PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Finding players

frost890
2015-06-29, 08:14 PM
Hi all. I was wondering how everyone finds players for around there table? My players seem to have fizzled out a bit lately. I am in a small city with one game store. I plane on putting something up there but I was wondering if you have found another way to get players?

Bard1cKnowledge
2015-06-29, 09:12 PM
You can always play by post!

But yeah, putting an ad in the store is your best bet. Or ask around work/school if anyone might be interested

Red Fel
2015-06-29, 09:16 PM
My area has MeetUp groups. If you're not familiar, MeetUp is a social group organizing website. In my area, there are several groups organized on the website; they arrange various campaigns, and occasionally meet for a casual chat at local coffeehouses.

I'd advise you to check that site, and similar social media; while the local gaming store is a solid option, keep in mind that the internet is most definitely a thing.

MrZJunior
2015-06-29, 09:26 PM
I second MeetUp. That's how I found my regular Sunday D&D game.

PrincessCupcake
2015-07-07, 05:29 AM
Social media websites in general are great places to look for new players. I've used MeetUp, Facebook, forums I frequent, and pretty much any other place where I have a presence to find players if I need them.

If your game store has a facebook page, post the notice on their wall!

dream
2015-07-07, 09:12 AM
Social media websites in general are great places to look for new players. I've used MeetUp, Facebook, forums I frequent, and pretty much any other place where I have a presence to find players if I need them.

If your game store has a facebook page, post the notice on their wall!
a fifth vote for MeetUp!

I ran into a huge group of local gamers I knew nothing about using it. Asking the FLGS staff about gamers helps too, since many of them play TTRPGs. You can also tap into boardgaming groups, because I've found many of them are interested in TTRPGs as well. Just be polite and respectful when you approach people :smallsmile:

(Un)Inspired
2015-07-07, 11:58 AM
Sixth vote for Meetup. There's tons and tons of groups that organize through it. I found a pretty fun 2e game and an extremely disappointing pathfinder game through it.

If I had more free time I could easily be party of multiple tables a week just by signing up through Meetup.

bulbaquil
2015-07-07, 06:13 PM
Seventh for Meetup. And definitely ask your FLGS proprietors (you'll probably need/want their permission to put the ad up in the store anyway). Also consider Roll20/other virtual tabletops, if you're of that sort of mind. (Definitely watch out for time zones/start times/AM and PM going this route). Also consider colleges/universities, if there are any in the area; they can be a decent source of players.

If your FLGS has Magic: the Gathering games or things of that nature going on, you might consider stopping by a bit before they get in to mingle with potential players (though not all M:tG players are going to be interested).

How far are you able/willing to travel for gaming? You might not be willing to do a 2-hour one-way drive for a weeknight, every-week game, but you might consider it for a Saturday every-three-weeks or something of that sort.

Elvenoutrider
2015-07-08, 01:11 AM
I live in a very large city and was unable to find a group I wanted to game with. Call me picky. I went on this forum and recruited for a weekly Skype game. I got an amazing selection of players who knew what they were getting into and dove headfirst into it. I strongly recommend Skype as a gaming platform. If you use maptool you can share your screen to have a battlemap for everyone. If you use a dual monitor setup you can have your notes in one page and your map on the other. Plus if you lose a player, 2 weeks is all you really need to make another post, vet players and characters and recruit someone. I do miss the face to face interaction but having a lot of people to choose from let me pick the right group and now I am running the best game of my 10 year gaming career

Saladman
2015-07-08, 05:24 AM
Meetup has worked for me, though it's sometimes more of a long term solution than a short term one. My local meetup group started small, but over time it's gotten pretty large. We have a non-gaming meetup once a month to meet people and talk about games over pizza and beer. Consistency here is key; I'm told the first couple of those were the same three people, but over time we've gotten pretty big.

Another thing to try is advertising and running one shots. Your local game store would probably be happy to let you run something there if you ask. That lets people get their feet under the table without committing to a campaign or a rule system they may not be sure about. And it lets you get a look at how they play and them get a look at how you GM before anyone's committed to coming over to your place every week.

joca4christ
2015-07-10, 06:06 PM
Warning: This may be stalker-ish.

1 Hang out at your local library/bookstore.

2 Watch what titles people are buying/checking out.

3 If fantasy (or whatever genre your game falls under) strike up a conversation.

4 Eventually bring up roleplaying games and find out if they have played.

5 If they have, get more details, and see if they know or are available

6 If they haven't, ask them if they would be willing to try it out.

7 If they are, teach them.

The majority of the people who play at my table I have met outside of a game store. I have engaged them in conversations about geek related things to get a read on them, and then just plain asked them about rpgs. If they are video gamers, this is easier. I actually have cultivated a nice group by doing this. The majority of them I have had to teach how to play. But so what, I get to play. It is awesome!

noob
2015-07-10, 06:15 PM
Abuse loopholes in dnd and create players(only from the point of view of game mechanics this way does not gets you real players only RAW players)