PDA

View Full Version : "Nice try" finishing lines

Mewtarthio
2007-04-28, 01:24 PM
You know how the villain always dies in an action movie (or book pretending to be an action movie): The hero always makes one final remark before landing the finishing blow (often in response to something the villain just said). This topic is to commemorate those lines which don't really work out. You know what I'm talking about: The lines where you can almost hear the "Oh, yeah? Well--" tacked onto the beginning. Lines like this little beauty from Tron:

"I'm also better than you!"

Of course, it's not just action movies; some novels try to emulate this trope as well. Check out this villain-hero exchange from Michael Crichton's Timeline:

"Rot in hell!"
"You first!"

So now I open the floor to everyone else: Post the least heroic finishing lines you know of, be they from movies, novels, video games, comic books, or internet flash videos*, just so long as they make the hero's best dramatic moment seem a little less cool.

*Webcomics, epic poems, songs, and any other form of media save your own imagination are also acceptable

Innis Cabal
2007-04-28, 01:26 PM
the classic after one is beheaded-Thats one way to stay ahead...hahahahaah...

Amotis
2007-04-28, 01:31 PM
I like this one (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZNZ6-p-Laa8)

"I was born ready."

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-28, 01:31 PM
Well anything from a Bond movie ever, "Positively shocking" or "I think he got the point".

There are quotes in the back of my mind from The Rock or Face Off, but I can't quite recall them.

blackout
2007-04-28, 01:38 PM
My favorite is from the Doom movie.

"Like the kid said. Go to hell. *throws grenade through the Ark*"

Granted, the movie was completely unlike Doom except for the monsters, but it was still half-decent...in terms of action, anyways.

averagejoe
2007-04-28, 03:33 PM
Well, you gotta love those for TV Die Hard dubs:

"Yippie ki yay, Mista Falcon!"

Soniku
2007-04-28, 04:16 PM
Xellos from slayers.

"That is... a secret" before grinning, winking, tapping his nose and making the kill :smallbiggrin:

Toastkart
2007-04-28, 04:48 PM
I always thought that made Xellos more badass.

I think "didn't you know... Spartan's never die," by Kurt Ambrose from The ghosts of Onyx halo book was a bit corny. And a bit forced. maybe it's just me.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-28, 10:37 PM
Well, technically it was said after the finishing blow while his victem was dying, but Jango Fett has the best one ever.

Random Dude who I can't remember: "I'll see you in hell, Jango!"
Jango: "Save a place for me."

Lemur
2007-04-28, 11:14 PM
Any time I encounter the "(insert vaguely relevant word) this!" line, I just shake my head.

Mr._Blinky
2007-04-28, 11:44 PM
Any time I encounter the "(insert vaguely relevant word) this!" line, I just shake my head.
Except Warf's "Assimilate this!", in Star Trek: First Contact. Cause that was just awesomely hilarious.

averagejoe
2007-04-29, 12:35 AM

That and hell references. Hell references are pretty worn out. Like "ooo, look at me, I'm going to hell, I'm such a badass." Except I do agree with Mr. Blinky; Michael Dorn breathed new life into a worn out phrase.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-29, 04:36 AM
Jango Fett's is my favourite.

I heart him.

Jibar
2007-04-29, 01:46 PM
I thought that Tron line worked well...

Oh well.
I'll add on Ripley's "Close your eyes baby."
As cool as it is, it's kinda stupid saying it to the monster that doesn't understand you.
It's like saying "suck it" to a vacuum cleaner.

Archonic Energy
2007-04-29, 01:59 PM
from hudson hawk:
"i guess you won't be going to that hat convention"

from Mc Bain
"ice to see you"

EvilElitest
2007-04-29, 02:11 PM
Here are some pretty good ones from Full Metal Alechmist

"you could say that envy was once your brother"
Envy "But then he forsook me, started fresh with his perfect wife and kid. Needless to say i didn't like being replaced"
(Stabs Ed)
Or
(Edward Elric after being bitten on his metal arm/leg"
"Wrong leg pal. And here is the right arm" (Kicks the monsters skull in
Or if you read the manga, Greeds last words, as he is being put into a vat of boiling oil
"AHhhhhhhhh. Come in my brothers and sisters, the tempature is just right. I'm going to hell, i'll scout ahead to see what it is like. I'll find you there"
Father "Come back into me, Greed. You are returing to where you came from"
Greed "Fine by me dad, but don't blame me if you get sick"

from,
EE

Jerthanis
2007-04-29, 02:11 PM
Well, you get in a fight with a much larger person, and you distract him by thrusting a giant stuffed monkey into his arms. Then while he's distracted by the silly monkey, you say, "Playtime's over" and smash a potted plant on his head.

