-04-27, 09:04 PM
The real question is SHOULD he?

I mean, I know (or strongly suspect... Rich is kind of tricky) Roy will eventually come back, it seems that the drama of Roy's death being negated next week would really cheapen the strip.

Now, a double story, with Roy traveling through the underworld, interacting with his dad and others on one hand, while Haley leads the OotS to chase down Xykon and Redcloak on the other? Character development all around.

WOW! For a strip I just stumbled upon, this has become my new addiction!

Ezlo
2007-04-27, 09:07 PM
My current mindset is that one of the goblin clerics will turn Roy into an undead and the story will be drawn-out a bit that way. He certainly won't be rezed next week.

The only problem is that this would negate my theory on Durkon becoming an undead and attacking his home village, because I don't think Rich would use the same plottwist twice.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-27, 09:14 PM
also...that dosnt make sense

Finwe
2007-04-27, 09:25 PM
The place where Roy fell was at least a little bit removed from the battlefield, making it unlikely that a cleric is going to randomly stumble upon his body and resurrect it.

What MIGHT happen, is Redcloak or Xykon, being high level spellcasters, could turn Roy into some type of intelligent undead, such as a devourer, or even another death knight. It would be worth it, because many intelligent undead are templates, and so a powerful warrior like Roy would make an even more powerful undead.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-27, 09:32 PM
espically since it takes 10 min to cast...

Finwe
2007-04-27, 09:35 PM
I don't follow...

jindra34
2007-04-27, 09:36 PM
I don't follow...

Ressurect takes ten minutes to cast... anyone trying to cast it in battle would die before they could complete it...

Bilgore
2007-04-27, 10:31 PM
What MIGHT happen, is Redcloak or Xykon, being high level spellcasters, could turn Roy into some type of intelligent undead

Do you think Undead Roy will hate "mindless zombie" jokes the same way he hated "stupid fighter" comments in life?

Professor Tanhauser
2007-04-28, 01:14 AM
OotS is set in the D&D universe, and there people can be brought back from the dead, so bringing roy back isn't cheap or out of line in any way.

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-28, 01:20 AM
Do you think Undead Roy will hate "mindless zombie" jokes the same way he hated "stupid fighter" comments in life?

This is full of amazing.

He should become a death knight. They don't all have to look like human skeletons, you know.

Finwe
2007-04-28, 02:23 AM
Ressurect takes ten minutes to cast... anyone trying to cast it in battle would die before they could complete it...

Yes, I know, but I don't get the point of Innis' post.

Studoku
2007-04-29, 04:51 PM
What MIGHT happen, is Redcloak or Xykon, being high level spellcasters, could turn Roy into some type of intelligent undead, such as a devourer, or even another death knight. It would be worth it, because many intelligent undead are templates, and so a powerful warrior like Roy would make an even more powerful undead.

Wouldn't an intelligent undead version of Roy side with Azure city and the order of the stick?

jindra34
2007-04-29, 04:52 PM
Wouldn't an intelligent undead version of Roy side with Azure city and the order of the stick?

Yep perfectly within the rules would be he keeps his persona...

Haruki-kun
2007-04-29, 04:56 PM
I think it'll be a while before Roy comes back. I'm pretty sure he will (eventually), but it would be wasted Drama if he came back before the end of the battle.

Maybe Roy's Ressurrection will be the next story arch.

Morty
2007-04-29, 05:00 PM
Seriously, even in D&D ressurection isn't that easy. Even if they have cash, diamonds don't grow on trees, so it won't be easy to get them, especially if city falls, which is quite likely. Second, they may have troubles getting Roy's body back, since it's preety far from the city walls.

Geilan
2007-04-29, 05:07 PM
They still have at least ONE sack of gold left.... It was a decent-sized bag too... it's gotta have 5000 gp in it at least..

Klev
2007-04-29, 05:24 PM
They still have at least ONE sack of gold left.... It was a decent-sized bag too... it's gotta have 5000 gp in it at least..

I don't think money is the problem, the problem is to find a diamond. You can't sacrifice 5000 gp you need to buy a diamond of 5000 gp. So if Azure City falls they will have to wait until they find a city big enough to sell diamonds of this price.

Rai Thunder
2007-04-29, 06:32 PM
I personally think that he shouldn't be resurrected for a couple of weeks - there's a lot of plot potential here, and as Haley said:

:haley:: "Elan, we need to win this battle if Durkon is going to have any chance of raising Roy from the dead."

Even if Durkon made a beeline for Roy, the chances are that the spell-casting time would be interrupted by a hobgoblin or someone, hence the battle would need to be over.

At any rate, I bet either Belkar or Haley will make an innuendic joke about "Roy's Resurrection".

jindra34
2007-04-29, 06:33 PM
I personally think that he shouldn't be resurrected for a couple of weeks - there's a lot of plot potential here, and as Haley said:

:haley:: "Elan, we need to win this battle if Durkon is going to have any chance of raising Roy from the dead."

Even if Durkon made a beeline for Roy, the chances are that the spell-casting time would be interrupted by a hobgoblin or someone, hence the battle would need to be over.

At any rate, I bet either Belkar or Haley will make an innuendic joke about "Roy's Resurrection".

You forgot the Roy in the land of the Dead comics... the nuggets of this "arc"...

