PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Two magical items: Beret of Fast-talking / Robe of Judgement PEACH

Dr TPK
2015-06-28, 08:21 AM
Please see the prices!

Beret of Fast-talking

When this black hat is worn, the wearer is able to make full-round diplomacy checks as swifts actions. Diplomacy checks generally require one full minute per attempt, but for the wearer every one-minute check consists of 10 swift actions instead of 10 full-round actions.

Once per day, the wearer may make one rushed diplomacy check without the -10 penalty.

Minor Enchantment; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, creator must have 10 ranks in the Diplomacy skill; Price 2,000 gp.

Robe of Judgement

This padded jet-black robe allows anyone with the Still Mind extraordinary ability to have a continuous Frightful Presence (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#frightfulPresence) (DC 14, 30 ft. range). Action required to trigger the ability is any attack action performed by the wearer.

Strong necromancy; CL 11th; Craft Wondrous Item, symbol of fear; Price 10,000 gp; Weight 2 lb.

Dr TPK
2015-06-29, 01:32 PM
Pretty please...

Maglubiyet
2015-06-30, 08:43 AM
Cool items. I could accept these as they are, but since you're asking for feedback I'll make some comments.

For the beret, why make it 10 swift actions instead of one full-round action? Seems confusing. One full-round does the trick just fine.

I would lower the CL a little and make it a minor enchantment. Once a day usage for a skill that the user needs to supply doesn't warrant moderate, imo. Also the price could come down a tick to around 2k.

The robe is going to be just a monk item? Not sure where else you can get Still Mind. Why not expand it and make it for Lawful alignments only?

Also, what is the trigger for the Frightful Presence? The ability write-up says it will have a trigger in the description, which is some sort of dramatic action.

I keep flip-flopping thinking robe is overpriced or underpriced, so I suppose it's good in the middle. But Symbol of Fear is necromancy, so shouldn't it be "Strong Necromancy" or "Strong Enchantment and Necromancy"?

Anyway, nice work!

Dr TPK
2015-07-01, 02:41 AM
Great feedback, thanks Maglubiyet! A few responses:

For the beret, why make it 10 swift actions instead of one full-round action? Seems confusing. One full-round does the trick just fine.

You can only make one swift action per round. Making 10 swift action constitutes one minute. The fun part is that you can fight normally and talk sense into your opponents. If 10 rounds pass, you can roll a Diplomacy check. It will make an interesting tactical choice: Do you want to use up your daily full-round diplomacy check OR do you want to spend 1 minute? The "rushed Diplomacy check" means exactly what you are suggesting, but it's available only once per day. I love tactical choices! Don't you? :-)

I would lower the CL a little and make it a minor enchantment. Once a day usage for a skill that the user needs to supply doesn't warrant moderate, imo. Also the price could come down a tick to around 2k.

Agreed.

The robe is going to be just a monk item? Not sure where else you can get Still Mind. Why not expand it and make it for Lawful alignments only?

To be honest, I'll just answer with three words: Because monks sucks.

Also, what is the trigger for the Frightful Presence? The ability write-up says it will have a trigger in the description, which is some sort of dramatic action.

Thank you, I missed that. I will fix that right away.

Symbol of Fear is necromancy, so shouldn't it be "Strong Necromancy" or "Strong Enchantment and Necromancy"?

Thank you, I'll have to think this through.

Anyway, nice work!

Thank you! I'm happy to hear that.

Debihuman
2015-07-01, 05:40 AM
Beret of Fast Talking: Ten rounds is still too long to use this in combat. Also if you are trying to convince someone to be friendlier towards you, why are you FIGHTING him? I'd throw negative modifiers at you for that alone. Furthermore if your combat lasts more than 4 rounds, you are doing something wrong. Last of all, all 3.5 magic items use a spell as a basis. A message spell works just fine for the basis of this.

"Changing others’ attitudes with Diplomacy generally takes at least 1 full minute (10 consecutive full-round actions). In some situations, this time requirement may greatly increase. A rushed Diplomacy check can be made as a full-round action, but you take a -10 penalty on the check."

Why take a full minute when you can do this in a single full-round albeit with a penalty?

Why not just have this reduce the -10 penalty on the check? A lesser beret of fast talking reduces the penalty to -8 and would cost 400 gp; a standard beret of fast talking would reduce the penalty to -6 and cost 1,600 gp and a greater beret of fast talking would reduce the penalty to -2 and cost 6,400 gp.

Robe of Judgement

Also, this affects allies. Hmmm. Probably not the best idea. Cost is screwed up. Pricing CL x level of spell x 2000 gp. 11x6x2,000 = 132,000 gp.

Debby