PDA

View Full Version : Optimization build from weird stats (3.5)

gastondelar
2015-06-26, 04:15 AM
UPDATED INITIAL STATS

hello everyone, the question here is what would you do if you could start a human pc with :

-str 12
-dex 13
-con 10
-int 17
-wis 16
-cha 18

-AND I must then apply a +2, a +4 and a +6 bonus to any of them except for con, which I can't touch.

-MUST be chaotic

all of this at lvl 1, but it is for a high lvl campaign, which will probably involve some pvp with some lvl 20 spellcasters

honestly I've never played anything beyond level 9, so I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the options out there, and a bit scared by the fact that other (potentialy hostile) players are quite experienced. However, I'm willing to let some power go in exchange of fun / style.

Edit: additional rules: no Unearthed Arcana stuff, no True Necromancer class and no Sublime Chord class.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-26, 04:46 AM
Fullcaster definitely. Good choices include Druid (Spirit Shaman if you want more spells, but beware the DC's), Cleric, Wizard, and Sorcerer.
If you want something that would be awesome, build a Dread Necromancer. They greatly increase the HD of creatures you can control with Animate Dead. That is based off charisma, so it can get huge when you start with a 24. Also if the PvP doesn't start until 20 you have time to get the lich template with all its immunities (or PrC out at 8, when you get those bonus HD).

I am seeing:

Str: 10 is fine here
Dex: 18
Con: shoot for a 14
Int: 14 is good, but down to a 10 works.
Wis: Same as Int.
Cha: 24 baby.

Take Tomb Tainted Soul at level one and respec it when you hit level 20. In the meantime you have infinite healing for yourself (slow, but it means you start every fight at full). Remember that higher HD skeletons > piles of skeletons. Corpse Crafter is mostly redundant with your class features, but the feats that come off of it can be useful (I do like Nimble Bones, but YMMV).

nedz
2015-06-26, 05:20 AM
Whatever you want to play, however.

Do you know what sort of characters the other's are playing ?
What is their style of play ?
How experienced are they ?

The goal in a party is to cover all the bases and for no one to end up with a useless character, because that's not fun.

Telonius
2015-06-26, 06:34 AM
I'd have a hard choice between Bard and Beguiler, though I'd probably end up as a Bard. Cha 24, Int 18. (Yeah, I love skillmonkeys).

Uncle Pine
2015-06-26, 07:02 AM
I'd play a Wizard, but then again I'd always play a Wizard unless it would be funnier to play something else (i.e. an optimized Commoner).

With those stats, you can easily make any good build work. The only builds that wouldn't work would be those that suffer from MAD, but one could argue that a MAD build isn't good to begin with.

ben-zayb
2015-06-26, 07:51 AM
For something a bit unusual but still powerful, I'd go with psion. Add anarchic initiate for the extra chaos flavor, and pick from your choice of themes such as minionmancer (Thrallherd, Constructor), psigish (Slayer, Sanctified Mind, probably with Tashalatora Monk dip), or skill/utility monkey (Soul Manifester, Anima Mage). Or...just play a straight Psion 20, of whatever discipline, since it still works since Psy-Ref and Psy-Chirurgery (better with a StP Erudite) means you get access to most psionic and many magic tricks.

daremetoidareyo
2015-06-26, 08:30 AM
might i suggest this exalted build:

THE DOUBLE BEAR

Level

human

Feats

stats

Duskblade

1: sacred vow, vow of obedience (human), improved unarmed strike:flaw

str:13 con: 14 Dex 10, int 23, wis 14, cha 18

pounce barbarian

Pounce (b)

Fighter

3: Intimidating rage, cleave(b)

Fighter

power attack

duskblade

Sentinel of bharrai

destructive rage, track(b)

Sentinel of bharrai

Sentinel of bharrai

Bear:
str:27 con:13 Dex 19
int:23 wis:14 cha: 18

frenzied berzerker

extra rage

+6 str

bearwarrior

+8/+2/+4

bearwarrior

bearwarrior

extra rage, scent(b)

bearwarrior

bearwarrior

+16/+2/+8

frenzied berzerker

sunder

warshaper

warshaper

+4/+0/+4

warshaper

ruinous rage

duskblade

warshaper

Dump all of your physical stats. You need a str of 13 though. You're a standard pounce fighter with true strike until you get to sentinal of barrai. At level 3 there, you can transform into a brown bear or a polar bear, putting your strength at 27. Go Frenzy berserk for a +6 bonus. Then go bear warrior and turn into a black bear from your brown bear form for a +8 str/+2 dex/+4 con bonus. Ride that until you get another +8 str from turning into a brown bear instead. By 18th level, your strength will be 53, dex will be a crappy 15, and your con will be 31...with no equipment. Ruinous rage is there in case you want to destroy a castle BEAR HANDED or something

You can do some finegling if you don't want to go exalted, but don't come crying to me if you miss your called lightning bolts. Replace the sentinnel of bharrai levels with berzerk from deities and demigods. At level three, you can turn into a sperm whale once a day, (str 35, dex 13, con 24) and then you turn into the bear from bear warrior and then frenzy via frenzied berserker, which should put you at str 61 or so by level 18.

