PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Converting ability poison to damage?

Buddha's_Cookie
2015-06-30, 01:10 AM
CON damage is nasty stuff on either end of the table, we can all agree on that.

I have been reading through the old Diablo 2 game books for early 3.0 (I think?) rules. I have been wanting to run it and I know several people in my group that would want to play it. What I don't like is that the poisons don't really translate very well from the PC game to the table top. The poison does straight CON, instead of the games damage over time.

So would there be an appropriate conversion to some type of on going damage? By the books this temporary damage ranges from 1 to about 1d6 for a number of rounds. To borrow from 4e, would on going 5 (or appropriate number) be to much? save ends or a set duration?

I get that CON damage was DnD's early way of handling poisons and venom, but when set bosses and special uniques that are known for poison anyone "tanking" I feel will die far too quickly to straight CON damage.

P.S. Looking over the book again I see that other creatures that cause other ability damage through poison, I would still rather have this damage be straight HP damage as well. I know there can be some benefit for the monsters to debuffing players attribute scores. I just feel that ability damage is to much for non min-maxers like my group.

rockdeworld
2015-06-30, 03:22 AM
Quick and dirty custom rules:
1. Replace "Con/Dex/Whatever" with "hp" (and nothing permanent)
2. Ignore secondary damage (and drow poison)
3. One dose of poison smeared on a weapon or some other object lasts until the end of combat (not just one target) - or 10 rounds, if you need a precise measure
4. Divide all costs by 10.

For an "ongoing damage" replacement: Instead of inflicting poison damage with each hit, a failed save makes a character "poisoned" for the next minute, during which time they take the noted damage. Subsequent poisonings may only increase duration.

Buddha's_Cookie
2015-06-30, 05:01 PM
3. One dose of poison smeared on a weapon or some other object lasts until the end of combat (not just one target) - or 10 rounds, if you need a precise measure
4. Divide all costs by 10.

Your quick and dirty rules number three and four I will not need to worry about. Monster poison is triggered on special attacks and players access to poison is limited weapon enchantments and splash weapons (read: no weapon oils).

For an "ongoing damage" replacement: Instead of inflicting poison damage with each hit, a failed save makes a character "poisoned" for the next minute, during which time they take the noted damage. Subsequent poisonings may only increase duration. Maybe not a minute, but that is more the idea I was toying with.

Undertucker
2015-06-30, 06:13 PM
You may want to have a look at the way Pathfinder does poisons, if you haven't already. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/poison
They are a more incremental 'tick'/round until you make a save, instead of the large amount straight away and then secondary damage which often occurs after the combat is over anyway. Plus it also includes rules for multiple doses stacking to increase the save and duration.
The examples given deal ability damage, so you may want to change that to HP damage still. But it's a bit easier to stomach some con damage when you dont take as large an amount after just 1 failed save.

atemu1234
2015-06-30, 09:17 PM
You may want to have a look at the way Pathfinder does poisons, if you haven't already. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/poison
They are a more incremental 'tick'/round until you make a save, instead of the large amount straight away and then secondary damage which often occurs after the combat is over anyway. Plus it also includes rules for multiple doses stacking to increase the save and duration.
The examples given deal ability damage, so you may want to change that to HP damage still. But it's a bit easier to stomach some con damage when you dont take as large an amount after just 1 failed save.

I think I prefer 3.5's method, but that's just me.