PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Magic Item prices, and adjusting for player creation, and the pathfinder no xp rule.

SecretlyaFish
2015-06-28, 12:25 AM
So, me and my dm have been speaking about using the pathfinder rule for no XP for item costs. I looked at it like this, for purpose of creating an item I wanted.

The item I wanted to make is a +1 Unholy Profane Burst Bastard Sword. +1 bonus +4 special abilities, makes this item worth 50000gp market value. I don't think a markups or discounts apply, its just the base price that is considered. So, I looked up a XP to gold value. Saw one that seemed about 5gp per xp point the item would cost to create. So, the market price doesn't change, but the cost to create does.

So I figured, creating a magic item should cost about half what the market value is, otherwise, what is the point of spending all that time crafting when you could be adventuring those days and pay for the item anyways.

So 50000gp =2000xp cost. Cost to create would go in half so 25k, +2000x5 = 10000. So 35000gp to create a 50000gp market value item, I think this seems pretty fair. What do you guys think?

Urpriest
2015-06-28, 09:49 AM
So, me and my dm have been speaking about using the pathfinder rule for no XP for item costs. I looked at it like this, for purpose of creating an item I wanted.

The item I wanted to make is a +1 Unholy Profane Burst Bastard Sword. +1 bonus +4 special abilities, makes this item worth 50000gp market value. I don't think a markups or discounts apply, its just the base price that is considered. So, I looked up a XP to gold value. Saw one that seemed about 5gp per xp point the item would cost to create. So, the market price doesn't change, but the cost to create does.

So I figured, creating a magic item should cost about half what the market value is, otherwise, what is the point of spending all that time crafting when you could be adventuring those days and pay for the item anyways.

So 50000gp =2000xp cost. Cost to create would go in half so 25k, +2000x5 = 10000. So 35000gp to create a 50000gp market value item, I think this seems pretty fair. What do you guys think?

That's not how it works. Pathfinder just charges you half, it doesn't charge you extra for what the XP cost would have been in 3.5.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-28, 10:14 AM
You will need to deal with Wish. I recommend striking the clause that lets it generate magic items altogether. If you don't I can trade 5000 exp for any magic item. Free Cowl of Warding? Yes please. Free +10 weapon? Okay!

Urpriest
2015-06-28, 10:17 AM
You will need to deal with Wish. I recommend striking the clause that lets it generate magic items altogether. If you don't I can trade 5000 exp for any magic item. Free Cowl of Warding? Yes please. Free +10 weapon? Okay!

I don't think that's relevant. The OP is talking about houseruling magic item creation, it's kind of orthogonal to whether you can create items via Wish.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-28, 10:23 AM
I don't think that's relevant. The OP is talking about houseruling magic item creation, it's kind of orthogonal to whether you can create items via Wish.

Wish references the magic item creation rules, so I figure its easier to kill two birds with one stone.

Urpriest
2015-06-28, 11:02 AM
Wish references the magic item creation rules, so I figure its easier to kill two birds with one stone.

Ah I see, I was misinterpreting.

I would assume that if the OP wanted to keep the "create items" aspect of Wish and keep Wish XP-based, they would add an XP cost equal to the cost the item would have under the normal 3.5 system. But yeah, that does bear mentioning.

SecretlyaFish
2015-06-28, 03:12 PM
Ah I see, I was misinterpreting.

I would assume that if the OP wanted to keep the "create items" aspect of Wish and keep Wish XP-based, they would add an XP cost equal to the cost the item would have under the normal 3.5 system. But yeah, that does bear mentioning.

Basically, just want magic item creation feats to be worth taking, but also not so easy as to the point where you can make anything you want at a pittance. Really, PC's have only 2 things they really care about, 2 things they adventure for. Gold and XP. Take away one from the equation and all of a sudden, magic items are easier to acquire. Just trying to house rule in, a fair extra price, to take into account the fact we won't be using the 3.5 XP system. Does taking the XP cost of a item and converting it to 5x its number in gold and adding it to the cost to create the magic item seem fair? I mean, for example with the sword I detailed, it may take some time but unless you are filthy rich and merchant has the item on hand, spending some time and paying at least 15k less gold seems preferable, right?

I don't know about the wish thing though, we are pretty far from that stage atm. I think it would ok, up to a certain gp value. After that, you would need your own materials/gold to continue creating the item.

Urpriest
2015-06-28, 05:33 PM
Basically, just want magic item creation feats to be worth taking, but also not so easy as to the point where you can make anything you want at a pittance. Really, PC's have only 2 things they really care about, 2 things they adventure for. Gold and XP. Take away one from the equation and all of a sudden, magic items are easier to acquire. Just trying to house rule in, a fair extra price, to take into account the fact we won't be using the 3.5 XP system. Does taking the XP cost of a item and converting it to 5x its number in gold and adding it to the cost to create the magic item seem fair? I mean, for example with the sword I detailed, it may take some time but unless you are filthy rich and merchant has the item on hand, spending some time and paying at least 15k less gold seems preferable, right?

I don't know about the wish thing though, we are pretty far from that stage atm. I think it would ok, up to a certain gp value. After that, you would need your own materials/gold to continue creating the item.

I mean, it's not ridiculous, but why not just use the PF rule? It's not like it's breaking anybody's game on that side of things. The main cost of magic item creation isn't gold or XP, it's time, and you're not changing that cost. Honestly, if you really wanted a houserule to get people to take crafting feats more often, making each item only take a day to craft and keeping all other costs the same would do it.

SecretlyaFish
2015-06-28, 07:30 PM
I mean, it's not ridiculous, but why not just use the PF rule? It's not like it's breaking anybody's game on that side of things. The main cost of magic item creation isn't gold or XP, it's time, and you're not changing that cost. Honestly, if you really wanted a houserule to get people to take crafting feats more often, making each item only take a day to craft and keeping all other costs the same would do it.

My dm doesn't like the idea, plus, they said they had modified the cost of all magic items in pathfinder to make up for the fact they don't cost xp anymore. Its more to placate my DM than anything else. I'm already playing a 5th level cleric vampire/werewolf hybrid with 7 HD, and my ECL is only 10. I don't want to cause him any heart-attacks by getting ungodly weapons almost immediately.

It seems that the cost of item bonus's etc have not increased. So I guess its really just to placate my DM.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-28, 07:48 PM
My dm doesn't like the idea, plus, they said they had modified the cost of all magic items in pathfinder to make up for the fact they don't cost xp anymore. Its more to placate my DM than anything else. I'm already playing a 5th level cleric vampire/werewolf hybrid with 7 HD, and my ECL is only 10. I don't want to cause him any heart-attacks by getting ungodly weapons almost immediately.

A quick trip to the Pathfinder srd says otherwise. They removed the xp costs from item creation because they removed xp costs from everything. Xp requiring spells got material costs associated with them instead, but items were unaffected.