I also have an exalted lion and tiger (oh my!) themed character builds laying around here

Brova
2015-06-26, 08:49 AM
Options include:

Either of the builds I've put down in this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19454679&postcount=46). Finishing them to 20 is a matter of taste. Options include full Incantatrix or Dweomerkeeper progression, value PrCs (i.e. Spelldancer or Archmage), and other disgustingly powerful options.

Beguiler 5/Mindbender 1/Rainbow Servant 10/Sacred Exorcist 1/Shadowcraft Mage 3 is very good. Absurd magic diversity, good skills, and DMM: Persist.

Artificer 20 isn't my favorite build (very complicated, weak at low levels), but there is some very good power there.

Druid 20 is an oldie but a goodie. Planar Shepherd for a power up, or that wierd druid variant that gets turning.

Essentially anything with Ur-Priest + dual advancement.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-26, 09:06 AM
The point is that with those rules a full caster so going to benefit wildly. Typically they need only one Stat (maybe two) and spells can fix the rest. Give us an idea to work with and we can give you something that is strong, fun, and flavorful. Just give us an idea.

Urpriest
2015-06-26, 10:02 AM
With those stats, I'd try to figure out why the heck the DM made them that silly, and then base my character on what the DM was actually going for.

gastondelar
2015-06-26, 01:13 PM
Just talked to the DM, other rules are:

.updated the initial stats (str 12, dex 13, con 10, int 17, wis 16, cha 18, and I must then apply a +2, a +4 and a +6 bonus to any of them except for con, which I can't)
.no Unearthed Arcana stuff,
.no True Necromancer class
.no Sublime Chord class

More info:
-pvp won't start until lvl 15 or so
-it is a high power campaign, where lots of dramatism and awesome accomplishments and scenes are rewarded and expected.
-if I take cha 24 and max it, I'm pretty sure the character would be the one with highest charisma in the game (can't say the same for other stats)
-I really wanted to play some sort of mage hunting guy (something like a warblade maybe) but I feel it would be a waste of my initial stats. Maybe I'm wrong here

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-26, 01:16 PM
Why does your DM hate characters with good Constitution scores? Seriously, ask him why you aren't allowed to put any of the increases into Con. I really want to know this.

gastondelar
2015-06-26, 01:34 PM
Why does your DM hate characters with good Constitution scores? Seriously, ask him why you aren't allowed to put any of the increases into Con. I really want to know this.

He doesn't. This restriction applies only to me, and the reason is sort of plot related, since i've been recently turned into a robot-like entity or something. I got DR 10 / in exchange for it. Maybe it will scale up, idk.

Telonius
2015-06-26, 01:46 PM
He doesn't. This restriction applies only to me, and the reason is sort of plot related, since i've been recently turned into a robot-like entity or something. I got DR 10 / in exchange for it. Maybe it will scale up, idk.

Robot-like entity? That sounds like a Warforged, or some other kind of Construct. Are regular healing spells going to work on you as normal? Wizard, Sorcerer, and Artificer have some ways around that, but it could get kind of annoying otherwise.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-26, 02:09 PM
A high charisma does make for a solid Artificer, although that may be too much book keeping for your tastes. Question: by true necromancer do you mean dread necromancer or the fluffy yet terrible true necromancer PrC in Libris Mortis?

gastondelar
2015-06-26, 02:19 PM
Robot-like entity? That sounds like a Warforged, or some other kind of Construct. Are regular healing spells going to work on you as normal? Wizard, Sorcerer, and Artificer have some ways around that, but it could get kind of annoying otherwise.

I don't really know yet, but I certainly will have some way of healing.

A high charisma does make for a solid Artificer, although that may be too much book keeping for your tastes.

It does look that way, thanks for the input anyway, i'll check it out.

Question: by true necromancer do you mean dread necromancer or the fluffy yet terrible true necromancer PrC in Libris Mortis?

I meant True Necromancer. I don't really know why it is banned, I only know there's one guy playing one and it is no longer available.

Rubik
2015-06-26, 06:52 PM
Take the Faerie Mysteries Initiate feat so your hp are based on Int, and Wedded to History (Survivor) so you can make Will saves in place of Fort and Ref saves.

ben-zayb
2015-06-26, 08:42 PM
If lack of HP us an issue, psions also have boatloads of temporary HP (Vigor+SharePain+SharePower), and their more popular HP healing, Body Adjustment and Psionic Repair Damage, aren't based on positive energy. Additionally, psionics is arguably (because Infusions exist) is the subsystem that fits the best with the robot/construct concept because of its pseudoscientific theme and naming convention.

A magekiller gish theme won't be a problem if you are willing to lose ML. Egoist 8 / Ranger 2 / Slayer 10 is pretty solid BAB+16, a better/undispellable Mind Blank equivalent, Favored Enemy (Arcanist), and 9th level powers, including gish powers like (True) Metamorphosis, Fission, and Fission. Add feats like Nemesis, for hunting mages, and Metamorphic Transfer at low levels, which is a less broken Assume Supernatural Ability.