PDA

View Full Version : Miniatures and Mirror Image

FdL
2007-04-27, 09:45 PM
As a DM, how do you handle the times when a bad guy casts Mirror Image and creates the duplicates?

I recently had to solve this and I think it went pretty well. But I was curious to see what others do.

I used a mini for each duplicate and the caster, which were all the same. I placed them according to the rules, but didn't move them if the caster didn't move. For determining which one was the original, we rolled a dice where 1 would be that the one hit was the caster, otherwise a duplicate. The sides on the dice were equal to the number of remaining images.

Did I get it right? Was it fair? I mean, I'm a newbie DM and never thought of this before.

Dausuul
2007-04-27, 09:52 PM
As a DM, how do you handle the times when a bad guy casts Mirror Image and creates the duplicates?

I recently had to solve this and I think it went pretty well. But I was curious to see what others do.

I used a mini for each duplicate and the caster, which were all the same. I placed them according to the rules, but didn't move them if the caster didn't move. For determining which one was the original, we rolled a dice where 1 would be that the one hit was the caster, otherwise a duplicate. The sides on the dice were equal to the number of remaining images.

Did I get it right? Was it fair? I mean, I'm a newbie DM and never thought of this before.

That's entirely fair, and demonstrates the effect of the spell in a visual way.

If this is a spell you're going to be using regularly, it's probably simpler just to fudge it and leave it at one mini, and make the players roll for each attack to see what they hit; just say there are multiple images shifting in and out of each other, clearly occupying that one square. Saves time and effort. But for a one-shot deal, your way adds dramatic tension and verisimilitude.

Starsinger
2007-04-27, 10:30 PM
If you have multiple miniatures of the same type this works great, but if you don't just use different minis, but don't necessarily have the origional mini be the actual target.

Stephen_E
2007-04-27, 10:33 PM
Actually the FAQ has established that the images of a Mirror image spell are all in the same spot as the caster and that the spell moves them in such a way that even if you hit the right target once you can't pick the same target with your next blow and again face a taotally random roll for target selection.

Stephen

FdL
2007-04-28, 12:29 PM
No, it actually suggests it as an alternative. It says "it's easiest to assume".

What you say about picking targets is right. That's the way I played it according to RAW. That's why I kept changing the sides of the dice for determining a caster hit.

Thanks Dausuul for the input. I thought it was a good way to represent the spell but also it led to more authentic distraction to the players. They were aiming and planning to attack images as if they were targets. And against a Dragon Shaman's breath weapon, it was an important matter when he aimed his attack.

It was actually the first time I played an arcane caster effectively, so I was happy :) Later the sorcerer became invisible and flew to a rooftop before he tried to escape, leaving the party to fight with summoned creatures. Except for the scout that shot him down, that is.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-28, 04:49 PM
Hmm.. so if a wizard creates 3 ilusions, and 4 enemies each pic one image in the same round, even by elimination they risk missing? Or that "refreshs" every round?

FdL
2007-04-28, 04:56 PM
It refreshes with every hit, yes. It's not a "fair" game of hide and seek. :)