PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Ascension Games] Announcing Path of Iron! Kickstarter launches on July 10th, 2015!

Seginus
2015-06-26, 04:39 PM
A few short months ago, I released my first book Path of Shadows out to the Pathfinder community (which you can find on DriveThruRPG (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/144652/Path-of-Shadows), the Open Gaming Store (http://shop.d20pfsrd.com/collections/ascension-games-llc/products/path-of-shadows), Paizo.com (http://paizo.com/products/btpy9cv1/discuss?Path-of-Shadows), and the Ascension Games (http://www.ascension-games.com/shop/path-of-shadows) website). The book was a huge undertaking and quite the challenge, but at the end of the day the book has been praised across the board for its design and construction. Now, I want to continue on with the "Path" line of books, aiming to meet and exceed the expectations the community has after Path of Shadows with my newest book, Path of Iron!

Much like my last book, Path of Iron focuses on a specific area of magic, in this case, metal. Now, metal is a bit vague compared to shadows and darkness, which are already clearly defined schools and descriptors in the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. So, what exactly is metal magic? In this case, I'm focusing on spells and abilities that utilize physical objects and materials, or more specifically, objects made of metal. Spells that conjure storms of blades, powerful constructs, or turn an opponent's armor to slag are just a sampling of what's in store for Path of Iron. I'll also be including options built around combat and warfare, much like Ultimate Combat does at the moment for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. And just like with Path of Shadows, this book will cover all aspects of Pathfinder: three new base classes, dozens of spells and feats, new magic items, a brand new magic system, plus archetypes and options for plenty of existing classes all will be found within the book.

Of course, the details are what's important, right? Here's an overview of what you can expect in Path of Iron:

The archivist base class (http://www.ascension-games.com/blog/2015/7/7/rune-magic), a scholarly magician who taps into the ancient art of rune magic, a brand new form of magic casting where every spell serves to strengthen the next. Choose from one of six specializations within rune magic, such as Creation and Revelation, to further enhance your powers in a given area.
The saboteur base class (http://www.ascension-games.com/blog/2015/6/27/its-a-trap-preview-of-the-saboteur-class), a roguish-type that blends arcane spells with clever tricks and traps. The saboteur is an expert of trap making, able to create deadly devices nearly instantly while bypassing those laid by foes with ease. Fooling divinations, assasination, and reading people's minds are just a few of the tricks the saboteur can master to take on any job.
The vanguard base class (http://www.ascension-games.com/blog/2015/7/2/vanguard-preview), a martial-magic hybrid whose innate talent and eldritch power manifests through the animation and control of a powerful construct. Create resonances between your construct's magical power and your own to support your allies or hinder foes, and imbue spells into yourself and your companion to come into effect at a later time.
Dozens of new archetypes and options for existing classes (http://www.ascension-games.com/blog/2015/7/9/steel-yourself-a-look-at-archetypes-and-options-in-path-of-iron). Play archetypes like the Zen Marksman monk to flurry with a firearm, or an Arcane Marauder magus to (finally) use spell combat with a two-handed weapon. Options include new ranger combat styles like Quarterstaff, Spear, and Firearm, or choices like the new Metal spirit for shamans.
Spells for casters of all stripes (http://www.ascension-games.com/blog/2015/7/5/mind-over-metal-a-look-at-the-spells-in-path-of-iron). Shapeshift your greatsword into a halberd with the alter weapon spell, or steal magical enhancements from your opponent's armor with the siphon enhancement spell. Strike all nearby enemies with a single blade spiral or have your weapons and armor act on their own with the dancing steel spell. Included is an alternate rule for adding the "metal" descriptor to these spells and to existing Pathfinder spells like iron body, heart of the metal, and molten orb, of which archetypes, feats, and magic items within this book will support.
Feats to support a variety of play styles (http://www.ascension-games.com/blog/2015/6/30/you-gonna-learn-today-preview-of-feats-in-path-of-iron). Who needs a belt of mighty hurling when you can take the Powerful Throwing feat and use your Strength bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons? This book will also be introducing new Technique feat chains, which are like Style feats for various weapons and wielding styles. Tear your opponent's armor asunder with the Bebilth Technique, or smash your opponents with a tower shield when using the Archon Technique.
New magic equipment, weapon and armor properties, and magic items abound. Use the gatecrasher to destroy any barricade, magical or mundane, or create magic items with ease with the aid of the hammer of the forgemaster.
Rune magic (http://www.ascension-games.com/blog/2015/7/7/rune-magic), a new form of magic casting that is pioneered by the archivist base class. Each spell leaves lingering power in the form of intricate runes upon the caster, which the caster can then consume to supercharge his next spell. This isn't just an extra feature placed on top of the already-existing spells, this is an all-new list of spells built for this system, with abilities, feats, and magic items to support it.

