PDA

View Full Version : PoR's Fallen Star IC

PoR
2015-06-29, 09:16 PM
Day 1
The Province of Sinaria is a frigid and unwelcoming place. Barely inhabited outside of the great city of Karcau up north, it's littered with small communities living their lives off the harsh and unforgiving lands.

Not known for agriculture or abundance of useful resources, Sinaria is a fairly quite province - far enough from orcish holds of Belkzen to avoid the majority of raids, and not close enough to the World Wound for any notable demonic influence. It hasn't changed much through the centuries - even during the reign of the Whispering Tyrant centuries ago, Sinaria was largely left on the sidelines of Ustalav - but it might all be about to change.

Just several weeks ago, a star tumbled down from heavens with a roar, landing somewhere in the wilderness of Sinaria. You've heard rumours on your way here, that it's fallen near a small isolated village half way across the province. Eager to explore the unknown, you've made your trek through Ustalav post-haste, and your journey is now almost at its end.

You've found yourself on the last neck of the road, in a town called Berus. Even by the Ustalan standards, the locals have been less than friendly and helpful - doing their best to avoid all contact with outsiders like you. Consulting some old maps and bothering enough locals, you've been able to figure out that the main road leading north east of here is the one you'd want to take if you were going to find out the truth about the comet.

In search of information, you've wandered through the main square of the town, noticing a large covered wagon standing in front of a local general store. A weathered wooden sign informed you that "Otto's Goods" sells a "variaty of goodes, tools, and miscellania". A half dozen workers were bringing out notably heavy crates from inside the store, loading them on the back of the wagon. Sitting at the drivers' spot, a dwarf thoroughly wrapped in a furry cloak was barking out commands, trying to coordinate the activity without doing much work himself.

dream
2015-06-29, 11:06 PM
Kriv (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=250646)
Condition: Normal

"Hmph. Locals don't like strangers nosing around. Figures."

The 6'10" ex-soldier wanders across the square and sees the dwarf barking orders. Kriv comes to a stop next to the wagon's diminutive driver,

"Hail, good merchant. Are you from Berus, and are you headed north, because I can pay for a ride on your wagon ...."

The large warrior's deep voice boomed somewhat across the area as Kriv rested a huge gloved hand on the wagon.

ProudGrognard
2015-06-29, 11:36 PM
Magurathi

Magurathi has been on the road for a long long while, and it shows. His equipment is well used but his boots well broken into, but that is not what makes locals give him an even wider birth.

Magurathi knows that being so far from home, a man raised in hot, humid, sunny Sargava is an oddity among the Ustalavians. Even more so when accompanied by a 5 ft leopard, even one that is a queen among the felines. But all that is of no matter to one determined to understand how a star could fall from the sky.

Magurathi approached the merchant to see if he can buy provisions and perhaps transportation. He is thus pleasantly surprised to see what looks like a giant doing the same thing. His teeth flash in a smile. he bows to both dwarf and ...giant?

"I would ask the same, honorable merchant and strangers. I am Magurathi and I have traveled a long way already. Perhaps some accommodation can be reached?"

PoR
2015-06-30, 12:17 AM
As you approach the dwarf closer, you've began noticing details. Comfortable with nonchalantly bossing around several dour workers, he gave airs of an overseer of sorts. A collection of loose parchment sheets laid on his lap, sprawled with hastily scribbled dwarven runes and numbers. A large ornate crossbow laid on the seat nearby, clearly well worn.

The dwarf looked up from his work, measuring up the newcomers. Sitting on his high perch, he still could see eye to eye with the giant who came up to him out of nowhere. Caught in a moment of deep thought, he nodded at him.

"Hail, good merchant. Are you from Berus, and are you headed north, because I can pay for a ride on your wagon ...."

"Berus? No lad... I'm from up north meself. Does Claybeard ring a bell?"

The dwarf winked at the second man approaching the wagon. "My my, aren't I popular today. Yer definitely not from around here, heh. Don' think we even got cats like that."

"I would ask the same, honorable merchant and strangers. I am Magurathi and I have traveled a long way already. Perhaps some accommodation can be reached?"

He sighed loudly, putting away the paperwork for good. "Lemme guess, you folks are here for the thrice-blasted star business, aight? Yer not the first, lemme tell you that. Half tha people in these parts barely leave their homes, an' the past coupla weeks we had all kinds of folks coming around, askin' questions, bothering people."

Loudly blowing his nose on the side of his cape, he continued "I bet it's all fun and adventure fer bright eyed folks like you, but when heavens cast a rock tha' size of a house in tha' middle of yer home it's not all fun an' games..."

"But, yer look pretty determined - ye just might see it with yer own eyes. Archet's 'bout 40 miles north of here, an' it just happens that I'm goin' there meself. I wouldna' mind letting yer two hitch a ride - whatever's left of Archet could use a couple of hands. I'll have to ask my partner, Sinulf, first - we won' be leaving until nightfall an'ways. Yer two can look for him yourself if yer want, I sent 'im off to tha' shop about an hour ago. He's a lil' ratty fellow, a human like you two - gray hair, kinda ol' by your standards."

Meanwhile, the workers were loading the last crate onto the back of the wagon. The autumn sun was steadily approaching the horizon, leaving you with maybe an hour or two worth of light before nighttime.

PeacefulOak
2015-06-30, 01:08 AM
Adema

Adema stands in the shade beside the store, watching the goings-on and listening in on the conversation. His wide-brimmed duster hat is pulled low over his forehead, completely concealing the glowing glyph in the middle of his forehead. The cool wind ruffles the front of his open coat, sending a slight shiver through him. You were right, my friend, he thinks, the merchant is indeed heading for our destination. But... leaving at sundown? Odd.

Moments later, the heavy thoughts of Farduush answer him. Of course I was right. Now, if you have questions for the merchant, go and ask them. There are threats in this land that may be better met in company, so perhaps you should seek companions.

Adema nods at his Eidolon's practical advice, although the scaled cat cannot see him at all from his hiding place behind the stables some fifty feet away. Stepping from the shadows, Adema strides boldly up to the dwarf. Planting his feet wide, he crosses his arms. The gusting wind blows wide his long coat, revealing a suit of scuffed leather with rivets of dull steel. "Did I hear you are leaving at sun-down? An odd time to depart, given the lack of patrols or armed forces in the area. I have some skill at finding my way at night, perhaps I could offer you my services to guard your trip." The lance hanging behind him moves as he rolls his shoulders, and the afternoon sun glints off of the barbs on the back of his cestus.

[roll0] Rolling diplomacy to make a good first impression, and to encourage him to take my offer of assistance.

PoR
2015-06-30, 03:57 AM
Noticing yet another arrival, the dwarf shrugs, dropping his paperwork yet again.

Seeing the new stranger carefully make his entrance, he softens up a little and offers a slight smile.

"Did I hear you are leaving at sun-down? An odd time to depart, given the lack of patrols or armed forces in the area. I have some skill at finding my way at night, perhaps I could offer you my services to guard your trip."

"If there was anythin' to steal, we mighta' had bandits around here. But frankly, the next 40 miles is a mud road with absolutely nothin' - an' I reckon my lil' friend here will be jus' enough for protection." the dwarf said, patting his crossbow. He continued "An' wolves or bears don' rob wagons. If we leave tha' moment ol' Sinulf finishes up, we'll be home by morning - time's money, afterall." "

"Yer not the first askin' for a ride, either. I'll take yer up, sure. My companion might need some convincin' but after a few drinks he probably won't care either way. One of the reasons we're here, anyways - ain't a single drop of wine or ale left in Archet. Rocks fallin' from the sky on top o' the only inn has a few side effects..."

Smileybastard
2015-06-30, 05:29 AM
Nyram

Nyram, about to speak to the merchant or wagon master instead, merely listens and after hearing the possibility of a ride takes out his fiddle and begins to play and then begins to sing a ballad of a group seeking adventure.

Perform(Stringed) [roll0]
Perform(Sing) [roll1]

dream
2015-06-30, 07:02 AM

Kriv grins slightly at the chatty dwarf, then digs a finger into his belt pouch,

"A pity about the ale, but there's always to be casualties from a thing like this. My name is Kriv, formerly of the Great Army*. Here's a tithe to help your man's decision."

The giant of a man slaps five gold on the seat of the wagon, then takes a deep breath, his large weapons shifting a bit on his banded armor. Looking around, Kriv notices the newcomers, gazing at them all in turn, then giving the performer a short nod.

*Taldor

PeacefulOak
2015-06-30, 09:39 AM
Adema appears taken aback by the dwarf's words. "The star fell in the middle of a town, and destroyed a building? That's horrible! I can't imagine that the town escaped such an event without casualties. I hope that I may be of some help in restoring the town, and the spirits of its residents." Adema pauses for a moment, about to turn away, when he suddenly turns back. "Ah, forgive me I forgot to intruce myself. Adema Harani, son of Vance Harani the Paladin. I am a warrior and mage of some skill, and my services are yours, good dwarf."

Adema walks around the wagon and presents himself to the two strangers,, listening to the skillful singing as he goes. "Greetings, strangers. As I said to the dwarf, I am Adema, and I travel to seek the fallen star. Unless I miss my guess," he eyes the two travellers up and down, "you have the same intent. It would seem to me that in an inhospitable land such as this that travelling companions might be of value, as the bard seems to be suggesting with his song."

Adema nods his head towards the singing man, waving a hand to becon him forward. His casual disregard of the wild leopard is noteworthy, as he gave it not even a second glance.

There's a traveler with a large cat here. Kin of yours? Victor's thoughts hold an edge of laughter.

You know full well it is not, Adema. This cold weather has not improved your sense of humor at all. Still, it is likely that they will make worthy companions.

Smileybastard
2015-06-30, 06:49 PM
Nyram

Nyram moves towards the group still playing the fiddle and singing.

PoR
2015-06-30, 08:55 PM
This post might look weird until I get back home and edit in the quotes; I‘m writing this on a tablet in a coffee shop so any kind of serious editing is painfully slow.

Also, gonna use some unclaimed colours for npcs speech before I confuse myself and everyone...

The dwarf looked down at the coins offered by Kriv and shrugged. "Jes' don' forget it was yer idea all along" he offered, deftly palming the coins. "No refunds".