Then later in the movie you knock the same thug out by knocking him into a container of frozen goods, and then get berated by your partner for not saying something like, "Cool off." but those are awesome and purposefully hilarious.

I remember one that was ludicrously bad in the movie "Cutthroat Island" where she shot the main baddie with a canon, but before doing so, she said, "Bad Dog!" (because the enemy pirate was named Dog or something) I remember liking that movie as a kid, and I still thought that line was one of the dumbest ones ever.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-29, 04:08 PM
Some of the ones Vimes didn't say in The Fifth Elephant were quite good.

Gygaxphobia
2007-04-29, 04:17 PM
No Arnie quotes so far? wow.

Commando is the best: (throws pipe into villains chest piercing pressure-boiler) "Let off some steam."

Piedmon_Sama
2007-04-29, 05:04 PM
My personal favorite is from Predator:

*Arnold pins a terrorist to the wall with a machete*

"Stick around."

Midnight Son
2007-04-29, 05:05 PM
I remember one that was ludicrously bad in the movie "Cutthroat Island" where she shot the main baddie with a canon, but before doing so, she said, "Bad Dog!" (because the enemy pirate was named Dog or something) I remember liking that movie as a kid, and I still thought that line was one of the dumbest ones ever.When I watched that movie, and that line came up, my only thought was, "I can't believe someone spent the money to make a whole movie just so they could include that line."

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-30, 07:14 AM
Arnie has some golden ones.

In Predator ( I think), after throwing a knife at a guy pinning him to a wall: "Stick around."

Human Paragon 3
2007-04-30, 12:20 PM
Arnie again in Comando, after impaling the bad guy on a steam pipe:

"Why don't you let off some steam?"

The ultimate, Jaws: Smile you son of a bitch!

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-04-30, 02:38 PM
Guybrush Threepwood, mighty pirate:

"How appropriate. You fight like a cow!" :smallbiggrin:

EYanyo
2007-04-30, 03:14 PM
A couple of bad ones came from the X-Men movie trilogy.

X-Men
Storm: Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else.
[electrocutes Toad]

X2
Pyro: You know all those dangerous mutants you hear about in the news? I'm the worst one.
[blows up a cop car]

I know there's probably a bunch from The Last Stand, but I haven't seen it enough times to remember any. The first one I mentioned is really one of the worst culprits of this, though. So horrible.:smallyuk:

bluish_wolf
2007-04-30, 03:25 PM
Oh, pitiable shadow bound to the darkness. Looking down on others, causing them pain. Your soul drowns in dark karma. Want to see what death is like?

Tom_Violence
2007-04-30, 04:33 PM
Some of the ones Vimes didn't say in The Fifth Elephant were quite good.

How odd. I was just about to venture those.

Pyrex
2007-04-30, 04:58 PM
... Check out this villain-hero exchange from Michael Crichton's Timeline:...

Ugh. Did you really have to remind me? Timeline was so bad it hurt.

How could a (decent) book that was so obviously written to be turned into a screenplay turn into such a bad movie!? :smallfrown:

Don Beegles
2007-04-30, 05:09 PM
How odd. I was just about to venture those.

Fetch. You know the drill

averagejoe
2007-04-30, 07:04 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned these yet:

"I want my father back, you son of a bitch!"

"It's possible, Pig, I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable, vomitous mass, that I'm only lying here because I lack the strength to stand. But, then again... perhaps I have the strength after all. DROP... YOUR... SWORD!"

The Great Skenardo
2007-04-30, 07:15 PM
For all the cheesiness, I still like
"When you get to hell, tell 'em I sent ya; you'll get a group discount." -Caleb
(Blood II: the Chosen)

EYanyo
2007-04-30, 08:22 PM
Oh, also anything that contains the phrase "Over my dead body." Then the other guy says "Okay," and kills the first guy. Lame.

Phoenix Talion
2007-04-30, 08:38 PM
If I recall correctly, in "The Scorpion King" the Rock's line before he kills the bad guy with an arrow is "Catch this."

Mr._Blinky
2007-04-30, 08:56 PM

"It's possible, Pig, I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable, vomitous mass, that I'm only lying here because I lack the strength to stand. But, then again... perhaps I have the strength after all. DROP... YOUR... SWORD!"
But those are classic!

Amotis
2007-04-30, 08:59 PM
Seriously, these one liners of action and yelling should take a cue from Tarantino.