Kickstarter and Playtest for Path of Iron

A project of this size is certainly a daunting one considering I'm the only author, but rest assured that I intend to deliver a consistent, balanced, and high-quality product, as anyone that has read through Path of Shadows can attest to. However, unlike with Path of Shadows, I can't do it alone.

A book of this size and scale needs more input and funding than just one guy, and as such I will be launching a Kickstarter two weeks from today to fund the project on July 10th, 2015. Of course, feedback and input is just as important. A public playtest of the material will be made available once the Kickstarter is complete, which will include all three base classes and the new rune magic system so the community can give their opinion on the design, strengths, and flaws of the book.

In the meantime, feel free to ask questions about the book or my previous work. Every few days leading up to the Kickstarter launch date I'll be posting teasers for each section and class within the book, going into more detail on each (along with some sweet art by lead artist Danielle Sands). Check back every once in a while leading up to the Kickstarter to find out more!

Thanks for your support and I hope you are as excited as I am for Path of Iron!

Christopher Moore,
Ascension Games, LLC

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-26, 04:56 PM
Can't wait for the playtest. Path of Shadows is one of my favorite published works for Pathfinder, and Path of Iron sounds like it's going to be pretty great too. Rune Magic in particular is a very exciting concept from what you've described here. I have so many questions about how all the things you've mentioned are going to work, but I'll have to wait until the Kickstarter finishes.

meemaas
2015-06-26, 05:02 PM
This actually looks fairly interesting. I hate all you 3PP publishers, ruining the solidity of my wallet for all this interesting content.

Doomeye56
2015-06-26, 05:12 PM
I look forward to the Magus archetype and the archivist

Seginus
2015-06-26, 09:12 PM
Can't wait for the playtest. Path of Shadows is one of my favorite published works for Pathfinder, and Path of Iron sounds like it's going to be pretty great too. Rune Magic in particular is a very exciting concept from what you've described here. I have so many questions about how all the things you've mentioned are going to work, but I'll have to wait until the Kickstarter finishes.

I mean, you don't have to wait. I can't get too specific (gotta save some of the good stuff, plus things are still in ongoing development), but I can talk about the general ideas/structure of the different parts of the book.

Eldaran
2015-06-26, 10:40 PM
Sounds like you have a lot of the work done already. Can you explain what the Kickstarter is for then, as opposed to just publishing the book normally?

Seginus
2015-06-26, 10:47 PM
Sounds like you have a lot of the work done already. Can you explain what the Kickstarter is for then, as opposed to just publishing the book normally?

The items included in the initial posts are examples of each chapter in the book. While it's true that the three base classes are nearly done, the vast majority of the feats, spells, and options have not been written. Even if chapter 1 is 90% done, the remaining chapters aren't even 5% complete.

As for the funding, writing the book myself is essentially "free" since I do the writing, editing, and layout myself, but the Kickstarter is primarily for artwork and tools fees (like Indesign). Art isn't cheap, and to keep up with the style and quality that I started with in Path of Shadows requires a good bit of funding that I can't front this time around.

Seginus
2015-06-28, 03:07 PM
Today is the first preview for Path of Iron! Check out the saboteur base class here (http://www.ascension-games.com/blog/2015/6/27/its-a-trap-preview-of-the-saboteur-class)!

Seginus
2015-06-30, 04:34 PM
Today's preview: feats! (http://www.ascension-games.com/blog/2015/6/30/you-gonna-learn-today-preview-of-feats-in-path-of-iron) Check it out to learn about the new Technique feat lines being introduced.