"You fellows are my kind of folks, though! Straigh' forward, no nonsense types... I reckon Archet could use people like you. And hey, it‘s not like yer weren't comin' to oggle th' ruins, an'ways"

He continued to chat with the strangers, clearly starved for company. The workers, having finished loading, began crowding around the fiddler and listening in. One of them, a middle aged man with a full head of ginger hair and a faded white scar on his cheek, has offered a few grimy copper pieces, holding them out on his palm.

"You'd fit right in Karcau with that voice of yours... but I reckon that's not where you're goin', not unless you're terribly lost. Or perhaps you'd be more interested in less sophisticated crowds like us?" he winked at the musician, shoving his coins into the man's pocket and turning away.

Used to the action around him, the dwarf wagon driver continued "Aye, quite a few people died that night. Some were not... so lucky." He noticeably shivered before adding "But it takes mor' than that to drive an Ustalan from his lands. Jes' a few dozen people decided to stay an' rebuild - as a matter o' fact, I'm bringin' back some invaluable tools, at great profit"

PeacefulOak
2015-06-30, 09:17 PM
Adema

"A fate... worse than death? What do you mean by that?"

Adema watches the crowd around the bard, smiling at the memories of his father's home the image brings. Travelling bards and musicians had often visited their manor when passing through, drawing crowds from the village to watch them sing and dance, tumble and juggle. Adema had loved those moments, often spending the time among the commoners to enjoy the performance from their point of view. But of course, the last time... Adema's smile wavers and fails, as he remembers the last minstrel who had come to visit. She had been so beautiful, with a voice like a nightingale. Once their eyes had met, it had been as though she sang for Adema alone, and many had noted the change. Including...

You are NOT responsible for your brother's actions. What happened to that girl... it was not your fault. The Eidolon's thoughts are stern but understanding, and have the sound of something often repeated.

Leave me my regrets, Farduush. Were it not for me, Olregg would have had no reason... A fate worse than death. I have seen the effects... Adema sighs heavily, his appreciation of the music soured by memories.

PoR
2015-07-01, 06:28 PM
"A fate... worse than death? What do you mean by that?"

"Mind ye, I haven' been to th' ruins meself. But some folks tried, and not a whole lotta them came back. Then again, we're simple people down in Archet - maybe a weathered adventurer could muster it."

He scratched his beard, noisily, and yelled out to the workers "If yer bums think I'm payin' ya to lissen to music, git lost. Stay here as long as yer want, jus' don' expect me to pay any more than I promised!"

Continuing, he added "Heard some rumours, tho. Supposedly a monster attacked in th' night, when erryone was runnin' like crazy 'bout the fires an' destruction from th' meteor. Not a whol' lotta folks know wha' it looked like, but some say twas a large feline of some sorts. We don' get many of those up here..."

"Wha's worse, some of th' folks who definitely died that night were seen wonderin' bout the ruins..."

dream
2015-07-01, 07:21 PM

Kriv smiled and looked around at nothing in particular,

"Ha! Now you're whispering ghost tales, little one. I suppose it's to be expected, with all the commotion and strangers about. Probably a game cat prowling the area for easy prey, is all. I'll tend to it. But while you're telling tales, friend, tell me about wealth: where is it in Archet? Who will pay to rid themselves of these stalking nightmares?"

Kriv leaned his huge armored frame closer to the small merchant, causing the wagon to creak a little under his weight.

Smileybastard
2015-07-01, 08:17 PM
Nyram

Nyram ends his song and flamboyantly bows with a big smile. "Well I for one am not afraid and am game to visit regardless of the stories ... and no there is no need to pay for my songs."

PeacefulOak
2015-07-01, 10:26 PM
Adema

The dwarf's words and the bard's flamboyant flourish is enough to break Adema's brief reverie, and his gaze focuses on those before him again. He laughs and extends his hand to the warrior. "A sell-sword, are you? Well met indeed, sir. I think we'll find enough reward to satisfy your desires, even in so small a town. If not..." he shrugs casually, the experience and knowledge we gain are their own rewards."

Adema turns to the dwarf. "How long until you leave, friend? I should rest if I am to accompany you on a journey through the night."

PoR
2015-07-02, 03:45 AM
The sun was teetering on the horizon as the conversation unfolded. The remnants of the day swiftly fled, bringing the peaceful night in its wake. The workers, having received their pay, have dispersed, leaving the musician alone - undoubtedly to face a new day of struggle ahead.

The Claybeard dwarf waited, passing his time in conversation with the strangers, expecting his companion to come back.

"We'll be leavin' soon I reckon. Not even th' locals could handle Sinulf for that long."

Just on cue, a loud group of people have shown up at the nearest corner. Leading the procession, a skinny tall man stumbled drunkenly, attempting to guide two rather burly men rolling a large barrel behind him. Undoubtedly, it was Sinulf.

He approached the wagon, greeted by the dwarf with a tired wave, as the two men behind him began loading the barrel onto it.

Barely aware of the small group of people crowded around the vehicle, he clambered up next to the driver.

dream
2015-07-02, 08:35 AM
Nyram

Nyram ends his song and flamboyantly bows with a big smile. "Well I for one am not afraid and am game to visit regardless of the stories ... and no there is no need to pay for my songs."

Kriv again noted Nyram,

"That's song worthy of commission, for sure. Perhaps you will sing the ballad of this chance gathering to the realm one day."

Adema

The dwarf's words and the bard's flamboyant flourish is enough to break Adema's brief reverie, and his gaze focuses on those before him again. He laughs and extends his hand to the warrior. "A sell-sword, are you? Well met indeed, sir. I think we'll find enough reward to satisfy your desires, even in so small a town. If not..." he shrugs casually, the experience and knowledge we gain are their own rewards."

Shifting around to shake Adema's hand, which is swallowed by the warrior's large gauntlet, Kriv snorts and replies,

"Well met, noble Adema. I've ample 'experience and knowledge' --- more than most my age. Let us pray the gods shower us with flat-gold and gems instead, eh?"

PeacefulOak
2015-07-02, 09:59 AM
Adema

Adema laughs and pulls his hand free, adjusting the leather plates and straps of his cestus. "Easy on the hardware, Kriv!" Looking up, he notes the arrival of the second merchant. Seeing the barrel (presumably of some form of alcohol) being loaded into the last open space on the wagon, he realizes that the time to leave is rapidly approaching.

"Well, it seems that the time to begin our journey together is at hand. I would suggest, despite the worthy merchants confidence, that we sleep in turns during this night of travel."

Smileybastard
2015-07-02, 09:55 PM
Nyram

"Seems a reasonable suggestion if one can sleep on a bouncing wagon."

PoR
2015-07-03, 09:29 AM
With the barrel successfully loaded onto the back of the wagon, the two burly workers dispersed, eager to hide away from the coming night's chill. Sinulf, sitting at the coach seat of the wagon, was beginning to snore, having failed to acquaintance any new comers.

"Never seen 'im like that before... But I s'ppose it's hard to blame 'im - the past few weeks were hard on everyone. Ya'll might as well climb back there - jus' mind the crates. Tha road will be shaky, I can tell ya that fo' sure."

The dwarf climbed down from the driver's seat, to finish the final preparations before the trip. He removed the feedbag from the heavy set work horse, slapping it on the side as he got back to his spot. Pushing slouched Sinulf aside somewhat, he straightened the reins and sat down.

The town square was barely lit by a few lamps as the sun finally descended below horizon; and the dwarf made the point of not lighting the tiny oil lamp hanging off a hook near the front of the wagon.

PeacefulOak
2015-07-03, 10:16 AM
Adema

As the dwarf settles into the seat and prepares to leave, Adema hops up onto the back of the wagon, settling his back against one of the large boxes and using his bedroll as a pillow.

"I hope you don't mind, companions, if I take the first rest? It has been a long day, and I prefer to see the sun rise than the moon." His eyes drift shut.

More to the point, my friend, I don't think you will be able to follow us out of the town unobserved. Rest now, I will call you when I wake.

Behind the stables, the solid form of Farduush the Eidolon fades to grey, then disappears completely.

Standard Action - Dismiss Eidolon. He'd disappear when I actually fall asleep anyways, but I don't want to drag him out of range before that happens.

dream
2015-07-03, 05:04 PM

Watching Adema climb in the wagon and settle, Kriv looks at the others, then removes his pack, setting it on the back corner of the wagon. He then climbs up into the makeshift transport, causing the entire craft to dip and creak a bit as his armor shifts around him. Coming to a full sit, Kriv adjusts his large weapons and kicks the pack underneath him so the others have as much remaining space as possible. Under his breath the warrior mutters,

"Gods be with our horse."

Smileybastard
2015-07-03, 06:49 PM
Nyram

Nyram hops on the wagon and climbs on top of a sturdy crate and sits cross-legged on top. "I'll be on watch!"

PoR
2015-07-03, 09:26 PM
Having waited just enough for the assorted party to find something to sit on or hold on to, the Claybeard dwarf pulled on the reins. "Ho!" he shouted, and the work horse began gathering speed out of Berus' town square. The trip outside of the tiny town has been uneventful, the streets largely empty of people in this hour. The eerie light of moon danced on the water of the local river as the overloaded wagon crossed over the bridge and out of the city.

Ahead of the party laid a long and shaky road north. Much of the trade done through rivers in this region, the roads to less traveled places were muddy trails at best - and the road to Archet was no better. The horse carried the carriage through the night, seemingly unaffected by the dark. The few rays of moonlight were sufficient for the beast's keen eyes, and the dwarf didn't have to do much to guide it across an empty road.

Surrounding plains were covered in undergrowth, with not a light in sight. Dark forest loomed on both the north east and far west horizon, and if one strained their eyes hard enough, they could barely see some hills and mountains far south, beyond Berus.

ProudGrognard
2015-07-04, 12:39 AM
Magurathi

Having himself settled in the cart and with the practical grace of a seasoned traveler, Magurathi makes it a point to both keep his eyes on the road and talk with his fellow travelers.

Chui on the other hand would not be confined to a cart. At Magurathi 's suggestion, Chui walks besides the cart, so as not to spook them.

