PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew ideas

Submortimer
2015-06-30, 12:42 AM
Greetings, fellow giants!

I, like most of you here, have a great love for homebrewing; in the absence of material from Wizards, this community has made a ton of really excellent, top quality game stuff. To that end, I'd like some input on what the theme of my next several homebrew ideas should be!

A few weeks ago, I tossed out four different Dragon themed Subclasses, met with varying approval, and more recently I've been working on a collection of Meta-themed, 4th wall breaking, tounge in cheek subclasses. What would ou guys like to see/what do you guys need? My next goal is to continue from "The Enhanced', a warlock patron themed very heavily after Mega Man, and do a Capcom Collection: Strider Rogue or Ranger, Bionic Command Fighter, Ansatsuken Monk, that kind of stuff.

Feel free to dorp some input, all suggestions will be taken!

Prince Zahn
2015-06-30, 02:46 PM
One thing that my friend and I would probably like to see might be some Marvel superhero inspired subclasses, if you feel up to it. :smallsmile:

Also, I'm fascinated with scarecrows, too , lately, even though there's a monster for that, it would be a cute idea for a playable race if you're in a Wizard of Oz mood, or alternatively, a subclass of two that builds and commands scarecrows would also be welcomed for a jolly good horror adventure. :3

If all else fails, you're always welcome to contribute to our 5e Binder (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?412419-PEACH-Binder-class-(WIP)) discussion. maybe make a 5e vestige or critique an existing one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19394949&postcount=86). :) same goes for everyone else.

DracoKnight
2015-06-30, 05:23 PM
Greetings, fellow giants!

I, like most of you here, have a great love for homebrewing; in the absence of material from Wizards, this community has made a ton of really excellent, top quality game stuff. To that end, I'd like some input on what the theme of my next several homebrew ideas should be!

A few weeks ago, I tossed out four different Dragon themed Subclasses, met with varying approval, and more recently I've been working on a collection of Meta-themed, 4th wall breaking, tounge in cheek subclasses. What would ou guys like to see/what do you guys need? My next goal is to continue from "The Enhanced', a warlock patron themed very heavily after Mega Man, and do a Capcom Collection: Strider Rogue or Ranger, Bionic Command Fighter, Ansatsuken Monk, that kind of stuff.

Feel free to dorp some input, all suggestions will be taken!

Honestly I would like to see what you could do converting some of the bipedal monsters in the MM into PC races. :D
Half the fun of playing D&D is your race and how it interacts with the world, I find :)

Ralanr
2015-07-01, 05:21 PM
Emotion based subclasses? Because Pixar and I think it'd be interesting on what class would get happy.

Bonus points if you somehow do barbarian without using anger.

Steampunkette
2015-07-01, 05:34 PM
How about a "Bonded Weapon" martial character?

Someone who has an ancestral weapon that improves as they level up and gives them access to new and fantastic abilities.

You could make sub-classes for Poison/Death/Assassination dagger(s), a Violent/Wild/Destructive great axe, and a Holy/Honest/Righteous longsword.

Could be nifty. And be a way to bring a Swordsage feel without using the Swordsage class.

CantigThimble
2015-07-01, 07:04 PM
An idea from a mechanical rather than flavor perspective: Someone who can cast each spell they know once per short or maybe long rest.

Ralanr
2015-07-01, 08:11 PM
An idea from a mechanical rather than flavor perspective: Someone who can cast each spell they know once per short or maybe long rest.

Depending on how many spell levels that person would have access to, that may be horribly broken.

CantigThimble
2015-07-01, 09:56 PM
Depending on how many spell levels that person would have access to, that may be horribly broken.

Well, it depends entirely on their spell list and how many spells they learn. Most casters will take 1-2 primary spells per spell level that they expect to use regularly and then grab situational spells just in case, this would be a quite different casting style.

Steampunkette
2015-07-01, 10:12 PM
D6 HD, no armor or weapon proficiencies, only divination spells.

It might frustrate a DM endlessly, but it wouldn't be OP.

Ralanr
2015-07-01, 10:57 PM
Well, it depends entirely on their spell list and how many spells they learn. Most casters will take 1-2 primary spells per spell level that they expect to use regularly and then grab situational spells just in case, this would be a quite different casting style.

