PDA

View Full Version : X-eye this thread please. (X_X)

Maerok
2007-04-27, 09:18 PM
http://www.jaestudio.com/AbyssalGroupshot.jpg

The Ankubusa are power incarnate as these ancient, and generally forgotten, scourges are formed from the sheer malevolence and power of existence. Their mere presence is disruptive to existence itself and many are forced to remain on their home planes among the infinite layers of the Abyss in order to preserve what they intend to rule; their power seeps out and incites ruin among the mortal planes. Even without asserting their supernatural might, the ground itself will buckle at their step, and even the stoutest of warriors would slay themselves before considering combat with these concentrated beings of demonic power.

There are only a few Ankubusa, but every so often they will form from the pure intensity of the Blood Wars or the concentration of great evils. Slaying an Ankubusa will inevitably lead to the formation of a new Ankubusa somewhere in the Abyss as their immense power will eventually work its way back to some distant layer of the Abyss where it will coalesce into a new creature. In essence, they never truly die. The resulting demon is independent of its prior life as if through reincarnation, but still maintains its HD and number of class levels, which may be rearranged in a new manner.

Ankubusa are a terrible sight to behold, and luckily the chances are nearly impossible that someone will ever see one. But when the time comes, expect nothing but destruction. They do not like to sully themselves with anything but the most important of battles or the most troublesome of enemies.

Within their layer in the Abyss, Ankubusa are pretty much gods, capable of shifting their layer around by will alone. They will adopt a single layer or two of the Abyss and shape it to their preferences while amassing a horde of demons to carry out its agenda. Outside of their domains, this doesn't change much.

Among demon lords and other obyrith, the Ankubusa will occasionally form alliances but they prefer brutality over diplomacy any day. They are rather indifferent to the Blood War, honoring no innate allegiance to Tanar'ri other than to those that serve them, but they do despise devils who they consider to be lesser beings and can occasionally be found in battles that will prove to shift the scales.

As far as classes, Ankubusa will pursue only the most powerful of practices. They generally despise following the ways of the lesser beings but may become Clerics to their own power (usually of Destruction, Evil, Chaos, Pride, or Strength), Sorcerors, or look to a prestige class. Magics are seen as a great boon.

Each Ankubusa is a unique character, a veritable lord of the Abyss, and shouldn't be treated as a random encounter.

These behemoths are 60 feet tall, weighing in at hundreds of tons. They speak Abyssal as well as employing telepathy.

Ankubusa (Obyrith)
Gargantuan Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar)
HD 30d8+450 (585 hp)
Speed 80 ft.; fly 160 ft. (perfect)
Init +15
AC: 21; touch 13; flat-footed 14
(+7 dex, +8 natural; -4 size)
BAB/grp +21/+57
Attack +6 unholy power, fiery blast trident +44 melee (4d6+20; 17-20/x3)
Full-Attack +6 unholy power, fiery blast trident +44/+39/+34/+29 melee (4d6+20; 17-20/x3)
Space 20 ft.; Reach 20 ft.
Special Attacks Spell-like abilities; fast healing 10; hellspike; ruinous aura; tempest wings
Special Qualities Demon Traits; DR 25/cold iron and good; resistance to acid, cold, electricity, and fire 20; Blindsight 60 ft.; immunity to poison; SR 40; telepathy 200 ft.; true seeing (CL 20); regeneration 15; demon commander; plane-locked; grant wish; eternal name
Saves Fort +31 Ref +24 Will +27
Abilities Str 51, Dex 25, Con 39, Int 30, Wis 30, Cha 32
Skills Bluff +44, Climb +53, Concentration +47, Diplomacy +44, Gather Information +44, Intimidate +60*, Jump +53, Knowledge (the planes) +43, Knowledge (history) +43, Knowledge (arcana) +43, Knowledge (religion) +43, Listen +43, Ride +40, Search +43, Sense Motive +43, Spellcraft +43, Spot +43, Tumble +40.
Feats Power Attack, Improved Bullrush, Awesome Blow (10d4 feet), Improved Initiative, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Sunder, Epic Prowess, Superior Initiative, Epic Toughness, Dire Charge
Environment Abyss
Organization Squadron (One Ankubusa, 2d4 Balors, and 3d6 hezrous)
Challenge Rating 36
Treasure Double
Alignment Chaotic Evil
Advancement 31-40 HD (Gargantuan), 41-50 HD (Colossal), 51+ (Colossal+)

Any weapon or natural attack the Ankubusa uses is treated as evil, chaotic, and epic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. Against objects, its attacks ignore hardness.

Hellspike (Su): Ankubusa are capable of creating powerful tridents at will, but only one may exist for an Ankubusa at one time. These Hellspikes are treated as unholy power, fiery blast, +6 tridents; they gain a modified critical: 17-20/x3. If it leaves the Ankubusa's hand, it will dissolve into nothing or reform in the demon's hand. If thrown, it will resist any attempt to move it until the Ankubusa draws it from its landing spot or reforms it. It can be thrown for up to 80 feet.