Douglas
2007-04-29, 06:34 PM
They don't need a single diamond worth 5000 gp, they need any number of diamonds worth a total of 5000 gp. That really should not be hard to find even if Azure City is out of the picture.

Rai Thunder
2007-04-29, 06:48 PM
You forgot the Roy in the land of the Dead comics... the nuggets of this "arc"...

Oh no, of course that would happen. It's too funny not to.

Thorin
2007-04-29, 06:57 PM
a) Haley may have 5000gp in diamonds; i mean, she has not allways shared the loot whit the party
b) if roy is raised as an intelligent undead, would he retain something of his personality? (i donīt think heīll be LG, you know?)
c) if durkon is trying to resurrect Roy, donīt you think that he will be well protected from any interruption? (Hayley+Elan+Belkar+Vaarsuvius+some nameless npcs= should do the trick

jindra34
2007-04-29, 06:59 PM
a) Haley may have 500gp in diamonds; i mean, she has not allways shared the loot whit the party
b) if roy is raised as an intelligent undead, would he retain something of his personality? (i donīt think heīll be LG, you know?)
c) if durkon is trying to resurrect Roy, donīt you think that he will be well protected from any interruption? (Hayley+Elan+Belkar+Vaarsuvius+some nameless npcs= shoyuld do the trick

b) he would retain all his personality
c)belkar is the only one with enough skill and you saw what happened last time...

Vhaidara
2007-04-29, 07:03 PM
I can recall that somewhere, in just about every undead template, it says something along the lines of this:
ALIGNMENT: changes to EVIL

Also, I think that undead are enslaved automaticly to the guy that casts the spell.

The Extinguisher
2007-04-29, 07:03 PM
OotS is set in the D&D universe, and there people can be brought back from the dead, so bringing roy back isn't cheap or out of line in any way.

It is also a story, and killing off a major character and then going "ZOMG! Ressurection!" basicly right after is just bad story telling.

jindra34
2007-04-29, 07:06 PM
I can recall that somewhere, in just about every undead template, it says something along the lines of this:
ALIGNMENT: changes to EVIL

Also, I think that undead are enslaved automaticly to the guy that casts the spell.

Those i believe only aply to animate dead spell...

Vhaidara
2007-04-29, 07:12 PM
I have the book that the death knight is in and they are required to have been evil BEFORE they died, as it says:
ALIGNMENT: Same as base creature (MUST BE EVIL)

jindra34
2007-04-29, 07:15 PM
I have the book that the death knight is in and they are required to have been evil BEFORE they died, as it says:
ALIGNMENT: Same as base creature (MUST BE EVIL)

but there are many kinds of intelligent undead... the DK is just one not enough to base a general statement off of...

Dolohov
2007-04-29, 07:30 PM
The diamond's not really an issue: remember the big honking one that wasn't used to raise Shojo? It's sitting around somewhere (probably in Belkar's pockets)

Finwe
2007-04-29, 08:05 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure that that diamonds are consumed by the spell even if it fails.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-29, 08:09 PM
dont know about you but i dont carry around diamonds......

CardinalFang
2007-04-29, 08:10 PM
What happens if you have a diamond worth more than you need? Does it lose a chunk, or get smaller, or disappear?

Klev
2007-04-29, 08:39 PM
What happens if you have a diamond worth more than you need? Does it lose a chunk, or get smaller, or disappear?

Well the spell description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/raiseDead.htm) says "at least" so I am guessing it is consumed with the rest.

(hehe I would like to see the face of Haley if they used one of 6k instead)

Spiky
2007-04-29, 10:29 PM
It is also a story, and killing off a major character and then going "ZOMG! Ressurection!" basicly right after is just bad story telling.
Not necessarily. A story must also fit in its genre. This story is based on D&D. One of the more common next steps after losing your leader is to bring him back. Assuming you have the goods to do it.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-29, 10:42 PM
Not necessarily. A story must also fit in its genre. This story is based on D&D. One of the more common next steps after losing your leader is to bring him back. Assuming you have the goods to do it.
Exacly. Just look at Durkon talking about bringing Roy back, in a day or two, as long they can repel the invasion and reach his body. If it is a problem, it's a problem inherent to D&D itself.

CardinalFang
2007-04-29, 10:46 PM
Indeed. This is a D&D story, and it would actually be a BAD D&D story if it ignored resurrection options. That would be like an episode of Star Trek which pretended there was no such thing as warp drive, or Star Wars without lightsabers. It's one of the somewhat defining elements of the setting.

Fishybugs
2007-04-30, 01:02 AM
[quote=Klev;2501835]I don't think money is the problem, the problem is to find a diamond. [quote]

Finding a diamond shouldn't be too hard.....they had one when attempting to ressurect Shojo. I'm sure they could buy that one.

Vhaidara
2007-04-30, 06:25 AM
[quote=Klev;2501835]I don't think money is the problem, the problem is to find a diamond. [quote]

Finding a diamond shouldn't be too hard.....they had one when attempting to ressurect Shojo. I'm sure they could buy that one.

As has already been said, the spell says at LEAST, which means this amount OR MORE. And it's cansumed even if the spell fails.

Klev
2007-04-30, 06:26 AM

That is if Azure City doesn't fall....