Points taken.

Prince Zahn
2015-07-02, 02:36 AM

Besides the execution, such a class depends strongly on whether the DM can appreciate divination magic for what it is - a tool for players to learn new information. :smallsmile: throw in cute stuff from the 3.5 psionics like a Object reading, or Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions (under a better name), give him Portent or something, and you got a class that is 20 levels of pure DM Candy. when you make a short-rest diviner, your DM should be telling his lore, and having plot monologues ready and revealing world information with this class in mind.:smallbiggrin:

Steampunkette
2015-07-02, 03:41 AM
How about a Warlock style caster with no 6+ spell slots, an extra attack, and a bunch of investigative abilities?

Keep most of their spells buffing, debuffing, movement, and convenience. Give them some at will casting options like invocations, and call them Inquisitives.

Fluff the class out as magic wielding scientific explorers, and give them their int mod to weapon damage.

Submortimer
2015-07-02, 05:01 AM
How about a Warlock style caster with no 6+ spell slots, an extra attack, and a bunch of investigative abilities?

Keep most of their spells buffing, debuffing, movement, and convenience. Give them some at will casting options like invocations, and call them Inquisitives.

Fluff the class out as magic wielding scientific explorers, and give them their int mod to weapon damage.

I had been thinking about how to do actual Inquisitors, and I think this might be the exact way. I like this while idea a lot.

Submortimer
2015-07-02, 05:04 AM
Emotion based subclasses? Because Pixar and I think it'd be interesting on what class would get happy.

I saw Inside Out. I could see this being very interesting.

Bard: Joy/Disgust/Sadness
Sorcerer: Anger
Warlock: Fear

Prince Zahn
2015-07-02, 05:12 AM
I saw Inside Out. I could see this being very interesting.

Bard: Joy/Disgust/Sadness
Sorcerer: Anger
Warlock: Fear

I haven't need Inside Out yet :O Please spoiler any spoilers ...
That being said, I think a Sad Barbarian sounds fascinating.:smallsmile:

Ralanr
2015-07-02, 10:13 AM
I think a monk might get joy.

Whoever gets joy is going to be smiling and having a blast in combat. That's how I imagine it anyway.

ziggy_killroy
2015-07-03, 10:18 AM
A martial class that gets Brute like Bugbears and the Gladiator. Because I need to hit stuff harder.

Submortimer
2015-07-03, 06:36 PM
A martial class that gets Brute like Bugbears and the Gladiator. Because I need to hit stuff harder.

You always need to hit stuff harder :-)

Steampunkette
2015-07-03, 08:52 PM
How about something more romantic?

Put together a Romancer class which uses social skills, magic, and even combat prowess to help form relationships and follow their progress for the express intent of writing them down to be shared throughout the ages?

Maybe a Bard Subclass that works with love potions and the like?

Submortimer
2015-07-03, 11:08 PM
How about something more romantic?

Put together a Romancer class which uses social skills, magic, and even combat prowess to help form relationships and follow their progress for the express intent of writing them down to be shared throughout the ages?

Maybe a Bard Subclass that works with love potions and the like?

Firing on all cylinders, Steam.

OKay, so, here's the list I'm gonna start chipping away at:

- "Bonded Weapon" Class: This will be somewhat similar to the old Unearthed Arcana "Legacy Weapons" classes. It'll be one primary class with only a couple abilitites, and a few subclasses that emulate specific types of legendary heroes
- "Brute": Either Make a specific "Combat Brute" feat, or build it as a Fighting Style
- Capcom Collection: I still want to make a Strider class, a Bionic Commando Subclass, and an Ansetsuken (Ryu/Ken/Akuma) Monk Subclass.
- "Cyrano": Romantic Bard Subclass. He will woo you with sweet nothings whispered in your ear. Then the rogue will stab you in the lung.

DracoKnight
2015-07-04, 03:24 AM
I think a monk might get joy.

Whoever gets joy is going to be smiling and having a blast in combat. That's how I imagine it anyway.

I could almost see Rogues getting Joy then.

