PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Custom PC Race Based on Saga's The Stalk [PEACH]

gom jabbarwocky
2015-06-29, 07:00 PM
I'm about to run a SW d20 revised game, and one of my players was interested in playing a character similar to The Stalk from Saga. Since SW is all about borrowing stuff from other sources, I have no problem with this, but I do have a problem with trying to make a player race with a lot of moving parts game-balanced. So I submit it here for the perusal and critique of the forums.

• -2 Str, -2 Con. (?)
• Extra Limbs: Lammassu have 6 limbs which are interchangeable legs or arms in three sets of pairs. A Lamassu can use no more than four arms at one time. When used as arms, they give them a +4 species bonus to Climb checks and grapple checks, and they can hold items in each of their four hands. A Lamasu has one primary hand and three off hands. A Lamassu can wield up to four weapons, but the normal penalties for fighting with multiple weapons apply. When on four legs, Lamassu gain a +4 stability bonus to resist bull rushes and trip attacks. When on six legs, Lamassu gain a +6 stability bonus instead. Changing which set of limbs is being used as arms and which are being used as legs requires a move action.
• Automatic Languages: Read/Write and Speak Sith.
• Natural Weapons: Lamassu have a seventh limb that ends in a stinger. An attack with the stinger and deals 1d4 damage (plus Strength modifier). Natural weapon attacks do not provoke an attack of opportunity and threaten a critical hit on a roll of 20.
• Poison: Lamassu stingers can inject poison. Whenever a stinger attack deals wound damage, the victim must make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + Lamassu's character level + Lamassu's Constitution bonus) or suffer 1d6 points of additional wound damage. One minute later, the victim must succeed a second save or suffer 1d6 points of Constitution damage.

Fluffwise, I'm calling the species "Lamassu" after the Mesopotamian mythological part-human, part-something else creatures, although that's subject to change if the player or I come up with something more creative. For now, the fluff I've got is that they speak Sith because the species was created with ancient Sith alchemy. Instead of a spider theme, the player was more interested in a scorpion motif, with a tail stinger, and for my sake, 6 limbs is more than enough to keep track of, amirite?

Any constructive criticism I'd like would be directed toward making sure it's not too powerful or too nerfed. I'm thinking two core stat penalties is perhaps too steep, but I'm also worried about the stinger and poison being too potent. Maybe just a penalty to one stat?