Vhaidara
2015-06-30, 05:38 PM
Alright, looking those over
Do Tower Shields involve facing? I've honestly never dealt with them.

Why does Asura Technique require Dodge and Mobility? It's not a strong feat (surrounded by enemies, requires not focusing fire), and it doesn't benefit at all from the required feats (since you can't attack multiple times in a turn where you use mobility).

Asura Motion is okay, but it is not what I expect at level 9, when I've taken 4 feats to met prereqs. Would have been possible in 3.5, when you had Scout.

Asura Dance is also meh feat. Again, a lot of it's benefit is lost if you aren't focusing fire, which is how you need to fight in PF.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-30, 11:23 PM
The Archon Technique chain is pretty great.

Dodge and Mobility prerequisites for Asura Technique are a bad thing. I'd remove them wholesale. I like Asura Motion because it enables flash-stepping, which hasn't been a thing in Pathfinder because they didn't port over Evasive Reflexes.

I keep trying to come up with a good response to the Saboteur, but I'm having trouble putting my thoughts on it into specific words, so I'll just go with "looks great, can't wait for the playtest."

Seginus
2015-07-01, 01:34 AM
Alright, looking those over
Do Tower Shields involve facing? I've honestly never dealt with them.

They do. As a standard action you can place a tower shield on one edge of your space to gain total cover against all attacks made through that edge. A useful trick, but becomes lackluster at mid to high levels when offense and control beat out defensive play, so the feat chain lets you do it faster and in combination with attacking.

Why does Asura Technique require Dodge and Mobility? It's not a strong feat (surrounded by enemies, requires not focusing fire), and it doesn't benefit at all from the required feats (since you can't attack multiple times in a turn where you use mobility).

Asura Motion is okay, but it is not what I expect at level 9, when I've taken 4 feats to met prereqs. Would have been possible in 3.5, when you had Scout.

Asura Dance is also meh feat. Again, a lot of it's benefit is lost if you aren't focusing fire, which is how you need to fight in PF.

The Archon Technique chain is pretty great.

Dodge and Mobility prerequisites for Asura Technique are a bad thing. I'd remove them wholesale. I like Asura Motion because it enables flash-stepping, which hasn't been a thing in Pathfinder because they didn't port over Evasive Reflexes.

The idea was that since the feat lets you move 10 feet after making attacks that the need for Mobility made sense, but I am aware it's not a popular feat. I'll look into what can be done as a prerequisite besides that and possibly move around the order of the feat chain to make it more sensible (maybe switch around Asura Motion's function with Asura Technique).

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-01, 12:59 PM
Regarding playtest format:
Will it be similar to Paizo playtests, where they toss everything that needs playtesting out at once, take feedback and answer the occasional question for a while, then close the playtest, digest the feedback, and produce a finished version of the product? Or will it be closer to the DSP playtests on this forum, where there's a lot more developer/player interaction and content is released and changed piece by piece?

Seginus
2015-07-01, 01:59 PM
Regarding playtest format:
Will it be similar to Paizo playtests, where they toss everything that needs playtesting out at once, take feedback and answer the occasional question for a while, then close the playtest, digest the feedback, and produce a finished version of the product? Or will it be closer to the DSP playtests on this forum, where there's a lot more developer/player interaction and content is released and changed piece by piece?

A bit of both. I plan on putting out all of the playtest material at once for all three base classes plus the rune magic system, but I don't plan on closing the playtest or anything. I will certainly have constant discussion with players and will update the playtest document to reflect changes made.

Seginus
2015-07-02, 02:30 PM
Time for another preview! Check out the second base class featured in Path of Iron, the vanguard (http://www.ascension-games.com/blog/2015/7/2/vanguard-preview)!

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-02, 02:49 PM
robot pet class

ROBOT PET CLASS

YES

It also has the added bonus of being like a summoner (6ths-casting, level-scaling pet, similar chassis) but not broken. It'll still be strong, but that's because the action-economy advantage presented by a pet is so powerful.

Hopefully it gets some good HD scaling, since constructs are average BAB. Is it HD = class level? It should be.

Also, I love the artwork for the iconic Vanguard. I'm glad that the art we've seen so far has been of the same quality as Path of Shadows. That book has some of the best art in an RPG supplement that I've seen.