Perception M [roll0] and C [roll1]
Sorry, I got unsubscribed! Too late now to initiate the chit-chat.

dream
2015-07-04, 08:50 AM

Kriv doesn't sleep. Instead, he watches the night sky and the passing terrain. As the watch shifts, Kriv asks the others a similar question;

"Claybeard speaks of devils wandering about Archet. I've faced some horrors with the Great Army and learned the strength of numbers. So, if there are these nightmares stalking the people there, we'd fare better standing together than alone; I'll cover your back and you for mine. And of course, any bounty that comes from our efforts gets split evenly. What say ye?" "

Kriv has this feat & while it isn't listed, I'm hoping he gets a bonus vs. simple fatigue

Smileybastard
2015-07-04, 09:38 AM
Nyram

Nyram begins to play on his fiddle softly as they ride. "Sounds good to me. I seek stories and know a little magic and discovered the magic in song as well. And know my way around a few weapons." He glances at his bow.

ProudGrognard
2015-07-05, 12:32 AM
Magurathi

Magurathi likes to gaze at the open, starry sky here in the North. It is so different that what he is used. He stays up late, breathing the new scents and stroking the fur of Chui, curled in a ball near the fire. He thus cannot but overhear the discussion of the other men. He approaches with a big, dazzling mile.

"Greetings, Ndogo. I am Magurathi, a Spirit Walker from Sargava. I heard your discussion. Spirits from this art of the Veil and the other I have studied extensively. I know how to feel the Pulse of Mother earth itself. I would also like to join you. Perhaps you would also be interested in learning about this fallen star?"

PoR
2015-07-05, 08:55 AM
The wagon drives on through the night, inching closer and closer to its final destination. There is no sight of civilization anywhere in view - but Chui's nose can tell that the surrounding undergrowth and air above are teeming with wildlife. Scents of bats, small rodents, foxes and even larger animals are written in the wind even when they don't make themselves plainly visible.

White, ragged clouds have appeared in the sky, slowly crowding out the moon. It was beginning to rain - small droplets of cold rain, not enough to penetrate the wagon's crude cover. Somewhere farther west, a thunderstorm raged, its distant sound reaching over the creaking wheels and Nyram's music.

The surroundings slowly changed, the overgrown plains giving way to lightly wooded areas, small clusters of birches and bigger bushes. The quality of the road remained piddling, rain doing little to help it. A flash of lightning, now nearer, has lit up a wooden milepost, blackened and half-rotted from moisture. The engraved lettering read "Archet, 13 miles; Karcau, 55 miles".

You could hear your driver yell out, trying to overpower the ambient noise "We're gettin' there, jus' another hour or two an' we can all dry up near a fire."

dream
2015-07-05, 09:58 AM

Kriv nods at Nyram in agreement,

"Your skills should prove very useful."

Looking at the Sargavean, Kriv's brow furrows with a puzzled expression,

"A Spirit-Walker? Can't say I've encountered such as that before. Spellcasters, yes, but not one who communes with the very Oerth itself. What do you know of this star-fall, wise Magurathi?"

Trying to stretch his legs a bit and sitting straight to avoid cramping, Kriv responds to Claybeard,

"A fire would be ideal and well appreciated after this journey. Perhaps with some meat toss upon it ..."

Kriv's stomach grumbles as if in reaction to the mention of food and the semi-giant fishes a hand into his pack while looking at Magurathi for more information.

PeacefulOak
2015-07-05, 11:30 PM
Adema

Despite the bumping and jostling of the ride, Adema had managed to fall into something resembling a deep sleep. One of the clashes of thunder is enough to rouse him from his rest, and he sits up, lifting the brim of his hat so he can peer through the darkness at his companions. Seeing them either asleep or occupied in conversation, he lifts himself quietly and drops to one knee. He lifts his left hand and lightly presses the tip of a finger to one of the spines of his cestus, until a single bead of blood appears. He presses this finger to the deck of the wagon, and begins a soft chant. His eyes drift closed as he chants, and as they close two different changes occur.

The first is a pale circle of light appearing around the kneeling man, casting a large mottled shadow on the inside of the wagon's cover. The second occurs several seconds later, and is apparent from where Adema's hat is pushed up his forehead. A symbol shining with the same light as the circle begins to appear in the middle of his forehead, looking like some sort of arrow pointing down from the hat towards his nose.

After a minute, the light flares and dies, leaving only the symbol on Adema's forehead. Looking around to see if this was noticed, he tugs his hat back down, concealing the sigil.

Yaaawn... That was a good rest, thank you. This rain, shall I keep my eyes open for trouble? The mental voice is refreshed, and Adema smiles to himself.

You know me well, Farduush. Yes, circle the wagon and stay close enough that you don't lose your strength.

ProudGrognard
2015-07-06, 01:20 AM
Magurathi

Magurathi smells the rain and smiles. He turns to Kriv.

"Wise? That is too kind. I have yet to earn such a name.

...And I will prove it now, by saying that I know very little of falling stars. They are rare and celestial in origin. But Earth has its own beat and attracts them. And they are often accompanied by strange phenomena. That is why we should visit the site of such a thing."

PoR
2015-07-06, 07:56 AM
As the passengers were drowning out the drone of the rain with a discussion, an incredible creak reverberated through the wagon as it came to full stop and tilted heavily on one of the sides.

Thrown across the tight quarters by sheer deceleration, Kriv, Nyram and Adema have managed to hold on to the edges of the wagon and each other, merely jostled by the impact and bruised slightly by the heavy crates rolling unsecured. Magurathi, however, wasn't so lucky - the force of impact have thrown him out of the back of the wagon, prone in the wet dirt.

A loud thump followed by a series of curses and a hoarse shrill cry came from the front of the wagon.

PeacefulOak
2015-07-06, 09:38 AM
Adema

Adema scrambles free of the wagon, dragging his lance free in the process.

"Magurathi! Are you ok?" He scans the area, looking for the fallen shaman.

Farduush, did you see what happened? Check the front of the wagon and tell me what you see.

Through the darkness and rain the sleek scaled form of the eidolon flows in a smooth run from the flanks of the wagon towards the front.

Adema perception: [roll0]
Farduush perception [roll1]
In my last post I had summoned Farduush outside the left side of the wagon, forgot to put in the crunch of the post.

dream
2015-07-06, 11:48 AM

Flustered a bit, Kriv gets up and makes his way off the wagon in just a couple of long strides. There's a splash of water as the warrior lands in the mud near the fallen spirit-walker,

"To arms! This stop feels wicked!"

Kriv charges towards the front of the wagon, unsheathing his Greatsword, the sound of metal scratching metal echoing into the night! He scans the area looking for trouble ....

[roll0] Perception
[roll1]Initiative

PoR
2015-07-06, 06:15 PM
You hear no sounds of battle around the stopped wagon. A quiet patter of rain and distant thunder provides contrast to the loud crash earlier as the party tries to get themselves up to speed.

The loud swearing from the front of the wagon transforms into an argument. You can hear two voices - one you recognize as Claybeard's, and another, a raspy slurred voice, likely Sinulf's.
"Do you look where you're driving!? If my horse broke its leg, I swear you dwarves will be buying me a new horse! No, two horses! And a wagon!"
"Th' road's ****e. If yer want yer money, go ask the countess ye daft drunk!"
" Maybe I will!

Circling around the wagon you notice several details. The front axle appears to be snapped, and one of the wooden wheels in the back of the wagon appears utterly smashed. You notice the likely cause, a large washed out pothole revealing jagged rocks beneath a layer of washed out gravel and mud of the road surface.

In front of the wagon, you see that the horse lying awkwardly, still attached. The dwarf, holding the crossbow, is still on the driver's seat. Sinulf is in the mud below, utterly drenched and awake.

You don't see anything of note ahead, the road leads on as the surroundings become more wooded.

The argument ahead suddenly goes quiet as Farduush and Kriv come in sight.
"What the hell is that thing? And who is that big guy with a sword?! Are we being robbed?!? Help!"
Sinulf's wails fly into the night, unanswered. Coming from somewhere far away, you can hear a lonely howl.
Seeing the familiar giant, the dwarf puts down the crossbow. Shaking his head, he mouths "Och... this'll be a loooong story."

PeacefulOak
2015-07-06, 07:01 PM
Farduush lunges around the corner of the wagon and comes to an abrupt stop at the cries of the drink-addled human. Standing three feet tall at the shoulder, the somewhat feline creature is covered with thick overlapping scales that, when it shakes itself, move almost like fur and create a rustling sound not unlike wind through a field of thick grass. Powerful legs descend to feet which are currently burried in the mud. It's head is quite feline, again scaled and with an impressive set of fangs. In the center of its forehead glows a symbol of a star centred within a shield.

Farduush's mouth opens, and he speaks in a deep resonant voice. "Worry not, dwarf of the Claybeards and human. I am an ally of Adema, here for protection, not threat."

The eidolon bows, extend in one foreleg and tucking its head down before rising again to scan both sides of the road.

dream
2015-07-06, 07:21 PM

Sheathing his sword, Kriv kneels to inspect the damage and sighs,

"Claybeard, how far are we from Archet?"

The warrior stood and eyed the surroundings while awaiting the dwarf's appraisal.

PoR
2015-07-06, 07:43 PM

Sheathing his sword, Kriv kneels to inspect the damage and sighs,

"Claybeard, how far are we from Archet?"

The warrior stood and eyed the surroundings while awaiting the dwarf's appraisal.

"Not tha' far now, lad. I think someone with yer legs could be there in an hour or two..."

The dwarf sighed, wiping off the rain from his face. "Th' cargo's gonn' be more difficult, though."

Sinulf, slowly regaining his composure, have lifted himself off the wet ground and cleared his throat.

"Are you telling me that this man was in the cart the whole bloody time? You do realize that this wagon can't carry that much weight, right?"

"Lissen, we'll discuss tha' later. Kriv, wassit? What the heck is that talkin' cat thing, one of yer friends?"

Smileybastard
2015-07-06, 08:56 PM
Nyram

Nyram clings to the wagon as it tried t buck them off like a bull and then watches the myriad of actions spiral around him.

"Maybe send someone to get another cart?"

PoR
2015-07-06, 11:47 PM
Nyram

Nyram clings to the wagon as it tried t buck them off like a bull and then watches the myriad of actions spiral around him.

"Maybe send someone to get another cart?"

"What, another ride-along? How many more have you got, Glunt?" Sinulf questioned, bewildered.