Steampunkette
2015-07-05, 08:18 PM
*eagerly awaits Homebrew*

Submortimer
2015-07-07, 04:36 AM
The Scion is up! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?426238-Class-Scion&p=19500265#post19500265)

Submortimer
2015-07-10, 01:24 AM
The Brute Subclass and Combat Brute Feat are up! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?426879-Fighter-Martial-Archetype-Brute&p=19514187#post19514187)

Submortimer
2015-07-11, 06:41 PM
Here's the Vanguard, for your approval! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427140-Fighter-Martial-Archetype-Vanguard)

JNAProductions
2015-07-13, 12:47 PM
You know what I think would be cool? A Doll race. Probably with subraces of China Dolls, Action Figures, Straw Dolls, and possibly more.

I'd do it myself, but I'm not that good at race homebrewing.

Submortimer
2015-07-15, 02:29 AM
Finally completed the Ansatsuken Monk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427978-Monastic-Tradition-Way-of-the-Assassinating-Fist-(Ansatsuken)); Now you too can be just like Dan Hibiki!

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-15, 04:34 AM
You know what I think would be cool? A Doll race. Probably with subraces of China Dolls, Action Figures, Straw Dolls, and possibly more.

YES! Do it, Submortimer, do it, do it, do it, DO IT!

I MUST PLAY A RAGGEDY PRINCESS EXPY!

Submortimer
2015-07-15, 04:45 AM
YES! Do it, Submortimer, do it, do it, do it, DO IT!

I MUST PLAY A RAGGEDY PRINCESS EXPY!

I....will give this a shot

Submortimer
2015-07-15, 01:02 PM

Alright, Here you go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?428019-Race-The-Matryoshka), ya filthy animals.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-15, 01:11 PM
Alright, Here you go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?428019-Race-The-Matryoshka), ya filthy animals.

^________^

Tntjj
2015-07-15, 03:48 PM
Here's my idea, a class that has no abilities aside
From the ability to know exactly what the DM/GM is going to do at random points. Would be very funny

Ralanr
2015-07-16, 04:21 PM
What about something along the line of a flame based druid circle? I had an idea for a character but it looked like the only way I'd be able to play him is to take druid levels and I don't like any of the circles.

It's a Jack-o-lantern with a club and a penchant for fire. I was hoping to combine it with Trickery Cleric (Thorn Whip + Invoke Duplicity) but the combos are not coming in.

Submortimer
2015-07-16, 06:51 PM
Here's my idea, a class that has no abilities aside
From the ability to know exactly what the DM/GM is going to do at random points. Would be very funny

Honestly, that's not really enough to work with for a whole class. Maybe a SUBCLASS, but that's kinda what the Bard College of Ooc and the Warlock patron: The DM i made are for.

What about something along the line of a flame based druid circle? I had an idea for a character but it looked like the only way I'd be able to play him is to take druid levels and I don't like any of the circles.

It's a Jack-o-lantern with a club and a penchant for fire. I was hoping to combine it with Trickery Cleric (Thorn Whip + Invoke Duplicity) but the combos are not coming in.

I'll give it a shot. I haven't made a druid circle yet.

JNAProductions
2015-07-16, 10:42 PM
Ooh! Idea! You should make GitP Regulars as Archetypes! Like Easy_Lee or Sharkforce! Or, heck, Submortimer! :P

Ralanr
2015-07-16, 11:05 PM
Ooh! Idea! You should make GitP Regulars as Archetypes! Like Easy_Lee or Sharkforce! Or, heck, Submortimer! :P

I support this thought process.

Submortimer
2015-07-16, 11:49 PM
I support this thought process.

Hmm...I like this a bunch, but I will have to do some more research to determine the best/most appropriate subclasses for each.

Submortimer
2015-07-17, 02:14 AM
Okay, list of GitP regulars to expy into subclasses:

Easy_Lee
Shark force
Ralanr
JNAProductions
Person_Man
Steampunkette
Submortimer (cause I can :smallsmile:)

Any others?

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-17, 03:39 AM

Easy_Lee
Shark force
Ralanr
JNAProductions
Person_Man
Steampunkette

Any others?

Eleazzaar, Kryx & Shining Wrath, maybe?

Though I don't see how you could make a person into a class... As much as one may admire and seek to emulate someone, it's surely a little ridiculous to say "I am going to become a legendary Easy_Lee". On the other hand, it'd be hilarious if, in a thousand years' time, people do actually say that on a semi-regular basis...