Vhaidara
2015-07-02, 04:57 PM
Okay, so, I want to run some math on Asura Techique. And one of the first things that needs to be established is that focus fire is the name of the game in PF. We all know this. It doesn't matter how much you deal, enemies are at full power until dead, so spreading damage means they are unaffected for longer.

For my baseline, I'll be comparing to a character who took Weapon Specialization, a known bad feat. For the purposes of this test, all other things are equal

First off, investment cost: WS build has one more free feat (WF and WS vs Dodge, Mobility, and AT)
Second, opportunity cost: WS will always work as long as your GM isn't one of those who destroys/steals all your gear. AT requires you to be making a full attack, and requires multiple targets. Further, it has an opportunity cost associated with Mobility: Since you can't move in a fashion that provokes while making a full attack, you have a dead feat.

So, first attack, WS build has a 5% accuracy advantage (WF) and +2 damage, while AT hasn't added anything yet
Second attack, WS maintains the accuracy advantage, and continues it's steady damage addition. AT now adds 1d6 (avg 3.5)

So, with standard fighting, the WS build, which is more reliable, allows focus fire, and has less investment, is more accurate and deals 0.5 more damage on average. If you switch it to TWF, then AT has the potential to end up being 4.5 points ahead (+6 vs +3d6 [10.5]), but that requires 3 target,and a missed attack does a lot more to hurt the output of AT than WS (and WS is less likely to miss)

Yes, as you gain more attacks, AT gains more potential for damage. But it is completely hamstrung by the need of an equal number of targets

Seginus
2015-07-02, 05:49 PM
robot pet class

ROBOT PET CLASS

YES

It also has the added bonus of being like a summoner (6ths-casting, level-scaling pet, similar chassis) but not broken. It'll still be strong, but that's because the action-economy advantage presented by a pet is so powerful.

Hopefully it gets some good HD scaling, since constructs are average BAB. Is it HD = class level? It should be.

Constructs actually get full BAB progression for their Hit Dice, like outsiders do. It's hit dice scales the same rate as an eidolon (15 HD, +15 BAB).

Okay, so, I want to run some math on Asura Techique. And one of the first things that needs to be established is that focus fire is the name of the game in PF. We all know this. It doesn't matter how much you deal, enemies are at full power until dead, so spreading damage means they are unaffected for longer.

For my baseline, I'll be comparing to a character who took Weapon Specialization, a known bad feat. For the purposes of this test, all other things are equal

First off, investment cost: WS build has one more free feat (WF and WS vs Dodge, Mobility, and AT)
Second, opportunity cost: WS will always work as long as your GM isn't one of those who destroys/steals all your gear. AT requires you to be making a full attack, and requires multiple targets. Further, it has an opportunity cost associated with Mobility: Since you can't move in a fashion that provokes while making a full attack, you have a dead feat.

So, first attack, WS build has a 5% accuracy advantage (WF) and +2 damage, while AT hasn't added anything yet
Second attack, WS maintains the accuracy advantage, and continues it's steady damage addition. AT now adds 1d6 (avg 3.5)

So, with standard fighting, the WS build, which is more reliable, allows focus fire, and has less investment, is more accurate and deals 0.5 more damage on average. If you switch it to TWF, then AT has the potential to end up being 4.5 points ahead (+6 vs +3d6 [10.5]), but that requires 3 target,and a missed attack does a lot more to hurt the output of AT than WS (and WS is less likely to miss)

Yes, as you gain more attacks, AT gains more potential for damage. But it is completely hamstrung by the need of an equal number of targets

Well you say Mobility is a dead feat (which yeah, it is with only Asura Technique), but both Asura Motion and Asura Dance let you move 10 feet after attacking, which would provoke AoOs. That's where the Mobility comes in. However, you make a valid point about Pathfinder valuing single-target burst versus group damage. Here's a possible rework of the Asura Technique line:

Asura Technique (Technique)
Your flowing movement makes it difficult to catch you off guard, and even more difficult to escape your reach.
Prerequisite: Combat Reflexes, base attack bonus +4
Benefit: The bonus creatures receive to attack rolls when flanking you is reduced by 1, and you gain a +2 bonus to dodge AC to avoid attack of opportunity from moving through a threatened square (this bonus stacks with the bonus granted by Mobility). Whenever you successfully hit with an attack of opportunity against an opponent with a manufactured weapon, you can move up to 10 feet in any direction, so long as your movement ends in a space adjacent to that opponent. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity from the target you struck, but still provokes as normal from other creatures. Your total movement each round from this feat can’t exceed your normal speed.