Spell-like Abilities (Sp): At will - black blade of disaster, cloak of chaos, mass inflict critical wounds, destruction, blasphemy, word of chaos, summon monster IX (chaotic or evil only), telekinesis, unholy aura, fire storm. 3/day - plane shift (flawless, self only). Caster level 30. (DC equal to 21+spell level)

Regeneration (Ex): Divine or good damage deals damage as normal. The Ankubusa may reattach limbs instantly.

Ruinous Aura (Su): While on a plane where the Ankubusa would be extraplanar, its Ruinous Aura takes effect. All objects within 50 feet lose half their hardness and take 1d10 damage each round. Natural vegetation dies off within this zone. Any enemy within this area takes 3d6 vile damage each round and becomes nauseated. When a creature first encounters an Ankubusa and enters this hellish field, it must also attempt a DC 36 Will save, or be afflicted with ruin. While afflicted, any damage the creature suffers becomes vile damage and must succeed on a new Fortitude save or become staggered; damage that was already vile is doubled (receiving 6d6 per round while in the field, as previously mentioned). If the save succeeds, the creature cannot be affected again for 24 hours. Chaotic evil outsiders are immune. This effect lasts for one year and one day and may only removed by greater restoration, heal, limited wish, miracle, or wish.

Demon Commander (Su): An Ankubusa has infallible mental control over creatures with demon traits as long as they are within the range of its telepathy. They become extensions of the emperor's will, but the Ankubusa cannot use its abilities through the demons. Ankubusa are immune to other Ankubusas' control. Divine magic of enemies cast anywhere within the aura is subject to its spell resistance no matter what the target or effect.

Plane-locked (Su): Ankubusa cannot travel to other planes except through their plane shift spell-like ability nor can they benefit from any sort of teleportation magic. They are too powerful to fit through mortal spells of planar travel as well as extradimensional space. Very rarely do Ankubusa leave their plane; they prefer to have their prey sent directly to them. In order to guide an important battle, they will make their appearance, however. They are immune to summoning magic such as planar ally.

Tempest Wings (Ex): When the Ankubusa begins its flight from on the ground, all creatures within 40 feet and of a size smaller than the demon are pushed away as if they had been bullrushed (use one bullrush check against all the creatures).

Grant Wish (Su): Once per week, the Ankubusa may grant one wish (as per wish) to any mortal creature seeking its assistance. This favor comes at the price of being in debt to a demon emperor.

Eternal Name (Su): If true names are power, then the true name of an Ankubusa is endless. This renders them immune to true name effects as if it had been forgotten or removed permanently. Entire demonic verses and hymns are contained within the eternal names of the Ankubusa. In most cases, their names are listed for the first thirty or so letters and amended by an ellipsis. Such as "Segarimokuparikesujettharelkendentaise..."

*The Ankubusa adds its grapple modifier to its Intimidate checks. They flaunt their power with nearly unsurpassed skill.

Combat
As power incarnate, Ankubusa will resort to close combat augmented by their supernatural abilities. While every one is different in its ideologies, they will almost always follow the innate aggression and power they contain. They will Power Attack for about 10 to 20 and adjust this number if the enemy proves to be difficult to strike. Sunder, bullrush, and charge are also very high on their to do list.

Round 1: Buffing spells/abilities and troop orders.
Round 2: Close the distance with a charge and full attack, if possible. Put the enemy into the range of the Ruinous Aura. If the enemy is far away, it will throw its hellspike and immediately reform it.
Round 3: Should be reasonably close, having moved probably 160 feet with a charge. Let loose with a charge or throw the hellspike again.
Additional Rounds: Alternate between melee attacks, especially attacks of opportunity, and spells. They will fight aggressively, only to retreat when the opponent is too resilient or has an absolute advantage. Though they are aware of the rebirth, Ankubusa grow particularly attached to their power. In case of being swarmed, take off and knock them all back with wings or a bullrush.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-27, 09:20 PM
the fiendfolio has something like this...forget what its called but it fills the same position...

Maerok
2007-04-27, 09:22 PM
Really?
(urrr, forgot poll)

jindra34
2007-04-27, 09:22 PM
Holy **** That thing is SCARY
What are Demon Traits?

Maerok
2007-04-27, 09:27 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm

I've pretty much already defined them within the special qualities, so I don't know if I need to include "Demon Traits" anymore.

http://www.jaestudio.com/JAE-2004-CardGames.html <- SWEEET Artwork

Innis Cabal
2007-04-27, 09:30 PM
ya really Maerok, they are noted in giving Balor's nightmares. CR isnt as high, but they are the things that keep the Balor's in line and serve underneath the Demons lords...and by serve underneath i mean there is no demon above them. Not that you couldnt make one, and i think this would work..but the other thing have a frikin vorbral mouth on its chest

Maerok
2007-04-27, 09:42 PM
Pssh, vorpal chest... C'mon...

