PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Alchemist Advice

AmbientRaven
2015-06-27, 03:39 AM
Hi Folks,

I'm a new pathfinder player, joining a game soon. I was originally going to play an Oracle, but a new player joined the soon to be group and is really set on being a Oracle. I'm flexible as a player, so I thought I would make an alchemist.

The group so far has a Druid (a form that loses animal form to gain traps and archery), A Rogue (built for party face, not combat), a bard or alchemist (built around skills) and a Synthist Summoner.

The Alchemist will be built around mutagen use. I plan to go Beastmorph & Vivisectionist combination (is Vivisectionist worth the loss of bombs?)
My GM has made a house rule on multiple natural attacks.
If I have natural claws (catfolk) and get two from feral mutagen I have two options. Either I can increase the attack of the claws by 1 die (so 1d4 becomes 1d6). If I attack a grappled target I can use all 4 attacks.

I am torn between what race to go. I am tossing up between Ratfolk, Catfolk and Tiefling
Ratfolk gives me an extra attack via a tailblade on the tail (allowing 7)
Catfolk gives me +2str, natural attacks (non feat) and faster movement. They also have some good racial talents.
Tiefling gets me natural attacks (non feat), some natural ac and +2str (oni-spawn)

I plan to take tentacle as my level 2 mutagen (extra attack + grapple) then beast morph at 4th.

thank you for any feedback

Amphetryon
2015-06-27, 05:35 AM
From a purely mechanical perspective, it's really tough to beat Tiefling for Alchemists. You can get the Maw or Claw ART for claw attacks to compliment your Mr. Hyde theme, a prehensile tail that lets you draw items for use, and they have nearly perfect bonuses/penalties.

Rolero
2015-06-27, 05:37 AM
I suggest you check this great guide by N.Jolly: Chasing the Philosopher's Stone (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hChbcEsEfQsR7NkwKlzO-GLYtrOtxlkGHpRQgKKZ5gc/edit)

He gives a ton of exposition about how to create an effective Mister Hyde, the infamous Beastmorph-Vivisectionist Alchemist combo. And yes, well built and played, Hyde is one of the best melee monsters of the game.

grarrrg
2015-06-27, 12:30 PM
The Alchemist will be built around mutagen use. I plan to go Beastmorph & Vivisectionist combination (is Vivisectionist worth the loss of bombs?)

Vivisectionist can be very much worth it for a front-line natural attacker. All those sweet, sweet d6's *drools*.

I am torn between what race to go. I am tossing up between Ratfolk, Catfolk and Tiefling

Are less popular races on the table?
Ragebred Skinwalker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/standard-races-1-10-rp/skinwalkers-10-rp#TOC-Wereboar-Kin-Ragebred-) can get you a Gore and 2 Hoof attacks. (you default get 1 of the options, must take a feat to get the other)

Ratfolk gives me an extra attack via a tailblade on the tail (allowing 7)[/QUOTE]

7? Care to give a breakdown on this?
Clawsx2 + Bite + Tailblade = 4, what are the other 3?

I plan to take tentacle as my level 2 mutagen (extra attack + grapple) then beast morph at 4th.

Tentacle (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fz#v5748eaic9rc5) does not do what you think it does. It is for most intents and purposes NOT a Natural Attack, and MUST replace one of your existing attacks. It is not worth it.
Unless you can sweet talk your DM into sense and just have it work as a normal Secondary attack all the time.

AmbientRaven
2015-06-27, 07:15 PM
Are less popular races on the table?
Ragebred Skinwalker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/standard-races-1-10-rp/skinwalkers-10-rp#TOC-Wereboar-Kin-Ragebred-) can get you a Gore and 2 Hoof attacks. (you default get 1 of the options, must take a feat to get the other)

Ratfolk gives me an extra attack via a tailblade on the tail (allowing 7)

7? Care to give a breakdown on this?
Clawsx2 + Bite + Tailblade = 4, what are the other 3?

Tentacle (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fz#v5748eaic9rc5) does not do what you think it does. It is for most intents and purposes NOT a Natural Attack, and MUST replace one of your existing attacks. It is not worth it.
Unless you can sweet talk your DM into sense and just have it work as a normal Secondary attack all the time.

GM has ruled it will give an extra attack. Then the 7 comes from the hose rule extrapolation I explained in post one to do with multiple claw attacks
"If I have natural claws (catfolk) and get two from feral mutagen I have two options. Either I can increase the attack of the claws by 1 die (so 1d4 becomes 1d6). If I attack a grappled/prone target I can use all 4 claw attacks."

Tailblade+4 claws+tentacle+bite = 7 (this is as the GM has told me)

I looked at ragebred by the GM has ruled no expanded/alternate races only base races. So no rage bred.

grarrrg
2015-06-27, 08:59 PM
GM has ruled it will give an extra attack. Then the 7 comes from the hose rule extrapolation I explained in post one to do with multiple claw attacks
"If I have natural claws (catfolk) and get two from feral mutagen I have two options. Either I can increase the attack of the claws by 1 die (so 1d4 becomes 1d6). If I attack a grappled/prone target I can use all 4 claw attacks."

Tailblade+4 claws+tentacle+bite = 7 (this is as the GM has told me)

Works for me.

Unless you have a Tripper in the party though, you are probably better off doing the "2 Claws = +Damage size" option.
It isn't a huge boost, but if there is no easy way to enable the Clawx4 attack, then that isn't worth much either.

AmbientRaven
2015-06-27, 09:10 PM
Works for me.

Unless you have a Tripper in the party though, you are probably better off doing the "2 Claws = +Damage size" option.
It isn't a huge boost, but if there is no easy way to enable the Clawx4 attack, then that isn't worth much either.

It can be changed on the fly. S I can + the damage die, then if tripped or grappled, I can use the attacks instead. He said it basically shows lots of rapid scratches vs one big scratch (he is a vet and knows what being clawed is like :p)