PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help realizing a character concept.

JesusCraig
2015-06-29, 12:36 PM
Hey everybody,

I'm asking for assistance again with a build I'm making. The DM has ruled that I can combine Primal Hunter archetype with Boon companion to make a companion who can use evolutions for 4 minutes per day (spent in 1 minute increments). He's also following fractional BAB and saves. The idea behind the build is a big bruiser animal companion (ape) with support from a reach cleric focused on tripping, the only concession is that there can be no summoning in the build. Its for a short module, so although there is some advancement I wouldn't expect it to extend beyond one or two more levels. My main concern is I'm not sure it's effective enough at tripping and the animal companion seems really fragile. From the sounds of it there won't be much rest in between battles so I'm worried I may stretch my resources too thin between the cleric spells, the cleric growth domain ability, and the primal evolutions. I'm asking for any good modifications or changes to help make him more capable at combat.

Aerion Arrowind Human - Primal Hunter 1/Seperatist cleric 3
Domains: growth, wolf (Seperatist)
Ref(6) Fort(7) Will(8)
Initiative: 6
Str: 16 Dex: 14 Con: 14 Int: 7 Wis: 18 Chr: 7
HP: 37 (8+6+6+5+4x2+4)

Feats: improved trip (wolf domain), boon companion (human bonus feat), combat reflexes (level 1), improved initiative (level 3)
Trait: defensive strategist

Skills: 13 (5+2+2+2) Acrobatics: 9 (4+3+2) Sense motive: 8 (1+3+4) Perception 11 (4+3+4) Survival 8 (1+3+4) Stealth 7 (2+3+2) Knowledge religion 2 (1+3-2)

CMB[while enlarged]: 9 [11] CMD: 18 [19] - Assumes a masterwork Guisarme
Attack[while enlarged]: +7 (2d4+4) [+7 (2d6+6)] - Assumes a masterwork Guisarme

Spells known (Hunter) (3 uses per day) Entangle, mudball
Spells prepared (Cleric)
Level 1: Burning disarm, murderous command, command, shield of faith (D:Enlarge Person)
Level 2: hold person, spiritual weapon (D:Barkskin)

Companion: Ape
Str: 22, Dex: 16, Con: 14, Int: 3, Wis: 12, Cha: 7
Feats: Light Armor proficiency, Power Attack
AC: 21 (+3 Dex, +4 Natural +4 Armor)
HP: 26
Attacks (power attacking): +8/+8/+8 1d6+8/1d6+8/1d6+8
Evolutions: 4 minutes per day, must be spent in 1 minute increments - improved natural Armor, pounce, ability increase (strength), gore (1d8+9), bleed (1d6)

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Edit: For roleplaying purposes the character is Evil and will channel and spontaneously cast appropriately.

Geddy2112
2015-06-29, 01:24 PM
Looks like a fairly solid build. If you really want to go for a tripping build, I would stronly consider 3 ranks in hunter and one in cleric. At level 3 you get the teamwork feat and your companion the same one for free. Tandem trip is very good for a trip build with your ape companion, and coordinated maneuvers is also worth a look. You would get a few less cleric spells, but you still have the enlarge person from your domain, and some flexible slots to prepare different utility spells as needed. More ranks in hunter would also mean more skill points and better reflex saves. Your will saves should be good enough with a high wis mod.

Nothing wrong with being evil, but beware about using your channel without selective channeling. Unless you have a necromancer or undead in the party. Still handy to nuke if you get surrounded, and inflict is okay but positive energy would be better from a mechanical standpoint. Since you don't have positive energy or spontaneous healing, pick up a wand or 2 of cure light wounds for quick healing, and maybe even put a rank in heal so you can save uses outside of combat.

JesusCraig
2015-06-29, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the advice! Outflank is pretty cool since it shouldn't be that hard to flank with two large creatures.

Trading my level 2 spells for a team work feat and outflank isn't a bad trade.

Geddy2112
2015-06-29, 09:53 PM
You're welcome! Outflank is really good, but it won't be as useful with your reach weapon. Helps your ape out a LOT though. You could trip+5 foot step then have your ape wail on the poor enemy on the ground. Then repeat.

You could take a heavy flail for tripping, and it also has a 19-20 crit range which helps provoke AoO's from outflank.

With your extra ranger/druid spells, consider lead blades for you and magic fang to help your ape friend. Those two combined will really increase the oomph your hits will pack.

For your next feat, consider fury's fall, which adds your dex to CMB when attempting a trip, if you want to go that route.