PDA

View Full Version : Backgrounds and Character fluff

KnotKnormal
2015-06-29, 08:00 AM
I just started a new campaign with friends, and I want to play a drunken monk. I would use the standard Monk class, but would play with the fluff and background to fit what I wanted. is there anything wrong with doing this? thank you all.

Naanomi
2015-06-29, 08:08 AM
Go for it, so long as mechanics absolutely don't change (even a little) no one should care at all. Only when actual mechanics start changing do people (and GMs) start getting up in arms over refluffs.

Though I can't think of any for monk, watch for writing out fluff drawbacks which, in some ways, are 'mechanical' in the sense that they are expected as negatives... Like saying your tiefling/drow is really a half-fey and everyone should love you, or reworking warlock patrons as nature spirits that never conflict with you and don't associate with weird evil cults that scare peasants.

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-29, 08:41 AM
I just started a new campaign with friends, and I want to play a drunken monk. I would use the standard Monk class, but would play with the fluff and background to fit what I wanted. is there anything wrong with doing this? thank you all.

I don't see how there's anything wrong.

If you DM allows it, you may design a background. And you can always be the standard monk class (with a fluff)

KnotKnormal
2015-06-29, 01:01 PM
Go for it, so long as mechanics absolutely don't change (even a little) no one should care at all. Only when actual mechanics start changing do people (and GMs) start getting up in arms over refluffs.

Though I can't think of any for monk, watch for writing out fluff drawbacks which, in some ways, are 'mechanical' in the sense that they are expected as negatives... Like saying your tiefling/drow is really a half-fey and everyone should love you, or reworking warlock patrons as nature spirits that never conflict with you and don't associate with weird evil cults that scare peasants.

nothing to that extent. The only thing i said was for a flaw. If im sober for more then 48 hours, my monk unarmed weapon damage drops by a die. so 1D6 would be 1D4, etc. But returns as soon as drink even the slightest bit of alcohol.

Inevitability
2015-06-29, 02:41 PM
Don't monks get free proficiency with one set of artistians tools of their choice? Pick brewer's equipment.

ImSAMazing
2015-07-02, 05:21 AM

Look at the Homebrew Design forum on GiantITP, it has a cool Drunken Monk archetype somewhere...