Asura Motion (Technique)
You fight with a flowing dance, striking in multiple directions at once.
Prerequisite: Asura Technique, Combat Reflexes, base attack bonus +6
Benefit: Whenever you take the full-attack action with a manufactured weapon, each consecutive hit you make against a different target than the last deals an additional 1d6 damage per previous target hit. For example, if there are three different creatures that you strike, the first successful hit deals no additional damage, the second target hit takes 1d6 extra damage, and the third target hit takes 2d6 extra damage. This damage bonus cannot increase beyond 3d6 damage and is not multiplied on a critical hit. The additional damage is only added once per target on the first attack you hit them with that turn.

Asura Dance (Type)
Your slash with grace and speed, dancing around the battlefield to harry your foes.
Prerequisite: Asura Motion, Asura Technique, Combat Reflexes, base attack bonus +9
Benefit: Creatures do not gain an attack roll benefit when flanking you (though they can still gain other benefits of flanking, such as sneak attack), and you gain an additional +2 dodge bonus to AC to avoid attack of opportunity from moving through a threatened square (this bonus stacks with the bonus granted by Mobility and Asura Technique). Whenever you take the full-attack action and strike with a melee attack, you can move up to 10 feet before making your next attack. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity from the target you struck, but still provokes as normal from other creatures. You must have another attack to make in order to move in this manner, and cannot move a greater distance than your normal speed in a single turn.

Seginus
2015-07-05, 02:46 PM
Today's preview is spells (http://www.ascension-games.com/blog/2015/7/5/mind-over-metal-a-look-at-the-spells-in-path-of-iron)! Check out some of the magic you'll find within Path of Iron as well as some information on the new metal descriptor.

Seginus
2015-07-07, 02:44 PM
Preview time! Take a look at the new rune magic system and the archivist base class (http://www.ascension-games.com/blog/2015/7/7/rune-magic).

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-08, 02:01 PM
Preview time! Take a look at the new rune magic system and the archivist base class (http://www.ascension-games.com/blog/2015/7/7/rune-magic).

Oooh, that looks pretty cool. I like the idea of setting up a powerful spell by casting a few spells beforehand. The Archivist looks like a full caster that I'd actually be interested in playing, too, which is a good sign (I don't like playing full casters).

Seginus
2015-07-09, 01:55 PM
Today's the last preview! Take a look at some of the new archetypes and options (http://www.ascension-games.com/blog/2015/7/9/steel-yourself-a-look-at-archetypes-and-options-in-path-of-iron) within Path of Iron.

The Kickstarter launches tomorrow!

Seginus
2015-07-10, 02:29 PM
The Kickstarter is now live! (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2087616726/path-of-iron-pathfinder-roleplaying-game)

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54a5ffcfe4b0114202657d6d/t/55a01954e4b002e514e83c85/1436555611638/?format=750w&storage=local

A quick sampling of what you'll find within Path of Iron's 150+ pages of content:

Three new base classes: the construct-controlling vanguard, the trap master saboteur, and the rune-casting archivist.
Dozens of archetypes and options for your favorite classes. Use flurry of blows with a firearm as a Zen Marksman, utilize Spell Combat with a two-handed weapon as the Arcane Marauder magus, or tap into the mysterious souls of iron with the Metal spirit for shamans.
Several feats to support all kinds of play styles, as well as brand-new Technique feats to learn specialized methods of combat. Use the Archon Technique to master the tower shield, or the Titan Technique to wield massive weapons against your foes.
Over 80 spells for practically every magic user. Conjure innumerable weapons with the field of blades spell, animate a shield to defend you with dancing steel, and steal the power of magic items with the siphon enchantment spell.
New magic weapons, armor, wondrous items, and more. Destroy any barrier with the gatecrasher or keep your favorite equipment in good repair with the apprentice's whetstone.
Rune magic, a brand new form of magic casting where every spell grants the caster lingering power to strengthen his next spell.