"Shh. Its yer fault yer can't handle a few drinks, should ha' complained back in town."

Turning back to Nyram, Glunt Claybeard said "Ain' that easy. Archet hasn't got another wagon, th' refugees grabbed jus' about anythin' with wheels and left town weeks ago. I told the tall fellow here, there's jus' a few dozens of us left here, an' buildin' carts ain't exactly a priority when there's no roof over yer head. Bes' we could do is get some people wit' handcarts."

He sighed loudly, "Guess it's gonna be a long walk for you and yer friends. We're kinda stranded here, an' Sinulf and I better stay an' guard the goods. Should be jes' under 10 miles to th' camp, an' maybe triple tha' back to Berus. I sugges' the former, tell 'em Claybeard sent yeh and he's got ale."

"At leas' th' rain is lettin' up. Maybe I'll get a fire goin', I've got some lamp oil jes' for the occasion."

ProudGrognard
2015-07-07, 01:43 AM
Magurathi

Magurathi was about to punctuate his pontification about relative wisdom with a broad gesture when the wagon beneath him did a very un-wagonish turn and send him flying over. Chui, with cat-like reflexes jumped aside, leaving Magurathi with his face in the mud. Literally.

Fearing for the worst, Magurathi is up and scanning the perimeter, druidid light on his fingertips. But there is nothing there, apart from the man and his strange, otherworldly companion. He gets up, a booming laughter escaping him, while letting the rain wash his face.

"There is nothing to do about it. We should walk the two hours towards Archet. The sooner we start, the sooner we get there."

dream
2015-07-07, 08:08 AM

Looking at the wet sky and frowning, Kriv turned and started walking for Archet,

"Off we go then. Knew I should've grabbed a poncho back in that last town. Magurathi, I could use that light up here and you and Adema should mind your cats; I had a cat once --- the meat was delicious. Hah! Nyram, play us a song for traveling, eh!"

Kriv marched methodically into the night and in his deep voice, began singing a song,

"There was an old hen,
that had a wooden leg,
and every d***ed morning,
she laid another egg,
she was the best d***ed chicken,
on the whole d***ed farm .........
and another little drink,
wont do us any harm!"

PoR
2015-07-07, 11:07 AM
Sinulf and Glunt watched the man walk off. They were doing their best to ignore a large blue scaly cat thing still lingering near the downed wagon. The poor old horse, awoken from its apparent stupor, has managed to lift itself off the ground.

"Don' forget this blue feller, eh?! An' tell 'em to send help!"

"Might as well take th' inventory", Glunt grumbled as he walked off to the back of the wagon, wincing from fresh bruises, leaving Sinulf to sit dazedly at the driver's seat. "Yer should probably git goin' too", he said to the stragglers, "Ain't no business sittin' here on th' road, heck I'd go too if I could."
~~

As the earliest dawn came to pass, rain has stopped completely. Slowly, as if afraid to attract attention of more celestial discomfort, the earliest birds have began their song.
The first rays of the morning sun have pierced the ragged clouds...

PeacefulOak
2015-07-07, 11:42 AM
Adema

Seeing Magurathi on his feet and apparently uninjured, Adema walked around the wagon, slipping his lance over his shoulder and into its loop. He stops next to Farduush, laying a hand on his companion's scaly head. "You needn't worry about Farduush, worthy merchants. As he said, he is an ally and my steadfast companion. Now, if you are certain you do not require assistance, we shall indeed be off." With that, he removes his hat and bows, revealing in the center of his forehead a symbol that matches that of Farduush (a shield with a star in its center).

He jogs down the trail to catch up with the singing warrior. About to speak, he stumbles and nearly bites his tongue when Farduush joins in with the giants' song in a rumbling baritone.

PoR
2015-07-07, 09:47 PM
"You needn't worry about Farduush, worthy merchants. As he said, he is an ally and my steadfast companion. Now, if you are certain you do not require assistance, we shall indeed be off."

"Unless yer got another wagon hidden away somewhere, yer might as well be walkin'. Not that I wanna sit here in th' boonies, but there are worse places ta be."

"Havin' a whole keg an' a crate o' food don' hurt either", Glunt chuckled as he started digging around under the driver's seat, looking for lamp oil.

Sinulf, apparently still dazed from the previous night, could only shake his head as more and more unwelcome strangers appeared from out of his wagon.

Smileybastard
2015-07-08, 05:54 AM
Nyram

"What do you expect to happen waiting here?"

PoR
2015-07-08, 06:26 AM
Nyram

"What do you expect to happen waiting here?"

"I reckon someone's ought to keep an eye on th' stuff while ya'll get help. These parts may be remote, but we get trav'lers now 'n then, 'specially wit' all th' recent events. Who wouldn't loot a broken cart wit' nobody 'round? I sure would."

Loweing his voice, he added "An' two people are saf'r than one. Ol' Sinulf probably wants to stick 'round an' bitch at me for ruinin' his cart, 'neways."

dream
2015-07-08, 09:27 AM

Kriv raised an eyebrow at the singing eidolon and without breaking stride, look at Adema,

"I don't mean to alarm ya, Adema, but your cat-beast is singing. He or she or it do that often? I remember a soldier, Skulut, he found this little bitty dragon with butterfly wings that talked. We used to feed it berries and nuts and it would ---- well that was a while back. What manner of beast is this cat, Adema?"

PeacefulOak
2015-07-08, 09:57 AM
Adema

Adema shakes off his surprise and answers. "I have never heard Farduush sing before. As to what he is... Farduush is a warrior spirit that comes at my call, formed by my will to the shape you see beside us." as he spoke, the eidolon' song trailed off.

"... Find us a Bonny lass, and finally get us a piece of that... Oh, no more singing?" Farduush shakes himself, his scales rustling. "Yes, I am a powerful spirit. Where I am from there is constant conflict, and I am well known for my ferocity. As Adema here grows in strength, my form here will become more and more like my true self. To that end, I fight at his side and explore, to see more of this fine world."

PoR
2015-07-10, 02:17 AM
As you walk along the sodden road, the forest gets denser and denser. The sun lazily raises over the horizon, lighting the idyllic, if somewhat rugged, view around you. Here and there you begin to see signs of civilization.

The trees appear to be clear cut in some areas, fresh stumps gleaming in the leftover moisture, and just beyond the bend of the road you see smoke raising from behind an outgrowth of trees. Judging by Glunt's description, this was probably it - the Archet survivor camp, the remaining villagers banded together and unwilling to leave their homes despite all.

As you approach the bend of the road, you see that the wet ground is full of signs of heavy activity. Clearly, in the past few weeks, many logs were dragged and carried through this area, undoubtedly to bolster the camp just a few hundred feet away. Looking from far, it's still easy enough to notice that much of it has been freshly built. A large, and by the looks of it, ancient, farmhouse sits in the middle of the crude camp, its wooden walls covered in cracked white paint. Surrounding it, you can see several cruder structures - several log cabins, freshly built out of untreated wood, some still missing their roofs and doors, surrounded by ragged tents and campfires. Short sections of a dilapidated fence cover some of the camp from your view, and a small observation tower pokes out from behind it, facing the road. It is nothing more than a glorified tree-house, perhaps even less than that - a small covered platform sitting on top of several logs. A person appears to be sitting on the platform, his legs hanging down over the fence.

It's not difficult to see that much of the open area around the road has been forcibly taken back from forest's grasp over the past few weeks - as a matter of fact, you can see several locals heading towards the closest border of the wood, some carrying worn out metal axes and long coils of crude hempen rope, crusted with mud.

Before you're close enough to do anything other than wave or yell greetings, you note a loud rustling coming from the other side of the road. It's distant, but you can't help but notice that it's heading your way. Accompanying the rustling, there is... screaming? The two workers stop in their tracks and take time looking at each other and looking back at the camp, as if eying the distance.

ProudGrognard
2015-07-10, 03:04 AM
Magurathi

Magurathi watches what appears to be a ...lumberjack camp? with curiosity. He points at the others.

"Rafiki, should we try and find shelter there? At least until the rain passes?"

dream
2015-07-10, 08:55 AM

Kriv watched the workers busily manufacturing the new settlement. As the Sun lit the day from above, he removed his helm and rubbed his hair, while running his fingers through his long black hair checking it for bugs.

Then the screams! Placing his helm on, Kriv drew his Great Axe from his back and cautiously approached the treelline,

"Stay behind me, all of you."

Smileybastard
2015-07-10, 09:32 AM
Nyram

Nyram perks up hearing the rustling and screaming, draws his bow and looks for the source of the sound. "Our timing is either excellent or horrible and we shall soon find out which."

Perception [roll0]

PeacefulOak
2015-07-10, 10:00 AM
Adema

The journey had done wonders for the aches and cramps that come from sleeping in a bouncing wagon, and Adema was enjoying having new allies at his side.

As the space around the path opens, Adema lays a hand on Farduush's shoulder, both to keep his friend close and to show any watchers that the eidolon was no threat. The screams and strong rustling sound from the woods catch both their attention, and in an eerily similar movement both their heads turn at the same time. Ready yourself, Farduush.

Slipping his left hand into his component pouch, Adema lifts a piece of cured leather and speaks a brief arcane chant. "Ipsil, farana, entilor, FDGHILBRT!" He touches the fingers of his right hand to Farduush, and the air about the eidolon shimmers for a moment, before fading. Without a word, Farduush lopes a few paces down the road and crouches down, much like a cat readying itself to pounce. Muscles bunched, the scaled feline almost radiates an aura of menace.

Spell cast, Adema unslings his lance moves up to the other side of Kriv from Farduush. "I will fight at your side, warrior. Let us see what challenge approaches!" He makes a strange gesture with one of his hands, and the tip of his lance begins to glow, as do the knuckles and spikes of his cestus. Turning his head to the foresters, he barks "Get back to the camp. One of you, tell us what's coming if you know, then flee."

Cast Mage Armor on Farduush, duration 1 hour, +4 Armor bonus (total AC for Farduush = 20)
Activate Arcane Strike feat (swift action), duration 1 round.
Farduush readies an action to charge the first aggressive (not fleeing) monster that comes into view.

[roll0]Active Perception check for Adema to see how far away the screams are, and if they sound like they need immediate assistance or if waiting is the right option.