Submortimer
2015-07-17, 04:11 AM
Here are my ideas so far:

Easy_Lee: Monastic Way of the Relaxed Fist (cause his name reminds me of a lazy Rock Lee)

Sharkforce:Primal Path: Tooth and Fin (Shark Barbarian)

Ralanr:Primal path: Iron Frenzy (Armored Barbarian)
Steampunkette:Rogue Archetype: Clockwork Trickster (steampunk-ish rogue)
Person_Man:Rogue Archetype: The Everyman (shape-shifter, abilities that keep him non-descript)
JNAProductions:Wizard School: Archivist (kinda like the old loremaster mixed with the Mage of the Arcane order) or Ranger Archetype: Prestige Hunter (Cha based ranger that hunts down big monsters for sport and prestige)
Submortimer:Warlock Patron: Immortal God King (turns you into an immortal god king)

Not really.

Warlock patron: The Trident (submarine/underwater-themed patron)

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-17, 04:47 AM
Here are my ideas so far:

Easy_Lee: Monastic Way of the Relaxed Fist (cause his name reminds me of a lazy Rock Lee)

Sharkforce:Primal Path: Tooth and Fin (Shark Barbarian)

Ralanr:Primal path: Iron Frenzy (Armored Barbarian)
Steampunkette:Rogue Archetype: Clockwork Trickster (steampunk-ish rogue)
Person_Man:Rogue Archetype: The Everyman (shape-shifter, abilities that keep him non-descript)
JNAProductions:Wizard School: Archivist (kinda like the old loremaster mixed with the Mage of the Arcane order) or Ranger Archetype: Prestige Hunter (Cha based ranger that hunts down big monsters for sport and prestige)
Submortimer:Warlock Patron: Immortal God King (turns you into an immortal god king)

Not really.

Warlock patron: The Trident (submarine/underwater-themed patron)

Ah, so they're mostly based on the display name. I guess that makes sense.

I should probably be a racial feat available only to sentient giant tiger prawns...

Steampunkette
2015-07-17, 05:35 AM
A: Holy crap, I am a regular?!

B: Perfect choice!

Submortimer
2015-07-17, 05:48 AM
A: Holy crap, I am a regular?!

B: Perfect choice!

Well, you show up in most of the threads I post, so yes, at least from my perspective.

Also, I want an excuse to make a steampunk-ish rogue. Don't judge me. Whatever. You wanna fight about it?

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-17, 05:54 AM
so yes, at least from my perspective.

I'm inclined to agree: the quality of your contributions certainly outweighs the short time you've been a member (not that I can talk, being even newer).

Submortimer
2015-07-17, 05:56 AM
Ah, so they're mostly based on the display name. I guess that makes sense.

I should probably be a racial feat available only to sentient giant tiger prawns...

Ninja Prawn
Pre req:
- Small size
- Sneak attack class feature
- Con 13+
You are a stealthy little bugger, and you're particularly good at sneaking through the water.
- You gain a swim speed equal to your normal movement speed, and you can hold your breath for three times as long as normal.
- You have advantage on Stealth checks while fully submerged in water.
- You may apply your sneak attack bonus to a creature that is in at least chest high water.

Boom.
(Drops mic)

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-17, 06:03 AM
Boom.
(Drops mic)

Man, you're on fire right now!

Ralanr
2015-07-17, 07:39 AM
Damn I'm eligible!

And I love the concept!

JNAProductions
2015-07-17, 09:58 AM
Woot! I'm on the list! I honestly did not expect that.

This is some good work you're doing, Submortimer.

Submortimer
2015-07-17, 06:01 PM
Woot! I'm on the list! I honestly did not expect that.

This is some good work you're doing, Submortimer.

Heck, of course. I just expect to see all this stuff in the compendium ;-)

And thanks!

Michael7123
2015-07-17, 08:56 PM
Id love to see a homebrew paladin oath designed for chaotic nuetral characters. Devotion is classic LG paladin, Vengence is more LN (maybe TN), Oathbreaker can be any evil, and ancients can be any good alignment.