Still not sure? Check here for a sample of the book featuring the vanguard base class. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8smXNWBYJUadUxRMjY0ajR3aTQ/view?usp=sharing)

The campaign will run for 30 days. With your help, we can make this massive book a reality!

Ilorin Lorati
2015-07-10, 02:30 PM
:checks Kickstarter:

:pulls out the popcorn waiting for Seginus's actual announcement:

Edit: Aww, a few seconds too late.

Seginus
2015-07-13, 07:08 PM
A few days in and we've already passed the halfway mark towards our funding goal!

In the mean time, I'm continuing with the material for the playtest (which at the rate I'm moving, may be done early). Check out some of the augmentations and resonance abilities the vanguard will have in the playtest. (http://www.ascension-games.com/blog/2015/7/13/kickstarter-update-1) Keep an eye out for more updates as the Kickstarter progresses!

Scowling Dragon
2015-07-13, 07:19 PM
There are so many robot pet classes. From the Tinkerer to the awful Golemnist, to just 3rd party archetypes for the summoner.

What makes you believe that this will be the defining class (Or at least different)? Not being mean, just curious.

Seginus
2015-07-13, 08:32 PM
There are so many robot pet classes. From the Tinkerer to the awful Golemnist, to just 3rd party archetypes for the summoner.

What makes you believe that this will be the defining class (Or at least different)? Not being mean, just curious.

Part of it is that the majority of 3rd party and homebrew classes (at least in my experience) approach construct control as engineering and robotics, using naming conventions and abilities suited more for a science fiction setting than fantasy. The vanguard keeps to the idea that these constructs aren't made through circuitry and fuel, they're made through magic.

Of course, that's just on the flavor side. Mechanically, most construct-based classes go for a minion-master role, usually controlling several robots at once while hanging in the back giving orders. The vanguard, however, fights on equal footing with his construct companion, being just as focused on combat as he is on teamwork and group support, rather than strictly "I have robots!".

Scowling Dragon
2015-07-13, 08:45 PM
Curious. Say, in terms of power level, how does the new casting style stack up against the old one?

Seginus
2015-07-13, 09:37 PM
Curious. Say, in terms of power level, how does the new casting style stack up against the old one?

Rune magic is in an odd spot, though on the whole I'd say it's weaker (which is intentional...the normal 0-9 casters are too powerful).

Individual spells tend to be more flexible than typical arcane or divine spells. Alter flow, for example, functions as both haste and slow in one spell. However, unlike the other two, it only affects one target at a time unless you overload runic charges into it; once you do, however, it becomes much more comparable in strength. At minimum you can overload a spell every other round, but doing so will only have one charge, so you won't be using a spell's full potential unless you overload four charges. On top of this, while an individual spell can be flexible when overloaded, the archivist gets a very limited number of spells known, totaling to only 25 spells in all (five of which must be from their specialization).

I'm definitely looking forward to feedback on the archivist in play the most; I find the combo-based system more enjoyable than standard arcane magic, but others may not share my opinion.

Scowling Dragon
2015-07-13, 09:51 PM
Rune magic is in an odd spot, though on the whole I'd say it's weaker (which is intentional...the normal 0-9 casters are too powerful).

By how much? Because I like using Sphere Magic (Its another 3rd party thing), for most of my casting uses. And in terms of that its weaker by merit of less massive amounts of spells available and overall less juice.

And could this fit right alongside?

Seginus
2015-07-13, 10:14 PM
By how much? Because I like using Sphere Magic (Its another 3rd party thing), for most of my casting uses. And in terms of that its weaker by merit of less massive amounts of spells available and overall less juice.

And could this fit right alongside?

I haven't used Spheres of Power personally, but I don't think its quite comparable. Rune magic still keeps many aspects of traditional spells, and many of them are modeled after existing "iconic" spells like haste, true seeing, or protection from evil. I think its more comparable to psionics than Spheres of Power in that sense, a different-yet-familiar system rather than a total change in casting mechanics.

