PDA

View Full Version : Hoplite Builds

Teapot Salty
2015-06-28, 07:21 PM
Hey guys. So I want to know what everyone thinks is the best build for a hoplite, (for those who don't know what that is, think spartan) the best build for a sword (or spear) n' board formation fighter. Go nuts.

Ralanr
2015-06-28, 07:35 PM
If feats are allowed, the shield master feat is a must.

Obviously a fighter is a good choice, battlemaster or champion could work. Protection fighting style.

Others? A rogue could be interesting. Spears are simple weapons after all. If you go dwarf then you get medium armor. So dwarf rogue with a shield and spear...sounds awesome.

Naanomi
2015-06-28, 07:49 PM
Champion Fighters with Protection+Defense Style and Shield Mastery in the front row...
Battlemaster Fighters with Polearm Mastery + Sentinel in the second row; call a Pike a Halberd...

Slipperychicken
2015-06-28, 07:53 PM
I'm thinking fighter with polearm master, sentinel, and protection style. Could be a battlemaster with riposte to hit anyone who misses him. Attacking the line means taking disadvantage and eating a lot of OAs (some for entering reach, some more on each attack, and a couple extra for missing).

Gwendol
2015-06-29, 03:01 AM
There's a thread for that! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?405127-Hoplite

BM with protection style and shield mastery was the general consensus IIRC.

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-29, 08:05 AM
I'd go for a monk with a spear, since a spear is a monk weapon.

It's not the ordinary Hoplite, but it could work.