Now that I think about it though, Chaotic Nuetral doesn't really get along well with the concept of "oaths" in general :P

Submortimer
2015-07-17, 09:47 PM
Id love to see a homebrew paladin oath designed for chaotic nuetral characters. Devotion is classic LG paladin, Vengence is more LN (maybe TN), Oathbreaker can be any evil, and ancients can be any good alignment.

Now that I think about it though, Chaotic Nuetral doesn't really get along well with the concept of "oaths" in general :P

I see it a bit differently

Devotion: LG

Vengance: CG

Ancients: NG

Oathbreaker: Evil, LN, or CG

Even so, I'll take a shot at it....

Oath of Selfishness

A paladin that takes the Oath of Selfishness swaps out all of his paladin levels for an equal amount of Rogue levels.

:smallbiggrin:

Dominuce2112
2015-07-17, 11:21 PM
Id love to see a puppeteer class, a gunner class (like hand cannon gunner), maybe a dragon barbarian subclass...ummm... oh a blighted druid! A druid that see nature in the long term as entropy. All of nature will eventually wither and die... he will speed up the process.

Submortimer
2015-07-17, 11:48 PM
Id love to see a puppeteer class, a gunner class (like hand cannon gunner), maybe a dragon barbarian subclass...ummm... oh a blighted druid! A druid that see nature in the long term as entropy. All of nature will eventually wither and die... he will speed up the process.

Dragon Barbarian I made a while ago, check it out Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420199-Barbarian-Primal-Path-Path-of-the-Dragon)

Submortimer
2015-07-18, 12:23 AM
I'm a Shark, I'm a shark, I'm a F*&@#$% Shark! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?428524-Barbarian-Path-Path-of-the-Fin&p=19548273#post19548273)

Michael7123
2015-07-18, 12:32 AM
So I just had an idea: what if there were warlock patron subclasses designed around specific beings in the general D&D universe? Instead of just having general patron abilities, you gain abilities specific to your patron. A warlock of Levistus wouldn't be getting a bunch of fire related abilites this way (just to name one example).

I've already started on one of these patron classes. You can look at it here, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?428516-Michael-s-Specific-Warlock-Patron-1-Archduchess-Zariel-Lady-of-the-First) just know that it's not complete as of right now.

Submortimer
2015-07-18, 01:12 AM
So I just had an idea: what if there were warlock patron subclasses designed around specific beings in the general D&D universe? Instead of just having general patron abilities, you gain abilities specific to your patron. A warlock of Levistus wouldn't be getting a bunch of fire related abilites this way (just to name one example).

This isn't a bad idea at all. My plate is a litthe full ATM, but I wouldn't mind working on something like this, mostly cause I need a warlock that has made a pact with the Lady of Pain.

Plus, it makes the pact stuff feel more like 3.5 vestiges; heck, Acererack and Ashraldon ended up that way, why not others?

Submortimer
2015-07-21, 01:38 AM
Here's what I made for Easy_Lee, the Monk of the Relaxed Fist! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?429113-Monastic-Tradition-Way-of-the-Relaxed-Fist&p=19560983#post19560983)

Prince Zahn
2015-07-21, 02:06 AM
This isn't a bad idea at all. My plate is a litthe full ATM, but I wouldn't mind working on something like this, mostly cause I need a warlock that has made a pact with the Lady of Pain.

Plus, it makes the pact stuff feel more like 3.5 vestiges; heck, Acererack and Ashraldon ended up that way, why not others?
It's like I have a 6th sense for when someone mentions vestiges :smalltongue:

Anyway, I've lately been trying to work on a sort of roguish archetype that harnesses elemental air. Sounds a little like an airbender But better tailored to a graceful, sneaky-stealy rogue with a little party support. In my vision, This rogue could use precise and strong enough forces of air to emulate various toolsets, maybe guide arrows, make better leaps or landings, maybe blow herself and her adversary back... It's still in the works if you wanna help or make something of it.:smallsmile:

Submortimer
2015-07-21, 02:12 AM
It's like I have a 6th sense for when someone mentions vestiges :smalltongue:

Anyway, I've lately been trying to work on a sort of roguish archetype that harnesses elemental air. Sounds a little like an airbender But better tailored to a graceful, sneaky-stealy rogue with a little party support. In my vision, This rogue could use precise and strong enough forces of air to emulate various toolsets, maybe guide arrows, make better leaps or landings, maybe blow herself and her adversary back... It's still in the works if you wanna help or make something of it.:smallsmile:

That's something I could work with...lemme get a few more of my current projects done and I'll see what I can do. Speaking of vestiges, did you see my take on the whole "Warlock as a binder" thing? It's in my signature thread.