That being said, you can definitely use the two side-by-side, just as you can with normal casting and SoP. From what I've seen of Spheres of Power, it should be pretty even strength-wise, though the SoP users will have more consistent output while the rune caster will be more burst-oriented due to the way the rune system works.

khadgar567
2015-07-14, 02:50 AM
small question is there any chance vanguard can get Synthesist looking arch type who wears the big guy as armor

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-14, 02:58 AM
To be honest, I want there to not be a synthesist-style construct armor class. Synthesist causes enough headaches and balance issues (overpowered early, underpowered later on) to show that taking a pet class and having the owner wear the pet as a suit doesn't work well.

Sure, power armor is a fun little character concept, but it's the sort of thing that's best as its own class (a refluffed Aegis (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis), maybe?).

khadgar567
2015-07-14, 03:04 AM
To be honest, I want there to not be a synthesist-style construct armor class. Synthesist causes enough headaches and balance issues (overpowered early, underpowered later on) to show that taking a pet class and having the owner wear the pet as a suit doesn't work well.

Sure, power armor is a fun little character concept, but it's the sort of thing that's best as its own class (a refluffed Aegis (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis), maybe?).

synthesist is the only class came to my mind but any thing let us play iron man or doctor doom is fair game for me
and a sub question can we mount warforged shoulder bow to vanguards pet ala predators plasma caster

Seginus
2015-07-14, 03:26 AM
small question is there any chance vanguard can get Synthesist looking arch type who wears the big guy as armor

I don't plan on it. Synthesist is already a very controversial archetype, and adding the fact that it's a construct (with so many immunities) would not sit well with most players, me included. As Extra Anchovies said, if you're looking a more balanced version of that play style I'd suggest the Aegis class.

synthesist is the only class came to my mind but any thing let us play iron man or doctor doom is fair game for me
and a sub question can we mount warforged shoulder bow to vanguards pet ala predators plasma caster

I don't see why not, but as there are no warforged in Pathfinder there won't be any explicit rule in the book allowing it.

Vhaidara
2015-07-14, 08:31 AM
Well, I backed you guys, though the reward tiers made me sad. I kind of wanted the softcover, but the psf is vital for usability (I don't meet irl with players so I can't share a physical book). Needing to jump up $25 to get both (two tiers + shipping) would have strained my pocket just a bit too much.

Seginus
2015-07-17, 01:02 PM
The Kickstarter is still moving forward! In the mean time, the saboteur has seen some changes in its design, which you can read about here (http://www.ascension-games.com/blog/2015/7/17/path-of-iron-update-saboteur-changes). At the current pace, the play test should be out ahead of schedule, so stay tuned for more updates to the new classes!

Seginus
2015-07-24, 07:00 PM
Closing out the second week of the Kickstarter and we're nearing the $2000 mark!

I'm still working on play test material, including the archivist. Check here for some more information about what to expect out the archivist (http://www.ascension-games.com/blog/2015/7/24/path-of-iron-update-archivist-progress), as well as two of its specializations: creation and invocation.

Scowling Dragon
2015-07-24, 07:27 PM
Well your classiness and sassiness convinced me. 15 bucks are yours to use.

Seginus
2015-08-07, 03:51 PM
Less than 48 hours remain on the Path of Iron Kickstarter campaign (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2087616726/path-of-iron-pathfinder-roleplaying-game)! Let's see if we can't hit some of our stretch goals; the more funding, the more content and art we can put in!

Also, be sure to check out the Path of Iron playtest document (http://paizo.com/products/btpy9frm/discuss?Path-of-Iron-Playtest#tabs), so you can see what's in store for the final product. It covers all three of the new base classes (archivist, saboteur, and vanguard) as well as the new runic magic system.

We're almost there!

Seginus
2015-08-09, 02:47 PM
The Path of Iron Kickstarter has come to a close, raising over $3,000 from almost 100 backers! Thank you, all of you, for your generosity; you made this project a reality!

This is just the beginning, though. There's a lot of work to be done to bring you Path of Iron. Keep an eye out on the Ascension Games (http://www.ascension-games.com/) website or on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ascension-Games/1579808005639251) or Google+ (https://plus.google.com/u/0/+Ascensiongamesllc/posts) for updates on the project's progression, as well as previews of features and artwork to be found in Path of Iron.