PDA

View Full Version : Decent Kobold Player Race?

SodaDarwin
2015-06-29, 08:04 PM
I might be able to play a game (finally) and I've been wanting lately to play as a Kobold Cleric of the Sun God. Preferably, but not needed, with a slight Aztec look/theme. What I need is a decent Kobold Player Race, it's hard to find one that's viable and doesn't have wings. The few I can find either seem... really week, unfinished, or actually kind of overpowered. The only two I found to be decent are Dragonwrought/Urd style ones, for flight and a boost to constitution, and one that has a couple minor sorcerer spells and a charisma bonus. The first is a bit much, because flight can be broken, making the second one the only one that seems like a decent choice.
Any ideas/creations/etc for this lack of Kobold?

Mjolnirbear
2015-06-29, 09:58 PM
Someone has been playing Warhammer Fantasy. ;)

Unfortunately my comment is completely unhelpful, because I have no ideas. I helped my DM build a PC goblin from the base up and we added a couple of abilities that were purely fluff (can eat anything most thinking creatures would consider too rotten or inedible; or somehow find a valueless trinket every time they do an Investigations check). While we were working on it, we gave the player a halfling and told him to pretend it was a goblin for now.

So you can do something similar... fluff a gnome or halfling for now until you get something more permanent.

For the actual class, take the DMG version, strip it of stat modifiers and any really powerful ability (such as pack tactics) and then add things in bit by bit. Try a purely fluff ability whose sole purpose is to give the 'feel' of kobold.

zinycor
2015-06-29, 10:03 PM
I have a player who plays a Kobold... but we are lazy, so we just grabbed a Halfling, changed his language to draconic and done.

DracoKnight
2015-06-29, 10:09 PM
Here's what my group uses :)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B66RprYE6_HHVnF5NFhYaFRlczQ/view?usp=sharing

zinycor
2015-06-29, 10:23 PM
Here's what my group uses :)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B66RprYE6_HHVnF5NFhYaFRlczQ/view?usp=sharing

seems nice :D

DracoKnight
2015-06-29, 10:31 PM
seems nice :D

I'm glad you like it :D

It's mostly just stuff out of the MM refluffed for a PC race, and we didn't make the Urd because if you want to play a kobold, you likely want to be the underdog :)

SodaDarwin
2015-06-29, 10:32 PM
That was fast.
Firstly, no I haven't ever played Warhammer related stuff. The Aztec feel is actually more from Age of Wonders and their Draconians.
With the linked Kobold, Pack Tactics is kind of something I'd try to avoid seeing how gaining advantage on basically every attack is a bit bonkers in power. For monsters, it's fine, but players... bit much.
Refluffing could work though, most likely with Halflings. And kinda yes to the whole underdog idea, I kinda do want that without being straight up a useless choice. Minus four strength when nobody else has a racial downside? Yeesh.

DracoKnight
2015-06-29, 10:35 PM
That was fast.
Firstly, no I haven't ever played Warhammer related stuff. The Aztec feel is actually more from Age of Wonders and their Draconians.
With the linked Kobold, Pack Tactics is kind of something I'd try to avoid seeing how gaining advantage on basically every attack is a bit bonkers in power. For monsters, it's fine, but players... bit much.
Refluffing could work though, most likely with Halflings. And kinda yes to the whole underdog idea, I kinda do want that without being straight up a useless choice. Minus four strength when nobody else has a racial downside? Yeesh.

It's really easy to get advantage, and refluffing the halfling as a kobold is even more powerful.

GiantOctopodes
2015-06-29, 10:42 PM
I have a player who plays a Kobold... but we are lazy, so we just grabbed a Halfling, changed his language to draconic and done.

I want to second this as totally viable and it works perfectly across the board.

If you want to take it a bit further, the only two things that aren't necessarily perfect are "Lucky" and the sub race material. Get rid of Lucky, add in both Darkvision and Light Sensitivity (which will be *awesome*, seriously, that should be fun as a worshipper of a sun god) or don't add in either if playing light adapted ones, make one of the sub races +1 Con and Pack Tactics, and make the other variant the Urds, having no additional stat boosts or other benefits but having wings and a 30' fly speed (hey, the Aakocera have 50' fly speed, a total of +3 to stats, medium size, and improved unarmed strike damage, so I feel that it's not in any way too much). Giving them both wings and pack tactics would be too much.

zinycor
2015-06-29, 10:49 PM
On totally unrelated note:

I have 2 players that play halfling and they asked me to change the lucky trait, since they didn't like they idea of never getting 1s (failing horribly is half the fun). so I gave them 1 point of the lucky feat, do you guys think that is good? should i make another thread for this question?

