PDA

View Full Version : DM Help As a DM I think I did something awesome. And I have you to thank.

KnotKnormal
2015-06-26, 11:09 AM
Here is a link to my problem I had you guys helped me with.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?381744-As-a-DM-I-think-I-messed-up-bad-and-I-need-help-to-fix-it

It's been more then six months since I've had the issues and the campaign has finally ended. Terial has been avenged. Her daughter had been basically adopted by the players. The Party had successfully broke the seal on the Material Plane. BBEG Defeated. The afformentioned Police officer has become a regular player at our games. And the biggest surprise, even though I gave them the opportunity to bring back Terial, they all decided against it, saying that reviving her would "tarnish who the character is."

So thank you all for helping me. One of my players regaled it as the single greatest campaign he has ever played, and I only have the GITP community to thank. so thank you all... your support, advise, and even criticism is second to none. The tale of the funeral session has actually spread to a local gaming shop, and I've had countless requests to join one of my campaigns because of it. I actually hold one shots at the shop now on Wednesdays as requested by the owner.

So again... thank you so much for everything you do. You guys, gals, and gelatinous cubes are the greatest on the planet.

EDIT: Here is what i ended up doing for the session in question

Last session we ended just before the they entered the "war room." So it's a perfect start to tell the players the enemy is doing nothing. In there I'll have the head minds having an argument about what the battle plan should be, letting the PCs chime in of course, and then have another recurring NPC say something about the moral of the men and get everyone to agree to have a service for the lost. (Details of the conversation still scrambled, I may play that by ear)

The players immediately jumped on the band wagon. During the service I can re-introduce past PCs and spark a few memories of old characters the players used to have. (three story arches had involved her) I can also give Terial's daughter, who has been a background NPC so far, a bit of a spot light. (Don't worry, the only thing she shares with Terial, are the healing abilities and the power level, kind of a magical prodigy) After the service the wake was held in the inn that all the PCs, past and present, first met Terial, as it's her inn. She named it the "New Bee Inn" (I was hit many time for the name) In the inn there was a table (table number 7) the the players knew would spontaneously break as if some one were thrown through it, Terial would always mend the table only for it to break in half for no apparent reason a few hours later. I had it break in a lull in RP, there was nothing left to be said, so I broke the table. They laughed, then cried.

As the party was about to leave the "New Bee Inn" a scout arrived for Terial yelling "I found it!" the party then had to discern what this person was talking about and, which led to finding research and notes in the back room of the inn. No party has been in there until that point. In there I had it set up like a police investigation room, with details on possible locations to to find artifacts to break the seals. they were preparing to set off as a small group to the first location.

The overall feel of the session was actually that of a real funeral, one of the players even stepped up and had a few words to say on the fly. (not going to lie, brought a tear to even my eyes). The players loved the session and were actually thrilled about meeting their past characters as well as some old NPCs they haven't seen in a while. All in all the players greatly enjoyed the session, and I think i boosted their moral just a bit with finding all the research, and giving them a possible goal.

After that session. they went to the first location, only to find nothing was there except for some helpful loot. However as they were returning to resupply, they ran into a a lieutenant of the BBEG and killed the small party he was traveling with. They then took him hostage, to get information out of and to use as a bargaining chip. (they succeeded at both... damn bards.) They slowly made their way through the war torn country trying to help small pockets of resistance behind enemy lines, not always successful.

They were deep in the enemy territory when they received bad news that one of the generals of team good guys had betrayed them, and the lines were quickly falling back to the most northern city. so the party had to quickly find the final McGuffin. and then an interesting moment happened. half the part wanted to use it where they stood... the other half wanted to go back in the hopes that breaking the seal would save the people in the last city. in the end, they ended up catching boat to going to a small island nation to get a teleport back, and cracked open the magical juices and breaking the seal. the gods themselves came down to lend aid against the BBEG (who had previously proclaimed he was the only true god... MISTAKES!!!) And when the party finally caught up with the BBEG while the gods battle his armies. they destroyed him... I counted 17 Nat 20s!!! I did have Terial's soul make an appearance after the fight, as a final nod to what they have done. but that's essentially how it all wrapped up.

(sorry if the context is really weird... i was lazy and copied and pasted in a mildly sensible way.)

TheCountAlucard
2015-06-26, 11:15 AM
Glad to hear GitP could help. :smallsmile:

Seto
2015-06-26, 11:19 AM
So again... thank you so much for everything you do. You guys, gals, and gelatinous cubes are the greatest on the planet.

Yes ! Finally Oozes get some credit ! :D

Seriously, I remember reading your thread about Terial and thinking that your game must be really nice and immersive. Thanks a lot for bringing us up to date.

Segev
2015-06-26, 12:29 PM
That's rather awesome that the off-duty officer joined the game. How'd you get back in touch with him? Or was he interested after the explanation that nobody really died?

KnotKnormal
2015-06-26, 12:51 PM
That's rather awesome that the off-duty officer joined the game. How'd you get back in touch with him? Or was he interested after the explanation that nobody really died?

I ran into him at a gas station a few days later and he asked if he would be able to sit in on a session and even join. and i wasn't going to say no to a cop. :smallbiggrin:

Deaxsa
2015-06-26, 12:57 PM
That's awesome! Talk about everything working out wonderfully, I'm envious (and happy for you).

Edit: damn, you live in east pa, too far from Ohio. :/ keep being awesome!

Honest Tiefling
2015-06-26, 03:06 PM
What, not even going to tell us what you did and whose suggestions worked? Awww.

KnotKnormal
2015-06-26, 03:27 PM
What, not even going to tell us what you did and whose suggestions worked? Awww.

I did at the end of the original post. I can copy and paste it here if you wish.

Honest Tiefling
2015-06-26, 03:28 PM
I did at the end of the original post. I can copy and paste it here if you wish.

I meant more details, since I am quite curious as to exactly what happened. I mean, your players loved it, so I want to know those gritty details.

KnotKnormal
2015-06-26, 04:17 PM
I meant more details, since I am quite curious as to exactly what happened. I mean, your players loved it, so I want to know those gritty details.

there you go... better? fairly quick summery of the events that took place. unfortunately i cant recap word for word... but my players probably could.

TheOneHawk
2015-06-26, 04:37 PM
I remember reading this thread, and being impressed that you got that level of reaction from your players. While GitP surely helped guide your story, you're obviously a talented storyteller. As awesome as these people are, you were the one who pulled it off and got those reactions. Well done.

Honest Tiefling
2015-06-26, 05:44 PM
there you go... better? fairly quick summery of the events that took place. unfortunately i cant recap word for word... but my players probably could.

That's what I was curious about. Certainly seems epic, and I am glad that the PCs seemed to have enjoyed the session, despite a teensy hitch.