Submortimer
2015-07-21, 10:34 PM
RALANR, FURIOUS BARBARIAN OF IRON, TAKE UP YOUR AXE AND FELL THE GIANT BEAST! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?429272-Barbarian-Path-Path-of-Iron&p=19565320#post19565320)

Ralanr
2015-07-22, 07:09 AM
RALANR, FURIOUS BARBARIAN OF IRON, TAKE UP YOUR AXE AND FELL THE GIANT BEAST! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?429272-Barbarian-Path-Path-of-Iron&p=19565320#post19565320)

By my hand it shall be done!!!!

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-22, 10:10 AM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhOnX8qt3I

Not a barbarian, but definitely happy murder time.

I think a guy that goes by the screen name Eiji-kun (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/User:Eiji-kun) made a bunch of 'plushie' styled races and classes for 3.5. Maybe I can try to get his insight on that sort of thing. Nevermind, Sub's a one man think-tank. Gj though.

Easy_Lee
Shark force
Ralanr
JNAProductions
Person_Man
Steampunkette

Any others?

I'd like to try and think of myself as a regular, at least in viewing terms.

Does anyone have a class that can use this:

On the Chin
As a reaction to a creature within 5 feet of you being targeted, you may instead become the target.

and this

Not the Face
As a reaction to being targeted, You can force the source creature to make a Wisdom saving throw, on a failure you can cause a creature within 5ft of you (other than the source) to become the new target. Saving throw DC = 8 + Deception modifier, or 8 + Prof + Cha.

Prince Zahn
2015-07-23, 03:53 AM
Speaking of vestiges, did you see my take on the whole "Warlock as a binder" thing? It's in my signature thread. mother of pearl how did I miss that?! :smalleek: I'll post there shortly, before the thread is legally dead!

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-23, 10:30 AM
I have a request for a subclass. My friend wants to DM a campaign with a Monster Hunter setting (custom creatures and everything) and I would like some assistance in making a thematically appropriate warlock patron. I've seen Submortimer's 'The Enhanced' patron and like where some of the abilities are at with it and think that it would be neat jumping platform for this.

Most of the other players in this group (I think all of them) play the series of games, but I do not, absolutely no patience for the grinding involved. So here's a some of the things I do know about the series:
- Find fight/capture large powerful and exotic creatures that are potential walking micro apocalypse's
- Carve off pieces of creatures to turn into awesome gear that have special features based on the compiled parts
- Artisans tools are part of hunter life; mining, gathering, farming, crafting, potions/poultices, etc.

The DM has all but banned all other full casters with various reasoning. Mainly, he does not want to deal with higher level magic output and basic wizardly problem solving. A bit extreme, yes, but its his world so w/e I've done the dragonlance dance as a cleric during 'the age of mortals' so not unfamiliar territory.

Anyway help would be appreciated. I'll keep my eye out if someone kicks off a thread for this.

Submortimer
2015-07-24, 12:46 AM
I have a request for a subclass. My friend wants to DM a campaign with a Monster Hunter setting (custom creatures and everything) and I would like some assistance in making a thematically appropriate warlock patron. I've seen Submortimer's 'The Enhanced' patron and like where some of the abilities are at with it and think that it would be neat jumping platform for this.

Most of the other players in this group (I think all of them) play the series of games, but I do not, absolutely no patience for the grinding involved. So here's a some of the things I do know about the series:
- Find fight/capture large powerful and exotic creatures that are potential walking micro apocalypse's
- Carve off pieces of creatures to turn into awesome gear that have special features based on the compiled parts
- Artisans tools are part of hunter life; mining, gathering, farming, crafting, potions/poultices, etc.

The DM has all but banned all other full casters with various reasoning. Mainly, he does not want to deal with higher level magic output and basic wizardly problem solving. A bit extreme, yes, but its his world so w/e I've done the dragonlance dance as a cleric during 'the age of mortals' so not unfamiliar territory.

Anyway help would be appreciated. I'll keep my eye out if someone kicks off a thread for this.

