PDA

View Full Version : AC what hits or misses

meyerusn51
2015-06-26, 04:01 AM
First I wanna say thanks guys for the help on my previous thread, me and a group of friends are currently overseas in the Middle East and playing dnd is our way of staying out of trouble. My next question is about AC, say a PC has a 15 DC total and monster rolls a 15 for attack with no bonuses, does this attack land or is it a miss? If it lands, wouldn't his AC be 14 instead of 15?

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-26, 04:04 AM
To successfully hit you must meet or exceed the target's AC and not roll a one.
If the PC has AC 15 and the monster's total to hit is a) 15 or greater and b) not a one it hits.
If it rolls 15 and has a -1 or less to hit it misses (15-1=14<15).
It it rolls 15 and has +0 or greater to hit it hits (15+0=15=15).
Only the final number matters except for natural 1 and natural 20.

Chronos
2015-06-26, 08:35 AM
If it lands, wouldn't his AC be 14 instead of 15?
You're assuming both answers at once, here. You're assuming that a tie goes to the attacker when you say "if it hits", and then you're assuming it goes to the defender when you say "wouldn't it be 14?".

meyerusn51
2015-06-26, 08:54 AM
In trying to think of the right way to say this, basically it was brought up during our campaign by the PCs that if an attack rolls and meets the exact number for AC it hits, shouldn't it be atleast one more like a 16? Basically they believe that AC should protect you up to that number and anything above it pierces thru in other words.

Vhaidara
2015-06-26, 09:00 AM
Nope. Ties in dnd go to the person who rolled (saving thows work the same way)

I believe opposed rolls go to the defender (though I would say reroll)

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-26, 09:02 AM
In DND the dynamic number must meet or exceed the static one. I can't think of a case where it is otherwise.
CA protects you against everything beneath It.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-06-26, 09:16 AM
It's like meeting the Difficulty Class (DC) of a skill check, ability check or save. You succeed if you can hit at least that number. AC is a very specific instance of a DC.

StreamOfTheSky
2015-06-26, 07:37 PM
Nope. Ties in dnd go to the person who rolled (saving thows work the same way)

I believe opposed rolls go to the defender (though I would say reroll)

Opposed rolls that tie are won by the person with the higher bonus. If both have the same bonus, then you reroll.