"English, mother****er, do you speak it?!"

EYanyo
2007-04-30, 10:38 PM

"It's possible, Pig, I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable, vomitous mass, that I'm only lying here because I lack the strength to stand. But, then again... perhaps I have the strength after all. DROP... YOUR... SWORD!"But those are classic!

I agree. Those lines made him even more of a hero, especially the first one, once you consider the lead-up to its delivery. One of the best movies ever, in my opinion.

GenericFighter
2007-04-30, 11:44 PM
Stargate (the movie). Right before Kurt Russel decapitates some 'Egyptian' goon:

"Give my regards to King Tut!"

Crazy good or crazy stupid- you be the judge.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-01, 12:37 AM
Welcome to Civilization!

Don Beegles
2007-05-01, 03:10 PM

But those are classic!I agree. Those lines made him even more of a hero, especially the first one, once you consider the lead-up to its delivery. One of the best movies ever, in my opinion.

Indeed. This thread is for cheesy lines, and both of those are most certainly not cheesy. Ignoring the fact that the second is not, technically, a finishing line, they both work really well; They both sound real, not like a cheesy finishing line.

SteveMB
2007-05-01, 03:39 PM
No Arnie quotes so far? wow.

Commando is the best: (throws pipe into villains chest piercing pressure-boiler) "Let off some steam."

"Remember when I said I would kill you last...?"

zeratul
2007-05-01, 04:03 PM
The ultimate, Jaws: Smile you son of a bitch!

Hey now, that was an actual cool quote, I have a tendancy to say it when playing FPSers. Hmm corny line corny line........

Pyro - You shoulda stayed at that school bobby

Ice-man(punching pyro) - You never shoulda left!

And ummm "I'm the juggernaut bitch!"?

Mewtarthio
2007-05-01, 06:18 PM
Pyro - You shoulda stayed at that school bobby

Ice-man(punching pyro) - You never shoulda left!

What makes that line all the worse is that I kept trying to figure out what the hidden meaning was. Normally, you'd expect some sort of twist rather than "You shouldn't have betrayed us!" playing off on the "school" part. All I could think of was, "You idiot! When ice is exposed to fire, it grows invincible armor! Because of physics!"

Mr._Blinky
2007-05-01, 06:25 PM
What makes that line all the worse is that I kept trying to figure out what the hidden meaning was. Normally, you'd expect some sort of twist rather than "You shouldn't have betrayed us!" playing off on the "school" part. All I could think of was, "You idiot! When ice is exposed to fire, it grows invincible armor! Because of physics!"
I'm pretty sure he's saying that Pyro should have stayed in school, since that's where Iceman learned to do the whole ice-armor thing, the idea being that if Pyro had stayed he might have learned something similar.

zeratul
2007-05-01, 06:29 PM
All I know is, movie ice-man was annoying.

Oh No You Didn't!!!!!! What do you have agains't the classics?!? Jaws, ans the princess bride are good!!!

Mewtarthio
2007-05-01, 09:22 PM
I'm pretty sure he's saying that Pyro should have stayed in school, since that's where Iceman learned to do the whole ice-armor thing, the idea being that if Pyro had stayed he might have learned something similar.

I'd briefly considered that, but he seems to suddenly figure out the ice armor at the last second.

But we're going off topic.

Neon Knight
2007-05-02, 09:32 PM
From The Brothers Grimm:

Hero Dude whose name escapes me: "You killed my friends!"

Evil French Guy: "I only wish you had more!"

JonathanC
2007-05-02, 10:48 PM
You know how the villain always dies in an action movie (or book pretending to be an action movie): The hero always makes one final remark before landing the finishing blow (often in response to something the villain just said). This topic is to commemorate those lines which don't really work out. You know what I'm talking about: The lines where you can almost hear the "Oh, yeah? Well--" tacked onto the beginning. Lines like this little beauty from Tron:

"I'm also better than you!"

Of course, it's not just action movies; some novels try to emulate this trope as well. Check out this villain-hero exchange from Michael Crichton's Timeline:

"Rot in hell!"
"You first!"

So now I open the floor to everyone else: Post the least heroic finishing lines you know of, be they from movies, novels, video games, comic books, or internet flash videos*, just so long as they make the hero's best dramatic moment seem a little less cool.

*Webcomics, epic poems, songs, and any other form of media save your own imagination are also acceptable

The best one I've ever heard came from the movie Heist (2001), with Danny DeVito and Gene Hackman.

DeVito: Don't you want to hear my last words?

