PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Fortification - Crit Negate

Barbarian Horde
2015-06-28, 02:33 PM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Fortification
Fortification: This suit of armor or shield produces a magical force that protects vital areas of the wearer more effectively. When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on the wearer, there is a chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.

So I know after reading around that wotc said that heavy fortification does block vorpal weapons effect. Now what Im curious about is the text reads that it negates crits at 100%. Negate by definition is 'nullify; make ineffective." So does this remove the ability for people to crit you in general? So any extra damage that would of been done to you through a crit's normal special ability no longer happens because the crit as a whole was negated? Because it was negated translates to "It never happened." right?

Im not saying your immune to crits. What I'm saying is that with heavy fortification it cancels out crits as if it never occurred.

Someone gets the chance, and help me clarify this please.

Andezzar
2015-06-28, 02:40 PM
Yup.
When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on the wearer, there is a chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.

This would have been a good question for the Simple RAW thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?418961-Simple-RAW-Thread-for-3-5-30-Really-30).

Khedrac
2015-06-28, 02:41 PM
As far as I can remember it's a bit odd.

When wielding a weapon with bonus effects on a crit (e.g. a flaming burst longsword) against an opponent immune to crits (e.g. an undead) then one still rolls the confirmation roll to see if the burst of the flaming burst triggers.
So the +1 flaming burst sword would deal 1d8+1 (magic slashing) +1d6+1d10 (fire) damage on the "crit".

In effect the creature (or you if wearing heavy fortification armor) is immune to the effects of being critted but that does not stop the crit occurring.

Barbarian Horde
2015-06-28, 02:43 PM
See but it doesn't say immune. It says it Negates

Andezzar
2015-06-28, 02:44 PM
In effect the creature (or you if wearing heavy fortification armor) is immune to the effects of being critted but that does not stop the crit occurring.I disagree. You roll normally. Normally you do not get the d10 from flaming burst.

Barbarian Horde
2015-06-28, 09:31 PM
Does anyone else care to elaborate their point of view. I'm just trying to see what proper interpretation should be for this effect. Again I unless Im reading this wrong, the crit just doesn't occur what so ever because it as a whole is negated.

Venger
2015-06-28, 09:33 PM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Fortification
Fortification: This suit of armor or shield produces a magical force that protects vital areas of the wearer more effectively. When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on the wearer, there is a chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.

So I know after reading around that wotc said that heavy fortification does block vorpal weapons effect. Now what Im curious about is the text reads that it negates crits at 100%. Negate by definition is 'nullify; make ineffective." So does this remove the ability for people to crit you in general? So any extra damage that would of been done to you through a crit's normal special ability no longer happens because the crit as a whole was negated? Because it was negated translates to "It never happened." right?

Im not saying your immune to crits. What I'm saying is that with heavy fortification it cancels out crits as if it never occurred.

Someone gets the chance, and help me clarify this please.
couple things

first, check the srd for rules, that's where real rules are, not dandwiki. it has some accurate information, but a lot of untagged homebrew with the same titles as real material.

here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#fortification) is the page on fortification.

yes. if you have heavy fort, then you cannot be critted or harmed with precision damage at all.

the important thing here is while you are (functionally) unable to be hurt by crits (and thus precision damage) you are actually immune to them. you just have a chance (a 100% chance) to evade damage

for example, if you are struck with some kind of effect like heart ripper which says "it doesn't work if a target is immune to critical hits" like if it was an undead or something. you would still need to save for it and similar effects, like freezing the lifeblood.

As far as I can remember it's a bit odd.

When wielding a weapon with bonus effects on a crit (e.g. a flaming burst longsword) against an opponent immune to crits (e.g. an undead) then one still rolls the confirmation roll to see if the burst of the flaming burst triggers.
So the +1 flaming burst sword would deal 1d8+1 (magic slashing) +1d6+1d10 (fire) damage on the "crit".

In effect the creature (or you if wearing heavy fortification armor) is immune to the effects of being critted but that does not stop the crit occurring.
Wrong.

"rolled normally" means "rolled as though it were not a crit/sneak attack." you only get flaming burst on a crit, so do not deal it to someone with heavy fort.

I disagree. You roll normally. Normally you do not get the d10 from flaming burst.
Yes, this is how the rules work.