PDA

View Full Version : Can Devil get Lycanthropy?

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-06-29, 10:49 PM
Can a pure-fiend get a magical disease of thropy?

Can a half-fiend get it?

What about Fiend-Blooded?

Whats your opinion?

Dusk Eclipse
2015-06-29, 10:54 PM
RAW? Nope, Lycanthropy only affects Humanoids of Giants, and since Devils are Outsiders they are immune to it.

AmberVael
2015-06-29, 11:02 PM
Define "fiend-blooded." The class? A fiendish bloodline? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm)

In theory, you can have a Lycanthropic Half-Fiend, it just takes a bit of work to do. And it doesn't involve the half-fiend catching lycanthropy (since they can't) so much as a lycanthrope catching half-fiend. Which, as it turns out, IS possible.

Essentially, while a half-fiend is immune to lycanthropy, if you apply lycanthropy first then there is nothing stopping you from applying the half-fiend template afterwards. Normally this is restricted to a natural lycanthrope (since afflicted lycanthropy would necessarily be applied after birth, at which point the half-fiend template is already in place), but if you can find another way to apply the half-fiend template afterwards (such as using the Nar Fiendbond spell) then you can get it to work too.

I mean, its still not a devil getting lycanthropy, but it does result in a half-fiendish lycanthrope.

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-06-29, 11:19 PM
Define "fiend-blooded." The class? A fiendish bloodline? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm)

In theory, you can have a Lycanthropic Half-Fiend, it just takes a bit of work to do. And it doesn't involve the half-fiend catching lycanthropy (since they can't) so much as a lycanthrope catching half-fiend. Which, as it turns out, IS possible.

Essentially, while a half-fiend is immune to lycanthropy, if you apply lycanthropy first then there is nothing stopping you from applying the half-fiend template afterwards. Normally this is restricted to a natural lycanthrope (since afflicted lycanthropy would necessarily be applied after birth, at which point the half-fiend template is already in place), but if you can find another way to apply the half-fiend template afterwards (such as using the Nar Fiendbond spell) then you can get it to work too.

I mean, its still not a devil getting lycanthropy, but it does result in a half-fiendish lycanthrope.

Fiend-Blooded class well fluff wise yes. In my opinion it like a 1/4 fiend blooded. I guess it more mechanics thing in the end :(

Uncle Pine
2015-06-30, 01:42 AM
If you're interested, Advanced Bestiary is a (good) 3rd party book with tons of templates. One of them is called "monstrous lycanthrope", an extended version of the MM's lycanthrope template that can be used to create were- versions of any living creature and applied to any living humanoid, monstrous humanoid, giant or other creature with a generally humanoid form. Yes, it can be used to create things like weretreant balors. YMMV, I personally think it's awesome.

Ruethgar
2015-06-30, 11:24 AM
Also Human Heritage lets anything fluffed as distantly human descended to be afflicted by thropy.

Rubik
2015-06-30, 08:56 PM
Also Human Heritage lets anything fluffed as distantly human descended to be afflicted by thropy.It also makes undead immune to anything that normally only affects undead (such as turning and rebuking).

Dusk Eclipse
2015-06-30, 09:23 PM
I think what you both mean is that Human Heritage is a silly feat. :smalltongue:

Necroticplague
2015-06-30, 09:40 PM
Also Human Heritage lets anything fluffed as distantly human descended to be afflicted by thropy.

Keep in mind that Evil Outsiders are usually made out of evil souls. So if the soul the Devil used to be was from a human, the result would be descendant from a human, thus qualify for Human Heritage.

Rubik
2015-06-30, 09:41 PM
Keep in mind that Evil Outsiders are usually made out of evil souls. So if the soul the Devil used to be was from a human, the result would be descendant from a human, thus qualify for Human Heritage.See: undead in the same situation.

Necroticplague
2015-06-30, 09:52 PM
See: undead in the same situation.

Oh trust me, I know. Have had a couple Ghosts that used that trick.

atemu1234
2015-06-30, 10:09 PM
If you're interested, Advanced Bestiary is a (good) 3rd party book with tons of templates. One of them is called "monstrous lycanthrope", an extended version of the MM's lycanthrope template that can be used to create were- versions of any living creature and applied to any living humanoid, monstrous humanoid, giant or other creature with a generally humanoid form. Yes, it can be used to create things like weretreant balors. YMMV, I personally think it's awesome.

I enjoy the book, but that template is one I find... irritating. The CR adjustment for it is just poorly done.