PoR
2015-07-10, 02:11 PM
As the party gets ready, the sources of the screams become apparent. A giant woman, easily 11 feet tall, breaks out of the forest's edge, carrying a limp form in her arms. It's not difficult to see blood covering her torso, and a slight limp in her step. Another two men, dressed much alike the workers you've seen, follow soon after her. Chasing behind them is a large furry shape you can easily recognize as a bear.

Magurathi/Chui [roll0]
Kriv [roll1]
Nyram [roll2]
Adema/ Faardush [roll3]

Bear [roll4]
NPCs A, B, C: [roll5] * removed original rolls for B and C; they're pretty much non-combatants and can act on the same initiative (which just so happens to be average and equivalent to roll A)

Order (copied from OOC):

CURRENT ROUND, ROUND 1:
Nyram;
Adema/Farduush;
Bear
Kriv
NPCs (I shouldn't have rolled an initiative for all of them, heh. From now on, I'll just use 1 roll for noncombatants; currently using the first one, which is also the average of the 3 initiatives rolled)
Magurathi

You notice that the bear has been through some tough times recently. Its fur is matted and covered with dried blood on one side, although you're not sure whether it's the bear's or someone else's.

PeacefulOak
2015-07-10, 02:55 PM
Adema and Farduush

As the bear comes running out of the forest pursuing the villagers and enormous woman, Adema and Farduush burst into action. Adema springs forward, closing half the distance between the path and the bear, one hand dipping again into his spell pouch to draw forth a lump of butter. "Cut to the village!" he cries out. As Adema comes to a halt and begins another arcane chant, Farduush sprints across the ground, flowing across the open ground like a dark green shadow to slam into the side of the bear, lashing out with claws and teeth. Adema's chant comes to an end, and the butter streaks from his fingers to coat the ground underneath the bear with a thick layer of slippery grease.

Adema moves 30', angled to come up to the side of the bear that is towards the camp. He casts Grease, targeting the 10' space directly under the bear. Reflex save DC 13 (I think).

Farduush takes a Charge Action and uses Power Attack. Temporary AC 18.
Rolls for attack/damage:
Bite:
[roll0]
[roll1] to confirm crit if needed.
[roll2] damage

Claw 1:
[roll3]
[roll4] to confirm crit if needed.
[roll5] damage

Claw 2:
[roll6]
[roll7] to confirm crit if needed.
[roll8]

Smileybastard
2015-07-10, 09:57 PM
Nyram

Nyram's first thought is for the bear. He sings some soothing words and gestures towards the bear. "Sleep my friend."

Cast sleep on the bear.

DC = 15

PoR
2015-07-10, 11:05 PM
The bear is utterly unaffected by Nyram's spell, continuing on its rampage towards the wounded giant woman. The bear stops in its tracks as Farduush slams into it, raking his claws through the thick fur and throwing a hefty bite. The eidolon's teeth strike true, opening a bleeding wound at the bear's shoulder. At that very moment, the ground below the beast has become covered in slippery grease, but the bear held on, weathering the assault.

Provided with a new target for its ire, the bear rises to its hindquarters, roaring. It brings the claws down on Farduush, narrowly missing the otherworldly beast. Continuing its onslaught, the bear lunges and manages to sink its teeth into the eidolon, leaving a wound.

Not posting NPC rolls in this thread because it'll reveal the modifiers, but I've rolled them elsewhere.
Bear unaffected by Sleep, made save VS Grease fall down effect (but he'd still have to be careful while moving on greased area).
Farduush pounced the bear, missing with both claw attacks but landing a successful bite for 9 damage.
On bear's initiative, (right after Adema/Farduush), he's performed a full attack on Farduush, narrowly missing his two claw attacks but hitting him with bite for total of 5 damage.

Current round: 1
Actions by characters remaining, in order: Kriv, fleeing NPCs, Magurathi

ProudGrognard
2015-07-11, 01:12 AM
Magurathi and Chui
HP9 AC 15 and HP11 AC17 DR5 MV40 Bite +3/1d6+2, 2 claws+3 1d4+2

Magurathi stops pointing at the encapment as he realizes that a wounded bear is chasing the workers and... is that a giantess? Withot taking his eyes from the scene he points to Chui.

"Chui, sambulia!"

Chui 's ears perk up and he starts to sprint towards the bear. Magurathi starts performing a strange small dance and strange shapes coalsesce around Chui as he sprints.

Handle animal [roll0] fails only on 1.
Casting Magic Fang
Chui charges. Bite [roll1] [roll2]

dream
2015-07-11, 04:55 AM

Holding a defensive position between the travelers and the bear, Kriv watched the scene impressed,

"That's good training. Farduush and Chui together should hold their own against it."

Readied Great axe strike if the bear or NPCs attack the group. Kriv can cover a 20' radius.

PoR
2015-07-11, 07:30 AM
As the bear engages Farduush in a brutal melee, the fleeing villagers get past the adventurers. The limp form in the giantess' hands, revealed to be an older male, awakens and tugs her on her tunic. You can hear the loud strained whisper, "Careful, it's almost... over.". The man's form is covered in sticky blood, and several grave injuries can be easily seen through the tears in his simple clothes.

Not stopping for a second, the giantess continues to move towards the village. She eyes the party, clearly not recognizing them, but relaxing visibly as she hears the melee behind. The other two men follow closely, mostly unharmed, one still holding a lumberjack's axe in his hands.

Chui charges at the snarling bear, but his bite never makes it past its thick fur. The bear holds its ground, assaulted by two feline combatants.

Round 1 over; Round two! Nyram, Adema/Farduush, Bear, Kriv, NPCs, Magurathi/Chui; same order as before basically.

Notable happenings: Bear's stopped from its rampage, engaged by two felines. Takes 9 damage from Farduush' bite. Does 5 damage to Farduush. It's a raging bear, it's not particularly smart, so its happy to trade blows with the first opposition.

Smileybastard
2015-07-11, 04:33 PM
Nyram

Nyram frowns as the bear is unaffected by his spell. He begins to sing a rousing song of battle as he watches the creatures fight, moving closer as he sings.

Performance: Inspire courage +1 to hit, +1 damage, +1 vs charm & fear

PeacefulOak
2015-07-11, 08:13 PM
Adema and Farduush

Farduush yelps and snarls in pain as the bear's teeth tear through its thick scales, laying open the flesh on its ribs. Crouched low, the scaled feline edges to the side, forcing the bear to turn on the slippery grease to continue facing it.

Adema roars a wordless challenge, once more making a small mystic gesture to empower his weapons before racing forward with his lance lowered to stab at the rear of the beast.

As Adema reaches the bear, Farduush lunges forward with claws and teeth to savage the face of the bear.

Farduush 5' step to the side.
Adema Arcane Strike, charge attack from a position to flank.
[roll0] to hit
[roll1] to confirm crit if needed
[roll2] damage

Farduush full attack with power attack:
Bite
[roll3]
[roll4] to confirm crit
[roll5] damage

Claw 1
[roll6]
[roll7] to confirm crit
[roll8] damage

Claw 2
[roll9]
[roll10] to confirm crit
[roll11] damage

dream
2015-07-11, 09:32 PM

Kriv maintains his defensive position, making sure Nyram and Magurathi are safe from assault. He also notices the injured man carried by the giantess,

"Magurathi, that man held by the giantess is wounded. Can your spirit-magicks help him?

HO! WOMAN! BRING THAT MAN HERE! WE CAN HELP HIM!"

Readied action to strike any attacker

PoR
2015-07-11, 10:18 PM
Faced with three attackers, the bear attempts to bite back Farduush, missing his neck by a hair. Adema's lance smites him heavily, almost causing the bear to fall back, but not lose ground. Despite heavy bleeding, it holds strong and throws two wild swipes at Chui, raking both long claws through the cat's fur, barely nicking him but managing to successfully grab on. The bear latches on to that advantage, viciously pushing Chui down in an attempt to grapple.

Meanwhile, the runners, hearing Kriv's shout, run up to Magurathi, crowding around him. The gigantic woman carefully puts the wounded man on the ground, adding "It's all over, uncle. I'm getting help!" and looking up at the adventurers expectantly. The other runners, taking the opportunity to catch a few breaths, cautiously look back in the direction of the forest, ready to start running again. "What fortune, jus' as one adventurer disappears, a whole party arrives!", one of them manages to say between heavy breaths.

Bear gets hit by Adema's lance, taking 11 damage but avoiding the crit (confirmation too low). Farduush' wild barrage of attacks fail to have any effect. The bear responds with a bite to the eidolon, missing him, and two swipes at Chui, hitting him but failing to do significant damage due to DR5 (0 damage from claw 1, 1 damage from claw 2). Despite the feline's magical protection, the bear manages to land a hold, successfully entering a grapple with the cat.

The good news are, the bear is now more vulnerable, effectively having 2 less AC and -2 to hit. The bad news are, Chui is being mauled by a bear (who isn't really doing very high damage due to massive damage resistance. Shamans OP cough cough.

The bear appears heavily wounded, not likely to have much more fight in him. He's still enraged and heavily engaged, unwilling to flee despite its many wounds...

Bear -11 damage this round, grappled vs all but Chui;
Chui -1 damage, also grappled;

Grappled: -4 Dex, -2 to hit/CMB unless doing grapple check. Can spend standard action to get out of grapple by overcoming enemy CMD with either own grapple roll (CMB + whatever grapple modifiers if you have 'em/ high enough Escape Artist roll), or can just keep attacking while taking the penalty to hit. Being grappled doesn't really do much in Pathfinder, heh.

Smileybastard
2015-07-11, 11:28 PM
Nyram

Nyram moves quickly to the injured man and sings an arcane song and touches him lightly.

Casts cure light wounds [roll0]

ProudGrognard
2015-07-12, 12:35 AM
Magurathi and Chui
HP9 AC 15 and HP11 AC15 DR5 MV40 Bite +3/1d6+2, 2 claws+3 1d4+2 Grappled

Magurathi nods grimly.

"In other times, I would be able to help,but not today. I have asked for other assistance from the spirits. But Nyram now does the right thing. I wonder, what made the bear so angry?"

Meanwhile Chui, despite being grappled continues to try and maul the bear.

Nature check for Magurathi [roll0] to see what could have enraged the bear.
Atks by Chui bite [roll1] [roll2] Claws [roll3] [roll4] [roll5] [roll6]

The damage to Chui is after DR has been subtracted?

