PDA

View Full Version : Alignment

Iudex Fatarum
2007-04-28, 12:34 AM
Back to the ever classic argument how do you do alignment but I am going to throw a wrench in. Do you use any systems from unearthed arcana like honor? Taint? Sanity? Reputation? how many of these do you use and what do people who have tried them think of them?

I'm considering DMing a campaign and using honor, reputation, sanity and taint, but i'm thinking maybe removing taint.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-28, 12:36 AM
i have used taint before, but things like corruption and honor seem silly to me...and i am sorry but as i have said...this thread has a fever, and the only cure is more Alignment threads!

Genome
2007-04-28, 12:49 AM
No system. Alignment is almost nonexistent in my campaigns.

Lain
2007-04-28, 01:03 AM
Are there any rulebooks specifically adressing this? I'd like to read about it, I basically read anything I get my hands on :D

Edit:
By the way genome is your avatar an attempt to draw sprite from Secret of Mana?

brian c
2007-04-28, 01:19 AM
Are there any rulebooks specifically adressing this? I'd like to read about it, I basically read anything I get my hands on :D

Edit:
By the way genome is your avatar an attempt to draw sprite from Secret of Mana?

I think all of those are in Unearthed Arcana. It's a very good book, lots of variants discussed.

Khoran
2007-04-28, 01:20 AM

If memory serves, it's Unearthed Arcana, but they have a section for it in the SRD: http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/variantCampaigns.htm

Anyways, my group has always had the standard alignment, but I might approach them with Amphimir Míriel's Expanded Alignment system (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2080662#post2080662), since it brings a little more claritiy to what falls where. I've also always wanted to put Fame into use in adition to Alignment, since the two are not mutually exclusive.

Lain
2007-04-28, 01:36 AM
Thanks, I have it just haven't read it yet :D

Raistlin1040
2007-04-28, 01:39 AM
I use honor a lot.

Dhavaer
2007-04-28, 07:54 AM
I use Reputation, but I wouldn't consider it an alignment mechanic. I also use Allegiances, although they don't have much in the way of a mechanical effect.

Iudex Fatarum
2007-04-28, 11:03 PM
I'm asking cause i'm going to start DMing again, (semester is almost over) and so I'm wondering if these are useful I like the idea but are they just too hard. I'm disapointed not many people voted, but oh well.

Khantalas
2007-04-28, 11:08 PM
I use taint and sanity. Why? Because they enhance the mood of my games. Knowing that every action may have a solid consequence on your character really pushes you.

I like Heroes of Horror more than I should.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-04-28, 11:12 PM
I'm using all four in a present campaign, and it's quite addictive if you're capable of running it. The players are actively roleplaying more now since everything they do has a direct effect on their characters. It's no longer "kill this monster, loot this dungeon, find this damsel". The players go that extra mile so that they can be rewarded with potential boons.

TheOOB
2007-04-28, 11:17 PM
Reputation and Honor i handle with roll play and not crunch, my games usually arn't gritty enough for taint, or lovecraftian for sanity.

Saph
2007-04-29, 03:50 AM
Should have had a "None of the above" option . . . I handle reputation, honour, etc. with RP consequences, and if I want to send someone insane I just use Wisdom damage or the insanity spell.

- Saph

Renegade Paladin
2007-04-29, 10:11 AM
The other DM in my group is experimenting with honor and reputation in his campaign. We rotate variant rules on a lot of things in and out as our campaigns go, and those happen to be the current ones for him.

Jewish_Joke
2007-04-29, 10:51 AM
It depends on the campaign. We use taint in OA, and Reputation in Wheel of Time, but nothing really in our standard FR campaign.

Iudex Fatarum
2007-04-29, 02:04 PM
I would have put none of the above but couldn't only allowed 5 options

Matthew
2007-04-29, 08:09 PM
Yeah, like Saph, I use Honour, Reputation and Sanity Rules, but not as written and mostly with Roleplaying consequences, rather than discretely defined mechanical effects. I also use Alignment, which I used to have a problem with, removed from the game and later brought back when I realised all the arguments about it had no effect on how the game was played.

Annarrkkii
2007-04-29, 08:23 PM
Taint and Sanity are both thematically well-adjusted for D+D. Honor... not so much. I am not in any RL games at the moment, but I've played with sanity before, and it was a blast. Taint I've never used, but I like the theme. As has been said, but deserves to be yet again restated, nothing short of permanent ability drain has as long-lasting effects as sanity loss or taint contraction, and it adds a whole other level of depth to the game when you add in such long-term factors.

Person_Man
2007-04-30, 12:25 PM
None. I just use a lot of character development. I've never seen a need to keep track of it via some system, though I'm glad they're there for people who do.