Found it. Fiend Folio, page 48-49.
Klurichir: Huge Outsider (Tanar'ri); 20 HD; CR 25.

Edit:
Is FF 3.5? It's got some pretty cool monsters like the Ulgustasta. I wanna get that or Tome of Magic.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-27, 09:43 PM
thats the one...and no its 3.0 but i have never had a problem mixing the two togather, a few rule canges and skill changes...eh

Icewalker
2007-04-27, 09:59 PM
Wow, very impressive, and scary. I could definitely use this...

Only real issue is apparently there already is something like this, as mentioned above, and that it contradicts small amounts of information existent primarily in the Hordes of the Abyss book. I suggest removing anything about being complete rulers (the various Demon Lords are more powerful) and about them creating demonkind, pretty sure that is mentioned in it too.
Also, as a demon, you need to choose either Tana'ri or Obyrith, the two demon types. The Obyrith were the original demons, and there are very few left, and they are generally far more powerful than most Tana'ri. About 2/3 of the demon lords are Obyrith.
Tana'ri were created by the Obyrith as minions, but they decided to overthrow them, and almost all the Obyrith were killed.
This seems A LOT more like an Obyrith, and the few of them that are left are mostly big lordy and powerful types.

Directly out of Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss

Tana'ri Traits:

Immunity to electricity and poison
Resistance to acid, cold, and fire 10
Summon varoius demons in various amounts, changes between demons
Telepathy

Obyrith Traits:

Immunity to poison and mind-affecting spells and abilities
Resistance to acid, cold, electricity, and fire 10
Fast healing, amount varies
True seeing
Telepathy
Form of Madness (Sp): "Obyriths appear in forms so noxious and horrific that those within 60 feet of an Obyrith who observe it are subject to madness." When a creature first encounters an Obyrith, it must attempt a Will save, DC 10 + 1/2 its HD + its Cha mod, or be afflicted with some permanent form of madness or insanity. The kind of malady and its duration depends on the Obyrith. If you make the save, you don't have to attempt it again for 24 hours, it affects even blind people, affront to all senses. Chaotic evil outsiders are immune. usually permanent, only removed by greater restoration, heal, limited wish, miracle, or wish.

For example, the demon lord Dagon, who is an uber/scary sea demon, forces a save or they take a -4 on will saves when the ocean is in sight. Also a -4 penalty on attack rolls against aquatic creatures, and they have to save or be paralyzed with fear.

Also, you're going to have to repost this whole thing with a poll, I'm afraid.

Zeta Kai
2007-04-28, 09:20 AM
Ooh, scawy. Nice job. My only qualm with this critter is that it's more powerful than all of the demons & devils I've seen. The BoVD has nothing this mighty, not even Asmodeus (although it is speculated that there is more to Him than meets the eye).

Also, where'd you get the name? It sounds vaguely Japanese.

And where's the image come from? Did you create it?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-28, 12:31 PM
And where's the image come from? Did you create it?

He already sourced his artwork. It probably counts as stolen anyway but sourcing is the next best thing.

http://www.jaestudio.com/JAE-2004-CardGames.html <- SWEEET Artwork

ArmorArmadillo
2007-04-28, 02:08 PM
It's more likely to give DM's nightmares...when they see how cool it is and then remember that they don't do Epic games. :)
Good job,

Maerok
2007-04-28, 06:35 PM
Well Ankubusa has always been the title for the sort of demons of absolute power in my games and stories, though I've never actually used the term until now. It's had many incarnations since then. I had planned to use it in an online 2D RPG that I made on Byond.com called Feudal (http://www.freewebs.com/feudal/story.htm) and I planned to use it in a small novelette I wrote for a school project but left them unnamed (it was a sort of snake-like guardian to an evil plane). In Feudal, I used the Daemonik which was another demon 'type' which were nearly invincible demonic warriors. I've always used a hierarchy among demons and these guys were at the top, except for the main BBEG, Calust, who was the Grand Demon. Then in the Feudal 1.5, Calust and Kronos, the legendary hero-wizard who managed to contain him atop his mesa, were fused into an apprentice wizard named Maerok who became the next BBEG. In 1.5, the Ankubusa were reworked as the power-armored guards of the new Mietha after its break-up into islands.

Thanks for all the comments, I didn't think it'd be that well received since I've never really worked too much with Epic creatures. I'll make it an Obyrith in a bit, then repost it with a poll (no problem there). And with existing demon lords and CE not too ruler-compatible, I'll think of something to change them to. I'm looking to something related to how there are infinite layers to the Abyss.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-28, 06:38 PM
Please resubmit with an attached poll.

I see you're ahead of me, there. Excellent.

Maerok
2007-04-28, 06:41 PM
I'm in your mind.

Demented
2007-04-28, 07:14 PM
Stealin' ur thoughts!

Maerok
2007-04-28, 07:54 PM
Hehe.

Alright I've made a few changes, lemme know if it's good to repost. I've already got regeneration, would that work in place of fast healing (and how much would be appropriate?) New ability and new background info. More of a loner/independent.