PoR
2015-07-12, 01:07 AM
The bear, still holding the Chui down, receives a heavy raking. The feline's claws pierce the bear's tough hide, drawing blood and opening more wounds despite the bear's dominant position.
The bear roars in pain, clearly severely wounded as a result of such heavy assault by three combatants, and lets go of the cat.

~~~ round 3~~~

The wounded man breathes easier as healing energy passes through him. Still covered in presumably his own blood, he coughs and begins to sit up, grimacing painfully at some of his wounds. "Thanks, I suppose. I'm sure we could handle this bear on our own, but a little pick-me-up never hurts..."
Turning to the giantess, he asked "Nyrea, my dear, are you ok? If I knew how dangerous these forests were, I'd never let these lumberjacks get away with such low fees..."

Short story: Bear gets mauled some more through combined effort of Farduush and Adema, semi-successfully mauls Chui and holds him down. Chui responds with a rake of his claws, wounding the bear further and making him let go of the cat.

Total changes: Bear takes another 11+6 = 17 damage on round 2; Chui gets only 1 damage, thanks to DR.

Round 3 so far: Nyram casts heal on the wounded man; Adema/Farduush next, followed by bear and Kriv (and NPCs and Magurathi)

PeacefulOak
2015-07-12, 02:50 AM
Adema and Farduush

Adema drags his lance free from the thigh of the bear. The beast had thrown its head up at the impact, making Farduush's lunge fruitless but also saving him from the bite directed his way.

Another mystic gesture, another gathering of muscles, and the two launch another ferocious assault on the wounded bear.

Adema uses Arcane Strike, and attacks.
[roll0]
[roll1] To confirm crit
[roll2] damage

Farduush power/full attack:
Bite
[roll3]
[roll4] To confirm crit
[roll5] damage

Claw 1
[roll6]
[roll7] To confirm crit
[roll8] damage

Claw 2
[roll9]
[roll10] To confirm crit
[roll11] damage

Everything is plus 1 for the bard song I forgot. Same to last attack actually...

PoR
2015-07-12, 05:13 AM
The bear, driven back by overwhelming damage, attempts to disengage. Its wounded limbs can't gain traction in the supernaturally slippery ground, throwing it flat on the ground. In its last desperate attempt the bear attempts to rake his claws through Farduush's paws, and snapping at Chui's paws.

The wide grounded swipes fail to gain purchase, but with a loud clash of teeth the bear tears out a small bloody tuft of fur.

Round 3: Kriv, NPCs, Magurathi remaining.

Adema/Farduush' attacks all manage to miss the bear.

Bear attempts to move away from the combat, fails acrobatics check vs grease, fails reflex save vs falling prone, attacks from the prone position.

2 claw attacks vs Farduush miss, bite hits Chui and does 2 damage (after DR5/Magic or whatever; original damage = 7)

dream
2015-07-12, 08:13 AM

Kriv approaches the wounded man,

"Good work, Nyram, surely you saved a life today. I am Kriv, formerly of the Great Army of Taldor. These are my companions, Nyram and Magurathi, both powerful wizards. And the 'bear-slayers' over there are Adema, Chui, and Farduush. What riled that bear so? Explain these happenings so that we can help."

Awaiting an answer from the man or one of the others that appeared with him, Kriv kept his Great axe in hand and glanced over at Adema,

"Let the bear be, Adema. You've made your point."

ProudGrognard
2015-07-12, 10:47 AM
Magurathi

Seeing the bear trying to disengage, Magurathi calls Chui back. Despite the blessing of the spirits, Chui has sustained damage.

"Chui! Shaltos!"

Waiting for Chui to come back, and inwardly cursing for not asking for the Lore of Healing today, Magurathi approaches the formerly wounded man.

"Luck to you, Rafiki. I am Magurathi, a traveler of the world. I am glad you are better, yes, very glad. What happened and the bear attacked? They normally do not do so unless provoked"

Smileybastard
2015-07-12, 03:16 PM
Nyram

Nyram nods in thanks, happy to be of help. His face then turns to a worried expression. "I hope he and the bear will be okay."

PeacefulOak
2015-07-12, 09:30 PM
Adema and Farduush

Hearing the call of his companions, Adema hesitates. Farduush, our companions want the bear left alive. Should we... before the thought could complete, the Eidolon's thoughts cut in, harsh and cold. And leave the bear to suffer infections, madness, and death at the hands of predators in the forest? No, Adema. The only act now is to finish it swiftly. If they are concerned, let us address that once this is resolved.

Adema straightens, his shoulders spreading broad once more. A flicker of his fingers and the tip of his lance once again glows with arcane energy. Farduush gathers himself to tear out the throat of the beleaguered bear. Faces and spirits solemn, they set to their task.

As Farduush lashes at the face of the fallen bear with his claws, Adema centers himself and lunges forward, lance driving before him to pierce the bear just below the ribs, driving up through its lungs and piercing its heart. With a smooth turn, he drags the lance free in a spurt of life blood, letting the lance ride his shoulder as he walks back to towards his allies. His gaze is clear and firm as he meets the eyes of any who look his way.

Adema activates Arcane Strike (swift).
Adema attacks with his lance.
[roll0]
[roll1] to confirm critical
[roll2] damage.

Farduush full/power attack.
Bite:
[roll3]
[roll4] to confirm critical
[roll5] damage.

Claw 1:
[roll6]
[roll7] to confirm critical
[roll8] damage.

Claw 2:
[roll9]
[roll10] to confirm critical
[roll11] damage.

EDIT: Wrote in my kill, hope that's OK. :)

PoR
2015-07-13, 06:44 PM
With the bear vanquished, the lumberpeople have visibly relaxed. One or two have dropped down on the muddy ground, crouching or sitting down and catching their breaths from an intense run just mere seconds ago.

"Phew. Wasn't sure... if I'd make it... back to the camp", the man still carrying the axe offered. He was a middle aged man with a slight, sinewy build and scruffy hair.
"At least we'll be having a feast!" the other lumberjack added. "I don't know what we'd do without the four of ya'll... and your... beasts?" he said to the adventurers.

The robed man carried by the giant woman, now fully conscious and free of his worst injuries, was growing visibly distressed. "The rod! Where is it!?", he shouted at his companions. "If it got lost in the forest... You three know exactly what's going to happen."
The giantess produced a gnarled wooden stick, easily 3 feet long, and tossed it at him. "Relax, uncle. I've got it." Once it left her hands, the rod shrunk down significantly, barely half its original size. The woman's uncle glared at her, grumbling "You know this is a valuable piece of equipment..." but picking up the rod and standing up slowly, holding on to her knee.

He attempted to dust off his clothes, only further smearing his hands in blood and dirt. "Greetings, adventurers. I'm Thalin Rash, and this is my niece, Nyrea. Thanks for stopping that beast from savaging us any further, I s'ppose."

Turning back to the lumberjacks, Thalin said "Bear meat is better than no meat at all. With that damned dwarf taking his sweet time boozing up at Berus, at least we'll have something to gnaw on. Maybe Chet won't even ruin it completely, eh?" More sternly, he added "Ya'll wanna drag that bear back to the camp. Here's some rope."
He grabbed the hem of his worn out robe, pulling on it with force. Instead of ripping, it produced a thick hempen rope. Pulling on it gingerly, Thalin began handing out the coiling rope to the two lumberjacks.

Smileybastard
2015-07-13, 07:57 PM
Nyram

Nyram frowns as the bear is killed. "So what happened with the bear? Why did it attack?"

dream
2015-07-13, 08:51 PM

Kriv returns his Great axe to its harness and rubs his hairy chin,

"Dwarf? Do you mean Claybeard? We were traveling with a dwarf who was bringing supplies here. His wagon broke down and we walked the rest of the distance. I had forgotten to remind you people of Claybeard after the commotion just now. Do you have a wagon so I can pick-up the dwarf and his cargo? Be a shame if bears found him first ...."

Kriv gazed at Thalin Rash, looked at his niece, then stared at Rash once again.

PoR
2015-07-13, 08:54 PM
"I 'unno. Nyrea was helpin' lug a few trees back to the camp when the bear jus' charged at us. Her uncle got mauled an' we all ran..." the man with the axe offered to Nyram.
"These forests are full o' beasts... Wolves, bears, foxes, what have you. Someone getting mauled was bound to happen eventually - at least we all managed to survive." the second lumberjack added, tying Thalin's rope around the bear's midsection.

"Now that I think of it, I think somethin' spooked the bear... It was bloody when it charged at us, an' Thalin's spells didn't do much beyond provoking it further. At leas' Nyrea was still big when it happened, ol' man was as good as dead."

Thalin rolled his eyes. "Please. Maybe if you two would hit the damn bear with that axe of yours, we could have handled it."

"Haha, are you crazy? There's no way in hell I'm getting into a melee with a bear" the axe man retorted. "Even your niece has got more sense than that, spell or no spell."

Hearing Kriv speak of Glunt Claybeard, Thalin turned sharply and responded "Ah, so he's not just drinking our money away in some seedy tavern. I suppose that's good. Too bad about the wagon though, it was our last one after the refugees took just about anything with wheels and ran for it. Frankly I don't know what am I still doing here, this place is horrid! Nyrea is a stubborn girl, she takes after her father... Without me around, she'd probably end up in the ground jus' like him."

Nyrea interrupted "Hey, you don't know that! He could still be alive."

"And you're still wasting your time in the middle of nowhere, regardless of whether Tarlin is alive or not. Do you think this is what he'd want you to do, live in the wilderness like a wild beast? Anyways, back to the dwarf. He could spend a few hours on the road, even if there's another bear around, they're not that predatory. We could definitely use the supplies, though - why do you think we have only one axe among the four of us? Metal doesn't grow on a tree, and it's not like anybody thought of grabbing an anvil when running from Archet. I suppose Glunt's brothers might have something up their sleeves, though - you can never trust those short bearded bastards. Maybe talk to them, they'll organize a rescue..."

Smileybastard
2015-07-13, 09:21 PM
Nyram

"We should check him out, to see if he is dead. Can anyone track?"

PoR
2015-07-13, 09:23 PM
Nyram

"We should check him out, to see if he is dead. Can anyone track?"

"Who, Tarlin? That man hasn't been around for years! He became an adventurer and left Archet, an' we haven't heard from him for months."

Smileybastard
2015-07-13, 09:26 PM
Nyram

"Guess I misunderstood. I thought you said the bear already downed someone."

PoR
2015-07-13, 09:32 PM
Nyram

"Guess I misunderstood. I thought you said the bear already downed someone."

