PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How is a bead of fireball's DC calculated?

kkplx
2015-06-27, 02:18 PM
See title

Spell DCs are 8+Prof+Casting Mod
Spell Scroll DCs are 10+SL
Somehow the fireball bead has a DC of 15

It's neither calculated as a scroll, nor as a spell...can someone help me here?

ThermalSlapShot
2015-06-27, 02:21 PM
See title

Spell DCs are 8+SL+Casting Mod
Spell Scroll DCs are 10+SL
Somehow the fireball bead has a DC of 15

It's neither calculated as a scroll, nor as a spell...can someone help me here?

Fireball's DC is your spell casting DC.

DC = 8 + Casting Modifier + Proficiency Bonus

This is for all Spells you cast and will go up or down based on your Casting Modifier and Proficiency Modifier.

Scrolls have a set DC I think, not sure about scrolls

Edited

You seem to be using 3r language. Did you mean to post in the 5e forums?

kkplx
2015-06-27, 02:29 PM
The bead of fireball item explicitly calls out a DC15 saving throw

I do indeed come from 3.5, but will be playing in a 5e game soon. this item's save DC confused me, as it seems arbitrary.

and yes, i got the spell saving throw DC wrong, i'll edit it - it happens to have the same result for 3rd level spells

ThermalSlapShot
2015-06-27, 02:33 PM
The bead of fireball item explicitly calls out a DC15 saving throw

I do indeed come from 3.5, but will be playing in a 5e game soon. this item's save DC confused me, as it seems arbitrary

Ooooh you are talking about the magic item lol. In the description for fireball historically mentions a bead so I thought you meant the spell...

"A glowing, pea-sized bead streaks..."

Sorry about that.

But item DCs are set by rarity I think and don't change...

It there is a lot in 5e that is on the DM's side that is arbitrarily put in place. You will find that monsters have bonuses to some things that isn't in the math anywhere and are adhoc.

Edited

In 5e if something doesn't line up just roll with it.

Chaosvii7
2015-06-27, 03:30 PM
Honestly, I think it's calculated from the average - at around the time spellcasters first pick up fireball(AFAIK it's 5th level at the earliest), they should have between an 18 and a 20 for a spellcasting stat. 3 Proficiency plus 4 arbitrary relevant modifier brings us to a DC 15. Sounds about right to me.

If you want, have it be based off of the proficiency and modifier of the person thorwing it. Makes the item less useful early on, more powerful late game.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-27, 03:34 PM
But item DCs are set by rarity I think and don't change...

Yes, they don't change. It is my belief that items' DCs are based on the abilities of the person who created it (and thus some assumptions have been made about 'average' item creators).

I'm AFB, but I believe an uncommon item (which I'm assuming is the case here) can be made by a 5th level character, who would have a proficiency bonus of +3. Certainly, you'd need to be 5th level to create a Necklace of Fireballs, because Fireball is a 3rd-level spell.

Thus, they have assumed that the creator has a casting stat of 18 or 19, which seems fair for a 'heroic' character.

In 5e if something doesn't line up just roll with it.

Indeed! As they say in Iceland (where I am currently on vaction): "Žetta reddast!"

Edit: damn you, chaosvii7!

Kryx
2015-06-27, 04:04 PM
I believe it is 8 + prof (2) + ability score (3) = 13

It matches the spell stuff.

3rd level spells require 5th level where prof (3) and ability score (4) would increase by 1, so 15.
5th level spells require 9th level where prof (4) and ability score (5) would increase by 1, so 17.
7th level spells require 13th level where prof (5) would increase by 1, so 18.
9th level spells require 17th level where prof (6) would increase by 1, so 19.

burninatortrog
2015-06-27, 08:38 PM
It's not calculated, it's just 15.

Psikerlord
2015-06-28, 01:41 AM
It's not calculated, it's just 15.

Yeah I dont think it matters where the number came from. It is default DC 15, but you can of course tweak it if you like (to reflect a more or less potent bead). Fate dice come to mind too.

ImSAMazing
2015-06-28, 12:49 PM
Fireball's DC is your spell casting DC.

DC = 8 + Casting Modifier + Proficiency Bonus

This is for all Spells you cast and will go up or down based on your Casting Modifier and Proficiency Modifier.

Scrolls have a set DC I think, not sure about scrolls

Edited

You seem to be using 3r language. Did you mean to post in the 5e forums?

What you say.