What are you looking for it to do, exactly? Most of what you're talking about here seems like it would fit more appropriately into Background Design. I could see you building a warlock around the idea of refluffing a Gun or Crossbow user from MH, but other than that I don't totally know how I would change it.

An idea, though, in keeping with the MH theme: Refluff the Warlock abilities to be some form of trap or bomb or gadget. I built a (more or less) mundane version of Starlord (from Guardians of the Galaxy) off that idea, with all of his spells being genades or gadgets, his levetiate at will being his rocket boots, devil's sight coming from his mask, and Eldritch blast being his laser pistols.

He made extensive use of the Friends cantrip, which I attributed to his ability to speak quickly and piss off EVERYONE.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-24, 01:35 AM
He made extensive use of the Friends cantrip, which I attributed to his ability to speak quickly and piss off EVERYONE.

Hah. That should be the spell description:

Friends
Enchantment Cantrip

You talk really quickly and piss everyone off.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-24, 08:23 AM
Ok lets see if I can toss over some of the ideas I had.

1st level - Similar to Sub's 'Enhanced' patron. Make your own armor, eventually gain special properties based on the materials used. If you want to use armor that you did not make, you need to spend a long rest adding the armor to your known 'augments'. (maybe that bit is best made as an invocation for the specific patron).

6th level - Funny trick / Defensive / Utility ?

10ht level - Pick up to 2 energy damage types, gain resistance. Then you gain 2 random vulnerabilities.

14th level - 'Blue Magic' You learn through experience how to recreate the effects of another creature. You can learn any number of techniques, but can only equip 1 to start and gain an additional technique slot at 17th and 20th level. Can learn techniques in number of ways, often by combining multiple methods. Active study of specimen, autopsy, or being directly exposed to the effects.

For the 14th level I wanted to recreate the main feature of the Blue Mage from the final fantasy series.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-30, 09:10 AM
Alright because of the lack of personal inspiration I'm scrapping the aforementioned patron idea and instead moving forward with my other projects. Apologies if my requests or presence killed the thread, I will try to keep to more constructive contributions.

As it stands I will be making parts and pieces inspired by one of my other hobbies, Magic the Gathering. I think I'm finished with my Red inspired sorcerous origin the Pyroclastic Bloodline (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?430605-Sorcerer-Bloodline-Pyroclastic-PEACH). The next chunk will be patrons based on each color (mainly because I love the wonky mechanics of the Warlock).

Submortimer
2015-07-30, 12:22 PM
heh, no worries, you didn't kill the thread. I've been off for about a week, and i'm kinda stuck on one particular idea. Hopefully I'll get some inspiration soon.

Ralanr
2015-07-30, 12:47 PM
heh, no worries, you didn't kill the thread. I've been off for about a week, and i'm kinda stuck on one particular idea. Hopefully I'll get some inspiration soon.

I know that feeling. I'd recommend listening to some classical (or epic when in YouTube) music. Helps me out when I'm in a rut.

Steampunkette
2015-07-30, 01:17 PM
The Eberron Soundtrack helps me out a lot.

That and Gavin Dunn/Miracle of Sound.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-30, 01:37 PM
While we're all offering musical tools for the carving of writer's block, I'll add that I find nothing beats a bit of Mogwai for such purposes.

RazDelacroix
2015-07-30, 10:51 PM
I am a terrible human being, and as such while I am currently working on my own conversions for shipping D&D 3.5, 4th, and d20 Modern/Past/Future stuff to my 5th edition campaign, I think I'm going to toss some ideas so I can spread the work around. Insert evil laugh here.

How would you go about for creating a Fighter - Gunslinger - subclass?

Should we worry for a Ranger - Vigilante - subclass to reflect that very underused prestige class from the 3.5 Complete Adventure book?

Think we will ever see our beloveable Bariaur race again?

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-30, 11:47 PM
i believe that twelvetrees has a 5e homebrew index on this forum that has most of what you're looking for.

cant spell the guys screen name for the life of me but dibasat has a gunslinger archetype for the fighter in his subclass thread.

and i saw our batman prestige class floating around, maybe with some sort of hound reference in the title.

as for the extraplanar centaur goat people. . . idk, take a look at the races in the index. maybe they're there.