"Oh, that terrible beast mauled me. Bet my bones will be aching for weeks... Thanks for the cure, though."

The wizard shrugged, adding, "I suppose eating it would help. Nothing sweeter than just vengeance."

Thalin tugged on the rope once more, but no more was coming out. He found himself tethered to the bear, with maybe 10 feet of rope in the hands of the two lumberjacks and another 15 between himself and the bear. "This is as good as it gonna get, heave!" His niece joined in on his side, still towering over her companions.

PeacefulOak
2015-07-13, 11:52 PM
Adema

Seeing no one willing to challenge his actions in slaying the bear, Adema plants his lance point first in the ground and fishes out a cloth from his pack. Moistening it from a water skin, he proceeds to wipe the blood and gore from the weapon, watching with interest as the rod is tossed back to the elderly man, shrinking in the process. As he works, Farduush limps over to him and nudges him with its nose.

"I saw the bard use healing magic. I was wounded by the bear, and could use healing. The feline reaches back with its head and gingerl licks at the savage gash in its side.

Adema stands and walks over to Nyram. "By any chance, would you be able to spare some healing for my friend?" He gestures towards Farduush.

Smileybastard
2015-07-14, 05:01 AM
Nyram

Nyram blushes. "Sorry, of course." He sings a soothing song and touches the strange beast.

Cure Light WOunds [roll0]

PeacefulOak
2015-07-14, 09:51 AM
Adema

At the bard's touch the wounds on Farduush's side steam and draw together, the scales overlapping and becoming firm once more. Farduush stretches like a cat, first back then forward with an enormous yawn.

"My thanks, Nyram. That bear savaged me fiercely, and the wounds of this form do not heal without assistance. We owe you a debt." Adema nods his agreement as he retrieves his lance and turns to the rope. He takes a spot just before the large woman.

"Nyrea, was it? I am Adema Harani. It was good fortune that our paths crossed when they did, an enraged bear can be very dangerous. I'm curious, though. I heard it said that your uncle is a Mage of some sort. Was it he that made you this size?

Going for diplomacy, [roll0]

PeacefulOak
2015-07-14, 09:56 AM
Adema

Adema coughs, then speaks again. "Forgive my directness. I was caught off guard when I heard that you too lost a parent to the adventuring life. To this day I seek signs of my mother. It is what drew me here, to the fallen star."

Gregarious lets me reroll diplomacy one per day, so...
[roll0] come on rng, I just sacrificed a bear!

dream
2015-07-14, 12:58 PM

Kriv eyed Thalin Rash and smirked a bit,

"I'll accompany you into the settlement, then. Where might I find the other Claybeard? I will not abandon an ally to the wild and if someone can provide assistance, lead me to them."

Walking over to help the lumberjacks with the bear, Kriv checked his gear,

"Well met, woodsmen! I'll give a strong arm where it's needed. Where is your town guard? Is this whole region not patrolled by some armed company?"

ProudGrognard
2015-07-14, 02:04 PM
Magurathi

Magurathi still looks somewhat distractedly at the dead bear, as he stroked Chui and cleans its wound. There was no need for this. As the bear gets drags, he sighs and starts a low chant, dancing around the body. With his Other Eye, he sees the animal's spirit move on.

"Dear guests, if something spooked the bear, it needs looking into. Bears are patient animals, but dangerous. Anything that could hurt it, should be taken care of. Tomorrow at least.

Ndofo singer and teller of tales Nyram. Excuse my directness.My companion is also hurt. Have your talents reached their limit? It would be a favor if not. But I can also heal him tomorrow myself."

PoR
2015-07-14, 03:48 PM
The woods people adjusted to allow Kriv and Adema to join in. As they walked towards the encampment, conversation went on.

"Yeah, my uncle cast the spell. He's been great help after we were forced from Archet, even if he did manage to lose his spellbook", the giantess told Adema, beginning to visibly shrink. " Looks like the time's up, too..."

"You shouldn't tell every bloody stranger about that!", Thalin interjected.

" Guards? We don't have too many of those, not these days. The countess doesn't give a rat's ass about anything off the opera's stage, and her tax collectors only come about once a year. Not that there's much to collect, after the river became access became blocked off. These woods and some fur on the side is all we got..." the axeman told to Kriv. The second lumberjack added, "we had a wee garrison, too. Not so much, anymore. The starfall took care of that, we're down to jus' three people an' two of 'em are fresh recruits. Got some hunters on th' side but they are busy feeding us on most days now"

"Not that there was ever a need for too many guards here, we barely had a hundred people in Archet in recent years, an' there are a lot fewer now", the axeman noted.

"Yer in with the dwarves, eh?" Thalin asked Kriv, measuring him from head to toe with a less than favourable eye. "Ever since their warehouse on the outskirts of Archet got... Shall we say, evicted, they'vr been hawking their wares from a lean-to in the camp. I'm sure you could catch the rest if 'em nearby, heck, they might even ask you to help with their warehouse situation. My advice, don't go. We already lost a few good men and women to that rotten town, and a whole lot more bad ones. Ha!"

Glancing at Magurathi, he added "I'm OK with any solution that prevents me from being mauled by another bear. Kill 'em all for all I care, those overgrown forest rats are the worst."

PeacefulOak
2015-07-14, 07:27 PM
Adema

Adema bristles at the old mans words. Throwing his weight into the pull, he casts a cold look at the would-be spellcaster.

"I am not 'some stranger', sir. I am a warrior and mage of skill, the son of a paladin of the land. My honour is beyond reproach. If your spellbook is lost, I shall add it to the growing list of needs I am hearing for your camp."

Knowing that his pride has a tendency to get him into trouble, Adema focuses on the task of dragging the carcass. At least the residual grease in the Bears fur was easing the journey.

Adema's Pride has been triggered.
[roll0] strength to do a good job on the pulls
[roll1] diplomacy towards Thalin Rash

PoR
2015-07-15, 09:26 PM
Thalin looked Adema in the eyes, giving him a cold smile.

"You don't look like a proper wizard to me, my good man. And a wizard's spellbook is wizard's concern alone, nobody else's. You're welcome to look for it in Archet, if you dare, though... If it helps, I was staying at The Boar's Head at the time, so the book is probably still there if the whole building didn't burn to the ground. But you should talk to Chet about it, he owned the place... He'll wax all nostalgic about the place, too. I've been to worse inns but he's probably let the place down since the founder died. I heard he was a wizard of some skill!"

PeacefulOak
2015-07-16, 01:45 PM
Adema

Adema continues to haul the bear along with Kriv, the woodsmen, and Nyrea. It would seem that there is a surplus of mages in this camp. Strange that they are facing such trouble with their town. He turns his head to speak again to Nyrea. "If you don't mind my asking, what happened with your father? He disappeared some months ago?"

PoR
2015-07-16, 09:15 PM
Overhearing the question, Thalin interjected.

"Her father, or my brother as it may be, has left this town with his little troupe of adventurers. No matter our differences, I really can't blame him for leaving - this town has no future! Especially now. I've been trying to get Nyrea to leave too, but she's stubborn like her father..."

"He's just mad that they took some scaled freak sorcerer instead of him..." Nyrea muttered.

ProudGrognard
2015-07-17, 01:14 AM
Magurathi

Walking with Chui by his side, Magurathi steals one more glance at the forest.

"I would rather see what has gone wrong in that forest. There must be slightly mabaya going on, for bears to act such. But if you all want to head for the town, I will follow"

PeacefulOak
2015-07-17, 01:37 AM
Adema

Adema hear's the druid's words, and nods understanding. "I hear you well, friend. Let us escort these worthy woodcutters to their camp and then return here to investigate the forest if you wish. I too desire to understand what drove the bear to such rage."

PoR
2015-07-18, 06:13 AM
Approaching the camp doesn't take very long, even with a heavy beast dragged behind you. The buildings are still wet from the rain, the heavy wooden logs clearly uncured and crudely and recently assembled. As you get past the gate, you hear loud snoring from the guard platform above.

Gawkers gather on the outskirts as you pull your burden, talking loudly. It's not hard to note how old and emaciated some people are - it's pretty clear that there are few capable workers or warriors left. You overhear snippets of conversations: "More adventurers? Wha' happened to Otto an' his crew?""If the Lady of Graves can't help us, who can?" "Look at tha' bear! We'll be eatin' tonight!"

"Hmm, I was sure that he'd be back by now. They left, what, 4 days ago? Archet isn't tha' far... Ill news." Thalin noted, without a great deal of concern. "I suppose we should take the bear to Chet, he'll know what to do with it."

Thalin stops abruptly by one of the largest log houses that is still missing a complete roof. Barely legible name is cut into one of the logs by the entrance, "Hag's Hed".

"OI! Chet! Come out, we got somethin' for you!"
Turning back to his companions, he dismissed the lumberjacks. While someone clambered inside the unfinished inn, Thalin explained "This ain' much of an inn, not like the real Hog's Head. But Chet here is somewhat of a quartermaster for this sorry lot. He cooks for the camp, helps Myrtle make sure everything goes smoothly. Speaking of which, you should go see the old hag at some point if you plan to stay here for long - you could hardly miss her, she's in the big farmhouse. You know, the only building that doesn't look like it was built by drunken ogres."

Smileybastard
2015-07-18, 09:24 AM
Nyram

Nyram listens to the conversations bouncing around. "What is mabaya?"

dream
2015-07-18, 02:40 PM

Kriv stretched and yawned, looking around the area. He decided to look for anything out of place until 'Chet' arrived.

[roll0]

PoR
2015-07-18, 03:29 PM

Kriv stretched and yawned, looking around the area. He decided to look for anything out of place until 'Chet' arrived.

[roll0]

The inn is very recently built out of massive logs. You didn' t see any heavy machinery or especially capable looking workers in the camp so far.

"What is it this time?", a booming voice asked as the inn's door opened, revealing a short potbellied man wearing a dirty apron. " I told you that there would be no more payments until the job is finished, damn it."

The newcomer, clearly Chet, took a few moments to take in the picturesque group of people (and a dead bear) in front of him. "Who the hell are you?"

dream
2015-07-18, 09:10 PM

Looking down at the portly man, Kriv raised his eyebrows,