Mjolnirbear
2015-06-29, 11:22 PM
I actually despise crit fails. Especially the way all my dms do it, where you have a chance to succeed even when you fail horribly (you miss your attack, but so badly you spin all the way around and still hit them!)

Halfling is, in addition to being a fun paladin, a simple way to get around stupid crit fail rules. I would take it EVERY TIME on every character if i could.

Also i roll about a billion ones. Seriously. One session i rolled ten of them. It was not a particularly unusual session in that regard.

zinycor
2015-06-29, 11:26 PM
I actually despise crit fails. Especially the way all my dms do it, where you have a chance to succeed even when you fail horribly (you miss your attack, but so badly you spin all the way around and still hit them!)

Halfling is, in addition to being a fun paladin, a simple way to get around stupid crit fail rules. I would take it EVERY TIME on every character if i could.

Also i roll about a billion ones. Seriously. One session i rolled ten of them. It was not a particularly unusual session in that regard.

Well, maybe it's that failing is so much funnier than succeding... but we love crit fails

Mjolnirbear
2015-06-29, 11:29 PM
As for "really easy to get advantage"... It's true, but you don't often get it for free. Think of a roguewith pack tactics: double the chance to crit sneak attack almost every attack. For free.

You can spend levels in druid to get advantage via shapeshifting toget pack tactics. You could cast about a hundred spells, knock him prone, knock him out, stun him, throw sand in his eye or a cloak over his head or hide or blind him or attack in darkness or while ethereal. But all of these cost something, usually an action or sometimes taking levels in some classes or a feat. That balances advantage.

Pack tactics gives it for free. That is not balanced for a pc.

Mjolnirbear
2015-06-29, 11:34 PM
Well, maybe it's that failing is so much funnier than succeding... but we love crit fails

Hehe I'm not one to tell you how to enjoy your game. And sometimes they can be funny. Perhaps your DMs have a better trick. My DM is actually considering revising his crit fail rules. Perhaps you can tell me how you guys do it?

I doubt ill actually like it. But it might be more palatable for me than our current version :)

zinycor
2015-06-29, 11:38 PM
Hehe I'm not one to tell you how to enjoy your game. And sometimes they can be funny. Perhaps your DMs have a better trick. My DM is actually considering revising his crit fail rules. Perhaps you can tell me how you guys do it?

I doubt ill actually like it. But it might be more palatable for me than our current version :)

They are not so bad actually, most of them are inconvenient and must be played in a comical way.

you just fail, and it's always horrible.

Normally if you are attacking with your weapon you fall prone.
If you are attacking with your bow, your string gets cutted and you can't repair your bow until after the fight.
Saving throws; your items have to pass saving throws or get destroyed

but the true fun starts with skill checks :D specially if you are trying to steal something or charisma checks :D

Giant2005
2015-06-29, 11:44 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?371508-Playable-Kobolds!) one here doesn't seem too outrageous.

SodaDarwin
2015-06-29, 11:45 PM
As much as I like the conversation, it unfortunately seems to have diverted from kobold player race ideas to critical fails.
Sadsads ;3;
So general consenus is currently refluff halfling?

Giant2005
2015-06-29, 11:49 PM
So general consenus is currently refluff halfling?

Or click the link I posted above. It is the best out there.

SodaDarwin
2015-06-29, 11:54 PM
Or click the link I posted above. It is the best out there.

I saw that just after I posted.
I approve.

zinycor
2015-06-29, 11:56 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?371508-Playable-Kobolds!) one here doesn't seem too outrageous.

Wow, that's very detailed, and seems very nice.

danpit2991
2015-06-30, 12:14 AM
i don't know if it has been addressed how about a short dragonborn change strength bonus to dex lose the breath weapon add in halfling nimbleness and either naturally stealthy or stout resistance, 25 speed small size there you go instant Kobold maybe give a cantrip or two as a SLA and call it good

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-01, 09:42 AM
I might be able to play a game (finally) and I've been wanting lately to play as a Kobold Cleric of the Sun God. Preferably, but not needed, with a slight Aztec look/theme. What I need is a decent Kobold Player Race, it's hard to find one that's viable and doesn't have wings. The few I can find either seem... really week, unfinished, or actually kind of overpowered. The only two I found to be decent are Dragonwrought/Urd style ones, for flight and a boost to constitution, and one that has a couple minor sorcerer spells and a charisma bonus. The first is a bit much, because flight can be broken, making the second one the only one that seems like a decent choice.
Any ideas/creations/etc for this lack of Kobold?

Someone in our party was also a kobold. Just be a halfling and say that you're a kobold. Yes, it's that simple.