PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder A way to permanently Polymorph enemies into bigger animals

Qc Storm
2015-06-29, 03:11 AM
We have a Demiplane we want to populate with animals. Regular animals are boring though, we'd much rather turn our enemies into animals and THEN populate our world with them. Bunnies with 15 levels of barbarian are too cool to pass up.

Unfortunately Baleful Polymorph can't make animals bigger than small. Are there any ways to go bigger? We need bears, deers and stuff.

Firest Kathon
2015-06-29, 07:03 AM
Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm). Humans and animals are the same kingdom, the same class and same or lower intelligence (usually), so you get permanent duration.

AnonymousPepper
2015-06-29, 08:11 AM
Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm). Humans and animals are the same kingdom, the same class and same or lower intelligence (usually), so you get permanent duration.

Thread is tagged Pathfinder. The abomination that is PaO doesn't exist. It'd have to be in by fiat.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-29, 08:18 AM
Unfortunately Pathfinder doesn't really handle turning anything into anything else well. As far as I know, you'll have to houserule something or change your plans.

(Un)Inspired
2015-06-29, 12:21 PM
Thread is tagged Pathfinder. The abomination that is PaO doesn't exist. It'd have to be in by fiat.

Are you sure (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.html) about that? It kinda looks like it's on pathfinder's SRD... On Paizo's own website... With the same duration chart 3.5 had...

Uncle Pine
2015-06-29, 05:06 PM
Are you sure (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.html) about that? It kinda looks like it's on pathfinder's SRD... On Paizo's own website... With the same duration chart 3.5 had...

However, PaO's effect is based on Greater Polymorph, which is based on Polymorph, which in turns is based on the crappy "<type> Shape" lines. So it's nothing like 3.5e's PaO.

(Un)Inspired
2015-06-29, 05:17 PM
However, PaO's effect is based on Greater Polymorph, which is based on Polymorph, which in turns is based on the crappy "<type> Shape" lines. So it's nothing like 3.5e's PaO.

Pathfidner's PAO says this:

This spell functions like greater polymorph, except that it changes one object or creature into another.

So while polymorph just gives you little ability score increases and a few abilities, PAO actually changes an object or creature into another.

The spell still has its little duration chart that will allow the OP to turn their enemies into animals larger than baleful polymorph would allow.

Eldaran
2015-06-29, 06:01 PM
So while polymorph just gives you little ability score increases and a few abilities, PAO actually changes an object or creature into another.

That's a pretty warped interpretation of the spell, since it still uses the general polymorph spell rules. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Transmutation-Polymorph) There's no rule in Pathfinder that would allow it to actually turn something completely into another creature, the only way it can function is by using the Beast Shape/Elemental Body/etc. line of spells. The only reason PAO has that line is because it needs to specify that it works on objects as well.

(Un)Inspired
2015-06-29, 06:32 PM
That's a pretty warped interpretation of the spell, since it still uses the general polymorph spell rules. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Transmutation-Polymorph) There's no rule in Pathfinder that would allow it to actually turn something completely into another creature, the only way it can function is by using the Beast Shape/Elemental Body/etc. line of spells. The only reason PAO has that line is because it needs to specify that it works on objects as well.

It literally specifically says that it changes one object or creature into another. It even specifies that the way in which it works is different from polymorph.

At no point does it say that the way it works differently from Greater Polymorph.

What the spell can accomplish is in conflict with what paizo has written for the general polymorph rules. This is not the first time they've failed to have internal consistency.

Eldaran
2015-06-29, 09:21 PM
Except the part where it says in functions as Greater Polymorph, and the fact that it's still tagged as a polymorph spell, rendering your entire argument moot. You can misinterpret all you want, you can do anything you want in your own game, but there's no reason to assume the spell has effects outside what Greater Polymorph does (except for what is listed in the description).

(Un)Inspired
2015-06-29, 11:10 PM
Except the part where it says in functions as Greater Polymorph, and the fact that it's still tagged as a polymorph spell, rendering your entire argument moot. You can misinterpret all you want, you can do anything you want in your own game, but there's no reason to assume the spell has effects outside what Greater Polymorph does (except for what is listed in the description).

I couldn't agree more. The only thing it does that greater polymorph doesn't do is what it does in the description, namely turning creatures and objects into other creatures and objects.

I'm sure it's lots of fun to claim that what I'm saying is a misinterpretation without any actual support for you argument but if you going to try to support your point (which you totally don't have to do if you don't want to or can't) I'd like to understand how the part of the spell that claims it functions differently from Greater Polymorph doesn't make it function differently from a Greater Polymorph.

I could easily be misreading. I'm not perfect, I could be wrong, but I'm not seeing the support for your claim that the stated exception only exists to point out that the spell works on objects.

Urpriest
2015-06-30, 11:00 AM
In any case, this argument is pointless. Regardless of whether it literally turns your enemies into other creatures completely or not, it's still potentially got a Permanent duration, which is all that matters for the OP.