"I am tired. Is there a room available here? Mayhap a bath?"

PoR
2015-07-19, 02:30 PM

Looking down at the portly man, Kriv raised his eyebrows,

"I am tired. Is there a room available here? Mayhap a bath?"
"Don't got much to offer at th' moment but I could rent ya a tent an' a sleeping bag fer a few coins. An' the dinner will be good in a few hours... Bear stew or bear steak, by the looks of it. Good luck with the bath, though - Myrtle's got the only one around. Can offer a bucket and point ya to the well, though."

The portly man chuckled, and turned to Thalin. "So I'm guessing this is yer way to make up for the delays, aye? The bear better be on the house or you can go to bed hungry tonight."

ProudGrognard
2015-07-19, 03:21 PM
Magurathi

Magurathi turns to Nyram and laughs a booming laugh

"Mabaya? I am sorry, I keep slipping to my mother tongue. Mabaya is evil, unnatural, not of this world, out of place. All of these together or one of these. My people use it a lot.

Ah, here we are, at the inn. It looks better than a chieftain 's tent right now. Yes, innkeeper, a place to sleep and a bath would be heavenly now. And yes, this bear is for eating. Its spirit has passed on.

Tomorrow, perhaps we can check the woods and see what has happened. Yes, Adema?"

Smileybastard
2015-07-19, 09:51 PM
Nyram

Nyram nods at Magurathi.

Nyram frowns mildly at the disappointment of no beds, but his smiles returns as he pulls out his fiddle and begins to play, sing and dance and then break down into laughter.
"Lets not be all grumpy and sad at what we don't have and celebrate what we do!"

"I really need to learn to dance."

Sing [roll0]
Stringed [roll1]
Dance [roll2]

PoR
2015-07-19, 10:49 PM
"A performer, eh? This town could use a bit of cheering up. The other adventurers weren't the fun kind... The lady of graves may not bring too much cheer but she's a pillar of life here in Ustalav. I hope Otto is alright, though - he did a lot to keep up the morale and enforce order here in the camp."

"The day is still young but you may be worn down by the road... We don't have much, our supplies are barely enough for ourselves - but I just might have a few mattresses lying around. No roof though, so yer might as well set up a tent."

dream
2015-07-20, 07:17 AM
The demi-giant warrior nods down at Chet,

"Very well. Got my own sleeping gear. But, it's still early and I've a dwarf to find. Can you tell me where to find the Claybeard business or home? We have personal business."

Kriv rests his massive hand on the counter next to Chet and pats his foot as Nyram gets into a song,

"You play that fiddle like none other, Nyram, but you're right; you do need to learn to dance!"

The warrior laughs loud then turns his attention to Chet again ....

PeacefulOak
2015-07-20, 11:45 AM
Adema

Adema surveys the encampment with a critical eye as they enter, noting the fresh-hewn nature of the structures. Farduush stays close to his side as they enter, counting on the proximity to the group to allay any anxiety that the strange creature might cause. The bear delivered, Adema stands and stretches, then rests a hand between Farduush's shoulder blades, further re-enforcing that the creature is not a threat.

"For myself, my magic is mostly spent for the day and I would be willing to rest. If you prefer to head back out and seek, in the moment, the cause of the bear's distress I would be willing to work with that as well. I think that is the most pressing concern, having happened so close to the camp. Later we can look to investigating the town and the site of the crash."

PoR
2015-07-20, 12:21 PM
"Very well. Got my own sleeping gear. But, it's still early and I've a dwarf to find. Can you tell me where to find the Claybeard business or home? We have personal business."

Thalin, tired and still reeling from earlier injuries, bid farewell to Chet and adventurers, walking off to his home. His niece, still curious, remained nearby and did her best to absorb the conversation. The small crowd of locals has mostly dispersed, some staying back to listen to Nyram's performance, taking a perilous choice between leaning back against sticky wooden cabins or sitting in the mud. The autumn sun did little to remove signs of an earlier rain...

"Personal business, eh? Lemme guess, they hired you to clear their warehouse for them? They've been offering a decent sum to quite a few locals... I suppose despite all the recent misfortunes the 'Beards still have deep pockets. Didn't help the few people who went there and never came back, though.

The damn place's still too close to Archet, an' I hear it's riddled with traps! Even Otto, another adventurer, denied the offer... although maybe he's got some other reservations, bein' a cleric 'n all."

Chet scratched his balding head, and began pacing behind the wooden counter, still barely dried and full of splinters, gathering a variety of knives, hatchets and other ominous sharp tings that could be crudely described as improvised butcher's tools.

He winced, saying "Suppose I should get started on that bear. If any of youse want a tent, jus' go behind the counter and look into the pile by the chest, I'm sure you can find something to yer liking. We can talk money later."

Walking out of the doorway, he turned and said "Oh, an' about the dwarves. You can probably find one of 'em on the east side, jus' a minute or two away. You won't miss their house, it's rather embellished compared to all these hovels. Deep pockets, heh, probably paid Thalin quite a sum..."

Nyrea, having found a window of opportunity with Chet's exit, spoke up. "Ol' Chet here has a big mouth. He still misses the old inn, I think. I could show you to the Claybeards' place before I go back out, if you want? You could hardly get lost here, though"

dream
2015-07-21, 06:03 PM
The armor-clad mercenary looks down at the young wench and extends a hand towards the door,

"Lead the way, then, fair Nyrea. I might need a beautiful woman to defend me from irate dwarves."

He beckons the other heroes with a wide wave,

"Walk with us, friends. Nothing like new friends with deep pockets, eh?"

Smileybastard
2015-07-21, 08:25 PM
Nyram

"I have a tent big enough for two." He smiles. "Deep pockets are fine, but there are far better things."

Nyram begins to play and sing song of beautiful women and great adventures.

ProudGrognard
2015-07-21, 11:07 PM
Magurathi

After making sure Chui is safe and warm, Magurathi sits close to the others. Nyram's song makes him smile and laugh in appreciation.

"I will have a place here, by the fire. I have slept in worse conditions."

dream
2015-07-22, 11:38 AM
Looking back at his companions, Kriv suggests,

"If you prefer resting here, I'll check things out with Claybeard and bring back word of my findings."

PeacefulOak
2015-07-22, 11:46 AM
Adema

"I'll walk with you, friend. Good to stretch after hauling that bear." Adema stretches and rolls his shoulders, falling in step beside Kriv.

Farduush, stay close but scout around the border of the camp if you can. Look for any signs of trouble. The thought prompts Farduush to rise with the sounds of rustling scales. The beast bows low to the chieftain, and speaks. "By your leave, I will scout around the camp to ensure there are no threats." Farduush lopes off, threading his way between the buildings before stretching to his full pace, circling the camp and watching the ground and surrounds for any signs of trouble.

Farduush stays within 100' of Adema at all times, hopefully that gets him around the camp.
[roll0] Perception
[roll1] Search for suspicious tracks or signs of trouble.

PoR
2015-07-22, 02:59 PM
As the assembled party walks towards the outskirts of town, Nyrea leads the way and continues to talk about recent events and rumours. It's not difficult to tell that she's happy to have left Thalin behind.

The dwarves current dwelling is a fair distance from the rest of the camp's newly erected buildings. Whether it's due to secretiveness or inherent distrust is hard to tell at this point...

The Claybeard home looms closer and you already begin to notice some differences from the rest of the camp. The building is built from the same hardy logs and rough hewn materials, but it is more squat, its walls fortified by a layer of dug up earth. A large firepit, lined with bits of blackened coal can be seen just a few meters away from the entrance.

dream
2015-07-22, 05:49 PM
The ex-soldier looks over Archet and the Claybeard home in the fast-approaching distance,

"Adema, remind me to buy a horse. All this walking reminds me too much of my days as a foot soldier. Hard, long days.

Nyrea, your company has made the trip enjoyable indeed. How is it such a fetching young woman as yourself isn't married?"

PeacefulOak
2015-07-24, 03:52 PM
Adema

Adema chuckles at the warrior's jest. "If we ever pass my home I will show you my father's stables. He has quite the collection, though none match his personal mount. With your weapons I would suppose you prefer to fight from the ground? Weapons weighted like yours would be awkward from horseback."

dream
2015-07-24, 10:06 PM
"Horses make for travel, not battle. I've seen heavy cavalry destroyed by barbarian hordes with not a horse to them. No, you will never see me charging with a lance and horse. I'll leave that to you. Hah!"

Kriva watched the terrain shift from untamed wilderness to rural lands.

Was there anything left of this place? Was there ever anything here? he thought.

PoR
2015-07-25, 05:05 AM
Hearing the tall warriors insistent praise, Nyrea responded.
"Oh, you flatter me! Truth be told, most youths don't stick around in Archet . Those who are fortunate enough go off to Karcau's Institute, or join the Countess' borderguard, and many others just seek better lives elsewhere... Sinaria is a wild place, with few opportunities and fewer realized hopes." She sighed, uneasily.
"I suppose if it wasn't for Thalin's insistence, I'd leave this place already. But where else would I go? This is home. And the people need me more than ever since this whole mess started..."

As you approach the Claybeard home, you notice how unfriendly it looks, even compared to the rough hewn temporary houses in the camp. The few windows, mere gaps cut in wood, look more akin to murderholes, barely big enough for a hand - or the business end of a crossbow. Probably a sensible design without any glass or metal at hand, but hardly welcoming.

Nyrea approached the door, her somber demeanor from minutes ago evaporating as she shamelessly hammered the door. "Oi! Glunt's in trouble, an' you got visitors!"

dream
2015-07-26, 11:14 PM
The warrior raises his eyebrows and smiles at Nyrea's forceful salutation. He also braces himself, just in case their reception is colder than desired ....

If there are any hostilities, Kriv will draw his Greataxe.

PeacefulOak
2015-08-07, 09:34 AM
After an uncomfortably long pause, Adema steps up next to the door and pounds it firmly with his fist.

"Open, dwarves! We bear news of your kinsman and his cargo. Also, we bear news of a bear slain and in preparation for dinner."