Hackman: I already did. [blam!]

Indurain
2007-05-02, 11:24 PM
Con Air:

Random Bad Guy: Cy-

Cyrus "The Virus: -anora!

or...

Nick Cage: Why couldn't you put the bunny back in the box?

Creeps
2007-05-03, 01:40 AM
I've always been fond of the last exchange between Avatar and Blackwolf in Ralph Bakshi's Wizards.

"I'm glad you changed your last name you sonofabitch."

Hm. That seems less impressive out of the context of the movie. Therefore, go watch the movie. It has mutant Nazis as villains. C'mon.

Snipers_Promise
2007-05-05, 01:37 PM
I really like one of the lines from Die Another Day.
Gustavs Graves: Time to face destiny.
Bond: Time to face gravity! *pulls Graves's parachute and Graves gets sucked into the plane's turbine*

Deckmaster
2007-05-05, 02:17 PM
Although it's not technically what this thread is about...

"That still only counts as one!" Gimli, Return of the King.

Kitya
2007-05-05, 10:16 PM
The only line I can think of, and I don't really think it's all that cheesey, is from Tombstone when Kurt Russel's character says, "Are you going to do something, or just stand there and bleed?"

Warpfire
2007-05-05, 10:19 PM
From Spiderman III:

"I like being bad. It makes me happy." Just ugh.

Artemician
2007-05-06, 06:08 AM
Just a random quote off the top of my head.

"You don't need to prove that you exist, because soon you won't."

Dib
2007-05-06, 06:18 AM
X2
Pyro: You know all those dangerous mutants you hear about in the news? I'm the worst one.
[blows up a cop car]

aw... I liked that one... he was cool in tha scene... then never again...

EDIT:
From Spiderman III:

"I like being bad. It makes me happy." Just ugh.

Actually it was 'I like being Mad,' and I though that was a good line too...

Deckmaster
2007-05-06, 07:16 AM
Also not technically a finishing line either, but in the same vein...

"You don't matter! In a couple of hours, you won't even be matter." The Bug, Men in Black.

Red Ivan
2007-05-09, 12:02 AM
I think some of the worst ones come from Roger Moore as James Bond. The one that was especially painful came from the end of Live and Let Die. Bond shoves a compressed air bullet in the villains mouth and he explodes. Bond's response? "He always did have an inflated opinion of himself." Ugh. I groaned when I heard that one.

Siubhlach
2007-05-10, 10:57 AM
Hmmm

The one that always makes me cringe is from the final altercation between Payne (Dennis Hopper) & Jack (Keanu Reeves) in their fight at the end of Speed.

Payne: I'm smarter than you Jack! I'm smarter
Payne is decapitated by a hanging light
Jack: Yeah, well I'm taller!

Unfortunate to say the least...

drawingfreak
2007-05-10, 11:24 AM
Best quote ever:
Will Smith: Welcome to Earth.

Dugray
2007-05-10, 11:27 AM
I can't remember which James Bond movie it's from but it's from a recent one with Brosnan and Halle Berry, the evil girl says "I can read your every move!" and then Berry stabs her with a book with a knife in it and she says, "Read this!".. Horrible.

Hunter Noventa
2007-05-10, 02:42 PM
They say one should not speak unkindly of the dead, so I say "Nice try!"
-Lezard Valeth

drawingfreak
2007-05-10, 04:01 PM
"Chew on this"

...No wait, that was a Trident commercial. Nevermind.

Bookman
2007-05-11, 05:42 PM
How about one from a stand up of Dane Cook. He describes how he cuts this guy in line who as Dane is leaving the store shouts "I'll KILL YOU!" (edited for languague) and he speculates what'd happen if this guy ACTUALLY hunted him down and killed him at his house. And he figures that all good killers in the movies have the one special line. This leads him to the idea that if this guy killed him for cutting in line the guy would say

"Who's cut now?"

Midnight Son
2007-05-12, 12:05 AM
How about one from a stand up of Dane Cook. He describes how he cuts this guy in line who as Dane is leaving the store shouts "I'll KILL YOU!" (edited for languague) and he speculates what'd happen if this guy ACTUALLY hunted him down and killed him at his house. And he figures that all good killers in the movies have the one special line. This leads him to the idea that if this guy killed him for cutting in line the guy would say

"Who's cut now?"What makes the line even lamer is that its from Dane Cook. Please let his 15 minutes be over soon.

Lemur
2007-05-12, 12:48 AM
I like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gIpuIVE3k&mode=related&search=) just because even in context, it's completely inane.