PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Monk Path of Celerity - PEACH

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-06-28, 02:50 PM
So this started from me trying to recreate the Swiftblade from 3.5 internet supplements. Members of my group didn't feel that it was very sorcerer-like in nature and didn't really have much similarity with the other bloodlines. Mix this with long nights binge watching The Flash, and here it is.

The Path of Celerity

F = MxA
At 3rd level you begin to learn how to use your speed to deliver devastating blows to even physically superior opponents. When you hit a creature with a melee or thrown weapon attack and you have physically moved at least 15 feet in a straight line before the attack, you can expend 2 ki points to deal an additional 1 damage per monk level you have.
Additionally if you do not use your movement on your turn, you gain a bonus to your speed equal to your unarmored movement bonus until the end of you turn.

Speed Personified
At 6th level of this class you have attained the first breakthrough in your training to push the bounds of physical limitations. You can expend 4 ki points as a bonus action to gain the effects of the Haste spell for 1 minute, this effect requires the same concentration as a spell. After this effect ends you receive one level of exhaustion. While you are under this effect or the Haste spell, opportunity attacks against you have disadvantage and you are immune to the Slow spell.

Action Before Thought
At 11th level of this class your body has become suffused with the aspect of speed that you can now gain the effects of the Haste spell as a reaction by spending 2 additional ki points (total of 6) as long as you’re not surprised. You no longer need to concentrate on this effect and you no longer suffer the ill effects of the Haste spell or the level of exhaustion. While under the effects of Haste you add your proficiency bonus to your initiative rolls and ignore any effects of exhaustion.

The Unfettered
At 17th level you are no longer bound by the normal laws of reality. You can expend 8 ki points to innately cast the Teleportation or Plane Shift spell. You must be a target when you cast either spell, you must still have the material components to cast Plane Shift.
Additionally, while under the effects of Haste you gain the following benefits:

You can teleport to an unoccupied space you can see within 60 feet as a bonus action.
You gain the benefits of the Freedom of Movement spell.
At the start of each of your turns, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier, provided that you have at least 1 hit point. These Temporary hit points last until the effects of Haste wear off.
You can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. While inside an object or creature you have tremorsense with a radius of 5 feet. If you occupy the same spot as a solid object or creature at the end of your movement are immediately shunted to the nearest unoccupied space that you can occupy and take force damage equal to twice the number of feet you are moved.

Inchoroi
2015-06-29, 01:34 AM
This is pretty cool. Adorjan (a always running river who can do nothing but run fast and giggle; long story, don't ask) from Exalted has a special place in my heart, and he does everything this does, while being balanced. I think the final ability could be stated in a cleaner fashion, but it didn't seem overpowered out anything to me.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-06-29, 07:17 AM
If someone can manage to capture the intent and overall mechanics while still cleaning up the wording that would be great. I am presently fried with trying to write it out atm, I will change it if I think of something better.

Inchoroi
2015-06-29, 04:32 PM
The thing that strikes me first is that sort of ShenaniganTM should be a super-beefed up version of Mirror Image, with some extra oomph. I don't think its appropriate (its not broken) to have extra actions, however, since that messes with the action economy on a game that is very strict with it; as written, you'd have essentially 12 attacks at that point, which will really bog down the game.

So, in that case, how about something like this:

Speed of Thought
At 17th level, you've learned to transcend the speed of thought, moving faster than any sense can track. You can remain in this state for no longer than one minute, and enter it by spending any number of ki points and taking an action. At that point, an equal number of duplicates appear in spaces within 30ft of you.

When you are subject to an attack, you may freely shift the attack to one of your duplicates. A duplicate has an AC of 16. If the duplicate is hit by the attack, it is destroyed; if the attacker rolls a natural 20, the attack cannot be shifted to a duplicate. Your duplicates are not affected by effects that don't have an attack roll, such as spells that require a saving throw.

Because you are actually occupying the space during a fraction of a heartbeat, this ability affects blindsight and even truesight.

Once the duration of this ability ends, you must take a long rest in order to use it again.

The above might be OP...I dunno yet. Just spitballed. My subconscious will think about it.

EDIT: Yeah...come to think of it, this is kind of OP. Needs a more than 5 percent change to hit the monk...probably just have a flat DC check, similar to how mirror image does, like a 4 or higher you can shift it to a duplicate.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-02, 05:59 PM
I'm considering putting a limitation on it that requires them to make the same actions or be forced to take no actions, and to have to remain within 60ft of one another. So they all attack and flurry, or all attack and dash, etc.

This has been a troubling one for me because of the massive gain for the equal amount of vulnerability.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-08-10, 12:12 PM
I decided to go back over this class and finish with the balance checks on it. This is actually because of Ninja_Prawn and their Chronomancy Spells and subclasses that are being developed because of it. I'm hoping that this is added to the chrono-archetype list as an honorable mention for a monk subclass, even though is only focuses on the speed aspect of time-magic. . .

F=MxA changed to require 15ft of run.
Capstone modified to produce only 1 duplicate, but lasts for an additional round. Clarification and quality of life changes edited in.

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-10-14, 12:37 PM
Ok, dusting off some old material of mine. Long made short, I removed the ki spells from 3rd level, added a "speed charge" mechanic. Completely overhauled the capstone to be something that detracts less from the group and should speed up combat play. The spells added may be a tad intense as well as the ethereal movement. So that said, trimming is most likely needed, but I think I took a step in the right direction.